For which of the author's assertions is there NO support

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doyourealize1

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone else have absolute convulsions over these problems? I spend 2 mins on these questions because I have to fish around blindly...PLEASE HELP! :( :(

Members don't see this ad.

doyourealize1 said:
Anyone else have absolute convulsions over these problems? I spend 2 mins on these questions because I have to fish around blindly...PLEASE HELP! :( :(

I ***king HATE those questions... A lot of times the answer is something totally unrelated to the passage, or the opposite of what the author says... Check for that first...

when i read the explantions in verbally reasoning i usually still think im right.

"your answer was ok but this answer was better"

and i want to say "no your answer is ok but mine was better"

but its a piece of paper so theres not much use.

i guess it helps to make a mental note when you see the author giving an example of something.

Kikaku21 said:
I ***king HATE those questions... A lot of times the answer is something totally unrelated to the passage, or the opposite of what the author says... Check for that first...

Those are the hardest verbal questions, IMO. The notion of "support" is rather vague. The answer tends to be an assertion made towards the end of a paragraph. For example, if an author discusses something for a paragraph, and then the last line they throw in a one-sentence "Also,..."

One or two of the answer choices may be designed to trick you as well. The question is NOT asking you to assess the validity or strength of the author's assertions. Sometimes an answer choice may be a weak assertion or one the author goes on to discredit.

You might be able to glean the answer from just assessing the answer choices. Look for which answer choice is the most specific. That is, which one would there be a least likely/most difficult for their to be supporting evidence in the passage. Typically, this might be if the author makes an assertion based on his/her own deduction or theory.

I find these really tough as well. I tend to pick the answer that seems good because it's not something really stressed in the passage but it's not an assertion that the author has made. I think that aspect of it is tricky, and you have to make sure that it's actually an assertion of the author's which he didn't support well.