Former neuroscience student, primary suspect in Aurora shootings.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
an eye for an eye makes the whole world go blind...

before anyone attacks me, I am not saying we should forgive him, what he did is pretty henious, I'm just saying that the "eye for an eye" philosophy is a pretty archaic way of dispatching justice. Especially if we aren't aware of the details (i.e. is he mentally disturbed?)

The rules of law apply to criminals. This man is a terrorist and should be treated as such.
 
I understand your point, the only retort I have is, what if that was one of your loved ones that was a victim at the shooting? You would immediately throw away these philosophies and disregard whether he is mentally disturbed or not.

It's easy to make an objective statement about a situation, because you're not personally involved. Although it was a terrible tragedy, if it had been somebody that I personally loved at that event, there's no way I could NOT want revenge.

I never understand when people use the "what if it was your mom/brother/loved one?" argument for the death penalty. Of course if my loved one were killed I would want some sort of vengeance. That's a normal human reaction. But the judicial system is supposed to move beyond that. There's a reason the victim's family members don't sit on the jury -- can you imagine what would happen if they did??
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I understand your point, the only retort I have is, what if that was one of your loved ones that was a victim at the shooting? You would immediately throw away these philosophies and disregard whether he is mentally disturbed or not.

It's easy to make an objective statement about a situation, because you're not personally involved. Although it was a terrible tragedy, if it had been somebody that I personally loved at that event, there's no way I could NOT want revenge.

Also, in my personal opinion, the death penalty isn't enough for this guy. I'm not trying to sound cruel, I'm being literal. If you kill 12 people, how can dying once be repentance for your actions?

1 does not equal 12.

But I'm a vindictive person, so who cares.
Yeah...um I've had family members attacked (one lost lost their vision and one died) so the whole "you don't know what it's like to have someone you loved hurt/killed" thing kind of fails there. i think we have an opportunity to learn something. Rather than just killing him, we can find out the reason he did this, and hopefully prevent it from happening again. But that's just my opinion, which is likely to be ignored anyway, since people are immediately screaming for blood.
 
Last edited:
In the state of Colorado, no one had been sentenced to death since 1977.

Records are made to be broken.
 
I agree with the sentiment that we have rule of law and a system of justice precisely to PREVENT the desire for vengeance on the part of the bereaved from determining the fate of murderers. Of course in the moment of your anguish you want the person who harmed your loved one to be harmed in the same way, if not even moreso, but that's dangerous -- that's what leads to lynchings and to mob violence.
 
I understand your point, the only retort I have is, what if that was one of your loved ones that was a victim at the shooting? You would immediately throw away these philosophies and disregard whether he is mentally disturbed or not.

It's easy to make an objective statement about a situation, because you're not personally involved. Although it was a terrible tragedy, if it had been somebody that I personally loved at that event, there's no way I could NOT want revenge.

Also, in my personal opinion, the death penalty isn't enough for this guy. I'm not trying to sound cruel, I'm being literal. If you kill 12 people, how can dying once be repentance for your actions?

1 does not equal 12.

But I'm a vindictive person, so who cares.

I agree with you, if this man ended the life of a person I hold dear to my heart - You bet I would be after blood. Emotions are by nature, irrational.

The thing to take away from this tragic event, I think, is to ask as many questions as possible. Begin to try to understand what made him decide to invest his time, effort and money into this and try to use this information to prevent similar events from repeating itself in the future. We aren't capable of rewinding time and saving the poor individuals who have lost their lives, but we can prevent the loss of innocent lives in the future.
 
Well, if he wasn't a med student, all my jokes about BU no longer having a lock on the serial-killing med student population fly out the window...

On a more serious note, what an awful thing to happen, it's just a shocking shocking crime. I will never understand what causes someone to kill indiscriminately -- it's like taking revenge against the universe for the world not treating you kindly enough, I don't get it.

I am not and have never been a believer in an eye for an eye -- I don't think that's justice, that's revenge, and revenge isn't good for civil society.

How about a deep brain neoplasm, putting pressure on the amygdala? It would not be unprecedented.

Post-mortem autopsy of his brain revealed a glioblastoma multiforme tumor the size of a walnut, erupting from beneath the thalamus, impacting the hypothalamus, extending into the temporal lobe and compressing the amygdaloid nucleus (Charles J. Whitman Catastrophe, Medical Aspects. Report to Governor, 9/8/66).
 
