foundation programme in uk

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aj112

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a recently (last june) graduated doctor from EU country. I want to join foundation programme. I have already obtained my full gmc number and started applying for foundation 1 jobs (more than 10 jobs). To date, i haven't been shortlisted none of them. I was wondering any of you have any advice for me. I need to know the following
1) what should i do improve my chances of being short listed?
2)what other options are open to me to work in uk ?
3) i would also like to see example CV's foundation one doctor?
4) what i sould write in my personal spec?
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

What? Are you talking about academic jobs? The main process doesn't open for months and there is no shortlisting.

Networking would be one foolproof way to improve your chances. Go to conferences, meet people, do an observership.

If you're applying off cycle wait for the main process, you might stand a better chance.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for your replies

Well.. I am applying for 2010 foundations posts which are not filled during main process now these are offered as Locum Appointment for Service Foundation Year 1 Programme. example of such post being offered by nhs

http://www.jobs.nhs.uk/cgi-bin/vacdetails.cgi?selection=912520171

I was hoping to join one of these rather than waiting until 2011.

Networking would be one foolproof way to improve your chances. Go to conferences, meet people, do an observership.

If you're applying off cycle wait for the main process, you might stand a better chance.

Networking will in no way help with foundation jobs. The process is ridiculous, you fill in a form with a bunch of stupid reflective questions and a few academic things and the people marking it don't see your name. The job you get is determined by the score this form gets you and the way you ranked jobs. Observerships don't really exist here either.

Thank you for your replies

Well.. I am applying for 2010 foundations posts which are not filled during main process now these are offered as Locum Appointment for Service Foundation Year 1 Programme. example of such post being offered by nhs

http://www.jobs.nhs.uk/cgi-bin/vacdetails.cgi?selection=912520171

I was hoping to join one of these rather than waiting until 2011.

All the F1s start tomorrow, aren't you leaving this a bit late?

True...I am bit late. But i couldnt apply early since i have full gmc registration..normal foundation programme allows students who are obtaining provisional gmc registration rather than full one.
icon8.gif

Last edited:
Networking will in no way help with foundation jobs. The process is ridiculous, you fill in a form with a bunch of stupid reflective questions and a few academic things and the people marking it don't see your name. The job you get is determined by the score this form gets you and the way you ranked jobs. Observerships don't really exist here either.
Unfortunately, I am well aware of how ridiculous the application process gets. I applied two years running with no luck. I still remember those forms where the applicant would be awarded stupid points for clinical audit (I strongly suspect British bureaucrats from healthcare experience multiple orgasms on hearing those two words), "team working" and "leadership", while having the first part of a college membership exam wouldn't count at all.

Observership are available, although difficult to find. And it may be useful in landing a locum job.

True...I am bit late. But i couldnt apply early since i have full gmc registration..normal foundation programme allows students who are obtaining professional gmc registration rather than full one.
icon8.gif
You mean provisional registration? If you are fully registered apply for F2 posts.

Thats why, i have decided to apply for locum jobs..They ask similar questions for locum posts too.

You mean provisional registration? If you are fully registered apply for F2 posts.

Yeah surely if you have full registration you aren't even eligible for F1 jobs?

YES if ur fully registered u cant be eligible for fy1

I agree..As for F2, You are not shortlisted even if you have full registration. they want one year of F1 exp + full registration.

Last edited:
if u have got full reg u can apply for stand alone fy 2
u can check them on jobs.nhs.uk
and bmjcareers.com
or type bmj jobs and you will see many fy2 jobs

Ok..i will try in these places for f2.

does anyone know any other jobs other foundation jobs opened to newly qualified doctors?

Last edited:
I think it is better for me do clinical attachment raher than sitting at home. where are best places to do clinical attachment in london?