Foreign Veterinary Graduates

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Also Any one knows what is the waiting time for the CPE after you complete the paperwork?

Do you get to chose your exam date ?

thanks,

Members don't see this ad.

Looking for Veterinary Board Review by Joshua Furman and any other relevant books for review, Mosby, VCRC etc...
Thanks

Does anyone know anything about those books?

Saunders NAVLE Board Review: With VETERINARY CONSULT Access (Paperback)
by Patricia Schenck (Author)

Veterinary board review book : a complete review for the NAVLE and clinics / by written by Joshua Furman. 2006

Thanks!
Did you find out about these books, I cant find anything on the one by Joshua Furman, nothing on the internet about this guy... amazing... How did you do on your exams ??

Members don't see this ad :)
Also Any one knows what is the waiting time for the CPE after you complete the paperwork?

Do you get to chose your exam date ?

thanks,
The waiting time on the CPE will depend on the availability of open slots for the exam (anything from half a year to a year). On the application form you can pick your first - I think it was 5 - choices where you would like to go - And they will scheddule you according to the availability of places (try not to go to Las Vegas!)

Hey there:
I am a veterinarian and I should do my BCSE exam on this Nov but I don't have any specific idea about references ( I mean summaries reference).I will be glad if someone give me advice:).

Best wishes.
Farzin

Did you find out about these books, I cant find anything on the one by Joshua Furman, nothing on the internet about this guy... amazing... How did you do on your exams ??

Dr Joshua is from Minnesota, you can get that book at student library u of mn. It's very helpfull, but you need to prepare more.

To all out there who have received the manual for the CPE exam - I advise you to call AVMA EVERY MONTH - or even in shorter intervalls before your exam to make sure you still have the curren information and not one of the ex have been changed! I just leanred by pure chance that the manual I was preparing after got updated in January this year and the AVMA forgot to tell me this - so now - 4 weeks short before my exam date I received a BIG shock to find out the small animal exam has completely changed (with a compeltely ridiculous writing part!!! that counts for 40%:mad:) and the Anesthesia exam too!!!

Thank you so much for that tip! I am taking the CPE next year April 1-4 in Oklahoma. How do you - or anyone else - get some practical experience for the CPE? Especially if you are busy with another full-time job, like me? Any tip would be helpful.

Thank you so much for that tip! I am taking the CPE next year April 1-4 in Oklahoma. How do you - or anyone else - get some practical experience for the CPE? Especially if you are busy with another full-time job, like me? Any tip would be helpful.
That is a tough one if you are full-time working! I basically spend 3 months with an equine vet (did'nt have much horse experience), 2 weeks with a cow practice and 2 months in a small animal clinic. Perhaps you could find an emergency clinic and do there a couple of hours a week? What I did was basically copy the pages of the exam on the animal species I was working at the moment and gave them to the vets - so that they knew what specifically I needed to be able to do - the cow vets were really good - they went point after point with me through the list. And the veterinary nurses were very good sources for the clin path exam. Another tip - I heared in Oklahoma the radiology exam is very difficlut - you might want to pay special attention to that. The Thrall is the book you should go through for that. Good Luck!!!

Hey there:
I am a veterinarian and I should do my BCSE exam on this Nov but I don't have any specific idea about references ( I mean summaries reference).I will be glad if someone give me advice:).

Best wishes.
Farzin

Try these books , these are good for all the exams you will take. BCSE, NAVLE, And CPE.
You can find them on Amazon..
the national veterinary medical series (small animal internal medicine)(large animal internal medicine)(anatomy of the dog)(small animal surgery)
here is the large animal internal medicine ISBN# 0683-18033-9
find this you will find the rest..
those are good cheap books.
also you need some info about blood, histopath. good luck

Hello my friend:
I just wanted to say thanks a lot to answer my question.Can you tell me ,did you do BCSE?And if you did,How was that????
I would really happy if you will answer me in my Email address ( [email protected] ) .
Again thank you for all information and also for website:).
Farzin

here is an excelant website. this helped me a lot with basics and it's free

http://education.vetmed.vt.edu/Curriculum/VM8414/Clinical%20Pathology Website/Lectures/lecture.htm

