Friday thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Its only a month into grad school and I'm emotionally drained. I'm finished, done, dunion rings! Gonna pack up and become a life coach.
It gets better. Maybe not for a while, but eventually. Hang in there, and take some time off from studying this weekend!

Members don't see this ad.

Its only a month into grad school and I'm emotionally drained. I'm finished, done, dunion rings! Gonna pack up and become a life coach.
"Everything's better with some wine in the Belly" - Tyrion Lannister

In all seriousness, just give it time and let the process start to settle down. The first little bit is always tough and in time it gets easier. Take some time to enjoy the weekend.

Reactions: 1 user
The first time I wanted to quit was after my adult psychopathology mid-term in my first semester. There were a couple other times in my 3rd and then 4th years, and then a couple times on fellowship, but then....I realized I genuinely enjoy what I do.

There will always be an ebb and flow for me, but I have so much more flexibility now bc I'm licensed and have been able to expand into different areas.

Members don't see this ad :)
I thought about dropping out in my 2nd year, before transferring with my advisor. After that, grad school, internship, and fellowship were great. Keep at it, it will normalize.

Adult dinner party and sports on tap this weekend for me.

Tonight: Braised veal cheeks, 2 manhattans, and some sleep. Might try my long run in the am. Flight on Sunday.

I seriously considered leaving in my second year. Applied to a doctorate in another field altogether even.

Tonight: Braised veal cheeks, 2 manhattans, and some sleep. Might try my long run in the am. Flight on Sunday.

I seriously considered leaving in my second year. Applied to a doctorate in another field altogether even.

Sounds great, as long as the manhattans are made with dry vermouth.

"Everything's better with some wine in the Belly" - Tyrion Lannister

In all seriousness, just give it time and let the process start to settle down. The first little bit is always tough and in time it gets easier. Take some time to enjoy the weekend.

The first time I wanted to quit was after my adult psychopathology mid-term in my first semester. There were a couple other times in my 3rd and then 4th years, and then a couple times on fellowship, but then....I realized I genuinely enjoy what I do.

There will always be an ebb and flow for me, but I have so much more flexibility now bc I'm licensed and have been able to expand into different areas.

I thought about dropping out in my 2nd year, before transferring with my advisor. After that, grad school, internship, and fellowship were great. Keep at it, it will normalize.

Adult dinner party and sports on tap this weekend for me.

Thanks everyone! I think its having 7 classes and full lab duties on top of fellowship apps that's really getting to me. I also didn't take time off in the summer so I never had an official break. I know it'll get better...at some point, and I honestly would rather be this type of stressed out over 'holy **** its grad school application season' again.

Thanks everyone! I think its having 7 classes and full lab duties on top of fellowship apps that's really getting to me. I also didn't take time off in the summer so I never had an official break. I know it'll get better...at some point, and I honestly would rather be this type of stressed out over 'holy **** its grad school application season' again.
7 classes at once sounds like an awful lot. Can you avoid that in future semesters? Is it normal in your program to take 7 classes at once? How many of those are practica?

We're talking about the weekend already?

As long as there is talk of Manhattans, I'm cool with it.

Veal cheeks - perhaps sous vide would be a fun experiment?

We're talking about the weekend already?

As long as there is talk of Manhattans, I'm cool with it.

Veal cheeks - perhaps sous vide would be a fun experiment?

Hmm, now that you mention it Manhattans do seem like a good call for this weekend. It's only Tuesday, but it doesn't hurt to plan ahead. Do you like you like 'em dry, sweet, or perfect? Splurge on some actual real maraschino cherries. Stupid expensive- like 20 bucks a jar- but soooo good in a manhattan. Add a little of the syrup to mix before stirring (stirred, not shaken!), and you'll forget about the cost.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wonderful additions. The Sazerac reappeared on my list after my most recent trip New Orleans. I also enjoyed a couple of Dark & Stormys down there.

