Freshman finishing first 2 semesters of college with a 3.0 GPA... is all hope lost?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

maybe_possible

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Currently a freshman undergraduate student aspiring to become a physician specializing in emergency medicine. Recently, I've become discouraged with myself because I can't seem to pull off grades that would boost my GPA above a 3.0. During my first semester of classes, I had 2 B's, 1 B-, and 1 B+... I thought that was good until I realized it was a 2.9 GPA. The current semester I'm in is soon coming to a close, and I once again am not showing great grades. I have 2 A's, a B+, and two C's. I think I can bring up those two C's, but I fear that it might not happen. I've been told countless amounts of times by relatives who work in the medical field that having a 3.0 is unacceptable and that there's no way into med school with B's and its stressing me out. Would it be considered unrealistic to think that I can bring my GPA up to at least a 3.5 in the coming years? I guess I'm just looking for some guidance, inspiration, and reassurance because I feel like I'm the only one going through this. Am I preparing myself for heartbreak or is this all just apart of the process of being a pre-med student?

Members don't see this ad.

Short answer: No it's not over.

Long answer: What do you think you're doing wrong? Target your studying deficiencies so that you can turn things around the next 3 years. You still have a long way to go and alot of classes to take.

Which prereqs have you taken already?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Nope! Definitely not over! I finished my first year of college with a 2.75 sGPA and was able to bring it up to a 3.5 be senior year, and have gotten a few decent interviews this cycle. You'll need to do well on the MCAT to balance out the GPA though. Take fewer courses so that you can spend more time studying per course!

Members don't see this ad :)
Nope! Definitely not over! I finished my first year of college with a 2.75 sGPA and was able to bring it up to a 3.5 be senior year, and have gotten a few decent interviews this cycle. You'll need to do well on the MCAT to balance out the GPA though. Take fewer courses so that you can spend more time studying per course!

Hey Taylor! Glad you could make it from that concert last night

Short answer: No it's not over.

Long answer: What do you think you're doing wrong? Target your studying deficiencies

Which prereqs have you taken already?
I've got one more semester of Spanish to take then I'm done with languages. I've got my math, english, and history/social studies prereqs out of the way thanks to some transfer credits from my high school. I'm taking an optional intro to chem class right now and it's hurting me more than helping me... it's one of the C's I have. Seems like most people in my class are struggling too because the class average for our last exam was a D.

I've got one more semester of Spanish to take then I'm done with languages. I've got my math, english, and history/social studies prereqs out of the way thanks to some transfer credits from my high school. I'm taking an optional intro to chem class right now and it's hurting me more than helping me... it's one of the C's I have. Seems like most people in my class are struggling too because the class average for our last exam was a D.

Is the intro to chem class considered chem I for medical school? Or is it the intro to chem before the actual chem series?

Well that's good to hear! Definitely taking less classes next semester so I can focus more. Good luck with your interviews!

Is the intro to chem class considered chem I for medical school? Or is it the intro to chem before the actual chem series?
It's the intro to chem before the actual classes. The original prof who taught this class at my school got fired at the end of last semester for some reason and now the new prof is super disorganized, doesn't assign hw, and gives us poor practice problems that don't prep us for the exams. There's also a lab section included in the class that is run by TA's who would much rather be at home instead of the classroom. Horrible experience overall. The prof isn't even curving our last exam even though the class average was a 65%!

Life is going to hand you curve balls. You need to make the best of your situation. So you get a cruddy class, it happens. Focus on just managing the damage there and moving on and getting high grades in the rest of your class. When you study for the MCAT, you might have to work a little harder in gen chem because of this but the most important is that you don't let this setback hold you back!

I think many of us here have struggled at one point in undergrad, and I'm sure many will attest that its about getting over that hurdle rather than get held down by it that makes it to med school. You can do it. 3.0 will not hold you back. If you get 3.6+, you'll be fine assuming you have EC's, a decent MCAT. Good luck =]

It'll help you more mentally if you focus more on improving semester by semester than just focusing on the end goal of a 3.5gpa

Reactions: 1 user
It's the intro to chem before the actual classes. The original prof who taught this class at my school got fired at the end of last semester for some reason and now the new prof is super disorganized, doesn't assign hw, and gives us poor practice problems that don't prep us for the exams. There's also a lab section included in the class that is run by TA's who would much rather be at home instead of the classroom. Horrible experience overall. The prof isn't even curving our last exam even though the class average was a 65%!

Don't mean to be a debbie downer, but the intro to intro chem courses should be a breeze. It's basically high school chemistry repeated, unless your school is just super hardcore with this intro to intro class. If homework isn't assigned, you should find your own homework to do to practice and make up your own practice problems/flashcards. Regardless of the disorganization of the class and the TAs' lack of enthusiasm, you should be able to answer most of the questions on these exams correctly. As for the class average being a D: keep in mind that those intro to intro classes are usually filled with non-science people so the low average shouldn't be that much of a surprise.

It's not impossible to bring up your grades over the course of your college career. As @tammyp said, focus semester by semester. I would add to that that you should focus on learning the material and then the grades will follow. My concern in your situation, however, is that you're not doing well with classes like this intro class and in Spanish. I'm not sure what other classes you're taking, but if they're of similar caliber you should be getting all above Bs at a minimum.

Maybe you're missing the fundamentals that you didn't get in high school. That's not unusual. Many students enter college thinking they're ready but quickly realize that their knowledge base is deficient. But, more than that, they weren't really taught how to think critically. These may be things you need to work on over the summer. If you're serious about medicine, you need to do a lot of reflection and figure out what went wrong with these classes and what you can do to improve so it doesn't happen again. The real detriment for you would be if you didn't learn from these early mistakes and went on the same way you did before.

Also, if you're serious about medicine, you should be volunteering with at least a couple different organizations consistently and try to get some clinical experience somewhere as well.

Reactions: 1 user