Yeah...um I've had family members attacked (one lost lost their vision and one died) so the whole "you don't know what it's like to have someone you loved hurt/killed" thing kind of fails there. i think we have an opportunity to learn something. Rather than just killing him, we can find out the reason he did this, and hopefully prevent it from happening again. But that's just my opinion, which is likely to be ignored anyway, since people are immediately screaming for blood.

totally just said this in a post after you.. haha 👍
 
I have a feeling that something in his neuroscience/psychology classes compelled him to make a social experiment, studying those subjects can even make me depressed. I don't mean to sound like I'm railing on psychology.

He was probably on drugs though.
 
I'm not making fun of the incident, I'm just saying... In my opinion we should hang all murderers on tv and I bet no one will ever pull that crap again.
No offense to you (and I can't stress that enough) but that doesn't sound like justice. It sounds depraved.
 

In an online rental application last year, Holmes described himself as a “quiet and easy-going medical student,” the Post reported. He was reportedly seeking his Ph.D. in neuroscience.



MD/PhD?

...or just a MD wanna-be?

Just an MD wanna-be. The MD/PhD program at UC doesnt list any James Holmes. Its unlikely they would pull his name off their list this quickly.

Med schools make it easy for pretenders like this guy when they have a bunch of departments under the "school of medicine" like all the science graduate programs and PA programs. Thats why some PAs claim they went to "medical school" because their PA program is listed under the school of medicine. Absolute crock of ****.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
People like this don't deserve to rot in jail for the rest of their life nor a coffin to hold his body.

Bullet to the head and then his body left in the street.

Despicable.

Prayers go out to all those who lost loved ones and to all those who are still in the hospital.
^^^^^
 
Last edited:
"Officials have said the shooter had four weapons including an assault rifle, a shotgun and two handguns. Federal law enforcement sources said they were trying to trace the weapons."

Sigh, why do civilians need assault rifles? Even handguns? There is absolutely no point for these weapons to be legal. Just a standard hunting rifle/shotgun is all that is necessary.
 
reading this thread really makes me question whether Heath Ledger's Joker's post-Hobbesian rants were actually legitimate.
 
I don't believe in that nonsense. I believe in two eyes for an eye. Apparently there was a post online made yesterday of some guy claiming that he would shoot people at the midnight premier of TDKR. Kind of freaky. And who the hell brings a 3 month old to a movie. That's just irresponsible.

Who brings a gun to a movie?
 
Just an MD wanna-be. The MD/PhD program at UC doesnt list any James Holmes. Its unlikely they would pull his name off their list this quickly.

Med schools make it easy for pretenders like this guy when they have a bunch of departments under the "school of medicine" like all the science graduate programs and PA programs. Thats why some PAs claim they went to "medical school" because their PA program is listed under the school of medicine. Absolute crock of ****.

true 👍
 
I guess my main point for bringing up the hypothetical "what if it was your loved one" was because of how much people can detach themselves from incidents they are not personally involved with.

Yeah, this incident hits closer to home than a lot of incidents, just because of how familiar it is. aka, could have been us at the movies, could have been our loved ones, I mean hell, I'm watching this movie tonight. If I lived in that area it could have been me or someone I cared for.

The other side of this would be how many atrocities are happening around the world right now. Who here actually actively thinks about those? Nobody. Why? Because they don't hit close to home. We're emotionally detached to these situations because they're not in our immediate psychological presence.

It may not be one of your loved ones, but just imagine if it was. That's called EMPATHY. You don't need to experience something to be able to relate to somebody who has.

Haha wait, what are we discussing?? I understand what you're saying about empathy but that's not what the earlier posters were discussing -- they were using the family argument to justify the death penalty, essentially. I think it's very possible, and very necessary, to empathize with the families in this situation -- as you can see in my earlier post, I did acknowledge that it is a normal human reaction to want vengeance -- without condoning an eye-for-an-eye system of punishment.
 
You guys think that this guy somehow was trying to play out some fantasy of being like Bane, the character in the movie who wears a gas mask and kills people? Kind of scary, especially because of the possibility of copy-cats.
 
You guys think that this guy somehow was trying to play out some fantasy of being like Bane, the character in the movie who wears a gas mask and kills people? Kind of scary, especially because of the possibility of copy-cats.

When I heard the dude was wearing a gas mask that was the first thing that popped into my head, the villain in the movie wears a gas mask doesn't he?

Also, supposedly, the guy was armored like he was ready for an all-out with the military, I think they said ballistic vest, leggings, throat guard, helmet, and the gas mask.

Then the coward surrenders without a fight to the people who are actually armed.
 
You guys think that this guy somehow was trying to play out some fantasy of being like Bane, the character in the movie who wears a gas mask and kills people? Kind of scary, especially because of the possibility of copy-cats.

