Friday thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
This is my first weekend I'm not traveling for fun or networking for work (golfing/dinners) in a month. I need to go furniture shopping for a futon/sleeper sofa, night stands for 2 bedrooms, and possibly a desk for my home office. I also need to find a cover for a chaise lounge chair....or replace it totally. I should probably just start lighting $100 bills on fire.

There is a Pointy Ball game on Sunday, so I need to decide where I'm headed. A few invites, but I'll probably go to the gathering where they are doing betting squares bc I don't really care who wins. I'd like Reid to get a SB ring as a head coach, so I guess I'm leaning towards the Chiefs.

Members don't see this ad.

Guess my Friday night has actually involved bourbon, blues, and pledging for a new board game on Kickstarter - Return to Dark Tower. This thing looks amazing. I hesitated as long as I could but... I couldn't stop myself from pulling that trigger.

Guess my Friday night has actually involved bourbon, blues, and pledging for a new board game on Kickstarter - Return to Dark Tower. This thing looks amazing. I hesitated as long as I could but... I couldn't stop myself from pulling that trigger.
Looks pretty cool. I remember the original- never played, but the ads were awesome and we all wanted it so badly. I think it was expensive. Just looked it up and apparently Milton Bradley was sued and lost regarding “stealing” the concept, so it had a very limited run.

Members don't see this ad :)
Looks pretty cool. I remember the original- never played, but the ads were awesome and we all wanted it so badly. I think it was expensive. Just looked it up and apparently Milton Bradley was sued and lost regarding “stealing” the concept, so it had a very limited run.
Had no idea they lost on that. I bet thats one of the reasons RG could get it cheap.

Was out with flu for week and a half. Did a weeks worth of assessments in last two days, including 3 sets of siblings (for whom I try to do the evaluation concurrently). Basically, an office full of toddlers for six+ hours straight, two days in a row. Really fun, but mentally and physically exhausted. I get sick days, but still have to make up the work and it’s tricky to fit reschedules into an assessment calendar that’s booked at ~125% through August.

Wrote some reports this morning, then lunch with wife. I’m now going to settle into some video gaming. More reports in between house cleaning and hockey watching/playing this weekend.

Was out with flu for week and a half.

Seems it's been a bad flu season, at least out west. Somehow I've avoided being sick despite about three weeks of my kids passing back and forth the common, and terrible sounding & looking, Hand-Foot-and-Mouth disease. I was nearly bathing in hand sanitizer so that I wouldn't show up on the first day of class last week looking like I had chickenpox. Thankfully, it looks like it's passed.

weekend plans: build a shed, go to the park, watch a movie, play some video games

Seems it's been a bad flu season, at least out west. Somehow I've avoided being sick despite about three weeks of my kids passing back and forth the common, and terrible sounding & looking, Hand-Foot-and-Mouth disease. I was nearly bathing in hand sanitizer so that I wouldn't show up on the first day of class last week looking like I had chickenpox. Thankfully, it looks like it's passed.

weekend plans: build a shed, go to the park, watch a movie, play some video games

Flu has been rampant up hear. You have ambitious plans- I took a whole week off last summer to build a shed!

Reactions: 1 user
Gym and takeout tonight. Weekend plans include getting everything together for license renewal and finishing up any CE credits I need. This will be accompanied by wine or bourbon...depending on how bored I get.

Members don't see this ad :)
And good beyond description...
I went to Vanderbilt. I know Nashville Hot Chicken, lol

Good sir or madam, I would respectfully contend that while you may know “Nashville” and “hot”, you do not know CHICKEN. Pistols at dawn. After coffee.

(I actually struggle with eating beef after I learned cows have best friends.)

Good sir or madam, I would respectfully contend that while you may know “Nashville” and “hot”, you do not know CHICKEN. Pistols at dawn. After coffee.

(I actually struggle with eating beef after I learned cows have best friends.)
Deal. And I’ll have almond milk in my coffee.

200% of billable requirement done this week (so far!). College hockey away game tonight in beautiful ;) Hartford, preceded by some beer and barbecue. 8 hour full day lecture tomorrow. Gotta pay that college tuition somehow!

I really hope that you are paid based on production and not flat salary. How low are these requirements anyway? Enjoy Hartford, going to Black Eyed Sallys before the game or somewhere else?

This will be an 7 day work week for me. Which is cool because I get to work 7 days next week too. But then I have the 14th off. Maybe.

This will be an 7 day work week for me. Which is cool because I get to work 7 days next week too. But then I have the 14th off. Maybe.

Weren't you working last weekend too? Dude you need a drink and a steak.

Last edited:
I really hope that you are paid based on production and not flat salary. How low are these requirements anyway? Enjoy Hartford, going to Black Eyed Sallys before the game or somewhere else?
I have a good base salary, with a great bonus structure, based on quarterly productivity (so I could basically not show up to work next week and still be ok). Diminishing returns after ~135%, so i keep an eye on that.

Going to Bear's Smokehouse downtown before UMass v. UConn at the Civic Center (or whatever they call it nowadays. That city is a ghost town after 5pm.

Working and traveling today. Scheduled to work 13hrs Saturday. 3hrs Sunday, then travel home.

the fantasy is maybe brunch Sunday or a nice dinner or something . The reality is me eating a steak and having 3 old fashioneds on Saturday, and then feeling tired Sunday.

