Friday thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Vacation time. Whatever happened to analysts taking the month of august off? We need to bring that back.
The analysts I know still take August off. Sweet gig.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Because that's what Europeans do?

Throwback to what the Germans/Austrians do. Because imitation of Freud is great. Except for his suicide.

Also the fact that Manhattan in the summers is a swampy hell, where idiots didn’t somehow believe that air conditioning is necessary until like the 1990s.

And the fact that Mrs. Astor declared the city was too hot, so she began summering with the “400” in her “cottage” in Rhode Island. So you know, everyone who was anyone needed to summer too. Which meant your wealthy patients were gone. Can’t afford Rhode Island? The cape is right there.

And the fact that Mrs. Astor declared the city was too hot, so she began summering with the “400” in her “cottage” in Rhode Island. So you know, everyone who was anyone needed to summer too. Which meant your wealthy patients were gone. Can’t afford Rhode Island? The cape is right there.
Growing up, we Summered in the Berkshires (also Springed, Autumned, and Wintered there too). Now I spend my Summer in the Hamptons (probably not the same ones your thinking of). Must have been because we were from “new money”

Growing up, we Summered in the Berkshires (also Springed, Autumned, and Wintered there too). Now I spend my Summer in the Hamptons (probably not the same ones your thinking of). Must have been because we were from “new money”

So fancy... I enjoyed the Red Lion Inn in Stockbridge, MA the few times I was up there. One of the reasons I wouldn't mind a job at Austen Riggs.

I spent some summers and school breaks here (the “Frothingham Place”, aka Overlee). It had become a residential school for kids with a much too wide variety of significant mental illness. It was a pretty miserable place in the summer- those third floor windows you see in the postcard were (are?) bedrooms, and there was no AC, so it was sweltering. It’s a bit different experience then Austen Riggs. The Berkshires is full of these old mansions that have been turned into mental health or special education programs.

Growing up I summered at grey gardens while Mrs havisham berated me. Which isn’t too far from the truth.

Once again this thread has been quiet for awhile. Hopefully you students out there get some respite over the next month or so before classes start up or before you have to trek off to internship somewhere far away! And I hope the rest of you are too busy playing to post about your weekend adventures.

I have a weekend of awesome music planned. Mini Vacation with wife to see the Pretenders on Friday night. Back home to see Dinosaur Jr. Sunday evening at an amphitheater that is literally a short walk down the street (and where I just saw Blues Traveler, MOE., and G-Love last week). I’m pretty sure I won’t be able to hear any of my clients on Monday!

Weekend away with the wife at a fancy hotel for the anniversary. Good luck with the camping @WisNeuro. Better you than me!

Members don't see this ad :)
This has been the summer of never-ending weddings, milestone birthdays, and a move. I'll be happy when I can just go to the beach and think about nothing.

SOOO ready for the weekend. On my drive home...I got a piece of medal lodged into my tire. I just replaced the other rear tire a couple of weeks ago. Hopefully I can get it replaced under the tire warranty coverage. TBD. I'll probably work 3-4hr on Sunday. I have a few reports that I really should get done and not wait until next week. Lovely.

SOOO ready for the weekend. On my drive home...I got a piece of medal lodged into my tire. I just replaced the other rear tire a couple of weeks ago. Hopefully I can get it replaced under the tire warranty coverage. TBD. I'll probably work 3-4hr on Sunday. I have a few reports that I really should get done and not wait until next week. Lovely.
You better crack out the bourbon...

Reactions: 2 users
Tonight: steak night with friends.
Tomorrow: long run, writing, working, and then who knows.

Reactions: 1 users
Burgers with wife tonight, baseball game tomorrow, dinner with friends Sunday. I also really need to do some housework at some point. Why did I buy a house again?

Why did I buy a house again?
So you could "stop wasting money on rent"?

Parents are in town this weekend, so I'm shoving fistfuls of TUMS in my pocket to survive the effects of the inevitable winery touring.

So you could "stop wasting money on rent"?

Parents are in town this weekend, so I'm shoving fistfuls of TUMS in my pocket to survive the effects of the inevitable winery touring.

Nothing like home ownership to appreciate "wasting money" on rent.

I would be thrilled if I could get my in-laws to do that. My mother-in-law constantly wants to go shopping at the nearby outlet stores every time she comes over. Meanwhile, my father-in-law always wants to fix something that no one asks him to fix so he doesn't have to go to said outlet stores. Hence, I have to supply my own wine and TUMS.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Chaperoning a group of my daughters friends at our camp in Northern NH. Big birthday this past week and wife got me a new 10 foot 7 weight, so there will be some bass in the future (after some trout fishing in the Androscoggin first). Complemented by some good local Kolsch and Kellerbiers.

Don't work Fridays and its glorious. I have been waiting for this weekend for awhile. College football is here. Hibernating at home with some games on, lots of snacks, and maybe some BBQ and drinks tonight.

Reactions: 2 users
Packing up the first born and dropping her off for her freshman year at college tomorrow morning! She wants to major in psych and, while I’m flattered, that makes me a little nervous having read all your (and my own!) posts about this field.

Then I’m headed up north to NH with a buddy for some trout fishing, county fair going, bourbon drinking, and board game playing (not necessarily in that order). We’d traditionally play Battlestar Galactica on this trip, but our other buddy is dropping off his daughter at college and can’t make it. We’re going to give Arkham Horror another go. It typically gets a little too complicated and comical the more bourbon we drink and we’ve yet to really finish a game.