Hi Everyone,

I have my CPE exam at Mississippi State in Feb and wanted to know how it is? Do they stress on special topics? Just anything that can help me I'm kind of lost now.
Thanks

Hello my friend:
I just wanted to say thanks a lot to answer my question.Can you tell me ,did you do BCSE?And if you did,How was that????
I would really happy if you will answer me in my Email address ( [email protected] ) .
Farzin
I've been try to email you but couldn't do so
maybe you can email me
[email protected]
ps. I'm going to take BCSE too perhaps we can share some information
hope to here from you:)

Members don't see this ad :)
I just got this site from a friend - I think you might find it VERY helpful - from Ross university students on the exams they took - most of them in Mississippi, and one from Las Vegas.
Good Luck to all of us!
http://rossskb.homestead.com/cpe_info.html

Hello my friend:
Farzin

Yes I did. Well, If you read the previous threads you would know that I failed the NAVLE for 1 point 424/ needed 425. So Preparing for the BCSE was very easy. The exam was really simple. Although they never said how well I did, (they only tell you only passed or failed). I'm sure I have scored 85-90 %.
To compare that with NAVLE it was a joke.
Time was never an issue like it was in NAVLE. In the Navle you hardly have time to read the question , they were long and confusing sometimes. In BCSE I was able to read and answer the question twice. and had some extra time.
At the NAVLE you go from section to other where you no longer able to go back to questions from section you have finished. (60 question each).
BCSE in other hand, you have access to all questions at all times.

There were no tricks in BCSE except one question which had absolutely two correct answers and until this day I couldn’t know which one is better answer.

If you read the books I mentioned you will do well. Also don’t forget Aesthesia, blood, and histopathology .Radiology, and clinical pathology photos where 100 % clear and easy. I wish I had 50 % of this quality in the NAVLE. Navle photos were bad, really bad.
Good luck.

Yes I did. Well, If you read the previous threads you would know that I failed the NAVLE for 1 point 424/ needed 425. So Preparing for the BCSE was very easy. The exam was really simple. Although they never said how well I did, (they only tell you only passed or failed). I'm sure I have scored 85-90 %.
Time was never an issue like it was in NAVLE. In the Navle you hardly have time to read the question , they were long and confusing sometimes. In BCSE I was able to read and answer the question twice. and had some extra time.
At the NAVLE you go from section to other where you no longer able to go back to questions from section you have finished. (60 question each).

There were no tricks in BCSE except one question which had absolutely two correct answers and until this day I couldn’t know which one is better answer.
If you read the books I mentioned you will do well. Also don’t forget Aesthesia, blood, and histopathology things like vaginal swaps in dog…() . Parasites questions were very few, 3-4 with very nice photos . you will know them for sure.
Radiology, and clinical pathology photos where 100 clear and easy. I wish I had 50 % of this quality in the NAVLE. Navle photos were bad, really bad.
Good luck.
Hello, dvmjakish
I was so kind of you to share your experience in BCSE :clap:. You wouldn't believe how much it's means to people who studying for the exam . I wish you do well in your next exam :thumbup:
thanks again

Reactions: 1 user

There were no tricks in BCSE except one question which had absolutely two correct answers and until this day I couldn't know which one is better answer.

If you read the books I mentioned you will do well. Also don't forget Aesthesia, blood, and histopathology things like vaginal swaps in dog…() . Parasites questions were very few, 3-4 with very nice photos . you will know them for sure.
Radiology, and clinical pathology photos where 100 clear and easy. I wish I had 50 % of this quality in the NAVLE. Navle photos were bad, really bad.
Good luck.
Hello dvmjakish:
You surprised me about these wonderful informations.On the other hand, you
gave all of us,a lot of positive energy:).
Is it possible you add my email address? [email protected] (between farzin& rd you should type _ ).
GOOD LUCK IN YOUR ALL EXAMS

All the best for BCSE. me too preparing for it. Feeling scared

Im a St. Georges grad. Im taking BCSE in Dec. I think I might study from Merck a bit a also from my notes.