The New York police commissioner, who spoke to the Aurora PD this morning, said that Holmes told the police he was 'The Joker' and had his hair painted.

[Just what is being reported]
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
"Officials have said the shooter had four weapons including an assault rifle, a shotgun and two handguns. Federal law enforcement sources said they were trying to trace the weapons."

Sigh, why do civilians need assault rifles? Even handguns? There is absolutely no point for these weapons to be legal. Just a standard hunting rifle/shotgun is all that is necessary.

To answer that question: http://abcnews.go.com/US/florida-man-71-shoots-alleged-robbers-internet-cafe/story?id=16800859

I sincerely hope people don't try to use this as anti-gun evidence -- it's completely unrelated. Guy could very easily have obtained these illegally too.
 
Oh alright, it was a semi AR-15:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AR-15

But still, why does anyone need to own this weapon?

"There are no federal restrictions on the ownership of AR-15 rifles in the United States." Wtf man?


why should the government force you to do something in the first place. if you have interest in collecting cool guns and use them for fun you have every right to. it a free country. a couple of psycho shouldnt ruin it for everyone
 
why should the government force you to do something in the first place. if you have interest in collecting cool guns and use them for fun you have every right to. it a free country. a couple of psycho shouldnt ruin it for everyone

I can see this, but what if I had an interest in collecting nuclear bombs? What happens when the interest in collecting assault weapons affects my freedom for safety? This isn't one isolated incident, there is gang/drug violence all of the time involving assault weapons.

I don't like being the party pooper, and I don't have a huge problem with guns, idk man maybe I'm just reading too many nytimes articles.
 
Oh alright, it was a semi AR-15:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AR-15

But still, why does anyone need to own this weapon?

"There are no federal restrictions on the ownership of AR-15 rifles in the United States." Wtf man?

No federal restrictions. Most gun laws are at the state level because the NRA (National Rifle not National Republican) has done an exceedingly thorough job lobbying for and defending gun rights at the national level.

why should the government force you to do something in the first place. if you have interest in collecting cool guns and use them for fun you have every right to. it a free country. a couple of psycho shouldnt ruin it for everyone

Much agreed. Not looking to start a dicussion or argument on the merits of gun control vs merits of gun liberty but your fundamental idea is spot on. Just because some people abuse their rights doesn't mean we should eliminate the right itself.
 
I can see this, but what if I had an interest in collecting nuclear bombs? What happens when the interest in collecting assault weapons affects my freedom for safety? This isn't one isolated incident, there is gang/drug violence all of the time involving assault weapons.

I don't like being the party pooper, and I don't have a huge problem with guns, idk man maybe I'm just reading too many nytimes articles.


guns will never be banned in the US.

no guns=less crime and this means less work for the police to do which means less money.
one of the reasons pot is illegal is because the gov cant make money off of it. guns help the government make money, i know it's a ****ty reality but money triumphs lives in the end
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Oh alright, it was a semi AR-15:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AR-15

But still, why does anyone need to own this weapon?

"There are no federal restrictions on the ownership of AR-15 rifles in the United States." Wtf man?
Honestly, I think more people would of died if he hadn't used guns. I wouldn't use this as an argument against stricter gun control because it only applies to this case. There are other valid arguments to use for that. Anyway, this post is not about gun control. My point is that he obviously knew how to build bombs since his apartment was rigged with them. I can't imagine the devastation if he had set off a bomb in the theater. Praying for the victims and their families.
 
Last edited:
"A college syllabus that lists Holmes as a student shows that he may have taken a class in which he studied topics as diverse as substance abuse, schizophrenia, depression and other disorders."
 
guns will never be banned in the US.

no guns=less crime and this means less work for the police to do which means less money.
one of the reasons pot is illegal is because the gov cant make money off of it. guns help the government make money, i know it's a ****ty reality but money triumphs lives in the end

Hardly a statement of fact considering this is the third hit on Amazon books when you search gun control: http://www.amazon.com/More-Guns-Les...F8&qid=1342811507&sr=1-1&keywords=Gun+Control

It's a shame this thread has turned into a gun control debate.

Nevertheless, I agree. Gun control is petty compared to domestic terrorism and the lives of dozens of people.
 
Too soon.

Yeah for those itching at getting over irrational tragedies like this through humor, I wouldn't suggest being open to the public about it on a forum like SDN. Try here:

http://www.reddit.com/r/ImGoingToHellForThis

By the way, humor is a great coping mechanism, but it really isn't for the sensitive types. Please be conscious of that, especially if you're going to be a doctor in the future. I wouldn't personally want someone commenting on my dead loved one in a humorous context.