Friday thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
No beer this weekend, but I'm hosting a little whiskey tasting tonight and my usual board game group on Sunday before the game.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Still have some of the beer leftover from last weekend for me, though did buy a local double IPA (Building 8 Brewery) for my wife. Per PSYDR list from last week, I bought some a Sazerac Rye and made some Manhattans, which were very tasty. Spent today making some pretzels and mustard to enjoy at the bar after playing hockey this evening. Going to an a cappella competition tomorrow before the game (sorry- I’m a Pats fan!).

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
What are you playing nowadays?
I'm still ticking away at gloomhaven little by little but I've been throwing in a lot of other ones as well. The top favorites are Sherriff of Nottingham, Azul, secret hitler when we have enough folks, endangered orphans of condyle cover (we LOVE this one), the end is nigh, burgle bros, and the binding of isaac four souls. The social deduction / betrayal games are a real hit for me.

I have waaaaay too many boardgames...

Busy weekend. Wife's family is in town for a surprise 60th bday party for her dad, so I'll be doing some running around there. Volleyball as always. Other than that, just working on my snark for at least an hour a day, like always.

Busy weekend. Wife's family is in town for a surprise 60th bday party for her dad, so I'll be doing some running around there. Volleyball as always. Other than that, just working on my snark for at least an hour a day, like always.
Perhaps you should change your location to Snarckville, USA. :nod:

First weekend in a long time with no work. Must be because Argosy is getting shutdown lol I hope my stream isn’t drying up :p

Picked up a couple stouts that I’m excited about.

First weekend in a long time with no work. Must be because Argosy is getting shutdown lol I hope my stream isn’t drying up :p

Picked up a couple stouts that I’m excited about.

I've stolen a couple referral sources from some of the grads of the local Argosy here. My wait list has been growing quite a bit, hoping to justify another neuro hire within the next year.

I've stolen a couple referral sources from some of the grads of the local Argosy here. My wait list has been growing quite a bit, hoping to justify another neuro hire within the next year.

Same situation here. Only problem is that I’m a one man evaluation circus right now. Best to keep the hustle going while I’m young I guess ha

It should be a great few days here. About to start an admissions meeting about prospective students so then I'll call folks to extend offers. That's always fun to do because I remember how nice it was to be on the receiving end of a call like that. Afterwards, my dad is in town for a visit - so barbecue, bourbon, and may try out a new brewery in town to boot. Then, of course, a Sunday of board games as usual. I'm aching to try out Mythic Battles soon....

It should be a great few days here. About to start an admissions meeting about prospective students so then I'll call folks to extend offers. That's always fun to do because I remember how nice it was to be on the receiving end of a call like that. Afterwards, my dad is in town for a visit - so barbecue, bourbon, and may try out a new brewery in town to boot. Then, of course, a Sunday of board games as usual. I'm aching to try out Mythic Battles soon....

Haven't heard of Mythic Battles yet. Let us know how it goes. We're about to start a Betrayal Legacy game. I also have about 5 other board games I need to unwrap and add to the ever increasing shelves.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, the mods haven't stepped in telling me to stay on topic yet :)
TOS#7 Wis:
Stay on topic. Our membership encourages open discussion and debate as long as it relates to the topic of the thread at hand. Posts that do not relate to the original purpose or topic of the thread may be moved to a more appropriate location.

TOS#7 Wis:
Stay on topic. Our membership encourages open discussion and debate as long as it relates to the topic of the thread at hand. Posts that do not relate to the original purpose or topic of the thread may be moved to a more appropriate location.

STOP CENSORING ME

Last day of winter break; spring semester begins Monday. Older daughter at grandparents’ so wife and I enjoying being only responsible for 1 little human. It’s amazing how easy a 4-month old feels now in comparison to a toddler. Cooking. Cleaning. Napping. Netflixing. Dinner with friends. Maybe even the first lawn mowing of the year.

I was going to make fun of you guys for being board game nerds. Then I realized I was downloading new citations into endnote, and stopped myself so....

I’ll be traveling for work again. And writing reports in hotel rooms. If you see a stressed out looking guy in an airport doing psychology stuff, that might be me.

Afterwards, my dad is in town for a visit - so barbecue, bourbon, and may try out a new brewery in town to boot.

I’m picturing this:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_5933929fe4b02478cb9c34cd/amp

Few days in the big city (Boston) with the family. Saw LA beat local team last night- thankfully a different outcome than last Sunday. Aquarium today, Italian food in north end tonight. Wife and kids in the hotel chilling, me enjoying beverages (a Boulevardier and a local ESB) at the bar across the street. Home tomorrow and correcting papers on Sunday.