I wish I had a study partner... to give energy to each other,, is hard to do it on your own.

hi carsan can u provide me some cpe material.thanx
Hi guys, i was looking for material to prepare for the CPE exam and i found this forum. I am a graduate from Mexico but i've lived (and practiced vet med) in the US since 2003 (in a place where i don't need license). Nevertheless i want to have my license to be able to get another position if the opportunity comes up. I did not passed the NAVLE exam the 1st time for 5 points (pretty painful) so i decided to have a better strategy for my last attempt (last December); i passed with 100 points over the mark so it's possible. It takes time and discipline. Here is what i think is a good approach, may not work for everyone but it's a start:

1) Preparation notes from vet students in 4th year- i found this to be the key. I got them from my students that were sitting at the same time i was. The notes were comprehensive and with what you need. Contact (maybe trough this website) 4th year vet students in the U.S and ask them for NAVLE review notes. They have review classes and are the best. The A-Z review that is floating around is SO outdated that i did not find it useful.
2) Concentrate in dog, cat, horse and cattle medicine; if you don't have time for pigs and small ruminants, exotics, etc is OK. Everyone freaks out about pigs but in reallity if you cruise on the other topics even if you fail pigs, you are OK.
3) Use Merck or other good books (Kirk, Ettinger, Nelson) for big topics, do not rely on summaries, MOSBY, etc for that. Read them well (all the endocrine stuff in small animals, infectious in horses, etc).
4) Review topics using the UFLA videos (>20 videos), take notes of them and read them again before the exam. Do not use them as only source. They take time (videos are +/- 1hr or more) and if you write notes up to 3 hours but worth to write notes.
5) Sign in on Zuku.com review (free, and OK) or vetprep.com (not free but great) and practice after studying.
NOTE: You will not be able to pass studying only on Q&A books or websites, believe me.
I studied an average of 5hrs a day since July (after the WorldCup :) ) and took my exam on Dec 8th, so 5 months of hard work but it paid off.
GOOD LUCK TO ALL, and do not get discourage if you don't pass the first or 2nd time. IT IS DOABLE.
carsan98

Hello Rocibell: I'm also from Peru and got stuck on step 2. I took the Navle twice and the last time I was 7 points short. PLease write me at [email protected] to share some info. Where did you graduate from? I finished at the FMVZ of the University of Ica.

Hello Rocibell: I'm also from Peru and got stuck on step 2. I took the Navle twice and the last time I was 7 points short. PLease write me at [email protected] to share some info. Where did you graduate from? I finished at the FMVZ of the University of Ica.
I passed step 2 4 months ago , which one are you taking?
I also have some experience about step 2 to share with you. you can email me at [email protected]
by the way, how you can take NAVLE without completed step 2 ??

What I meant was that I passed Step 2 but cannot pass NAVLE. Now we are supposed to take the BCSE but have not started studying for it yet. For what I read from the other posts is that is easier than NAVLE. I am looking to join a study group is someone is interested. Any comments on Study materials for this?
:)

Hi~ there~

I am wondering why more candidates want to take BCSE rather than QE...

Is ECFVG esier than PAVE relatively?

I think PAVE has more options in terms of Step 4, ECY.

Please let me know why most people want to get the license through the ECFVG.

Thank you~

Hi I am a foreign veterinarian from Spain who is currently living in the US. I have completed steps 1-3 for the ECFVG and I am taking the CPE next month. I would be happy to give advice about the first 3 steps and I am looking for advice from anyone about the CPE. Good websites or resources?