Packing up the first born and dropping her off for her freshman year at college tomorrow morning! She wants to major in psych and, while I’m flattered, that makes me a little nervous having read all your (and my own!) posts about this field.

Then I’m headed up north to NH with a buddy for some trout fishing, county fair going, bourbon drinking, and board game playing (not necessarily in that order). We’d traditionally play Battlestar Galactica on this trip, but our other buddy is dropping off his daughter at college and can’t make it. We’re going to give Arkham Horror another go. It typically gets a little too complicated and comical the more bourbon we drink and we’ve yet to really finish a game.
I can't tell you how sad I am that I never picked up Battlestar Galactica before it went out of print and I refuse to pay the insane prices you see for it. .

I have to work at least one day this long weekend bc i’ve gotten behind in my paperwork. Ugh. A few rescheduled neuropsychs (on top of normal weekly ones) and STAT consults blew up my last two weeks.

In better news, I have some of my outdoor furniture up, so hopefully i’ll be able to do some of the work in a hammock and zero gravity chair. I still need to pick up a new grill (maybe combo smoker), so that at least will be fun.

@Sanman because you asked in another thread- no rye this weekend. Just picked up a bottle of larceny bourbon for some sours or mules. Also a six of Copper Legend Oktoberfest from Jacks Abbey. What are you drinking this weekend?

Love a good sour and mule.

I'm moving this weekend. So I'm bribing my friends with whatever they want for dinner and booze. It's going to be a surprise.

@Sanman because you asked in another thread- no rye this weekend. Just picked up a bottle of larceny bourbon for some sours or mules. Also a six of Copper Legend Oktoberfest from Jacks Abbey. What are you drinking this weekend?

Eww Bourbon Mules? I'm a traditionalist with Mules, Vodka is the only allowable spirit there.

Angel's Envy....solid choice!

The owner and wife (and whole family) are friends of ours for 6+ years now. Upstanding members of the St. Margaret Mary community here.

The owner and wife (and whole family) are friends of ours for 6+ years now. Upstanding members of the St. Margaret Mary community here.
Very cool!

Angel’s Envy and Woodford Reserve are my two staples. I always keep a bottle of Bullit for ppl who ask for Jack. Everything else is in the back.

Anyone have a good feel for Indian Whiskey? I’ve had a few different offerings over the past few years from Amrut, with their single barrel being the most notable. Pretty good. I haven’t looked hard for a bottle, but they seem harder to find.

Last edited:

Just came back from a week's vacation. Had a really good old fashioned with a Michter's Rye and also some Sagamore Cask Strength Rye, hit some nice steakhouses while visiting friends. Now that I am back at work and my pockets are empty, perhaps something out of my liquor cabinet tonight. I know the wife will be having dirty martinis (her favorite) with one of our good friends tomorrow for a birthday celebration, so I may be a bit limited as someone has to drive home.

Very cool!

Angel’s Envy and Woodford Reserve are my two staples. I always keep a bottle of Bullit for ppl who ask for Jack.

Woodford Reseve is quickly becoming a favorite of mine as well.

Just came back from a week's vacation. Had a really good old fashioned with a Michter's Rye and also some Sagamore Cask Strength Rye, hit some nice steakhouses while visiting friends. Now that I am back at work and my pockets are empty, perhaps something out of my liquor cabinet tonight. I know the wife will be having dirty martinis (her favorite) with one of our good friends tomorrow for a birthday celebration, so I may be a bit limited as someone has to drive home.
I did the Sagamore tour and cocktail making a few weeks back, definitely worth check out for anyone stopping in B’more for the weekend. Nice staff too.

The restaurant adjacent to the distillery has very good food and on nice days is a great place to enjoy a cocktail or two. The seafood tower is a great split btw 3-4 ppl. The fried chicken was excellent and the Hawaiian rolls were heavenly.

Woodford Reseve is quickly becoming a favorite of mine as well.

Once a bourbon get above $50 for 350ML, there is so much loss on ROI, its ridiculous (although I think many are prob at least 10% cheaper here).

I live here, and could drink WR every time and not really feel left out of the experience. Four Roses small batch is also great for the price point. I think there is bit too much "hype" about most other bourbons.

Last edited:
I did the Sagamore tour and cocktail making a few weeks back, definitely worth check out for anyone stopping in B’more for the weekend. Nice staff too.

The restaurant adjacent to the distillery has very good food and on nice days is a great place to enjoy a cocktail or two. The seafood tower is a great split btw 3-4 ppl. The fried chicken was excellent and the Hawaiian rolls were heavenly.

I see this in my future, thanks for the tips (and causing me to be a slightly poorer and inebriated)

Eww Bourbon Mules? I'm a traditionalist with Mules, Vodka is the only allowable spirit there.
Kentucky mules. You have to think of it as a totally different drink. Not as good as the Moscow ones. For vodka, I buy the giant bottle of French Vodka at Costco- 19.99. Easily as good as Tito’s, and rumour has it it’s from the Grey Goose distillery.

Last edited:
I see this in my future, thanks for the tips (and causing me to be a slightly poorer and inebriated)
The restaurant (Rye Street Tavern) and distillery are right on the water (Pataspco River), so it’s a great spot to spent a couple hours when it is nice out. They make proper cocktails too. I haven’t tried the upstairs cocktail bar, but the downstairs is good. Their whiskey/bourbon pricing was a few bucks on the high side, so ordering one of their signature cocktails is probably the better option. Service can be slow if they are busy, so plan on relaxing and enjoying a cocktail and apps.