For you Dead Fans out there...

Started by thegenius
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I finally got dual monitors set up on my computer. I was lazy and never did it.

As you can see, SDN on one and...you guessed it....on the other.

dual monitors.jpeg
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
@thegenius PS: Nice Dark Star. Man, I love that Mind Left Body jam at the end. Sweet perfection.

Is it a true MLB jam? I seem to recall some heated debate that the 4/8 is somewhat of a hybrid and not a true MLB jam.

Nevertheless it’s probably a top 10 Dark Star of all time, maybe even top 5 for some. The last bit is something special.
 
I'm doing some pseudo Europe 72 listening now too. Although I'm cheating and listening to 4/11 Newcastle on 4/10. And I'm cheating a little again and listening to all the good bits (of which there are many...) like the Truckin, He's Gone, TOO, Dark Star, Playin' Drums parts.

Also, Europe 72 was officially released years ago and the sound quality is stunningly good. One of the best things I ever ripped from the internet
 
I'm doing some pseudo Europe 72 listening now too. Although I'm cheating and listening to 4/11 Newcastle on 4/10. And I'm cheating a little again and listening to all the good bits (of which there are many...) like the Truckin, He's Gone, TOO, Dark Star, Playin' Drums parts.

Also, Europe 72 was officially released years ago and the sound quality is stunningly good. One of the best things I ever ripped from the internet
Yeah. I have the full extended Europe '72 as one of my spotify playlists and it's frickin' awesome. Just pure sweetness, all the way through. Having Pigpen still, with Keith's other-wordly keys at the same time, is just too good to be true.

Today, I'm listening to 4/10/78 which is pretty loose and wild, but I like it.
 
Just noticed this show from today in ‘78 has Salt Lake City done as a sound check. Never played it during this show and didn’t bust it out for 17 years, then never again! Weir-d Lol

Interesting - how is the song on that version? Like, do you hear anything to make you think, "Yeah, I can see why they put this one away for awhile"?
 
Interesting - how is the song on that version? Like, do you hear anything to make you think, "Yeah, I can see why they put this one away for awhile"?

This is great...I never knew that. Love to learn new things.

During this sound check they are stopping and going all the time.

It's a pretty plain jane song. Maybe that's why they didn't play it regularly.

Apparently St. Stephen was "complicated" to play and Jerry stopped enjoying playing it...
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Interesting - how is the song on that version? Like, do you hear anything to make you think, "Yeah, I can see why they put this one away for awhile"?
It’s not that good. What I can’t figure out is why 17 years later they all of a sudden thought they needed to play it. So random.
 
Apparently St. Stephen was "complicated" to play and Jerry stopped enjoying playing it...
He hated the middle section where they stop and it’s just him singing. Too bad cause that’s a great jam. I love that song. It’s such a heavy riff. Could have been a Hendrix or metal riff, it you turned up the distortion.
 
It’s not that good. What I can’t figure out is why 17 years later they all of a sudden thought they needed to play it. So random.

besides playing the song "Salt Lake City" while playing in Salt Lake City, I dunno

I'm surprised it sounded as good as it did in 1995 at SLC, I never knew they were dinking around with it in the 70s. Oh those crazy guys
I'm listening to Europe 72 now, various bits. 4/14 DS is pretty good. Touted to be excellent. Has an upbeat, energetic Feelin Groovy bit in DS some 20 minutes into it.


I probably cannot think of anything better than go back in time, follow them for two months in Europe, listening to them every 3rd day on average, enjoying life and all of it's pleasures. All the good stuff happens in the past, you know? F this health care system we have now. It's f'ing broken. The Dead in the 70's? Not broken at all. They were just exactly perfect.
 
And remember, RF's wife is not down with the green. Don't start with a Darkstar, even if that one's killer.

Funny; one of my first exposures to the dead was "Jazz is Dead", which does jazz covers of dead songs, and the first two songs that I had ever heard were "Darkstar" and "Ship of Fools".

I really dug them both, but "Ship of Fools" was trance-like for me.
 
Last edited:
The force is strong with this thread.

Okay, I like the dead a little bit.
Someone give me a link to a good "starter" dead meltdown to enjoy.

Oh dude, you want a good Dead meltdown? Birdstrike….you know what I'm thinking? Didn't we just vote on that? LOL....lemme find the link 🙂

The force is strong with this my internet friend. Happy you will be.
 
OK RF. On another forum I recently created an NCAA march madness style tournament for the best Dead Meltdown ever.

2019 Grateful Dead Tournament - Best Meltdown Ever!

You can browse through it....or go to the last page to see what won (6/8/74 Playin In The Band). The nice thing is that there are links in the forum that take you right to the meltdown itself. And directly to the timestamp itself...like some will say a 4:30 segment in Dark Star between 11:30 and 16:00, and click on the link and it takes you directly to 11:30 in the song.