Just finished a day of didactic for interns and post-docs.

Italian food and a bottle of wine with the wife tonight. Then couch shopping this weekend. Need some new living room furniture.

Bourbon and Netflix tonight. Kid sports tomorrow, followed by a long run and then some work catchup on Sunday.

I need to find more friends who play board games. That goes really well with bourbon. Right now we just all get together and take turns entertaining the kids in shifts while everyone else drinks. It’s an effective system but no board games.

Bourbon and Netflix tonight. Kid sports tomorrow, followed by a long run and then some work catchup on Sunday.

I need to find more friends who play board games. That goes really well with bourbon. Right now we just all get together and take turns entertaining the kids in shifts while everyone else drinks. It’s an effective system but no board games.

I love board games and bourbon, but I dont think I live anywhere near you.

Going to see J Mascis this evening, then meeting the family at a farm/inn up in New Hampshire for some book reading, x-country skiing, contra dancing, mini-vacationing for the long weekend.

Just found out last night that my daughter got into her first choice college. Looks like I’ll be drinking the cheap stuff for the next several years. She wants to study psychology, so we’ll keep her bedroom in place for when she inevitably moves back home after college!

Reactions: 3 users
Going to see J Mascis this evening, then meeting the family at a farm/inn up in New Hampshire for some book reading, x-country skiing, contra dancing, mini-vacationing for the long weekend.

Just found out last night that my daughter got into her first choice college. Looks like I’ll be drinking the cheap stuff for the next several years. She wants to study psychology, so we’ll keep her bedroom in place for when she inevitably moves back home after college!

Why would you do that to your kids?!? We are forbidding our kids to get their PhD or MD. We're going to do our best to push them into plumbing and building contracting, so they can remodel and fix everything in our future homes.

Why would you do that to your kids?!?.
I know, right! Fortunately, her college requires all arts and sciences majors to minor in the school of business (and vice versa), so hopefully she’ll have some good business sense. I’d push them into plumbing and building so they can BUY our future homes!

Hospital discovered that I was faaaaar behind on charting. So I'll be in medical records all weekend, dictating.

It's friday, woohoo!!! That is all...move along please.

It's friday, woohoo!!! That is all...move along please.
I concur. Had a few “make the parents cry” sessions this week. The “crying but pretending not to” type, with dad becoming very quiet and then leaving the room to go to the bathroom to re-compose. On a rational level I know that this marks the point where things will start to get better, but it still gets me. Going to enjoy the weekend with some fly-tying, x-country skiing, and playing hockey. Manhattan for me this evening, and a heated game of Rummikub with my lovely wife (who I just made a dirty vodka martini- how can anyone drink that stuff!). Picked up a local goat cheese coated in pink peppercorns, and it is just sublimely good!

I'll drink 3 beers in your memory

Meanwhile, brewery #2 down on my weekend ski and brewery tour!
Very jealous. Allagash Brewery was doing a tasting at my local “packy”. Very interesting Scotch Ale, aged in scotch barrels that previously held port. 9.3% ABV. Reminds me a little of Dogfish Head Palo Santo Maron.

Thai food tonight....cocktails or bottle of wine, the tough decision.

I'll drink 3 beers in your memory

Meanwhile, brewery #2 down on my weekend ski and brewery tour!

I feel like that should be renamed the weekend 'brewery and falling down a ski slope' tour. That might just be me though.

Thai food tonight....cocktails or bottle of wine, the tough decision.

I'm having Japanese food and cabernet. But only because I'm ordering in and my home bar is kinda basic.

I'm having Japanese food and cabernet. But only because I'm ordering in and my home bar is kinda basic.
You do you! Enjoy!
We’re making crispy lemon Parmesan chicken and broccolini from one of those meal services (this one is Martha Stewart, but have also done Plated and Hello Fresh). It’s an overly fussy recipe, so it better taste good!

Last edited:
You do you! Enjoy!
We’re making crispy lemon Parmesan chicken and broccolini fro one of those meal services (this one is Martha Stewart, but have also done Plated and Hello Fresh). It’s an overly fussy recipe, so it better taste good!

Hello Fresh >> Martha Stewart in my experience. That meal sounds pretty good though!

I feel like that should be renamed the weekend 'brewery and falling down a ski slope' tour. That might just be me though.
Then it sounds like the reason I'm falling is justified. Trust me. The drinks are for bravery to help along what's going to happen on it's own!