Hi colleagues,
I'm a vet from the Czech Republic and I live in the USA now. I'd like to get the license but I'm still at the beginning. Unfortunately, I've passed TOEFL yet even if I've been there thrice:(. Does anybody have experience with IELTE? Somebody told me that it was easier than TOEFL...I'm fighting with the speaking section:thumbdown:. And could you give me any advice about BCSE please?..which books are absolutely necessary for study etc. I'm really terrified seeking what I shall repeat. I've forgotten all anatomy and...:eek:.

Thank you very much for your help and I wish you good luck :luck:!

I can help you with the IELTS..
I just did mine on the 22nd of September, now I will tell you about the European exam which i would expect to be the same as the North American too. I am preparing to do the British license to practice as a vet. here. RCVS
So IELTS is -in my opinion - very easy and YES it is easier the TOEFL. The first section was the listening part which had a CD playing, before the CD starts playing they give you 4 or 5 sheets that has 40 questions mainly fill in the space or choose on of the choices based on what you hear, you will need to listen very carefully as the answers could be some times deceiving and not the exact word (sometimes you need to get the meaning of the word and the word t self) I doubt you will have problems with that.. Just try to practice more listening which I would imagine you do living in the USA, just notice they do use different accents in the CD (Canadian, Australian..Etc). This part was for 50 minutes. (Not sure).

Second part was the reading part where they start by giving you few sheets and there is 3 different long paragraphs on them (if you are doing Academic IELTS it will have more scientific words in them), this section has 40 Questions too distributed through the three paragraphs, BE CAREFUL you have to get sued to reading fast as they might be long if you are not. a good strategy for answering would be to look for the question then try to locate the answer within the paragraph before reading the whole thing.
This one was for 60 minutes.

Third part was the writing part which is for 60 min. This one they give you two questions, one is a graph and you comment on it (20 minutes) then the second one is a subject mainly scientific 40 minutes
You have to write for the first one at least 150 words so be careful of the words count, and the second one is 250 words at least.

$th Part - is the speaking part , This one takes a part usually at least 2 hours after you finish the first three were you go 1 on 1 with an instructor. They take you to a separate room and they ask general question ... like tell me about your self then they will ask things like name some one you know and you like spending time with and tell me why you do like him/her and what do you do with him/ her...etc. THEY JUST WANT TO SEE IF YOU CAN CARRY A CONVERSATION.. They might ask you to speak about a subject for 2 -3 minutes. This takes 15-20 minutes MAX

NOW it might be worth mentioning that there are two types of IELTS - General and |Academic, The Academic is the one for professionals...
Hope this helps...
Best of Luck

I can help you with the IELTS..
I just did mine on the 22nd of September, now I will tell you about the European exam which i would expect to be the same as the North American too. I am preparing to do the British license to practice as a vet. here. RCVS
So IELTS is -in my opinion - very easy and YES it is easier the TOEFL. The first section was the listening part which had a CD playing, before the CD starts playing they give you 4 or 5 sheets that has 40 questions mainly fill in the space or choose on of the choices based on what you hear, you will need to listen very carefully as the answers could be some times deceiving and not the exact word (sometimes you need to get the meaning of the word and the word t self) I doubt you will have problems with that.. Just try to practice more listening which I would imagine you do living in the USA, just notice they do use different accents in the CD (Canadian, Australian..Etc). This part was for 50 minutes. (Not sure).

Second part was the reading part where they start by giving you few sheets and there is 3 different long paragraphs on them (if you are doing Academic IELTS it will have more scientific words in them), this section has 40 Questions too distributed through the three paragraphs, BE CAREFUL you have to get sued to reading fast as they might be long if you are not. a good strategy for answering would be to look for the question then try to locate the answer within the paragraph before reading the whole thing.
This one was for 60 minutes.

Third part was the writing part which is for 60 min. This one they give you two questions, one is a graph and you comment on it (20 minutes) then the second one is a subject mainly scientific 40 minutes
You have to write for the first one at least 150 words so be careful of the words count, and the second one is 250 words at least.

