ClinicalABA

7+ Year Member
Aug 31, 2011
New England
Status
Psychologist
Agreed. They're a favorite of mine and one of the reasons I keep so many whiskeys/ryes around.

I'm off tonight to socialize a bit with a bunch of other junior faculty. Likely a beverage will be imbued as well.
Just picked up bottle of German Marzen Oktoberfest (Ayinger), and a six of local-ish version (Jacks Abbey). Bringing my baby girl on her first college tours tomorrow (Tufts and BU- any thoughts?), and it’s kinda freakin’ me out!

Reactions: Sanman and PSYDR

MAClinician

Masters level clinician
2+ Year Member
Mar 19, 2016
Status
Non-Student
Tufts and BU, both expensive! BU closer to T to get around Boston though. Have fun on the college tours :)

OP
PSYDR

PSYDR

Psychologist
10+ Year Member
Dec 18, 2005
Status
Just picked up bottle of German Marzen Oktoberfest (Ayinger), and a six of local-ish version (Jacks Abbey). Bringing my baby girl on her first college tours tomorrow (Tufts and BU- any thoughts?), and it’s kinda freakin’ me out!
I’m sorry you’ve raised your child in such a way to expose her to Ref Sox fans.

OP
PSYDR

PSYDR

Psychologist
10+ Year Member
Dec 18, 2005
Status
Hah! At least she’s not looking at Penn or Temple!

Like 37% sure that penn is the location of the first psychology clinic in the USA....

But congrats. Those are all impressive schools.

Sanman

O.G.
15+ Year Member
Sep 1, 2000
Dreaming of Margaritaville
www.-----.com
Status
Psychologist
My advice, being a 12-pack to Boston to drink before you read the brochure and see the tuition they are asking for the incoming class. Red Sox and Patriots fans aside, I do miss Boston. I experienced it the best way possible, by visiting friends that attended BU and crashing at their place.

ClinicalABA

7+ Year Member
Aug 31, 2011
New England
Status
Psychologist
My advice, being a 12-pack to Boston to drink before you read the brochure and see the tuition they are asking for the incoming class. Red Sox and Patriots fans aside, I do miss Boston. I experienced it the best way possible, by visiting friends that attended BU and crashing at their place.
It’s all so expensive. She’s also going to consider UMass (my alma mater, both undergrad and grad), which is somewhat cheaper. She’s funny- she’ll waiver between being verve practical about it (“UMass has as good undergrad psych and pre-med as some of these smaller more expensive places”) and pretty crazy (“I want to go to some that school in Saratoga because there’s a restaurant in town that supposedly has really good Mac-n-cheese)! I experienced Boston the same way as you- visiting friends at Northeastern or grad school classmates who lived there for practica and commuted back to Amherst a few days per week for classes and meetings. I’m so not a city-living type of guy.

cara susanna

10+ Year Member
Feb 10, 2008
Midwest
Status
Psychologist
Sep 15, 2018
"Narcissism and self-deception are survival mechanisms without which many of us might just jump off a bridge.” —-
Todd Solondz

Via some person ;)

foreverbull

2+ Year Member
Sep 8, 2015
Yeah, there will be nor more actual discussion on that one. It will just be sh!tposted into oblivion there.
It went straight down a “liberals suck” rabbit hole in spectacular form. Jon Snow joined them in his criticism of our forum.

WisNeuro

Board Certified Neuropsychologist
10+ Year Member
Feb 15, 2009
Somewhere
Status
Psychologist
Yeah, I didn't even bother to look, I assume things haven't changed much at all since I last ventured in there. Is that Nazi dude still hanging around there? I imagine he'd have a lot to say about that thread.

foreverbull

2+ Year Member
Sep 8, 2015
Yeah, I didn't even bother to look, I assume things haven't changed much at all since I last ventured in there. Is that Nazi dude still hanging around there? I imagine he'd have a lot to say about that thread.
I’m not sure; I only briefly looked through the one-liners that folks were putting out without any substance and then stopped reading.

I could’ve sworn that someone in our forum mentioned that things were less extreme in the medical threads, but I’m not sure if that was sarcasm, because so far that has been the exact opposite of what I’ve seen in the SPF and the LGBT issues in medicine forum.

WisNeuro

10+ Year Member
Feb 15, 2009
Somewhere
Status
Psychologist
I’m not sure; I only briefly looked through the one-liners that folks were putting out without any substance and then stopped reading.

I could’ve sworn that someone in our forum mentioned that things were less extreme in the medical threads, but I’m not sure if that was sarcasm, because so far that has been the exact opposite of what I’ve seen in the SPF and the LGBT issues in medicine forum.
Yeah, it's pretty bad. It's pretty much just a youtube message board with slightly better grammar.

cara susanna

10+ Year Member
Feb 10, 2008
Midwest
Status
Psychologist

I feel like people who say that haven't actually spent much time in the medical forums.

