Foreign Veterinary Graduates

Started by rocibell
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi everyone
I joined the group a while ago, but for some reason my user got lost, anyway I got a better one.
I graduate in 2004 got my license in Peru in 2005. Moved to US in 2007. While in US I have been working as a Tech/assistant in a non profit clinic in Utah since july 2007. I pass the TOEFL in 2008. I enrolled in the ECFVG program in 2009. I took the BCSE the first time in Dec 2009, didn't make it. Worst Chrismass ever, even do I got a PS3.
I re took the test in march 2010 and pass.
I've been working as a tech and getting some training about Vet Medicine in US, I strongly recomend it. May be not for quite long as me.
To prepare for the BCSE I used the www.zukureview.com I suscribed to their daily question, very usefull. Also I suscribed for 3 months. Only did that for the first try. Obviously wasn't enough. For the second try I suscribed to the Zuku again for a month and red the gumshoevet review (It has some mistakes, but worked for me as I was able to tell).
I just send my letter to request an application form for the CPE among with with a cashier's check for 500 US Dollars.
I am hopping to take the test in Las Vegas in september.
I hope this can give you all some info about what to do. I have to confess I have never been a good student.

Anyone who would like to study or have some ideas how to get ready for the CPE? Is it possible to practice some spays anywhere in US? I went back to Peru for Vacations ang got to do a couple spays it wasn't bad, but I need to practice more before the test? I think they give you an hour or so to do it. It took me 30 min in Peru, from first incision to last stich.

Regards
 
Dear Collegues :
What a pleasure to find such an amazing forum i will recommend it to all my collegues , can anyone please advice me of the nature of the qustions in the exam in dubai , to be presise i have a job at a small animal practice in dubai , and i must undertake this exam ..i couldnt find any sampels of the qustions might come , please if anyone took the exam or aware about the nature of the exam to advice me kind regrdas🙂

You can review the www.avma.org... web site, it has a sample test with 15 questions, few of those come in the test, Also the sample test for the NAVLE.
 
Hi Everyone
I was wondering if any of the foreign veterinary graduates Graduated from a 5year post High school program/school in your country??
Specially if you got Licensed in NY .
I have graduated from a 5 year program directly post
high-school with no pre-vet degree, it is not how it goes in my country ( Egypt) and i hear it is a British system too.
Now through NY state they wouldn't accept my application till i have finished 6 years of combined pre and graduate school, and one year clinical training
Well Iam pretty sure i have had more credits in 5 years more than the average American graduate and i had summer clinical training during the summer for 3 years, Isn't that sufficient? Didn't they cancel the one year clinical programs at vet colleges and we have to take CPE instead So now i have to take Both CPE and 1 year clinical training plus go back to school get more credit!!!!! 😡 😡 😡

Any one got his Lic. in NY please let me know if you had to do that,
And if you got your lic. in another state did they ask for all of that??

Does Working as a Tech for a year in SA practice count toward any training?

Help cause iam Confused right now and don't want to call them and get mad over the phone .
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Well April's NAVLE results are coming in this week, I got mine on Monday and I passed..... I am so happy now. took the BCSE on Aug 2009 and passed too. Now getting all nervous and excited for the CPE, registration here in Canada are Oct 2010 for a place at end of 2011 or 2012 🙁. It's a long waiting time and we have to pay half ($3.780) when you register and the other 1/2 (3780) 3 months before the actual test !!! I guess I have to find the money somehow by Oct.
Anyways thanks everyone for study material sugestions and now I am listening for what to study for the CPE?? (please)

Now in your experience (those who passed Navle and CPE) which one is harder??
 
Well April's NAVLE results are coming in this week, I got mine on Monday and I passed..... I am so happy now. took the BCSE on Aug 2009 and passed too. Now getting all nervous and excited for the CPE, registration here in Canada are Oct 2010 for a place at end of 2011 or 2012 🙁. It's a long waiting time and we have to pay half ($3.780) when you register and the other 1/2 (3780) 3 months before the actual test !!! I guess I have to find the money somehow by Oct.
Anyways thanks everyone for study material sugestions and now I am listening for what to study for the CPE?? (please)

Now in your experience (those who passed Navle and CPE) which one is harder??

