Freshman Screw Up...Chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

turnitaround20

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Long story short, I really screwed up freshman year. First semester was me being careless and thinking I could get away with last minute studying. Did not work out well at all. Second semester I was doing well, but some family and personal issues caused me to go into a minor depression. I started to fix my grades but even then it wasn't enough. My GPA currently is about a 3.5 overall (haven't gotten this semester's grades yet)
However both Chem 1 and 2(potentially) will be C's and my Bio1 class will be a B.
That being said, I am a smart student I just didn't apply myself and had those issues. I'm transferring schools and starting fresh.
Regardless, I only had 2 A's this entire year. Very disappointing. I've been told to think about changing my major but I genuinely do not know what else I'd do.
Let's say I do really go back and give it all I got and get an A in basically every class from here on out. What are my chances with med school then?
I should be doing research next year. I'm part of a medical club (active in it too). I will also have a job at a doctor's office that will give me some experience.

So all summed up, if I show that my freshman year was just a screw up and my GPA stays 3.9-4.0, I get a good MCAT score, and I have extra curriculars... what are my possibilities?

Members don't see this ad.

Uhmmm correct me if I'm wrong but your GPA doesn't add up... Even if your first semester was a C and you also had both your A's that semester your highest gpa could only be a 3.33 any B's you got would even make that lower.

I agree with the above poster; your GPA does not add up.

Regardless, you shouldn't worry that much. You are only a freshman. You have 4 semesters to fix your GPA, 6 semesters if you take a gap year. That's plenty of time. Ace the MCAT and have good EC's and you'll still be an extremely competitive applicant.

Good luck.