Forensics psychiatry unit at Elmhurst-Mt. Sinai

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

l0st1

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone rotated at or has experience with the forensics unit at Elmhurst Hospital Center in Queens? From the little information that I can gather online, it's an all-female forensics unit. Has anyone rotated there? Should I avoid booking this rotation as a male student?

Members don't see this ad.

I can't tell you about this specific unit but I can tell you I've treated female patients on a forensic unit (all female) and women in jail and prison.

Unfortunately almost all of them suffer from moderate to severe borderline PD and that's not surprising given that a large number of these women have suffered sexual abuse while children. I don't know anything about the specific unit but I would go into such a situation being careful about interviews and boundaries.

Has anyone rotated at or has experience with the forensics unit at Elmhurst Hospital Center in Queens? From the little information that I can gather online, it's an all-female forensics unit. Has anyone rotated there? Should I avoid booking this rotation as a male student?
There is a Female Forensic unit at Mount Sinai-Elmhurst. I my view this would be a very good and unique experience for a male/female psychiatric resident/Medical student. I do not want to comment about the most common diagnoses of the patients admitted there. However one can learn the very basics of interview there including boundary setting, transference/counter transference, etc, etc. I would certainly rotate in this Unit.
Even male patients can be challenging in their own ways. I guess the early you learn the better.
One can say that they do not want to pursue a career in Psychiatry and hence might not want to rotate there. But you get challenging patients everywhere including ER, patients refusing surgeries, patients refusing blood tests etc etc. The list is on-going.