For you Dead Fans out there...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Mellow, acoustic, euphoric campfire sweetness: 5/1/70

(And a rockin' electric second set)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
What do you use to listen to the Dead? Archive.org or Relisten.net? Or something else?
Usually Relisten. Sometimes Spotify which has all the Dick's Picks, Complete Europe '72, Download Series, Garcia Live, the studio albums, Complete Road trips and most of the official live releases. If you don't have spotify, it's worth way more than the $10 per month. Has 99% of all music I could ever want, from all artists and genres.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't have it. I always thought you couldn't fully control your music with spotify, or maybe I was confusing that with Pandora.

I don't have it. I always thought you couldn't fully control your music with spotify, or maybe I was confusing that with Pandora.
You can fully control it, play one song at a time on demand, make play lists, etc. I have "Dead '72, '73, '74, '77" playlists, Pigpen-only playlists, All-the-Dicks-Picks playlist, max crazy mixes of random new or old music. It's pretty sweet. Try for a month and cancel if you don't like it. I'd be shocked if you didn't.

Reactions: 1 user

One of my all-time favorite songs. I prefer the solo (or accompanied only by John Kahn) version to that with the whole band. As an aside, have you all ever seen/heard a Robert Hunter show? It’s kind of bizarre and fascinating to hear what was likely the original versions of many of these tunes.

One of my all-time favorite songs. I prefer the solo (or accompanied only by John Kahn) version to that with the whole band.
Wow. Apparently that's the one and only time Jerry played alone since Grateful Dead formed. I hadn't seen this before. Good stuff. Thanks. (Whole show audio: here).

As far as JGB, I made a spotify mix of all 12 Garcia Live albums by JGB and they're effing sweet. But you can't listen to them thinking, "I want to hear more Grateful Dead," because it's not and sounds nothing like Grateful dead. It's more free wheeling, funky and experimental and it's really grown on me not in spite of sounding unlike Dead, but because it sounds unlike Dead. I didn't use to like JGB at all, until I detached it from the Dead in my mind, completely.

As far as Hunter performing, yes I agree, it's a shock to the sense. Hunter was brilliant lyrically, top 2 or 3 in the last 70 years, but all you need to do to realize how brilliant Dead was musically, particularly Jerry, is listen to Hunter performing those songs alone. Compare Hunter's solo "It Must Have Been The Roses" to the version by Dead. The difference is striking.

I had to look it up. I assume you have it? What're the most and least played songs, out of curiosity?
I don't have it. Was just wondering if I should have it. I have no idea.

This is from setlist.fm, not Deadbase, but the most played song = "Drums"! Lol

Screen Shot 2020-05-01 at 2.56.12 PM.png

There are dozens that were played only once, seen here at the bottom of the list. Most are covers:

• Haha

View attachment 304819

There are dozens that were played only once, seen here at the bottom of the list. Most are covers:

I think Setlists.net is probably more accurate. I wonder if they are double counting Playing In the Band because it usually listed twice as in

Playin > The Wheel > Playin

Edit: Although I will say that Setlists is not accurate for shows < 1969. But I don't think anything is

Just starting the MEGA Playing from 5/21/74. 45 minutes long

People at that show must have died and went to heaven.

Members don't see this ad :)

View attachment 304819

I saw the Boxer at the bottom...looked up the show thinking I was going to find a gem of an acoustic set with a second set electric. Instead, I was "treated" to a middle-aged Joan Baez first set.

Just starting the MEGA Playing from 5/21/74. 45 minutes long

People at that show must have died and went to heaven.
That's a solid show. I love a good Ship of Fools, especially these days.

Dead & Company right now on YouTube/Facebook/IG. Deer creek concert video from 2018. It was a good one. Second set was killer. The terrapin station featured some pretty intense lightning!

Dead & Company right now on YouTube/Facebook/IG. Deer creek concert video from 2018. It was a good one. Second set was killer. The terrapin station featured some pretty intense lightning!
I'll have to check that out since I just got notice that the Dead & Co. show I had tickets for in July, is canceled :cryi:. The whole tour is. I was looking forward to it. I'm so over the 'rona.

• Sad
I'll have to check that out since I just got notice that the Dead & Co. show I had tickets for in July, is canceled :cryi:. The whole tour is. I was looking forward to it. I'm so over the 'rona.
Same.

I'm gonna make today a special day. 12/6/73 is a very special Dark Star. It is tremendous. In the words of Donald Trump, it was tremendously special. And I'm going to follow that up with 5/19/74 Truckin', which is also tremendously special.

EJ, you are relatively new to US. You an ER doc? What's your relationship with the Dead? Tell us more about yourself.