$th Part - is the speaking part , This one takes a part usually at least 2 hours after you finish the first three were you go 1 on 1 with an instructor. They take you to a separate room and they ask general question ... like tell me about your self then they will ask things like name some one you know and you like spending time with and tell me why you do like him/her and what do you do with him/ her...etc. THEY JUST WANT TO SEE IF YOU CAN CARRY A CONVERSATION.. They might ask you to speak about a subject for 2 -3 minutes. This takes 15-20 minutes MAX

NOW it might be worth mentioning that there are two types of IELTS - General and |Academic, The Academic is the one for professionals...
Hope this helps...
Best of Luck

Thank you a lot. Your report has encouraged me to give a shot to IELTS. \
I also wish you good luck in GB!

P.S. What must you do to get the British license?

Hi guys, i was looking for material to prepare for the CPE exam and i found this forum. I am a graduate from Mexico but i've lived (and practiced vet med) in the US since 2003 (in a place where i don't need license). Nevertheless i want to have my license to be able to get another position if the opportunity comes up. I did not passed the NAVLE exam the 1st time for 5 points (pretty painful) so i decided to have a better strategy for my last attempt (last December); i passed with 100 points over the mark so it's possible. It takes time and discipline. Here is what i think is a good approach, may not work for everyone but it's a start:

1) Preparation notes from vet students in 4th year- i found this to be the key. I got them from my students that were sitting at the same time i was. The notes were comprehensive and with what you need. Contact (maybe trough this website) 4th year vet students in the U.S and ask them for NAVLE review notes. They have review classes and are the best. The A-Z review that is floating around is SO outdated that i did not find it useful.
2) Concentrate in dog, cat, horse and cattle medicine; if you don't have time for pigs and small ruminants, exotics, etc is OK. Everyone freaks out about pigs but in reallity if you cruise on the other topics even if you fail pigs, you are OK.
3) Use Merck or other good books (Kirk, Ettinger, Nelson) for big topics, do not rely on summaries, MOSBY, etc for that. Read them well (all the endocrine stuff in small animals, infectious in horses, etc).
4) Review topics using the UFLA videos (>20 videos), take notes of them and read them again before the exam. Do not use them as only source. They take time (videos are +/- 1hr or more) and if you write notes up to 3 hours but worth to write notes.
5) Sign in on Zuku.com review (free, and OK) or vetprep.com (not free but great) and practice after studying.
NOTE: You will not be able to pass studying only on Q&A books or websites, believe me.
I studied an average of 5hrs a day since July (after the WorldCup :) ) and took my exam on Dec 8th, so 5 months of hard work but it paid off.
GOOD LUCK TO ALL, and do not get discourage if you don't pass the first or 2nd time. IT IS DOABLE.
carsan98

hello there , i found these topics are they the same of the 4th year vet review nots that carsan talked about.....?

http://www.vetmed.auburn.edu/index.pl/review_material#1897

Hi There...
Glad I could help.
To do the British Exams you need to pass 3 steps...
First is to do IELTS -even if English is your first Language- if you graduated from a university not accredited by the RCVS.
Then you do a written exam (Not an MCQ) All written for 4 subjects (Horses, Farm animals, Poultry and Nutrition). This is usually held in May- June of each year, only once a year.
If you pass the writing part you will need to pass the practical exam (4 days or a week of exams usually in July) it is held in once the Vet schools. It tests your knowledge in the same fields beside the knowledge of local British Laws and regulations.

If you pass it then you will be registered with the licensing authority the UK (Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons) and you will have the word MRCVS member of the Royal College of veterinary surgeons next to your name.

The main problem is that these exams are held only once a year
The written and practical exam cost 1250 UKP around 2500 US$.

Now if you are an EEA citizen which you are ( I would imagine you are) , Then if your university is one of the accredited university by reciprocal agreement then you do not need any exams at all.. You just pay the fee and register... You have to check with them though.

www.rcvs.org.uk

Do you know any one who did or planning to do the UK exams?? The main problem with all the systems on the internet is they are made to help people prepare for the North American and not the other exams.

