Friday seminar course interfere with interview days?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fouracle

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a rising senior applying this cycle. I already registered for courses this coming fall, and there was one particular course I was really interested in - a 3-hour seminar course that only meets once a week on Fridays. I didn't think this would be an issue until I realized that most interview days are on Fridays (esp. TMDSAS schools). If I were to miss a day of classes on a Friday for interviews, this would be mean I'd miss the whole week of classes for this particular seminar course. I feel like this would not be very good for my grade in this course....

Has anyone had any similar experiences? Should I just switch out into a different class (I don't want to do this, as this course has piqued my interest since my freshman year, and this would be my last chance to take it)? Should I try emailing my professor to see if maybe something can be worked out? Would the frequency of interviews be enough to really be detrimental to my performance in this course, or do you think that it'd be sparse enough that I shouldn't really be affected provided I put in a reasonable amount of effort to catch up? Suggestions?

Members don't see this ad.

This is part of the issue with applying during your senior year. You ARE going to miss class here or there to go on interviews.

Can you possibly take this particular course P/NP so it doesn't hurt your GPA if you don't do well. Also consider that some of your interviews may not be until the spring semester.

I would suggest speaking to your prof...actually I would suggest speaking to all of them about the possibility of interviews interfering with your ability to make it to class on occasion. What happens if one coincides with a mid term or a final?

Reactions: 1 user
I ended up missing my classes a lot regardless of the day they were on. You can't really predict which schools you'll interview at and what days you'll end up traveling and interviewing. I dropped all my Friday classes shortly after the semester started with hopes of scheduling most of my interviews for that day, but very few of my interviews actually landed on Fridays so having Fridays off didn't really help me a ton. However, all of my professors were very understanding of the situation and tried to accommodate me when possible. Some of my grades did suffer a little and I wasn't always able to make up for all of the absences, but in the grand scheme of things, getting a lower grade because you were busy attending medical school interviews isn't going to be a big deal. That being said, by the middle of the interview season I did start turning down interviews I normally would have attended because I felt I was missing too much class. I'd say take the class, talk to your professor right away about the possibility of missing classes, and then just do your best to schedule around it and to stay on top of the work you missed.

Reactions: 1 users