Freshman gpa 3.1 (got 2 C's)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

k2939

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I am a freshman and my freshman year gpa is 3.17 (due to 2 C's)
I had a hard time adapting to the college environment, not because of party or anything. more because of trying to figure out how to study. And because I had to take care of my family for most of the time and research took a lot of time (currently getting my research paper published).

~but I did figure out how to study towards the end of the freshman year.
So I know if I try harder, I can make 4.0s in all my class from now on.

But I realized if I make all A's and few B's. My GPA would only max out at 3.5 - 3.7.
And I don't go to a good University. I go to a small University that isn't even ranked in the top 100 but it has a lot of research, volunteer opportunities and some-what good science college.

Is it possible for me to still get into medical school?
I am determined but those 2 C's really discouraging me.

Members don't see this ad.

A 3.5-3.7 GPA is good enough to get into an MD school. There is a school (can't remember which one) that stated that they applied weights to each years GPAs. It went something like a 1.0 weight for freshman year, 2.0 weight for sophomore and 3.0 for junior and senior meaning your senior and junior years are 3x more important than your freshman year. Just focus on getting As with a few Bs and your GPA won't hold you back.

A 3.5-3.7 GPA is good enough to get into an MD school. There is a school (can't remember which one) that stated that they applied weights to each years GPAs. It went something like a 1.0 weight for freshman year, 2.0 weight for sophomore and 3.0 for junior and senior meaning your senior and junior years are 3x more important than your freshman year. Just focus on getting As with a few Bs and your GPA won't hold you back.
OP - just need to really concentrate on those grades from here on out!