Very jealous. Allagash Brewery was doing a tasting at my local “packy”. Very interesting Scotch Ale, aged in scotch barrels that previously held port. 9.3% ABV. Reminds me a little of Dogfish Head Palo Santo Maron.
I do love a scotch. Stuck in a winter storm at the moment so decided to make the most of stouts. Had a delicious peanut butter stout a few ago at around 8.9%, without an overpowering PB taste. Makes me need to strike up the next brew session

I concur. Had a few “make the parents cry” sessions this week. The “crying but pretending not to” type, with dad becoming very quiet and then leaving the room to go to the bathroom to re-compose. On a rational level I know that this marks the point where things will start to get better, but it still gets me. Going to enjoy the weekend with some fly-tying, x-country skiing, and playing hockey. Manhattan for me this evening, and a heated game of Rummikub with my lovely wife (who I just made a dirty vodka martini- how can anyone drink that stuff!). Picked up a local goat cheese coated in pink peppercorns, and it is just sublimely good!
Had to have my own “come to Jesus” moment with a parent today to explain her kid’s IQ wasn’t likely to improve much down the road, but I’m not sure sure I’ve hit that turn-around point yet either. And I wasn’t even the one who completed the testing. Sigh. Glad you are enjoying your weekend!
Then it sounds like the reason I'm falling is justified. Trust me. The drinks are for bravery to help along what's going to happen on it's own
Gravity...it’s not just for kids anymore!

Oh look....snow. I’m over it.

I’m currently in a fantasy baseball dynasty auction league draft. I took over someone else’s team; it’ll be a long climb to the top! The draft started last week (for restricted free agents) and now we are on the regular free agent draft. After that we do the minor league draft. This may take some time. :laugh:

Wow- no updates to this thread in the past month. You all been working too hard!

I’m off tomorrow with Mrs. ClinicalABA for our annual late winter backpacking trip to a primitive cabin in VT. We’ll be hiking in in a snowstorm this year (6-8 inches). Staying through Monday, and have to pack in all food and beverages. I picked up a 6 pack of local double bock, a 6 pack of Radeberger, some ciders, several small boxes of wine, and a little bottle of Jameson’s. That’s basically all the room in my pack! I have some hard sci-fi/space opera (all from Banks culture series)to bide the time. If you never hear from me again I’ve been buried in an avalanche, succumbed to the diet of cured meats, hard cheese, and alcohol, or decided to just cash out of modern life and live out my days on the side on the side of a mountain disconnected from the rest of the world. Enjoy yourselves and behave while I’m gone!

Reactions: 3 users
Wow- no updates to this thread in the past month. You all been working too hard!

I’m off tomorrow with Mrs. ClinicalABA for our annual late winter backpacking trip to a primitive cabin in VT. We’ll be hiking in in a snowstorm this year (6-8 inches). Staying through Monday, and have to pack in all food and beverages. I picked up a 6 pack of local double bock, a 6 pack of Radeberger, some ciders, several small boxes of wine, and a little bottle of Jameson’s. That’s basically all the room in my pack! I have some hard sci-fi/space opera (all from Banks culture series)to bide the time. If you never hear from me again I’ve been buried in an avalanche, succumbed to the diet of cured meats, hard cheese, and alcohol, or decided to just cash out of modern life and live out my days on the side on the side of a mountain disconnected from the rest of the world. Enjoy yourselves and behave while I’m gone!

Yeah, no thanks. I've been sick and then my dog got sick, so lame weekends. My plans got cancelled for this weekend, but I have a lot of stuff to catch up on around the house. Heading south to the warm sunny stuff next week with the wife and some friends though (assuming Southwest has a functioning plane for me).

I was banking on Yale to be a Cinderella for two rounds. Nope. Otherwise I'm pretty content with how it's gone. No surprise to see Murray State putting Marquette in their place during the first.
Yeah- Murray state winning is an upset on paper only (though I did pick Marquette). To be honest, I’m more interested in the Hockey East tournament this weekend, an d may be hiking to the top of a mountain to get a signal to check results.

Yeah, no thanks. I've been sick and then my dog got sick, so lame weekends. My plans got cancelled for this weekend, but I have a lot of stuff to catch up on around the house. Heading south to the warm sunny stuff next week with the wife and some friends though (assuming Southwest has a functioning plane for me).
Bummer. We’re leaving the kids (teenagers) home alone, so there’s probably a party at my place if you’re feeling better;)