Foreign graduate with some questions please help as fast as possible

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

monro

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello i'm a foreign student about to graduate i obtained my green card through family and i want to apply for license in California but i have some questions:

1- when i finish the licensing process and after i become a US citizen will i be equal to a US pharmacist in qualification and have the same opportunity to find a job as a retail pharmacist in a chain store for example?

2- the biggest problem is that i know there is 1500 HRs that i have to spend working as an intern but do i have to work in both hospital and retail pharmacy environments? if i found a job as pharmacy technician will that count towards finishing the 1500 hours as an intern or is there a difference between the pharmacy tech and the pharmacy graduate intern?

3- i heard it's pretty hard for a foreign graduate to work as an intern in a chain pharmacy even after being licensed as a pharmacy intern by the NABP do you think i will find a job easly and if i accepted to work in an independent pharmacy for less money for example 8 or 10$ per hour would it help? or do i have to work for free the entire 1500 hours period (which is 6 or seven months) i heard that i might have to accept a very low payment in an independent pharmacy and in the same time practice as intern in a hospital without any payment in order to finish the 1500 Hrs period how true is that?

please help me as soon as u read any info will be quite helpful and very welcomed

thanks a lot in advance

Members don't see this ad.

1- when i finish the licensing process and after i become a US citizen will i be equal to a US pharmacist in qualification and have the same opportunity to find a job as a retail pharmacist in a chain store for example?

2- the biggest problem is that i know there is 1500 HRs that i have to spend working as an intern but do i have to work in both hospital and retail pharmacy environments? if i found a job as pharmacy technician will that count towards finishing the 1500 hours as an intern or is there a difference between the pharmacy tech and the pharmacy graduate intern?

3- i heard it's pretty hard for a foreign graduate to work as an intern in a chain pharmacy even after being licensed as a pharmacy intern by the NABP do you think i will find a job easly and if i accepted to work in an independent pharmacy for less money for example 8 or 10$ per hour would it help? or do i have to work for free the entire 1500 hours period (which is 6 or seven months) i heard that i might have to accept a very low payment in an independent pharmacy and in the same time practice as intern in a hospital without any payment in order to finish the 1500 Hrs period how true is that?

Last edited:
thanks a lot pharmacyresi i guess i will try to convince them to count my hours as a pharmacy technician and if they won't count it i'll have to volunteer the 1500 hours and it sucks!!

one last question who is eligible to take the 2 yrs pharm.D program? i do have to finish my licensing process and exams before i take it right? or could i take it just because i have a foreign license?

Members don't see this ad :)
and if i want to work as a pharmacy technician is it enough to have a foreign license and to finish the fpgee? or is there more requirements? if i accept less payment and more working hours, have worked in a pharmacy outside the U.S and i have very high grades would it be an advantage?

thanks a lot pharmacyresi i know i asked u too much

and if i want to work as a pharmacy technician is it enough to have a foreign license and to finish the fpgee? or is there more requirements? if i accept less payment and more working hours, have worked in a pharmacy outside the U.S and i have very high grades would it be an advantage?

You need at least a pharmacy intern license to work as a pharmacy technician, this is the case at the hospital where I worked. Otherwise, you have to register with the State Board of Pharmacy as a technician after passing the tech board exam or go to tech training school for about 6 months or so..again it depends on the state you are in!

Good grades and pharmacy experience may only be beneficial only of you wanted to do a residency program after getting your license