Hi Pathur,

Congratulations with passing NAVLE!
I am in the same situation as you, did BCSE in August 2009 and got my NAVLE results this week 🙂.
Why do you not do your CPE in the U.S.A. instead of Canada? It is cheaper and you don't have to wait for such a long time. I am doing the CPE in Las Vegas this summer.
 
Hi Pathur,

Congratulations with passing NAVLE!
I am in the same situation as you, did BCSE in August 2009 and got my NAVLE results this week 🙂.
Why do you not do your CPE in the U.S.A. instead of Canada? It is cheaper and you don't have to wait for such a long time. I am doing the CPE in Las Vegas this summer.

Congrats to you too!!!

I am looking into that (taking the CPE in US) I am waiting on the AVMA to write me back with what do i need to do/pay to enroll. What are you studying for the CPE from? I have not received the "booklet" yet!!

Anyone that passed both NAVLE and CPE.......which one is worse??
 
Hi folks,

I live in Toronto and I am preparing for the NAVLE exam. Is there anybody who is interested to join me for creating a study group. Thank you very much and best of luck to all.
[email protected]
 
Hi CamVet:
I am taking CPE at Los Vegas in Oct. You can contact me at [email protected]. Talk to you soon.

Hi SAVET, VJ,

Thanks for the offer! I am really busy revising and stressing about getting everything done in time now, but I will be in touch with you after I have done my exams. Good luck to you both

Camvet
 
Camvet:
Thank you. Good luck and all the very best.
👍
Hi SAVET, VJ,

Thanks for the offer! I am really busy revising and stressing about getting everything done in time now, but I will be in touch with you after I have done my exams. Good luck to you both

Camvet
 
to my friends who has information regarding the professional program whichs 4 years program here in US ..I am really thinking of applying for the vet. professional program but just have a BS degree (5 years college) with GPA 3.23 along with 154 credit hours ..of cours i graduated outside US
*so im i qualified for the program ?
*do anyone knows any University here accept a foreign graduates for the professional program ?
*do i get licensed after graduation ?
* if i go this way dose that makes me to skipe the ECFVG ?
* basically if you have any other details regarding this program FROM
(a-z) i would really be grateful to hear it from you and will be a good listener for your advices and sugestions
best regards ,
Payar
 
Hello everybody...I am preparing for CPE. Just wondering if somebody has some study material/video link for learning to put mouth gag in bovine and oral cavity examination..please advice. thank you.
 
hi, i'm looking for people who are going to take the BCSE test and want to have a group study in Los Angeles area.
 
Dr DVMJAKISH.I am preparing for CPE, need your guidance especially with the techniques.Please help me. Thank You.Regards.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Dr DVMJAKISH.I am preparing for CPE, need your guidance especially with the techniques.Please help me. Thank You.Regards.

One word: PRACTICE. you have to go and practice what you read in the manual. You do that by doing intern or extern at small and large animal hospital. Shadow vets.
 
Hi,

I am applying for the BSCE, but wanted to know if the test content outline also includes Equine, Food and exotic animals medicine....
Does anyone know about this?
Thanks!
 
Hi,

is there any peruvian vet who already took the BCSE? I am going to take the test this november, but do not know where to start at....
If there is anyone that could help me with a guideline I would appreciate it a lot!

thanks a lot!
 
Hello everyone, I must be ******ed...... I have read the CPE manual a couple of times and I really do not find the way to study for the exam... I know the manual decribes what you are supposed to do; but how? I mean what / where do you study or prepare for it? I have read and seen a couple of videos and went into the U. penn page but I am still lost.....

Please if someone who has studied and passed the test could spare a couple of minutes and guide me on how and what to study, I really really would appreciate it.

Thanks
 
Hi there
I'm from Peru. I took the BCSE for second time last march and pass. I use zukureview the two times. Also I review the gumshoe vet. It is very useful if you can tell the mistakes. I've been in the US for 2 years working as a tech, that helps a lot. So there you have it.