Cheers

Unfortunately, I don't know anybody who needs to do the British exams. I have one friend working as a vet in GB but our diploma is recognized by RCVS so that he hadn't to pass the steps you have mentioned. I' m sorry.
Anyway, I cross my fingers for you.

P.S. I have a question. Was it difficult for you, I mean the listening (especially those various accents) and the writing section (to make a comment) in IELTS?

QUOTE=cocker;5671867]Unfortunately, I don't know anybody who needs to do the British exams. I have one friend working as a vet in GB but our diploma is recognized by RCVS so that he hadn't to pass the steps you have mentioned. I' m sorry.

P.S. I have a question. Was it difficult for you, I mean the listening (especially those various accents) and the writing section (to make a comment) in IELTS?[/QUOTE]

Hello Cocker..
Would you be able to put me in touch with this person that you know? Do you know where about he works in the UK??

Well IELTS was not hard at all for me; I lived in different English speaking parts of the world. so I never had any problems with it . The Australian accent could be a bit tricky as they do have a bit of different pronunciation if you are used to the North American one, but I would not worry too much about it.
Writing was not a problem too. If you are worried about writing try to look up the IELTS free tests on Google. I am sure you will get a good idea of how it should be.

Best of luck..

Hi,

is anybody here going to or went for CPE to Tukegee?Any tips? I am going in May I would love to know your experiences.

Thanks,

Jitkarie.

Hi,

is anybody here going to or went for CPE to Tukegee?Any tips? I am going in May I would love to know your experiences.

Thanks,

Jitkarie.

I'm going to Oklahoma in June 3rd. I hope you post your experiance for us who will be going through this exam after you. also I hope from drs who already did the CPE to provide some tips for every one. It seems like when Drs finish from this exams they totaly forget about every one.
I can read lots of posts about NAVLE, BCSE, Or even the English exam. But nothing about CPE from any one except for this website
http://rossskb.homestead.com/cpe_info.html
Thanks for ""ForeignVet"" who provide it, it's very good and helps. It would be very nice to hear from someone who has just done the CPE.

Good luck.

I will definitely post my experience afterwards to let you guys know how it was as I was also disappointed by the fact that nobody posts their CPE adventures here. Thanks again to ""ForeignVet!!!!!!""

Hi~ there~

I am wondering why more candidates want to take BCSE rather than QE...

Is ECFVG esier than PAVE relatively?

I think PAVE has more options in terms of Step 4, ECY.

Please let me know why most people want to get the license through the ECFVG.

Thank you~
hi,
I am praparing for QE under PAVE.
the reasons might be :
1. it's not accepted thru out US
2. before this april, under ECFVG u just have to clear NAVLE.(unlike under AAVSB PAVE..QE< one extra).
if u r interested in applying for QE we can have a study group.

Dear Khalid
I am MEHDI from France ( ENVT ) preparing for NAVLE as well. Can we exchange study material and informations. Thanks

hi,
I am praparing for QE under PAVE.
the reasons might be :
1. it's not accepted thru out US
2. before this april, under ECFVG u just have to clear NAVLE.(unlike under AAVSB PAVE..QE< one extra).
if u r interested in applying for QE we can have a study group.

Hi, I'm a foreign vet from Morocco, And I'm enrolled on PAVE program, I would like to start a staudy group, so we can exchange ideas and information.
Thanks

QUOTE=cocker;5671867]Unfortunately, I don't know anybody who needs to do the British exams. I have one friend working as a vet in GB but our diploma is recognized by RCVS so that he hadn't to pass the steps you have mentioned. I' m sorry.

P.S. I have a question. Was it difficult for you, I mean the listening (especially those various accents) and the writing section (to make a comment) in IELTS?

Hello Cocker..
Would you be able to put me in touch with this person that you know? Do you know where about he works in the UK??