This s*^t is off the hook. Literally. It's not for the faint of heart. But after being buzzed by your favorite recreational substance, this stuff really gets to ya in a good way. Some of the posts are outrageously funny. Even if you are not buzzed....this s^@! is the bomb
 
The force is strong with this thread.

Okay, I like the dead a little bit.
Someone give me a link to a good "starter" dead meltdown to enjoy.
Funny; one of my first exposures to the dead was "Jazz is Dead", which does jazz covers of dead songs, and the first two songs that I had ever heard were "Darkstar" and "Ship of Fools".

I really dug them both, but "Ship of Fools" was trance-like for me.
Hey, @RustedFox,

For great jazzy Dead, I'd start with 5/9/77 in Buffalo. The first 3 songs are jazzy-great and the rest of the show is beautiful.

Another all time great jazzy-Dead show is 3/29/90 at Nassau Coliseum when jazz sax great Branford Marsalis sits in, particularly Birds song, then Dark Star>Drums>Space>Dark Star (reprise). But the whole show is great.

For meltdowns, @thegenius did a meltdown bracket here, and we came up with Playin' In The Band (#10) from 6/18/74 as the best Grateful Dead meltdown of all time. The whole show is great. Enjoy!
 
Oh dude, you want a good Dead meltdown? Birdstrike….you know what I'm thinking? Didn't we just vote on that? LOL....lemme find the link 🙂

The force is strong with this my internet friend. Happy you will be.
Just gave it to him! 6/8/74 PITB (see above)
 
OK RF. On another forum I recently created an NCAA march madness style tournament for the best Dead Meltdown ever.

2019 Grateful Dead Tournament - Best Meltdown Ever!

You can browse through it....or go to the last page to see what won (6/8/74 Playin In The Band). The nice thing is that there are links in the forum that take you right to the meltdown itself. And directly to the timestamp itself...like some will say a 4:30 segment in Dark Star between 11:30 and 16:00, and click on the link and it takes you directly to 11:30 in the song.

This s*^t is off the hook. Literally. It's not for the faint of heart. But after being buzzed by your favorite recreational substance, this stuff really gets to ya in a good way. Some of the posts are outrageously funny. Even if you are not buzzed....this s^@! is the bomb

AWWWWWW FRRUUCCCCK. The images are gone! Expired?!??!? That's BS

here...look at this:
Final Final.jpg
 
So if you are really into the flippy dippy s&@t that takes you to out there...just read some of the comments in the thread.

6/26/73 (winner) - This is the BOMB! Imaging dancing and singing songs with all your favorite cartoon characters. Mickey Mouse, Bugs Bunny, Scooby Doo. Then their faces all start melting in unison! You're saying is that the acid I'm on? No...wait...they really are disappearing! But how can that be? It must be the acid. No it isn't. You didn't use acid tonight! You just drank two beers and a tequila. Maybe took one bong hit. But you are not dosed! So how is it they are melting??? Are they made of clay? Wait...clay doesn't melt. How about wax? But you were just singing and dancing and eating cookies with Scooby Doo. Now there is a big puddle of wax/goo on the floor of all your favorite cartoon characters. There is lots of Phil and Bob in this one. Enjoy. It's the winner. 5/18 is good, but this off the hook!

LOLOL
 
When you done with the above ‘93 show (don’t skip over it ‘cause it’s ‘93!) listen to another year, oft ignored that has few shows, but all smokin’ fire hot.

‘75!

Try any or all, they’re all amazing:

1975-06-17 - Winterland Arena - San Francisco, California





1975-08-13 - Great American Music Hall - San Francisco, California





1975-09-28 - Lindley Meadows, Golden Gate Park - San Francisco, California





1975-03-23 - Kezar Stadium - San Francisco, California
That Winterland show, for as short as it is, is one of my favorites. The Peggy-O makes me cry, and I swear that before starting Stronger than Dirt, Jerry thought to himself, "I wonder if I can play ALL the notes...I bet I can play them fast, too."
EDIT: nope, thinking of the wrong one - it was the golden gate with the Stronger than Dirt that I love. Still love that Peggy-O, though.
 
Last edited:


Don't know if Dead&Co is technically appropriate here, but if you didn't catch it 4 years ago, this rendition of Brown Eyed Women on Jimmy Fallon was what prompted me to get tickets that summer without fear of having to witness an exploratory jammed out version of Your Body's a Wonderland. Scan to about 3:30 to hear Jeff on the keys followed by a mean break by John Mayer. Love seeing the guys up there still getting into their music. Also, I still can't believe this was on broadcast television; it's longer than 3 minutes!
 


Don't know if Dead&Co is technically appropriate here, but if you didn't catch it 4 years ago, this rendition of Brown Eyed Women on Jimmy Fallon was what prompted me to get tickets that summer without fear of having to witness an exploratory jammed out version of Your Body's a Wonderland. Scan to about 3:30 to hear Jeff on the keys followed by a mean break by John Mayer. Love seeing the guys up there still getting into their music. Also, I still can't believe this was on broadcast television; it's longer than 3 minutes!