Hi,

is there any peruvian vet who already took the BCSE? I am going to take the test this november, but do not know where to start at....
If there is anyone that could help me with a guideline I would appreciate it a lot!

thanks a lot!
 
Hi there
I'm from Peru. I took the BCSE for second time last march and pass. I use zukureview the two times. Also I review the gumshoe vet. It is very useful if you can tell the mistakes. I've been in the US for 2 years working as a tech, that helps a lot. So there you have it.

Thanks so much! En serio muchas gracias por la info. La verdad es que ando un poco perdida con los temas, ya que tengo un resumen para el navle, pero por ahi me han dicho que el bsce es mucho mas facil. No se bien que temas abarcar, pero ya con el dato que me has dado estoy mejor informada. Dime, y solo usaste esas paginas y ningun libro ( merck, 5 min consult, y otros?). En el zuka te dan una guia para un plan de estudio tambien? Cuanto te demoraste en estudiar? Yo ya voy un mes y me quedan solamente 4 meses! Te enfocaste mas que nada en menores o tb en mayores y exoticos?
espero no quitarte mucho tiempo y de antemano te recontra agradesco por la ayuda!
 
Hi, I'm a Veterinarian from Peru. I'm enrolled en the ECFVG program of the AVMA to get my licence. I would like to contact another foreign vets enrolled in the same program to interchange experiences and information or any other vet who can give some information about groups of study or material available before I take the boards.
Hope to hear from you soon !


HI: I am a foreign graduate too. I have alraedy enrolled in ECFVG program. I am happy to exchange some ideas and informations that I have. My cell: 904-377-4562. I will talk to you soon. Good luck.
 
Hi All,

I am trying to find out how many foreign veterinary graduates would be interested in doing small animal veterinary ultrasound as a job while studying to pass the US examination? Also I want to know which foreign veterinary programs are considered strongest in anatomy, physiology, pathophysiology and medicine.

Please take a minute to send me an email at [email protected] so I can gauge the interest level.

Thanks.
Lola's Dad
[email protected]
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi, I'm a Veterinarian from Peru. I'm enrolled en the ECFVG program of the AVMA to get my licence. I would like to contact another foreign vets enrolled in the same program to interchange experiences and information or any other vet who can give some information about groups of study or material available before I take the boards.
Hope to hear from you soon !
I enrolled in ECFVG. I am happy to share some infos with you. Good luck.👍
 
Hi Sophie.
To answer your questions:
I studied for 4 months the first time, so starting next month to be ready for nov. I only studied the Zuku (No zuka). I was very close. The second time I did zuku for couple months and the Gumshoevet also I red the merk for cardiac meds ( merk is a little to much I think). All that I can tell you is the second time was very similar to the first test, so I studied what I remembered. I have to say that I've been working in a Vet clinic for 2 years before the first test. So there you have it. I hope this can help you.
 
Hi, I am living in NY. Does anybody from NY here (Queens , Astoria)? I wanna share with you learning info? I am looking for study group in NY? Any vets studying for NAVLE in NY? Wanna meet you and study together!
 
Last edited:
Does your veterinary school is listed by AVMA?


Hi Everyone


I was wondering if any of the foreign veterinary graduates Graduated from a 5year post High school program/school in your country??
Specially if you got Licensed in NY .
I have graduated from a 5 year program directly post
high-school with no pre-vet degree, it is not how it goes in my country ( Egypt) and i hear it is a British system too.
Now through NY state they wouldn't accept my application till i have finished 6 years of combined pre and graduate school, and one year clinical training
Well Iam pretty sure i have had more credits in 5 years more than the average American graduate and i had summer clinical training during the summer for 3 years, Isn't that sufficient? Didn't they cancel the one year clinical programs at vet colleges and we have to take CPE instead So now i have to take Both CPE and 1 year clinical training plus go back to school get more credit!!!!! 😡 😡 😡

Any one got his Lic. in NY please let me know if you had to do that,
And if you got your lic. in another state did they ask for all of that??