I'm hit and miss with the Mint Julip. For something light I'm much more of a mojito fan, but only if made fresh and w a proper muddle. I only drink a few cocktails a month, so I'm picky.

juleps can be hit or miss. Proof on Main in Louisville w/ Woodford Reserve makes an excellent mint julep.

That's a respectable progression of beverages. Favorite bourbon?
It depends on my mood. In most cases I'll opt for Angel's Envy w an ice ball and just enjoy a smooth and relaxing drink.

If I'm making a cocktail I'll use Woodford Reserve or Makers/Makers 46, and my budget bourbon is Bullit. I'll drink any of them w ice, I just find the Angel's Envy can get lost in a cocktail more easily.

It depends on my mood. In most cases I'll opt for Angel's Envy w an ice ball and just enjoy a smooth and relaxing drink.

If I'm making a cocktail I'll use Woodford Reserve or Makers/Makers 46, and my budget bourbon is Bullit.

Bulleit is a good budget pick, but I'd argue that it's better in quality than many of its more costly competitors. Scotch is a different story, harder to find good budget picks there IMO.

I completely agree about having more range in bourbon for the $. When I do have scotch I stick mostly w single malt scotch, so I know I'm missing out on a bunch of better blends <$100, I just find better options elsewhere.

Most scotch is too heavy, peaty, etc for me. I stick mostly to Oban, but I'll try other Highland scotches if something catches my eye. I found Japanese whiskey as a good alternative to scotch bc many of them are on the lighter side and do well over an ice ball. The problem is finding a consistent source w/o paying a premium for it.

Last edited:
7 classes at once sounds like an awful lot. Can you avoid that in future semesters? Is it normal in your program to take 7 classes at once? How many of those are practica?

Agreed, 7 sounds hellish, even if you just skim for most of the classes.

Without a masters taking 7 classes is unavoidable. And it'll be this way next semester as well. I believe after this year it will 4 classes each semester not including practica/internship. Since I'm a first year I don't have practica but I do have 10 - 20 hours of lab work/managerial duties then outside extracurriculars. Not sure why its structured this way but I'm pretty resilient and it gives me so much to look forward to (free time!!).

Without a masters taking 7 classes is unavoidable. And it'll be this way next semester as well. I believe after this year it will 4 classes each semester not including practica/internship. Since I'm a first year I don't have practica but I do have 10 - 20 hours of lab work/managerial duties then outside extracurriculars. Not sure why its structured this way but I'm pretty resilient and it gives me so much to look forward to (free time!!).
Geez. That sounds really intense to me.

Well, hopefully it will make the next years seem a bit easier by comparison?

Ok, we've touched on bourbon, how about wine - fav selections?
Barolo, though considering cost I've never had a bad nebbiolo from anywhere
Cab franc - France obviously does this well though VA up through PA and even NY make some good ones

Only when chased with Firewater

Lots of work this weekend. In between:

Long run Saturday AM, drinks with a judge Saturday PM. Doing a qualifying test for a hobby Sunday.

Phew! Hope everyone's Friday was awesome. On my end, 6 hours of meetings done! Teaching tomorrow then freedom on Sunday to not wear pants. It'll be glorious!

Also, applying to ford and have no idea what i'm doing. Anyone mind pm'ing me advice *winkwink nudgenudge*

Car shopping. Family is growing, in need of a 3rd row...

Reactions: 2 users
Volleyball, bday drinks for a friend after. Wife is busy this weekend with training stuff so I'm going to organize some forensic stuff and play some video games. I need to kill some Nazis and finish Wolfenstein New Order before starting the sequel.

Trolling local craigslist and facebook groups for used baby things. I hate shopping and I hate spending money on things over experiences- both are very high up on my list of things I DON'T like to do, but guess I better get used to it with a little one on the way. But then treating myself to tickets to an upcoming Avett Brothers concert. It'll be a spendier weekend than most.

At the Neuroscience Education Institute (NEI) Annual Psychopharmacology Congress in Colorado Springs experiencing my own increase in brain-derived neurotrophic factor and hippocampal neurogenesis. Good times.