Freaking out

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Personally, after witnessing what happened last year, I highly suggest you look into other schools.[/QUOTE]

What happened last year? And is it significant enough to outweigh all the other pros?

I know you guys are super busy - thanks for your time and the reply’s

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Personally, after witnessing what happened last year, I highly suggest you look into other schools.

What happened last year? And is it significant enough to outweigh all the other pros?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile[/QUOTE]

It was chaotic with the new school opening up.

Members don't see this ad :)

It was chaotic with the new school opening up.[/QUOTE]
He answered above about neuro

Reactions: 1 user

It was chaotic with the new school opening up.[/QUOTE]
you can find the relevant posts throughout SDN, but nothing that should hopefully happen again

I'm more irritated by the way they scheduled this CPA. We just had our MSK final on Friday, and they hit us with a CPA on Tuesday right when we're starting immuno, which they keep telling us is going to be a hard class. Then, we don't have our next CPA till like, December. So, why couldn't this one be scheduled for next week after our immuno midterm?
The current 3rd years had a schedule similar to our (2nd years) schedule in their first year: i.e., only monday exams and no free weekend until thanksgiving. We have monday exams, and if there is a friday exam, something is scheduled the next monday. We had GI last wednesday, CPA monday, and then our GI final today. We have OS midterm friday, followed by renal on monday. The scheduling will ALWAYS be a mystery. And there are definitely ways to improve it, but the best thing you can do is talk to your SGA about it, and they can talk to the faculty. While you guys do have your CPA on a tuesday in the beginning of a class, realize that is the best time for it. You do not want it at the end while you have to study juggling for an actual exam vs just getting into a class. Also CPAs get easier as you go through the year.

Personally, after witnessing what happened last year, I highly suggest you look into other schools.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile[/QUOTE]
What are your perceived “pros”?

What are your perceived “pros”?

I’m too exhausted to “hate”. You have only finished two courses. You haven’t even gotten to the most chaotic one yet. Brace yourself.

Trying to decide if I should switch to watching Joplin’s lectures for immuno. Shnyra is hard to understand but I like him....struggles

Trying to decide if I should switch to watching Joplin’s lectures for immuno. Shnyra is hard to understand but I like him....struggles
I don't go to KCU, but I think that many people find immuno best understood by reading a book as shocking as that sounds.

I don't go to KCU, but I think that many people find immuno best understood by reading a book as shocking as that sounds.
Makes sense. It’s more that he’s hard to understand because he has a heavy Russian accent though, not that his material is hard to understand :p

Members don't see this ad :)
Makes sense. It’s more that he’s hard to understand because he has a heavy Russian accent though, not that his material is hard to understand :p
I had a professor with a heavy heavy accent for Pchem. It sucked

I'm listening to Joplin lectures and going through KC slides. KC slides seem to be much better organized and having those learning objectives at the bottom of each is great.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm listening to Joplin lectures and going through KC slides. KC slides seem to be much better organized and having those learning objectives at the bottom of each is great.
this times a hundred. I plan on using KC slides for my second pass

YOU GUYS!!! I only missed 6 questions out of 50 on the practical. They haven't added in the curve yet, but I think I should be okay. Thank you all so much for your support, I'm not sure I could've gotten myself together without it :)

Reactions: 5 users
YOU GUYS!!! I only missed 6 questions out of 50 on the practical. They haven't added in the curve yet, but I think I should be okay. Thank you all so much for your support, I'm not sure I could've gotten myself together without it :)
Congrats Girl! I think I'll be ok too!

Reactions: 1 users
the class that definitely made me question my intelligence and im glad I don't have to do that over again...

Congrats! It definitely gets a little easier from here. Cardio/pulm, GI, endo/repro are all pretty decent classes.
Lol I also heard that Immunology is the easiest course of 1st year. This block has been hell. I would take MSK 100x over this.

Lol I also heard that Immunology is the easiest course of 1st year. This block has been hell. I would take MSK 100x over this.
What you dont like memorizing 20 different ILs?

What you dont like memorizing 20 different ILs?
Lol I don't even mind memorizing the cytokines because I know those will lend to the big picture later on. It's having to know the structure of all of these random players and how that structure comes about genetically that's bogging me down. I guess I'm not really far enough into the class to determine what's medially relevant, but I have a hard time seeing how this knowledge will benefit my future patients at all. Hopefully it'll all come together next week.