I've seen that. Mayer does a good job with Dead & Co. I've got tickets to see them in July if the 'rona will let me.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
OK RF. On another forum I recently created an NCAA march madness style tournament for the best Dead Meltdown ever.

2019 Grateful Dead Tournament - Best Meltdown Ever!

You can browse through it....or go to the last page to see what won (6/8/74 Playin In The Band). The nice thing is that there are links in the forum that take you right to the meltdown itself. And directly to the timestamp itself...like some will say a 4:30 segment in Dark Star between 11:30 and 16:00, and click on the link and it takes you directly to 11:30 in the song.

This s*^t is off the hook. Literally. It's not for the faint of heart. But after being buzzed by your favorite recreational substance, this stuff really gets to ya in a good way. Some of the posts are outrageously funny. Even if you are not buzzed....this s^@! is the bomb

Woah...this rabbit hole goes DEEP.
 
Day-yummm, that PITB meltdown is fantastic! At times you could almost mistake it for a Bitches Brew era MIles Davis jam. NB: I think Bitches Brew is one of the greatest albums of all time.
I'm partial to Kind of Blue, but yeah, that's a good one, no doubt.
 


Don't know if Dead&Co is technically appropriate here, but if you didn't catch it 4 years ago, this rendition of Brown Eyed Women on Jimmy Fallon was what prompted me to get tickets that summer without fear of having to witness an exploratory jammed out version of Your Body's a Wonderland. Scan to about 3:30 to hear Jeff on the keys followed by a mean break by John Mayer. Love seeing the guys up there still getting into their music. Also, I still can't believe this was on broadcast television; it's longer than 3 minutes!


wow that was pretty good. That version had pretty good pace too.

my main critique of the boys these days is they play like they are 75. slow......
Shakedown Street, for instance, is more like Shakedown Slow-Shuffle. (Imagine a person with the gait from NPH.)
 
wow that was pretty good. That version had pretty good pace too.

my main critique of the boys these days is they play like they are 75. slow......
Shakedown Street, for instance, is more like Shakedown Slow-Shuffle. (Imagine a person with the gait from NPH.)
I hear that. Would definitely like to see them play many songs at a more upbeat tempo. Although, Bobby, billy, and Mickey are all approaching that 75 mark.
 
wow that was pretty good. That version had pretty good pace too.

my main critique of the boys these days is they play like they are 75. slow......
Shakedown Street, for instance, is more like Shakedown Slow-Shuffle. (Imagine a person with the gait from NPH.)
Yeah, but Jerry used to always like it slower. That coulda been the opiates, though.
 
Great show today from 4/12/78. Some potential best-ever versions of several songs (summary + audio).

Video of whole show, here, with Jerry throwing Pete Townsend still arm-windmill bombs at 2:56:25 during what might be the best US Blues ever! So great to see video of this show with the bonkers college crowd and the band completely energy-pumped and two drummers pounding away in the back (is Keith nodding off on keys 😆 ?).

Dirty, Stonesy, New Minglewood Blues, video here.

Mesmerizing, soothing Peggy-O, video here.

Plus, 25 minute drum solo with Jerry on drums?! Insane, lol!

And for @RustedFox, maybe the best ever reggae-infused Row Jimmy (video) ever (audio track #9).
 
Last edited:
Check out the Dead's a rare fire spittin' version of James Brown's "It's A Man's Man's World." Simply awesome. 4/15/70 Winterland Arena.

Track #3. Do it.

(Other highlights from this show: Ferocious jam in the middle of Dancing In The Streets, a super mellow yellow Candyman, best campfire song non-Deadheads have never heard of, Dire Wolf, and a positively head bangin' version of That's It For The Other One. Then at about 06:22-06:55 during Turn On Your Lovelight Pigpen starts making up words telling the guys in the crowds to "stop standin' around looking cool and get their hands out of their pockets and stop wasting time playing 'pocket pool' 'cause there's ladies around so get busy"! or somethign like that 😆 ! ).
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
This thread is more fun than the endless debate over at coronavirus HQ. What shall I listen to now? I've got about 1-1.5 hours.

The Jam in 4/15/70 sandwiched between the two drum segments is quite interesting. I'm digging it, but it gets a little repetitive. Surprisingly good Candyman. Yes I usually avoid that song. But it was pretty good!
 
The Jam in 4/15/70 sandwiched between the two drum segments is quite interesting. I'm digging it, but it gets a little repetitive. Surprisingly good Candyman. Yes I usually avoid that song. But it was pretty good!
Yes, totally different, almost a cappella with the two clean electric guitars, vocals and almost no rhythm section. I thought it was cool too. Super mellow to get me started slow on my morning run.
 
Agree.

Listen to Garcia Live Volume 12

Or does it have to be pure unadulterated Dead?

I've listened to JGB stuff, and I like it but it doesn't quite do it to me like the dead. For instance, I have no JGB shows on my computer but have collected like 600 Dead shows.

Does archive have a grand repository of JGB stuff?