Pragma

Neuropsychologist
7+ Year Member
Dec 29, 2011
Status
Psychologist
It was inevitable. While I do view psychology as generally an echo chamber from a political standpoint, at least people have some degree of civility in discussion most of the time. Disagreements don't always get as externally heated as they do in the rest of society. But there are offenders on both sides of the aisle anyhow.

WisNeuro

10+ Year Member
Feb 15, 2009
Somewhere
Status
Psychologist
I think I got turned off from JW back in grad school due to JW Red. Yech. Haven't tried the others, but do have plenty of mid to high grade stuff that I love now that affordability is no longer a big concern.

Pragma

Neuropsychologist
7+ Year Member
Dec 29, 2011
Status
Psychologist
I think I got turned off from JW back in grad school due to JW Red. Yech. Haven't tried the others, but do have plenty of mid to high grade stuff that I love now that affordability is no longer a big concern.
Not the red!

WisNeuro

10+ Year Member
Feb 15, 2009
Somewhere
Status
Psychologist
It was grad school, we drank what we could afford. You don't get through without loans without making some hard sacrifices!

Pragma

Neuropsychologist
7+ Year Member
Dec 29, 2011
Status
Psychologist
It was grad school, we drank what we could afford. You don't get through without loans without making some hard sacrifices!
I kid. I was guilty of drinking the red myself. Maybe that is why I don't drink scotch much anymore.

WisNeuro

10+ Year Member
Feb 15, 2009
Somewhere
Status
Psychologist
I kid. I was guilty of drinking the red myself. Maybe that is why I don't drink scotch much anymore.
Yeah, if that was what most scotch tasted like, I never would have picked up the habit. Try some Highland Park 18, Glendronach 18, or some Balvenie 14 Caribbean cask. Might change your mind.

Therapist4Chnge

Neuropsych Ninja Faculty
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Oct 7, 2006
The Beach
Status
Psychologist
Yeah, if that was what most scotch tasted like, I never would have picked up the habit. Try some Highland Park 18, Glendronach 18, or some Balvenie 14 Caribbean cask. Might change your mind.
I don’t drink much, but when I do it is mostly bourbon with some scotch and Japanese whiskey sprinkled in. Woodford Reserve is now my well at home and it goes up from there. :laugh: For scotch it’s usually Oban 14 or 18, though I usually keep some Highland Park 18 for a change of pace. I’m still working my way through Japanese whiskeys, so I don’t really have a “go to” yet. It’s on my 2019 To Do list. :D

WisNeuro

10+ Year Member
Feb 15, 2009
Somewhere
Status
Psychologist
I don’t drink much, but when I do it is mostly bourbon with some scotch and Japanese whiskey sprinkled in. Woodford Reserve is now my well at home and it goes up from there. :laugh: For scotch it’s usually Oban 14 or 18, though I usually keep some Highland Park 18 for a change of pace. I’m still working my way through Japanese whiskeys, so I don’t really have a “go to” yet. It’s on my 2019 To Do list. :D
I'm wary of Japanese Whiskey. The shortage over there has elevated some prices well above their taste and worth. Still some value to be had, but a lot of ripoffs there too.

Therapist4Chnge

Neuropsych Ninja Faculty
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Oct 7, 2006
The Beach
Status
Psychologist
I'm wary of Japanese Whiskey. The shortage over there has elevated some prices well above their taste and worth. Still some value to be had, but a lot of ripoffs there too.
Agreed. Some prices have doubled+ in the past 5yrs...which is nuts. My shirt guy back in the day turned me on to them. I'd swing through NYC for a long weekend and always leave with at least one new option to add to my collection. I appreciate that Japanese whisky is generally more delicate and you are never really going to get a mouthful of peat, but I'm much less likely to blind buy bottles now.

Justanothergrad

Counseling Psychologist
5+ Year Member
Mar 2, 2013
Agreed. Some prices have doubled+ in the past 5yrs...which is nuts. My shirt guy back in the day turned me on to them. I'd swing through NYC for a long weekend and always leave with at least one new option to add to my collection. I appreciate that Japanese whisky is generally more delicate and you are never really going to get a mouthful of peat, but I'm much less likely to blind buy bottles now.
They're definitely more delicate but often they're also missing a certain something to me. They tend to be better in terms of smoothness and ease of drinking in general (gotta love the Japanese for their focus on perfection) but sometimes it's hard to pull the nicer ones apart. A the price hikes have been frustrating. Then there are nights when I want, for lack of a better term, a nice "cowboy whiskey". Highwest does a good job filling that void for me.