I don't think it's necessarily the easiest, just that a lot of people have prior experience with it. Anyone who did a masters in biomedical sciences, which a lot of people did, took a grad-level immuno course. Those who took the masters program at KCU literally took this exact class already, so they already have experience. Those of us who have never taken immuno, on the other hand....

Also, this is the first course where there seem to be some discrepancies between what is taught in Joplin and what is taught in KC, so we'll see how that pans out.

Also, our tutors told us not to expect much of a curve for this class :(

@NecrotizingFasciitis @PorkChopsOG @sab3156 any tips for immuno?

I don't think it's necessarily the easiest, just that a lot of people have prior experience with it. Anyone who did a masters in biomedical sciences, which a lot of people did, took a grad-level immuno course. Those who took the masters program at KCU literally took this exact class already, so they already have experience. Those of us who have never taken immuno, on the other hand....

Also, this is the first course where there seem to be some discrepancies between what is taught in Joplin and what is taught in KC, so we'll see how that pans out.

I didn’t have any immuno prior to school. Study Shnyras power points over and over and over. Do his practice questions. “Profit”

Throwing in what I've done(with success). I've grabbed my main study partner and we spend an hour going over the slides prior to a lecture. This helps us solidify which questions we want to go over in lecture and has actually made lecture worth going to( I know shocking).

Throwing in what I've done(with success). I've grabbed my main study partner and we spend an hour going over the slides prior to a lecture. This helps us solidify which questions we want to go over in lecture and has actually made lecture worth going to( I know shocking).
I cannot for the life of me pre-review. I know it's supposed to be helpful, but it's just never been my thing. It just makes me feel overwhelmed because I don't know anything.

I scored pretty high on the first exam (if the avg truly was a 73). I watched the lecture recordings, made Anki, did Anki everyday, and did practice questions. I think this process might be the key to my success, but we'll see once we get back to a systems course.

I cannot for the life of me pre-review. I know it's supposed to be helpful, but it's just never been my thing. It just makes me feel overwhelmed because I don't know anything.

I scored pretty high on the first exam (if the avg truly was a 73). I watched the lecture recordings, made Anki, did Anki everyday, and did practice questions. I think this process might be the key to my success, but we'll see once we get back to a systems course.
I'm trying to reduce the overall time spent, there is people on campus that are spending 70 hours a week studying. taking apart a lecture seems to help me, it's not really previewing but something else.

Did they announce the average was 73? I heard that the averages were mid-80s for both tests in previous years. Did they change this course for our year or something?

Did they announce the average was 73? I heard that the averages were mid-80s for both tests in previous years. Did they change this course for our year or something?

Yeah, Dr. Shnyra said the average was 73, but that’s really suprising... Everyone I talk to thought the average would have been way higher. Maybe some people just really bombed it, but everyone I talked to did a lot better than a 73. Maybe he misspoke? Guess we’ll know when it’s officially posted.

Yeah, Dr. Shnyra said the average was 73, but that’s really suprising... Everyone I talk to thought the average would have been way higher. Maybe some people just really bombed it, but everyone I talked to did a lot better than a 73. Maybe he misspoke? Guess we’ll know when it’s officially posted.

If you listen to the lecture, he says he's really surprised at how well we did on the exam, and then he says "73". I think he just misspoke and meant 83. He even went on to say that "some people" did pretty bad. If the average was 73 then a lot of people would've done pretty bad.

If you listen to the lecture, he says he's really surprised at how well we did on the exam, and then he says "73". I think he just misspoke and meant 83. He even went on to say that "some people" did pretty bad. If the average was 73 then a lot of people would've done pretty bad.
Yeah, I'm thinking the same thing. I think he might have meant 83. Then again, I don't know why he would be surprised considering the average was an 86 last year. The second years did say that he changed the way he was teaching this year.

Also, after he said 73 he said "you probably won't have much of a curve", which wouldn't make sense if the average was 73, but would if it was 83.

Yeah, I'm thinking the same thing. I think he might have meant 83. Then again, I don't know why he would be surprised considering the average was an 86 last year. The second years did say that he changed the way he was teaching this year.

