Friday thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Nope- we're doing just fine over on the "inductive" side of the street. It's not as fancy over he as in the hypothetical-deductive side of town, but the rents are cheaper.

I'd wager you still need/use the hypothetical/deductive side of things quite often. We validate your instruments, and you still need to know about statistical and clinically meaningful change, otherwise you're just making assumptions of behavior change using arbitrary metrics.

I'd wager you still need/use the hypothetical/deductive side of things quite often. We validate your instruments, and you still need to know about statistical and clinically meaningful change, otherwise you're just making assumptions of behavior change using arbitrary metrics.
I must admit that I occasionally wander over to your side of the tracks, particularly when I'm acting like a psychologist and doing assessments. I'd argue (actually people much smarted than I would argue) that, on the ABA side of things, we do just fine with our single case designs. It's a different type of research, asks different types of questions, and the results need to be applied differently, but it all works very well for us when we use it correctly. Still- IMHO- there is not good excuse for us to not include at least an introductory grad level stats class in our ABA curriculum. To keep on topic, I'm actually going to be spending the weekend prepping for classes starting next week- I'm teach Research Design for ABA this fall.

Care to design an ABA design for that one, @ClinicalABA ?
Hah! I'll pass on that one. If results are valid- I've only seen the abstract and am afraid to do a search for the whole article- it seems like the premise for an Adam Sandler or Rob Schneider movie. Plus- our methods aren't so great for correlationial studies.

You forgot "and takes 100x the lines of code needed for Mplus"

Ha, yeah, it's a little code heavy, but you can generally use the same code to run stats across different datasets. So, once you have it done, it's just a find and replace function and you can run it again on anything else for the most part.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ha, yeah, it's a little code heavy, but you can generally use the same code to run stats across different datasets. So, once you have it done, it's just a find and replace function and you can run it again on anything else for the most part.
I keep hearing that and swearing I'll switch to it because I'm .. uh... "economically minded" I think is the politically correct term. I just keep not learning it. Any good compile resource suggestions (with hopes that one of them will inspire me)?

I keep hearing that and swearing I'll switch to it because I'm .. uh... "economically minded" I think is the politically correct term. I just keep not learning it. Any good compile resource suggestions (with hopes that one of them will inspire me)?
My best friend, who does healthcare stats for Walgreens, sent me a bunch of stuff. As I make my way through it, I'll pass along good resources.

Is the formatting of SDN all funky for everyone, or is it just me?
Looking normal to me.

Also, anyone else having a good laugh at the guy running for the 4th time for APA president who wants to end accredited internships and who talks about his book in his candidate statement? Making my Friday lol.

Todd E. Finnerty, PhD: candidate statement

For someone who describes APA as "self-centered" and "narcissistic" he sure talks about his own petty non-issues a lot.

That's it: I'm gonna run for APA president under the banner of, "I'm gonna force success".

Step 1: force integration of many divisions. Division membership is not optional. Participation in voting is not optional. Fines for non-participation are steep. Only actionable items can be proposed. Everyone has to learn to play nice.
Step 2: Increase membership dues to $2000/yr.
Step 3: Advertising, sponsorship, etc cost 8 times what they do now. For profit schools can advertise but they pay 29 times more than everyone else.
Step 4: Hire a ton of lobbyist. And PR firms.
Step 5: Accreditation now costs 8-20 times what it does now.
Step 6: Accredit MA programs.
Step 7: Create a study which determines market need, professional life cycle, etc.
Step 8: Programs can only produce the number of professionals that can be supported by 7, including MA people.
Step 9: Use lobbyists to encourage state boards to only license graduates from accredited programs.
Step 10: Sue the ever living hell out of crappy programs for something using money from 2.
Step 11: Members are required to submit description of their practices. Review the practices of every member. Wackadoos get sued for screwing up the profession and then reported to the state board.
Step 12: Create practice guidelines so that every member over 65 must have their practice reviewed every 2 years. Use this to send to state boards. Creates more market opportunity.
Step 13: Create a helpline for salary negotiations with standard forms, which toes the line but does not legal lines.
Step 14: Fine the ever living hell out of psychologists who financially exploit ECPs. This is not tolerated. Also fine or sue the torture guys 75% of their earnings. Now we have a cool $50mil.
Ste 15: We hire tony puente as a full time person and pay him a ton.
Step 16: We make a public statement indicating that liking the red sox is a serious mental illness requiring long term hospitalization.
Step 17: Advocate for Rxp. Whether people like it or not, it's good to have the option.
Step 18: Lobby for physician definition by CMS.
Step 19: Members who make phone calls to their reps get paid for their time. Same for face to face meetings

That's it: I'm gonna run for APA president under the banner of, "I'm gonna force success".

