Foreign Trained BDS applying for a 4 Year DDS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

krebmah

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just graduated from a BDS course and was looking into applying for a conventional 4 year DDS course, specifically at UNC Chapel Hill. I'm concerned about them asking extra prerequisite courses. Their website only says the following for international dentists:

"Internationally Trained Dentists: Four-Year DDS Program
Internationally trained dentists wishing to enter as first-year students in the dental program must complete the required application forms and submit acceptable scores on the Dental Admissions Test (DAT) and the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL). Successful completion of Part One of the National Board of Dental Examination is optional."

I decided to email them and this is what they replied:

"For internationally trained dentist you will need to have your foreign degree evaluated and you can use ECE or WES. Required is DAT, TOEFL, and any prerequisites that have not been completed. Also if you degree is more than 5 years old without having practiced dentistry within those 5 years prerequisites will need to be taken at a US school."

Has anyone gone through this route before? Will I need to take more courses at a college in states? Any help will be appreciated!!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey based on the reply from the school u dnt seem to need US courses as u recently graduated with BDS.
Bt may I ask y u intend to go with this route? I mean its longer and expensive.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey based on the reply from the school u dnt seem to need US courses as u recently graduated with BDS.
Bt may I ask y u intend to go with this route? I mean its longer and expensive.

I've been getting very disheartened lately listening to how slim the chances are to get into an advanced placement program, especially in the first cycle of applying, so I was wondering if this route will help save time in the long run because there are more seats per session, hence less competition and better chance of acceptance. By the time I apply, I will be a resident of North Carolina and the total fee for all four years together at UNC is around $162,000 for residents, which is much less compared to a majority of advanced placement programs.
The only thing I'm concerned with is having to take extra courses, because some say those pre-requisites end up taking 2-3 years to complete, plus more money spent on repetitive education. :(

Hey now that u have explained, your route seems a good option in ur case. The fees is even less than many advanced standing programs...id say if u have decided den focus on DAT and check pre dent forums here ..abt other courses u dnt have to take them as u graduated recently only graduates of more than 5 yrs with no experience are required to as per the email the school sent u. Schools do require certain shadowing requirements so check those . There are videos on YouTube where adcoms guide pre dent students regarding application , u might want to check that out also.
All d best to you.:)

Hey now that u have explained, your route seems a good option in ur case. The fees is even less than many advanced standing programs...id say if u have decided den focus on DAT and check pre dent forums here ..abt other courses u dnt have to take them as u graduated recently only graduates of more than 5 yrs with no experience are required to as per the email the school sent u. Schools do require certain shadowing requirements so check those . There are videos on YouTube where adcoms guide pre dent students regarding application , u might want to check that out also.
All d best to you.:)

Thank you! All the best to you as well :)