Foreign Ophthalmologist

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ardalan

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just recently immigrated to US and i'm graduated from Ophthalmology 3 years ago.

As a graduate of an international program, how do I become eligible to practice in optometry in the United States?
Which Colleges of Optometry have exceptions for a foreign graduated Ophthalmologist?
I'll appreciate if i have your valuable advices.

Members don't see this ad.

I can't give you much information other than I know my old school has had foreign ophthalmologists complete some coursework to receive an OD and begin practicing. I'm not sure how much it was or if it was all of it.

Depending on the country, general ophthalmology may be essentially equal to optometry in the US. If that sounds correct, then I would say contact a few schools to ask.

Hello, I am in the same boat. I am Ophthalmologist from an International program. Did you find something? I would like to know how long does it take to be certified Optometrist Doctor? (Because as I know I have to take some classes at any Optometrist University.
Please let me know any information

QUOTE="ardalan, post: 18152378, member: 566390"]I just recently immigrated to US and i'm graduated from Ophthalmology 3 years ago.

As a graduate of an international program, how do I become eligible to practice in optometry in the United States?
Which Colleges of Optometry have exceptions for a foreign graduated Ophthalmologist?
I'll appreciate if i have your valuable advices.[/QUOTE]