fourth time MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gabbers22

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all--
I will be taking the MCAT for a fourth time this August...and I was wondering if that will be looked down upon when I apply this summer to DO schools? This is my first time applying...I thought that my scores were too low to apply before...any advice would be helpful!
My scores:
August 1999: 19P
August 2000: 20P
August 2001: 23Q

Members don't see this ad.

Gabbers--
Why are you taking the test again? What is your GPA and extracurricular activities/healthcare experience like? I took the MCAT once, scored a 21N, and I will be a first year at UHS.
To me, if other things look good on your record, I wouldn't recommend taking the test again!!

As far as it looking bad, it might; just depends on everything else!!

Good luck

Chris

If your hosently considering taking the MCAT again. I would take a prep course.

Or did you do that already?

If the only thing keeping you out of Med school is the MCAT then take a course and really improve.

Good Luck

AK

Members don't see this ad :)
gabbers:

Take the MCAT again for a 4th time. You MUST improve your score to approx. 27 total. I recommend being less concerned with how the Admissions Committees perceive an applicant taking the MCAT 4 times, and be more concerned with whether you can improve your score to a satisfactory mark.

drchris:

your MCAT score was deplorable. I'm personally disappointed when Osteopathic Medical Schools overlook the importance of a good MCAT score.

Good luck.

nycom@juno,

I will be the first to admit that my MCAT scores are not the most stellar. What I absolutely love about DO schools is that they understand that one test on one day does not make a person a good candidate to be a doctor. DO schools consider the intangibles that enhance a person's ability to sincerely care for another human being. Numbers will never ever determine that.

Gabbers,

Contact the Deans of the schools you wish to apply to and give them your stats as wells as a whole person profile and see what they think. If they say to take it again, take it again. Good luck. If you get into KCOM next year, I will see you there.

Ben

Take the MCAT again if you feel that you need to but no matter what you should still apply. There are plenty of people who have gotten accepted to osteopathic schools with equal or lower scores. Just make sure you have ECs and LORs.

Good Luck

Average MCAT score is about 24. Aim higher than this score. This test is important objective measure of your candidacy and show your desire to become doctor. Always remember that there are more than enough canidates out there who have a great academic as well as nonacademic credentials. I hope in the future more and more of these canidates are attracted to DO program as well as MD program. I am sick and tired of seeing the applicants who go to DO school because they cannot get into MD school or below "average" academic standard, MCAT<24 and MCAT<3.4. Score of 21 is below average. It is too arrogrant to assume that you have a great personal qualities/nonacademic credentials to offset the substandard academic credentials...You will see that many prospective medical students in the country possess great academic and nonacademic credentials that eventually become a great doctor....AIM HIGH.

Honestly I think Im screwed b/c I will be taking the MCAT for the third time this august. Schools like for you to only take it once. Its a horrible policy but its the way it is. I think that the 23 you got could get you in if your GPA is really good.

Taking the MCAT once and doing mediocre is understandable. But, when you take it 3 (or even 4) times and you still cannot hit the average score, then schools begin to wonder.

What is the breadown of your scores?

Is it one section that is hurting you, or are you even across all the sections?

Having one poor section is more forgivable (to a degree) than having less than average scores in all sections. Many people have a low verbal score but sstill do well in the science sections.

I would apply with what you have. But, be prepared to explain your reasoning behind taking the MCAT so many times.

Don't go for a fourth. It's not worth the money.

The MCAT is a game. You need to figure it out in order to do well. Maybe you haven't figured it out. Highlight other parts of your application.

Good luck with everything.