Also, after he said 73 he said "you probably won't have much of a curve", which wouldn't make sense if the average was 73, but would if it was 83.
I will be pretty shocked if the average truly is a 73. Also it's interesting that there are still discrepancies taught between campuses, that's always fun and does nothing but distill disdain for the other campus.

I like how there are like, several unofficial KCU support threads :p

Reactions: 3 users
@fldoctorgirl still going strong?

Something had me thinking about this thread in the last few days. I think it was something about taking a moment and looking around, realizing how much I effin love my job as a psychiatry resident right now. It's amazing. It also makes me reflect on how long the crawl was through the river of suck to get to this place.

I had forgotten how much preclinical years sucked.
As I re-read this thread, this post was particularly on point (hope you're doing okay too btw bro).

I always say you haven't really had the full med school experience till you start failing tests.
This is another one that hits home. It definitely brought me to an entirely new level of humility throughout this journey. One that I still may be recovering from in negative ways (I still have exam-related nightmares and that I'm being dismissed from school) but it also makes me appreciate every day I have in this profession. And keeps me at a level where I'm constantly aware of how much I need to learn and stay on top of knowledge.

Anyway, good luck to any and all others out there who may be struggling. It truly does get better.

• Love
Reactions: 10 users
@fldoctorgirl still going strong?

Something had me thinking about this thread in the last few days. I think it was something about taking a moment and looking around, realizing how much I effin love my job as a psychiatry resident right now. It's amazing. It also makes me reflect on how long the crawl was through the river of suck to get to this place.

As I re-read this thread, this post was particularly on point (hope you're doing okay too btw bro).

This is another one that hits home. It definitely brought me to an entirely new level of humility throughout this journey. One that I still may be recovering from in negative ways (I still have exam-related nightmares and that I'm being dismissed from school) but it also makes me appreciate every day I have in this profession. And keeps me at a level where I'm constantly aware of how much I need to learn and stay on top of knowledge.

Anyway, good luck to any and all others out there who may be struggling. It truly does get better.
Aw, this is a sweet post. I was surprised to see a notification from this thread.

Since you asked, I'm going to put this all here-- normally not a fan of the humble brag, but I do occasionally link this thread in new posts from M1s when they are freaking out, so maybe this can be a source of positivity to someone in the future: I am doing really well! I am so grateful to the SDN community for the support. I am a third year now, top half of my class (went from a mostly B student in M1 to an A student in M2), 250+ on Step 1, honored almost all of my rotations thus far. Looking forward to applying IM next year.

The first 1/2 of M1 was probably one of the darkest times for me in terms of academics. It truly does get better, and no one can understand until they go through it.

Reactions: 9 users
Aw, this is a sweet post. I was surprised to see a notification from this thread.

Since you asked, I'm going to put this all here-- normally not a fan of the humble brag, but I do occasionally link this thread in new posts from M1s when they are freaking out, so maybe this can be a source of positivity to someone in the future: I am doing really well! I am so grateful to the SDN community for the support. I am a third year now, top half of my class (went from a mostly B student in M1 to an A student in M2), 250+ on Step 1, honored almost all of my rotations thus far. Looking forward to applying IM next year.

The first 1/2 of M1 was probably one of the darkest times for me in terms of academics. It truly does get better, and no one can understand until they go through it.

I'm currently a struggling M1 at KCU (almost identical situation to yours, except it's neuro and not MSK for me). Seeing this post gave me hope that my constant suffling/experimenting of study habits and plan to start Anking this winter break (and continue until COMLEX/Step 1) may actually pay off. Thank you for this thread @fldoctorgirl.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
I'm currently a struggling M1 at KCU (almost identical situation to yours, except it's neuro and not MSK for me). Seeing this post gave me hope that my constant suffling/experimenting of study habits and plan to start Anking this winter break (and continue until COMLEX/Step 1) may actually pay off. Thank you for this thread @fldoctorgirl.
Good luck! Let me know if I can be of any help.

Neuro was a really tough one for our class too. You can do it.

This has been such a rough and challenging semester, and MSK and virtual anatomy in particular did not end well in the least for me. It's inspiring to see how you made it past the first semester/year :)

• Love