Does Working as a Tech for a year in SA practice count toward any training?

Help cause iam Confused right now and don't want to call them and get mad over the phone .
 
I believe not all states are the same.
You should look more into that. But in case that is true, you can try to get your license through PAVE. It is accepted in New York and they have the option of the One clinical year instead of the Proficiency test.
http://www.aavsb.org/PAVE/
Hope this helps

Hi Everyone
I was wondering if any of the foreign veterinary graduates Graduated from a 5year post High school program/school in your country??
Specially if you got Licensed in NY .
I have graduated from a 5 year program directly post
high-school with no pre-vet degree, it is not how it goes in my country ( Egypt) and i hear it is a British system too.
Now through NY state they wouldn't accept my application till i have finished 6 years of combined pre and graduate school, and one year clinical training
Well Iam pretty sure i have had more credits in 5 years more than the average American graduate and i had summer clinical training during the summer for 3 years, Isn't that sufficient? Didn't they cancel the one year clinical programs at vet colleges and we have to take CPE instead So now i have to take Both CPE and 1 year clinical training plus go back to school get more credit!!!!! 😡 😡 😡

Any one got his Lic. in NY please let me know if you had to do that,
And if you got your lic. in another state did they ask for all of that??

Does Working as a Tech for a year in SA practice count toward any training?

Help cause iam Confused right now and don't want to call them and get mad over the phone .
 
Hello everyone, I must be ******ed...... I have read the CPE manual a couple of times and I really do not find the way to study for the exam... I know the manual decribes what you are supposed to do; but how? I mean what / where do you study or prepare for it? I have read and seen a couple of videos and went into the U. penn page but I am still lost.....

Please if someone who has studied and passed the test could spare a couple of minutes and guide me on how and what to study, I really really would appreciate it.

Thanks
 
hi, i'm looking for people who are going to take the BCSE test and want to have a group study in Los Angeles area.
Hi. I am preapring for BCSE too and I live in Orange county, Irvine. If u want, we can make a study group with each other and try to help ourselves.
 
Hello everyone, I must be ******ed...... I have read the CPE manual a couple of times and I really do not find the way to study for the exam... I know the manual decribes what you are supposed to do; but how? I mean what / where do you study or prepare for it? I have read and seen a couple of videos and went into the U. penn page but I am still lost.....

Please if someone who has studied and passed the test could spare a couple of minutes and guide me on how and what to study, I really really would appreciate it.

Thanks

It's only complicated when you think about it too much. Ok so surgery, you don't need to study you only need to know how to do it without killing the animal. You need to make sure you take the whole ovaries and uterus body. leaving this parts will get you to fail. also getting the dog to bleed to death is a failure. so why don't you go somewhere where they do this surgeries and see how it is done in best way..

Anesthesia: you have to get a book about anesthesia and read it. you will be doing anesthesia on a dog so you have to exam the dog and see what diseases it has and what does it disorders or diseases effect the anesthesia process. so if your dog has heart disease you need to select drugs that cause minimal cardiovascular depression. if your dog has respiratory disease try to pre-oxygenate before induction. you need to know what are you doing. so when they ask you why did you choice this drug or why did you give this much fluid .... you would know what to say. oh and you need to know how to operate the anesthesia machine ... dahhhh

radiology: you have to take rads. so you need to learn about positioning and safety.. etc.. there is files on my website about that.

small and large animals: this is the hard part, you study for this just like you did for the NAVLE, you need to be familiar with all diseases because the animals you will see usually are sick and you need to find out what illness they have. so you will have to be a vet as simple as that. this exam is for you to know if you will be able to make it in the real world. Study as much as you can and practice the things you will be doing hands on. focus more on the most common diseases.

hope this help.
 
Thanks a lot dvmjakish, something like that is what I needed to help me understand what I need to do; for the surgery/ anesthesia part I found a clinic which is willing to let me help on both to get my skills up and runnig because has been long time since last surgery.... (about the anesthesia which book do you guys recommend??)

