Freshmen Grades

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chill e dawg

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Im a young one and im just entering college. I might be interested in applying to a mdphd 4 years from now, and i was wondering...

I know a reputable college (swarthmore) makes there students take courses on a pass/fail basis their first semester. At my school, I am given the option of taking courses pass/fail or graded. Would taking all my classes pass/fail 1st semester be a bad idea? My reasoning is that if another college does it, and their students do great into pursueing their interests, then why couldn't I? I think it would be much easier for a transition into college...

Or would I shoot myself 4 years from now when I apply to grad/med (or maybe something totally different... who knows) school because of that one semester? Thoughts anyone? Much appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

chill e dawg said:
Im a young one and im just entering college. I might be interested in applying to a mdphd 4 years from now, and i was wondering...

I know a reputable college (swarthmore) makes there students take courses on a pass/fail basis their first semester. At my school, I am given the option of taking courses pass/fail or graded. Would taking all my classes pass/fail 1st semester be a bad idea? My reasoning is that if another college does it, and their students do great into pursueing their interests, then why couldn't I? I think it would be much easier for a transition into college...

Or would I shoot myself 4 years from now when I apply to grad/med (or maybe something totally different... who knows) school because of that one semester? Thoughts anyone? Much appreciated!

Well, for MD/PhD, I think they would get a little suspicious if you did not take the first semester for grades, since the adcoms expect you to be able to handle more than most other average college kids, especially, when you're given the option like at your school. However, for med school, it is certainly not necessary since I know many colleges with kids who take 1st semester p/f and make it into med schools. I , personally, had a difficult transition from high school to college, and I took first semester for grades, and no, i didn't make a 4.0, but, my gpa was still pretty damn good for a first semester--if i recall it was about a 3.75. Look, just do the work and you'll make the grades,so don't worry about it. In truth, the adcoms at md/phd programs probably wouldn't care, but you should show yourself that you can handle new things that are difficult, which come up a lot in md/phd, so your first semester in college will be your first test for you.

Good luck!
if you have any other questions, I will be glad to help

I went to Hopkins for undergrad. I had the choice of having my first semester grades count versus not count. I didn't want the pressure of having them count when I was still adjusting to college life.

Hence, my first semester grades were pass/fail. This issue NEVER came up during the application process.

Members don't see this ad :)
AndyMilonakis said:
I went to Hopkins for undergrad. I had the choice of having my first semester grades count versus not count. I didn't want the pressure of having them count when I was still adjusting to college life.

Hence, my first semester grades were pass/fail. This issue NEVER came up during the application process.

Were you accepted to any MD/PhD programs?

dave613 said:
Were you accepted to any MD/PhD programs?

I'm currently at University of Michigan MSTP now. And I'm finishing up the whole program as I only have 2 more months of clinicals left.

Again, the pass/fail issue was never an issue during my application experience. Not to brag but to put this all into perspective, I was accepted into 4 other programs: UCSF, Cornell, Emory, Vanderbilt.

AndyMilonakis said:
I'm currently at University of Michigan MSTP now. And I'm finishing up the whole program as I only have 2 more months of clinicals left.

Again, the pass/fail issue was never an issue during my application experience. Not to brag but to put this all into perspective, I was accepted into 4 other programs: UCSF, Cornell, Emory, Vanderbilt.

so pass/fail it is!!

thanks Andy

Wow, I almost told myself that I would just go ahead and take the grades... but now that you post... Well, the college that I'm going to (Williams) gives the option to take p/f courses, but its not just restricted to freshmen... so it's not one of those things that the school kind of supports; more like something that i might consider because I heard about other college giving there students that option. So, since the school doesn't offer it (like you in Hopkins), then, do you think that changes anything?

Everybody keeps on telling me that if I don't expect to get good grades, how can i expect to go on to grad/med school... blah,blah,blah. It's not that, I have confidence in myself... But I think 1st sem. college would be great to have p/f. I mean if I have strong grades throughout college, and a good background in research, i don't think the p/f would make a difference. But then again, if I don't do as well... then i guess that just means i shouldn't apply in the first place. Huh... got me thinking again.

chill e dawg said:
Wow, I almost told myself that I would just go ahead and take the grades... but now that you post... Well, the college that I'm going to (Williams) gives the option to take p/f courses, but its not just restricted to freshmen... so it's not one of those things that the school kind of supports; more like something that i might consider because I heard about other college giving there students that option. So, since the school doesn't offer it (like you in Hopkins), then, do you think that changes anything?

At hopkins we could take courses pass/fail during any semester. We were limited to taking only one course per semester pass/fail. However, during the first semester/freshman year, we had several options which depended on AP credits:
<14 AP credits = your first semester grades are automatically pass/fail just like everyone else

14-23 AP credits = you now have the option of converting your first semester grades from pass/fail to having grades shown on the transcript. If you exercise this option, you become in sophomore standing during second semester of your first year.

24+ AP credits = you automatically enter Hopkins with sophomore standing and your grades from first semester WILL be posted (i.e., no pass/fail for you).

I was in the last group however I dropped my AP spanish credits to fall to 20 AP credits. I liked having a CHOICE of keeping my grades pass/fail or "opening" my first semester grades. I won't go into what grades I ended up getting but let's just say my first semester grades stayed pass/fail. :)

In your situation, it seems that you can take a class pass/fail right? Or can you take all your class pass/fail? I'm not sure about the exact grading policies at Williams but if you have the option like I did, there should be no fear on your part that having your first semester grades as pass/fail grades will hurt your chances of admission. Also, in the future, don't take major science classes pass/fail (unless it's your senior year). Taking premed core classes pass/fail is definitely a no-no (but I figured you knew that already :) ).

Hopefully I answered your question...PM me if you have any other questions.