for those who scored > than 12 on VR. . . .

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

javandane

He's so hot right now
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
did any of you use EK 101? seems that most people who've commented on EK 101 have scored in the 10-12 range. looking for perspective from those in the 13-15 range. . . .

Members don't see this ad.

Kaplan for a 14. My best advice to you is to read (anything) A LOT! It will help you improve your time, your vocabulary, and your comprehension. Read Time magazine before getting in bed, read a chapter of the bible in the morning when you get up, read the back of the cereal box at breakfast (ok, that might not help too much). Also, I would study for VR right after you study for a science section. Maybe spend an hour on PS and then switch immediately and do an hour in VR. One of the hardest aspects in VR is the "switch" in thinking that needs to be made between PS and verbal on test day. Training your brain to adapt quickly to different types of thinking will allow you to "get into the swing of things" faster on test day. Good luck!

I didn't study for verbal beyond taking the AAMC practice tests and reading the reasoning behind their answers. I was an English major, maybe that helped. 13 on verbal.

Members don't see this ad :)
13 here. I have to confess that im one of the naturals everyone hates. I had bad asthma as a kid so I read a lot instead of sports. BUT for a serious recommendation, read "Molecular Biology of the Cell" cover to cover. Not only is that an exercise in pure reading, but you will be greatly prepared for the bio sections. And any other upper level undergrad bio courses you may need to take. One of my classmates at my school did this and scored a 42.

I got a 13 too with just TPR even though I never felt any of their advice was particularly helpful. I've only started reading a lot recently, so you can do it without being a lifetime avid reader. As for reading a cell bio textbook cover to cover, I can't imagine much worse torture. I'd just suggest doing some practice exercises and trying to really understand why you got certain questions wrong.

It seems like the trend is that if you're scoring well anyways (12+), you don't really need any more materials. Therefore, those people never opt to buy the EK101 book. Most people buy that book because they suck at verbal to begin with. I know the only reason I bought it was because my verbal diag was an 8 and I needed a lot more verbal practice.