Now as for diagnostics (necropsy, microbiology, parasitology etc..) what is recomended to read?

As far small and large animals knowing how to perform a complete physical exam and keep studying as for NAVLE -> would that be the key?

I know is kind of vague idea of what to do, but in your experience those who passed the CPE.... will that work?

Thanks again,
 
Camvet[/QUOTE]

Hi all,

It took me days to read all your post from this forum but I now have plenty material to study. Thank you all of you, especially dvmjakish and his wonderful website.

I'd like to contact Camvet who live in the UK and want to work in the US
I am in the UK and enrolled ECFVG too. I have just received the CPE manual and was wondering if we could study together.

Any advice on how you got prepared for the CPE when you are not on US territory... do not see the same diseases, not exactly the same procedures...

I understood from your previous post that you are near London.
At the end of August I will start a new job and move to Oxford. By chance, would you be in this area?

My e mail is [email protected]
I would be very happy if you could contact me
Thanks

Of course if there is any other vet studying from the UK, I'll be glade to hear from them
 
Hello everyone 😉

I'm Winny, Vet from Thailand (Southeast- Asia). I'm trying to read the information about how to get the license, but I still confuse and I really don't know who I can I ask for help until I found this website. 😀 I graduated from Vet. School in Thailand 5 years ago, but nothing to do in the US right now. 😕 I already read some information in this forum, but also still CONFUSE.

If anyone have free time only just a few min. Please HELP me ! 😍

Could you please give me some suggestion about "How to get the license and be a Vet. in the US.?"

Hope you hear back from you guys who are so kind to me.

-Winny 😛
 
Hi everyone !

Are there anyone in Nebraska right now? I'm in NE. I really need help and suggestion.

-Winny
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello everyone 😉

I'm Winny, Vet from Thailand (Southeast- Asia). I'm trying to read the information about how to get the license, but I still confuse and I really don't know who I can I ask for help until I found this website. 😀 I graduated from Vet. School in Thailand 5 years ago, but nothing to do in the US right now. 😕 I already read some information in this forum, but also still CONFUSE.

If anyone have free time only just a few min. Please HELP me ! 😍

Could you please give me some suggestion about "How to get the license and be a Vet. in the US.?"

Hope you hear back from you guys who are so kind to me.

-Winny 😛


first go to this website, it has all the information you need. you need to sign up with the ECFVG, then start by taking the 4 steps they are well explained in the website. after you read it , let me know if you still confused.
 
Thanks a lot dvmjakish, something like that is what I needed to help me understand what I need to do; for the surgery/ anesthesia part I found a clinic which is willing to let me help on both to get my skills up and runnig because has been long time since last surgery.... (about the anesthesia which book do you guys recommend??)

Now as for diagnostics (necropsy, microbiology, parasitology etc..) what is recomended to read?

As far small and large animals knowing how to perform a complete physical exam and keep studying as for NAVLE -> would that be the key?

I know is kind of vague idea of what to do, but in your experience those who passed the CPE.... will that work?

Thanks again,

any book you find on Amazon.com is good, get 150-300 pages, don't get the huge books.
my website has links to video about the necropsy, also there is videos on the web on how to do the other testes. (these are way too easy) .

yes, FOR CPE, study for it as you did for the NAVLE, and try to do hand work , see what you need to do in the manual and ask large an small animal vets to demonstrate for you how to do them.

CPE is just a big fuss, it is way easier than you think. Just be ready for what they want you to do and you will pass.
 
first go to this website, it has all the information you need. you need to sign up with the ECFVG, then start by taking the 4 steps they are well explained in the website. after you read it , let me know if you still confused.

Thank you much dvmjakish for you suggestion, I will try to study that website that you gave me. 👍

-Winny 😉
 
Hi all!

I' m a small animal practitioner. I got my DVM degree 3 years ago, still attending to a MSc program in Neuroscience in Turkey.

I wonder if we have any opportunities in different fields (for example; neuroscience, pharmacology or laboratory sciences except clinical practise) without license or NAVLE?