Reactions: 1 users
On deadline again, ugh. I accepted another record review w/o a firm deadline, got a few more in, and now I'm trying to wrap them up bc dates changed...etc. Future me will be happy w the extra $, but current me is a bit stressed. I like to reframe it as "extra motivated!" :laugh:

Working and traveling today. Scheduled to work 13hrs Saturday. 3hrs Sunday, then travel home.

the fantasy is maybe brunch Sunday or a nice dinner or something . The reality is me eating a steak and having 3 old fashioneds on Saturday, and then feeling tired Sunday.
The steak and old fashioned is basically my goal for Sat. Solid choices.

I gave up cheap liquor, can't I keep my recovery at least :(

On that note, off to happy hour.

Look at it this way, after you develop a taste for the good stuff, losing your tolerance/recovery for it means more money in your pocket. I'm a much cheaper date now!

Look at it this way, after you develop a taste for the good stuff, losing your tolerance/recovery for it means more money in your pocket. I'm a much cheaper date now!

Not so much for me. Defnitely drink far less in volume than I did in my 20's, but what I drink is far more expensive that it more than makes up for it.

@Sanman They serve booze at your assisted living facility?!

Actually, they have a happy hour at a lot the higher end facilities. Who is paying $6-9k/month and not getting some free booze?!?

Everything cancelled so I'll be hunkered down with the family this weekend. Hoping to play so games to help get prepared for the months ahead. It's probably a little late for "pandemic" to be of much use, but I'm thinking some Last Night on Earth or Dead of Winter might be of some value.

Everything cancelled so I'll be hunkered down with the family this weekend. Hoping to play so games to help get prepared for the months ahead. It's probably a little late for "pandemic" to be of much use, but I'm thinking some Last Night on Earth or Dead of Winter might be of some value.

Depending on how many family members, Legacy version of House on the Hill? If you have a very nerdy, history-loving family member, couple games of Twilight Struggle?

Depending on how many family members, Legacy version of House on the Hill? If you have a very nerdy, history-loving family member, couple games of Twilight Struggle?
For those who are into RPGs, there's an updated graphics version of Planescape: Torment (highly rated game from back in the day) available on Steam right now.

As an aside, just got email from VA admin 'asking' for (wait for it...) what they refer to as 'Mandatory Volunteers' to work shifts at the gates of the facility to screen people coming into the facility for coronavirus (via questions). One psychologist has already pointed out that mandatory volunteerism is quite an oxymoronic turn of phrase and logic even for VA admin and now everyone is scrambling to discern whether participation is indeed voluntary or required, lol. The original email of course contradicts itself by saying it's voluntary in one section then saying it's mandatory for non-union folks.

Ah, the good ol VA. Also, I'm not confident that certain groups would be honest about symptoms either way. Even if that group is <1%, still a huge impact on spread. We really need to be adopting mandatory temp checks to at least identify mildly symptomatic people.

Ah, the good ol VA. Also, I'm not confident that certain groups would be honest about symptoms either way. Even if that group is <1%, still a huge impact on spread. We really need to be adopting mandatory temp checks to at least identify mildly symptomatic people.
The collisions to occur between VA Admin control-freak practices with the incipient Coronapocalypse will be something to behold.

The collisions to occur between VA Admin control-freak practices with the incipient Coronapocalypse will be something to behold.

Especially when we reach the level Italy is at where providers have to choose who gets ventilators and who likely has to die without critical care treatment.

Yup, we're being asked to call patients to ask if they want to push back their appts or have their appt via video or phone instead. So that's what I'm doing in between appts today, haha. We've also cancelled some of our groups.

Yup, we're being asked to call patients to ask if they want to push back their appts or have their appt via video or phone instead. So that's what I'm doing in between appts today, haha. We've also cancelled some of our groups.
We just got email to prepare to fill out HR paperwork on short notice so we can telework from home. Of course, they say it's only in the 'unlikely event' that we need to implement it (lol) but, trust me, it's happening in the next two weeks, probably early next week. You can see the cascade across society of things shutting down and events being canceled (they have even created the catchy phrase/ concept 'social distancing' (no doubt the PR/ branding experts are hard at work) to describe it.

We just got email to prepare to fill out HR paperwork on short notice so we can telework from home. Of course, they say it's only in the 'unlikely event' that we need to implement it (lol) but, trust me, it's happening in the next two weeks, probably early next week. You can see the cascade across society of things shutting down and events being canceled (they have even created the catchy phrase/ concept 'social distancing' (no doubt the PR/ branding experts are hard at work) to describe it.

I'm a convert to the "needing to get **** implemented NOW" crowd. We saw what happened in Italy when they failed to act. We'll be there within 4 weeks here. We need to be shutting things down yesterday. Non-urgent or non-emergent appointments should be canceled. Elective surgeries postponed. Inpatient units should be readied for an influx of critical care patients, and some wards should be converted to isolation areas for those who need acute medical care, but not necessarily critical vent care. We won't do this, of course, But, maybe we'll learn for when this happens again in the future. But, knowing people in this country, that is unlikely.

Reactions: 3 users