@thegenius - I am a very nontraditional student in a combined MD/MPH program - just starting the epidemiology portion of my degree at a somewhat fortuitous time, academically speaking. I was a paramedic prior to medical school for a good long while, among other things. Don't want to say much more than that as a mediocre detective could probably identify me, as it is. I've loved the Dead since I was a little kid. I first heard them when they had their music video for ToG on MTV. It must have been the skeletons (and the roses), or maybe just that dog that runs away with Mickey's leg, but I was captivated. Rediscovered them in my early teens as I was getting into Americana/bluegrass (bought Europe 72 and Reckoning around the same time). I would say I've been listening to them steadily for about twenty years.

Yourself?

I'm gonna make today a special day. 12/6/73 is a very special Dark Star. It is tremendous. In the words of Donald Trump, it was tremendously special. And I'm going to follow that up with 5/19/74 Truckin', which is also tremendously special.

EJ, you are relatively new to US. You an ER doc? What's your relationship with the Dead? Tell us more about yourself.

God damn the 12/6/73 DS is so good. It's off the charts.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

I'm non traditional myself. Like most applied to med school in college and didn't get in, then went on to become an software engineer for a long time. Retook the MCAT at some point, had a much better outcome, and now an attending ER doc. Very happy for the career change. EM in general is more fun than being an engineer but I'm very slowly getting tired of telling people "no I can't help you." LOL

I didn't get into the Dead until 2000. In fact my college roommate was into them, had like 120 cassettes. This was the time when we didn't have iPods and were getting used to having CDs. He would play this stuff all the time and I hated it, I wanted to listen to Iron Maiden instead. But in 2000 or so I was surfing the web and stumbled upon archive.org, and then stumbled upon Cornell in '77, then I remember "I used to like Lazy Lightnin" and fired up Lazy > Supplication and boom, just started listening to more and more and more. Now it's about 95% of what I listen to. I actually still like Maiden and if they ever come around here again and my teenage son(s) want to go, I'll take them. They put on a good show! Very theatrical. I never saw Grateful Dead live though.

I'm non traditional myself. Like most applied to med school in college and didn't get in, then went on to become an software engineer for a long time. Retook the MCAT at some point, had a much better outcome, and now an attending ER doc. Very happy for the career change. EM in general is more fun than being an engineer but I'm very slowly getting tired of telling people "no I can't help you." LOL

I didn't get into the Dead until 2000. In fact my college roommate was into them, had like 120 cassettes. This was the time when we didn't have iPods and were getting used to having CDs. He would play this stuff all the time and I hated it, I wanted to listen to Iron Maiden instead. But in 2000 or so I was surfing the web and stumbled upon archive.org, and then stumbled upon Cornell in '77, then I remember "I used to like Lazy Lightnin" and fired up Lazy > Supplication and boom, just started listening to more and more and more. Now it's about 95% of what I listen to. I actually still like Maiden and if they ever come around here again and my teenage son(s) want to go, I'll take them. They put on a good show! Very theatrical. I never saw Grateful Dead live though.
That Cornell show was definitely a game changer for me, too. Good to virtually meet you! Glad to see that there are others out there!

I love Maiden. Live After Death is one of my go to albums when I run and wanna get pumped or I’m out of energy and need a lift.

“The Troooooppppppppeeerrrrrr!”

Have chicken breast on my smoker/grill with intoxicating maple/hickory/oak smoke billowing out of the top like steam engine, and 5/4/72 playing on my Bose outdoor speaker.

Some excellent music today.

Today, mellowing out to 5/6/81, otherwise known as Dick's Picks 13, which has a pretty sweet He's Gone and trailing jam. Pretty tasty Wharf Rat, too. Yum.

5/4/72, Paris. Sublime perfection. Listen
I love this period of the Dead. Jerry has that electric country/blues vibe but can still flip right into that late 60s acid rock sound, Bob is playing some really thoughtful riffs with that gentle fuzz, Keith would be at home noodling in a bar back in the Old West...and Phil...don't get me started on Phil. Plus, Billy had the freedom to play in a way that he just doesn't with Mickey around. Great show.

EDIT: Even Donna is singing in key. @thegenius - pretty solid Playing in the Band. It's not the monster yet, but you can tell where they were going with it.

Last edited:
I love this period of the Dead. Jerry has that electric country/blues vibe but can still flip right into that late 60s acid rock sound, Bob is playing some really thoughtful riffs with that gentle fuzz, Keith would be at home noodling in a bar back in the Old West...and Phil...don't get me started on Phil. Plus, Billy had the freedom to play in a way that he just doesn't with Mickey around. Great show.

EDIT: Even Donna is singing in key. @thegenius - pretty solid Playing in the Band. It's not the monster yet, but you can tell where they were going with it.

