This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Optodoc0711

Reaction score
Hello everyone. :) I’m a foreign graduate of Optometry, earning an OD degree (6 year program) in my country. I’m planning to be a licensed OD in the USA by not going back to school and sit on the NBEO exams right away. I have contacted New York Board of Optometry if they offer a sponsorship program and found out that they do. Anyone here who has any idea on how the sponsorship of New York Board works? Is it the same as the California Board? Thank you for the very kind help. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Can you describe the "sponsorship program" that you hope exists? Are you American or a foreigner?

Reactions: 1 user
Can you describe the "sponsorship program" that you hope exists? Are you American or a foreigner?
I am a foreigner, from the Philippines. Sponsorship program basically means WES will review your credentials, have the WES report be sent to the Board, and if the Board believes your degree is equal or greater than that of an ACOE accredited school, they will “sponsor” you to sit on the NBEO exams. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
So the sponsorship program is simply them paying the fees for a WES assessment, and for the NBEO exams? What does that all cost and why can't you pay those fees yourself?

So the sponsorship program is simply them paying the fees for a WES assessment, and for the NBEO exams? What does that all cost and why can't you pay those fees yourself?
You seem to be the worst person to talk to regarding this matter. You don’t know anything and it’s funny that you’re even part of this thread. Lol. What a total waste of time reading your replies

A vast majority of states require that you pass all parts of NBEO and have graduated from a US/Canadian school of optometry.
In some cases, an international degree might get you advanced placement in an US school.
Canada has a slightly easier route to licensure for international grads.

Always check with the specific state's licensing board since they have the final say & sometimes have the power to grant exceptions.
In my experience, it's very rare.

Last edited:
You seem to be the worst person to talk to regarding this matter. You don’t know anything and it’s funny that you’re even part of this thread. Lol. What a total waste of time reading your replies

Well, if the rational for such a program isn't intuitive, I doubt it exists. And again, why didn't you answer the question? Why decline to start your career a year earlier just because you can offset the cost of the NBEO? Doesn't seem like a good trade to me.

Well, if the rational for such a program isn't intuitive, I doubt it exists. And again, why didn't you answer the question? Why decline to start your career a year earlier just because you can offset the cost of the NBEO? Doesn't seem like a good trade to me.

Sorry I don’t answer stupid questions from people who don’t know what they’re asking about. Do your research first before wasting my time in reading your questions. What a waste lol

Sorry I don’t answer stupid questions from people who don’t know what they’re asking about. Do your research first before wasting my time in reading your questions. What a waste lol
You are the one begging for handouts

Hello everyone. :) I’m a foreign graduate of Optometry, earning an OD degree (6 year program) in my country. I’m planning to be a licensed OD in the USA by not going back to school and sit on the NBEO exams right away. I have contacted New York Board of Optometry if they offer a sponsorship program and found out that they do. Anyone here who has any idea on how the sponsorship of New York Board works? Is it the same as the California Board? Thank you for the very kind help. :)

It is doable. When I took my part 3, two international candidates in our group were sponsored by the state board.