Well IELTS was not hard at all for me; I lived in different English speaking parts of the world. so I never had any problems with it . The Australian accent could be a bit tricky as they do have a bit of different pronunciation if you are used to the North American one, but I would not worry too much about it.
Writing was not a problem too. If you are worried about writing try to look up the IELTS free tests on Google. I am sure you will get a good idea of how it should be.

Best of luck..[/quote]

Hello Cocker..

Best of luck..[/quote]

Hi Dr_amer98,
I tried to contact my friend working in GB but I haven't been succesful yet. He works (I think) in Grantham, Nottingham and he does both small animals and livestock. If I get in contact with him, I'll write you.
Have a nice weekend.

Hi K9,
why don't you work as a vet technician? This way you learn and get paid on top!

I know how you felt when you got that manual - i just thought - no way! I have had it since last year in autumn, so I have been adjusting to the tought that I will be doing a very costly experiment. I am schedduled to take the CPE in September in Las Vegas Since the start of this year I have been doing externships with equine vets, food animal vets, and a smal animal hospital, to get some more practical experience. But if all of this will be enough, I don't know. :(
I will definitely let the forum know about my experiences - I find it singularly frustating that no one who has taken the CPE has come forward for some information!

Hi
I'm currently preparing for CPE, I would like to get more information about How to preparte for this clinical test.
How did you prepare?
Also if you can share your test experience with everybody, that will be very helpful
thank you so much for youy help

Hi
I'm currently planning to apply for CPE
I would like to get more information about How I can prpare for this test.
I heard about prgrams in USA prpared by the ECFVG in Oklahoma and Louisiana and other states a, it is like the ECFVG (Evaluated Clinical Year)
that you can spend few weeks in different rotations in the university teaching hospital.
Also another program in Canada called VSTEP
Does anybody has information about this program , if it is helpful or not
Please share your experience with me.
Thank you so much for you help
Vet 1998

[Hi Vet 1998.

I've heard the clinical year is good, although I don't know how much they let you do. But in my opinion it's not necessary at all! First it's quite expensive (around $20 000) plus you lose a year. It's already better to go try 4times the CPE for this money!:) I think it's better to drive around with vets either as a paid technician or as an externship or working student-free help is always welcome:) and you have already passed the NAVLE so don't worry! When and where is your CPE?
Good luck,

Jitkarie.

[Hi Vet 1998.

I've heard the clinical year is good, although I don't know how much they let you do. But in my opinion it's not necessary at all! First it's quite expensive (around $20 000) plus you lose a year. It's already better to go try 4times the CPE for this money!:) I think it's better to drive around with vets either as a paid technician or as an externship or working student-free help is always welcome:) and you have already passed the NAVLE so don't worry! When and where is your CPE?
Good luck,

Jitkarie.
I agree, That's what I'm doing. I work as a technician in small animal hospital and signed up for two days a week externship at large animal hospital (equine, bovine....). also I would go to a animal shelter in your area where they do spay dogs and cats and do some for them for free. I think you can do that by law as student on un-owned animal with a presence of licensed veterinarian. last thing you can do is a couple of day at a veterinary lab. and you are set.. this is my plan.

Can I ask you which state are you in? Since I had the same plan as you and wanted to go to an animal shelter but I found out that in FL by law you cannot do the spays unless you are a student of an accredited veterinary school:(

Hi
I'm planning to apply for CPE test.
I would like to know which location is good compared to otheres
Please give me an idea about CPE location.
Thank you so much for your help
Vet1998

Can I ask you which state are you in? Since I had the same plan as you and wanted to go to an animal shelter but I found out that in FL by law you cannot do the spays unless you are a student of an accredited veterinary school:(

I'm in Seattle. WA state.
When you go to a shelter tell them that you have passed the board. I still think you can do it . call and ask the veterinary board in your state. Mention that you will be under supervision of a licensed veterinarian. this is why you can do it, You will do it in the exam, right, so why you can't do it one month before the exam.. Remember they have to be un-owned animals .
if all this doesn't work. try other states . and go for 2-3 days or a weekend. see AL, SC, NC somewhere nearby.