I've been pretty amazed watching how prices have soared in response to popularity for rye and whiskey in general. There is a breaking point and after a certain point I don't find the quality going up nearly as much. There are so many great bottles of whiskey for 50 or under now trying to break into the market. I enjoy more expensive bottles as well, but I seldom rely as my regulars.

WisNeuro

10+ Year Member
Feb 15, 2009
Somewhere
Status
Psychologist
Friday, finally. Probably going to leave early today unless there are any inpatient consults in the next couple hours. Volleyball, gym, and building a new mash tun this weekend.

OP
PSYDR

PSYDR

Psychologist
10+ Year Member
Dec 18, 2005
Status
Been working waaay too hard. Gonna round at the hospital and then minimally work from home.

WisNeuro

10+ Year Member
Feb 15, 2009
Somewhere
Status
Psychologist
Whew, for the first time in about 2 years I need to use some time on the weekend to catch up on work. Although that's more because I left work early twice this week. Oh well. Other than that, need to do some yard work, try out a new brewery, go visit my brewery, and some gym time. what are y'all up to?

Reactions: PSYDR

Therapist4Chnge

Neuropsych Ninja Faculty
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Oct 7, 2006
The Beach
Status
Psychologist
Writing reports. I’m going to leave around 3:30 to go to the DMV...lovely. I’ll probably download the next episode of “Bodyguard” and watch while I wait. Great start to the series and pretty good so far.

AbnormalPsych

Clinical Psychologist
2+ Year Member
Dec 8, 2014
Status
Psychologist
Since I left VA I no longer work Fridays. My weekends are so much more enjoyable. Some gym time, a friend's birthday dinner, a few drinks, watching college football tomorrow, and maybe a little work on the side private practice I am starting up.

Reactions: PSYDR

ClinicalABA

7+ Year Member
Aug 31, 2011
New England
Status
Psychologist
There's an open house in the psychology labs at my graduate program (which is also my undergrad alma mater, and is only 10 miles from home). I'm very interested to check out the changes since I've left- the clinical program switched from a scientist-practitioner to a clinical-science model, and the whole psych department was moved to the college of natural sciences (from social and behavioral sciences).

Other than that, correcting some papers, going to a fundraiser trivia night, playing ice hockey, and doing some running (I registered for 5k in beginning of December and I'm currently more in "take up a bunch of space on the ice in front of the net" shape than "purposely propel yourself forward for periods of time" shape. I'd be happy to break 40 minutes for 5k at this point!

Reactions: biscuitsbiscuits

medium rare

Psychologist & Psych NP
10+ Year Member
Jan 13, 2009
Status
Psychologist
Friday and twelve patients. The end of a long, 62 patient week left me ready for a double Maker’s neat and the next episode of AHS: Apocalypse.

MamaPhD

Psychologist, Academic Medical Center
7+ Year Member
Aug 2, 2010
Status
Psychologist
I'm very interested to check out the changes since I've left- the clinical program switched from a scientist-practitioner to a clinical-science model, and the whole psych department was moved to the college of natural sciences (from social and behavioral sciences).
I just chuckled at this. I mean, local context is everything, but from the outside this is an eye-roller.

Reactions: medium rare

ClinicalABA

7+ Year Member
Aug 31, 2011
New England
Status
Psychologist
I just chuckled at this. I mean, local context is everything, but from the outside this is an eye-roller.
Yeah- I’m not totally sure of the reasons behind the move. It may better reflect the nature of the research of the department as a whole, but I suspect that there may have been more political reasons.

Within the clinical department, the biggest change is that they stress that the goal is to prepare researchers and academics, rather than clinicians. Otherwise, curriculum still seems relatively the same and in line with licensure standards.

OP
PSYDR

PSYDR

Psychologist
10+ Year Member
Dec 18, 2005
Status
Friday and twelve patients. The end of a long, 62 patient week left me ready for a double Maker’s neat and the next episode of AHS: Apocalypse.
That’s the work ethic I’m talking about!

Rough week, this week. Gym and rye tonight. Fancy business dinner this Saturday.

Reactions: medium rare

WisNeuro

10+ Year Member
Feb 15, 2009
Somewhere
Status
Psychologist
That’s the work ethic I’m talking about!

Rough week, this week. Gym and rye tonight. Fancy business dinner this Saturday.
Meh, long weeks are overrated. I'll keep my 30 hour weeks and focus on building passive income. Having a physician partner and having 0 debt definitely helps.

Volleyball this evening, followed by wine and such after with the team. I need snow tires, and maybe some war board gaming this weekend along with a few gym trips.

Reactions: Therapist4Chnge