Step 1: force integration of many divisions. Division membership is not optional. Participation in voting is not optional. Fines for non-participation are steep. Only actionable items can be proposed. Everyone has to learn to play nice.
Step 2: Increase membership dues to $2000/yr.
Step 3: Advertising, sponsorship, etc cost 8 times what they do now. For profit schools can advertise but they pay 29 times more than everyone else.
Step 4: Hire a ton of lobbyist. And PR firms.
Step 5: Accreditation now costs 8-20 times what it does now.
Step 6: Accredit MA programs.
Step 7: Create a study which determines market need, professional life cycle, etc.
Step 8: Programs can only produce the number of professionals that can be supported by 7, including MA people.
Step 9: Use lobbyists to encourage state boards to only license graduates from accredited programs.
Step 10: Sue the ever living hell out of crappy programs for something using money from 2.
Step 11: Members are required to submit description of their practices. Review the practices of every member. Wackadoos get sued for screwing up the profession and then reported to the state board.
Step 12: Create practice guidelines so that every member over 65 must have their practice reviewed every 2 years. Use this to send to state boards. Creates more market opportunity.
Step 13: Create a helpline for salary negotiations with standard forms, which toes the line but does not legal lines.
Step 14: Fine the ever living hell out of psychologists who financially exploit ECPs. This is not tolerated. Also fine or sue the torture guys 75% of their earnings. Now we have a cool $50mil.
Ste 15: We hire tony puente as a full time person and pay him a ton.
Step 16: We make a public statement indicating that liking the red sox is a serious mental illness requiring long term hospitalization.
Step 17: Advocate for Rxp. Whether people like it or not, it's good to have the option.
Step 18: Lobby for physician definition by CMS.
Step 19: Members who make phone calls to their reps get paid for their time. Same for face to face meetings
sure sure,

But... is there an official position on if the Browns are even /really/ an actual sports team or if its just a group of people who happen to stand on the field while other teams do things?

sure sure,

But... is there an official position on if the Browns are even /really/ an actual sports team or if its just a group of people who happen to stand on the field while other teams do things?

Can we just extend that to the whole city of Cleveland? The Mistake on the Lake?

Since we will only have like 10 divisions, we will engage in public outreach through joint division projects. Sports will be a high ROI project.

1) We will commission studies correlating mental illness as evidenced by observation of their NFL teams with geographic locations. I hypothesize that fandom of the Browns, the Steelers, and stadium football will be found to be some form of folie a ville. Houston will be a special case since they sold the Oilers to Tennessee, and then created another NFL team a few years later. A public outreach team will relay these findings to ESPN. We will vote as to whether we want to use a male/female presenter team, Lewis Black, or a group of actors recreating the SNL skit "da bears".

2) Living in certain locations without a very very very good reason will be declared a mental illness. I'm looking at you the Dakotas. Same for using bumper stickers which show you buy a product.

3) We will issue a statement indicating that the belief that poker, "professional wrestling", or golf are sports is a delusional disorder.

Looking normal to me.

Also, anyone else having a good laugh at the guy running for the 4th time for APA president who wants to end accredited internships and who talks about his book in his candidate statement? Making my Friday lol.

Todd E. Finnerty, PhD: candidate statement

He's a regular....for better or worse. I'm all for free market and deregulation in many different industries, but psych training is not one of those industries.

Solid weekend planned. Baseball tonight. Might go hiking tomorrow or chill in a hammock and read a book. College football in the afternoon. Sunday is a morning workout, brunch, then football.

Planning some longs walks to enjoy the first hint of fall weather. Also, planning my kid's birthday party, reminding myself it really is in my interest to buy the requisite things before the day of the party.

Reactions: 1 users
Vacation resulted in (not so) minor broken tibia. Off crutches last week. Hoping first week of normalcy goes better than this guy's.

Do you at least have a good, heroic story to tell?

Yea. I'm rusty at full court basketball with those half my age. Grumble, grumble...something..."kids these days"...grumble, grumble.

Wasn't quite Kevin Ware-esk...but the last 6 weeks have sucked. Thank goodness for 'in sickness and in health", parents, and good friends.

Last edited:
Yea. I'm rusty at full court basketball with those half my age. Grumble, grumble...something..."kids these days"...grumble, grumble.

Wasn't quite Kevin Ware-esk...but the last 6 weeks have sucked. Thank goodness for 'in sickness and in health", parents, and good friends.

Now now now, use your Rs.

I have a 3 story colonial. I finally got to transverse all 3 floors without assistance today when I got home.

Jerry Is proud.

Bonus of the day:

Last edited:
Just got my flu vaccination. I sure hope I don't catch teh autism.
Keep me posted. Funny thing is that every year I seemed to catch the flu from some kiddo with autism. As a result, I started consistently getting the vaccination. In my case, it's accurate to say that autism caused vaccinations.

Reactions: 3 users
Just got my flu vaccination. I sure hope I don't catch teh autism.

If you get your shot from the pharmacy at Target you get a $5 gift card to go with your autism, to offset the cost of the new hobbies you will likely enjoy.

Reactions: 1 users
It's not Friday, but today brings me to a point where I'm planning on a glass of merlot in front of a fireplace while I do an article review thats due tomorrow. Work, work, work...

Wait, you review articles before the reviews are due? ;)

Reactions: 2 users
I got a new job that I'll be starting fairly soon so I'm pretty excited about that.

Its only a month into grad school and I'm emotionally drained. I'm finished, done, dunion rings! Gonna pack up and become a life coach.