Foreign languages helpful?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SrJulio

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am bilingual. Right now, I am self learning a third language for fun. Just curious, has any of you found foreign languages useful? If so, which language(s) did you study? It does not have to be directly related to dentistry

Members don't see this ad.

Spanish, you'll get more patients at school

Reactions: 1 user
Spanish, you'll get more patients at school

I did spend 2 years on Spanish back in high school. Somehow I didn't find it interesting, so I never picked it up in college. The language I am learning right now is one of the Asian languages

Members don't see this ad :)
Spanish. Your patients will thank you.

I did spend 2 years on Spanish back in high school. Somehow I didn't find it interesting, so I never picked it up in college. The language I am learning right now is one of the Asian languages
Japanese by chance?

Le français! Learning a language enforces its own kind of discipline that I found useful. Gotta put effort into the unfamiliar.

I think I would try and pick up basic spanish if I got into dental school.

I think I would try and pick up basic spanish if I got into dental school.
Being able to say basic things like "You have an infection" "I need to give you an injection" etc etc are so easy to learn and will really help. There has to be a list of useful Spanish phrases for the dental office on Google.

Reactions: 3 users
I am bilingual. Right now, I am self learning a third language for fun. Just curious, has any of you found foreign languages useful? If so, which language(s) did you study? It does not have to be directly related to dentistry

Nihongo desu ka.

I know schools recommend being bilingual for a larger patient pool but the only one I'm for sure on that said being bilingual, in Spanish, that actually would give applicants a plus on their application, was Western.

I know schools recommend being bilingual for a larger patient pool but the only one I'm for sure on that said being bilingual, in Spanish, that actually would give applicants a plus on their application, was Western.

has to be spanish?

I studied Chinese in high school and undergrad. I also spent time studying abroad in Beijing.

I have used my Chinese exactly 1 time and it was to tell a zoo guest that I understood what they were saying when they said my coworker had bad hair.

Ay ay ay....senores, ustedes necesitan aprender a espanol! Es una lengua bonita!

Adios
-Incis0r

Gimme one sec. *copy and paste into Google Translate*

Reactions: 1 users
Carlor Rubor Dolor Tumor = 4 great words for a conversation with Latino patients.