Yea absolutely. These are nascent PITBs. Most are quite furious they are like 9-13 minutes episodes of fury. Then they become more exploratory in late 72 like September and more so in October and especially November. They really get out of this world in 74.

Today, I'm soaking in Europe '72 Vol. 13: Bickershaw Festival, Wigan, England 5/7/72. The AUD on archive is a little rough in the early going, so I'm streaming the official release on Spotify and my ears are liking the candy.

Take a moment to appreciate today in 1977, the great 5/8/77 Grateful Dead at Cornell, live at Barton Hall.

• Love
Listening to that one right now! SO good

Listening to that one right now! SO good
I really is sweet. Started listening to it on my morning run, and mellowing out to right now, halfway through Row Jimmy.

Dead is alive!

Got through the first set. Just glorious. Now on a zoom call with residency buddies. Will do the second set later this evening.

Can't wait for Scarlet > Fire.

Listed to all of Cornell, twice today. Lol

We're nuts.

@Birdstrike I may have listened to Cornell twice yesterday as well....

I'm staying on tour today with Buffalo 5/9/77. Good stuff.

@Birdstrike I may have listened to Cornell twice yesterday as well....

I'm staying on tour today with Buffalo 5/9/77. Good stuff.
Yeah, haha! Me too!

Just got back from a long run and got about halfway through 5/9/77, while running. It's good, good stuff. I'm not sure which in this stretch is my favorite. I'm just glad we have this stuff around to listen to. Thank God for recording technology, thank God for the deadheads that recorded the shows and thank God for the Dead, not only for making the music but for being cool enough to let us have access to it all.

It's just amazing.

PS @justin8818 I think I'm gonna crack open 5/7/77 Boston Garden, today, too. I skipped over that one a couple of days ago because I was too in deep with 5/7/72 that day.

What a time to be alive.

I just wish I had seen the dead pre-'95 or at a minimum, can catch Dead & Co. someday soon. *fingers crossed*

It truly is amazing. It would have been a treat to see them live, and I've got my fingers crossed for a Dead & Co show next summer after this tour was cancelled.

I also wish I would have discovered the Dead sooner, instead of all that time spent listening to rap and Zeppelin...

It truly is amazing. It would have been a treat to see them live, and I've got my fingers crossed for a Dead & Co show next summer after this tour was cancelled.

I also wish I would have discovered the Dead sooner, instead of all that time spent listening to rap and Zeppelin...
Lol, i know. Although, I still go back to old Zep sometimes. Rap, not so much.

• Haha
Yeah, haha! Me too!

Just got back from a long run and got about halfway through 5/9/77, while running. It's good, good stuff. I'm not sure which in this stretch is my favorite. I'm just glad we have this stuff around to listen to. Thank God for recording technology, thank God for the deadheads that recorded the shows and thank God for the Dead, not only for making the music but for being cool enough to let us have access to it all.

It's just amazing.

It really is something, isn’t it. Having access to just about every concert played over 30 years. Well over 2000 concerts. Most are very good quality. And it’s free! Thumbs up to that.

Reactions: 2 users
It really is something, isn’t it. Having access to just about every concert played over 30 years. Well over 2000 concerts. Most are very good quality. And it’s free! Thumbs up to that.
Amen. I don't often donate to random non-profits, but I actually went to Archive.com and donated. When I thought of how tragic it would be if it were to ever shut down due to lack of funds, I was driven to do so. Their website makes it easy to do, so I sent them some cash. Even so, the amount of free listening I've gotten from that site probably outnumbers what I donated 100-fold.

And by the way, I'm spinning 5/7/77 Boston right now and I'd say it's every bit as good as Cornell, Buffalo and New Haven. I might say one is better on one day, and another is better on another day, but they're all so next-level, so I'm not in any hurry to picks a "best."

Last edited:
Although my listening is down today due to Mother's day, I've caught a few minutes to sneak in a bit of a very enjoyable '90s show. Crazy play by both Jerry & Hornsby throughout. Vocals solid as well. Fun show.

5/10/91

Last edited:
Although my listening is down today due to Mother's day, I've caught a few minutes to sneak in a bit of a very enjoyable '90s show. Crazy play by both Jerry & Hornsby throughout. Vocals solid as well. Fun show.

5/10/91
Was able to listen to all of this, actually. It’s legit a really awesome show.

I'm stuck on 5/7, 5/8, and 5/9. That is a tasty little trio. Now I'm at 5/11. The 1977 Sugarees are great. They go on for ever.

5/10/72

Great He’s Gone, The Other One. Whole show is super peak. I’m gonna have to come back to this one.