Friday thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Finished with patients for the day so now I'm anxiously refreshing 538 and election twitter.

538 is by far my preferred source. It's been almost physically painful when more than 20 mins go by without an update.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
I know it's not Friday, but I just scored a 12-year-old barrel pick of Elijah Craig for $28! Can't wait for my cold to dissapate so I can taste it. I also got some glencairns, so I can be extra fancy.

Members don't see this ad :)
Happy Friday the 13th!

Also happy "I am done with reading and rating internship applications" day! Now someone point me to the bar and tell me when it is 4:30.

Reactions: 1 user
My Friday the 13th update: I received notice that my short term disability insurance no longer covers "active participation in a riot."

Wonder where that came from.

Edit: What is passive participation in a riot?

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

When you leave your house to go to the store, take a wrong turn, and end up in a riot accidentally?

" I just wanted some Slim Jims and a Coke!"

My Friday the 13th update: I received notice that my short term disability insurance no longer covers "active participation in a riot."

Wonder where that came from.

What if you are injured in a protest? Seems like the language could be problematic there.

I know it's way too early to tell people, but my wife just had two positive pregnancy tests. Looks like my boy is getting a sibling!

• Love
Reactions: 14 users
Enjoying the TSLA run this week. :clap:

Mostly a VTSAX'er, but there are a few fun money stocks in my portfolio. Couldn't resist this one awhile back.
Curious why a total stock market fund vs something like VFINX?

Members don't see this ad :)
Currently enjoying a glass of Troegs Brewery (Hershey, PA) Mad Elf. Ale brewed with honey and cherries, 11% ABV. Find it if you can. I'm enjoying it with some just delivered dolomakia and kefte kebab souvlaki.

My friend recently got me hooked on Fernet, so I'll likely open that in a few hours.

Lillet blanc, wine, country club, repositioning stocks, dates, and your mom

Last edited:
Trivia w. friends (zoom) tonight, then tomorrow I'll probably setup golf netting to work on my swing. Sunday I'll be working a few hours to a 1/2 day. I want to get a jump on my week next week, so I can leave in the early afternoon on Wed and not think about any work stuff for 4+ days.

It's no longer Friday, but I just submitted my last application!!! Excited to celebrate and take a breath before the stress of waiting for results.

Reactions: 3 users
I've decided that I am declaring a new law of mental healthcare*: the more time and effort you spend preparing for an appt, the more likely it is that the patient will cancel or not show.

*maybe it's general healthcare too, I don't know

Reactions: 4 users
It seems like Friday.... Happy safe, enjoyable Turkey Day, SDN!

Who's cooking? (I am...starting in about 4 hours!)

Betty Boop Dance GIF by Fleischer Studios

Reactions: 5 users
Thank goodness it’s fake-Friday. T-minus 4 hours til day-drinking begins.

This will be a Napa-focused week. I’ve got bottles of Caymus, Silver Oak and Joseph Phelps with my name on them.

Also loving the mint-lime San Pellegrino for cocktail or mocktail mixing; Quite versatile. Add cranberry. Add chili (or smoked chili). Add muddled sour cherries. Add Pom. Add pineapple. Add cucumber. Add grapefruit.

Thank goodness it’s fake-Friday. T-minus 4 hours til day-drinking begins.

This will be a Napa-focused week. I’ve got bottles of Caymus, Silver Oak and Joseph Phelps with my name on them.

Also loving the mint-lime San Pellegrino for cocktail or mocktail mixing; Quite versatile. Add cranberry. Add chili (or smoked chili). Add muddled sour cherries. Add Pom. Add pineapple. Add cucumber. Add grapefruit.

May just be G&Ts and Manhattans for me. Though, I have several varieties of mead in the cellar that are now aged 12+months that I may crack into.

I may make a pumpkin pie tonight, but most of my cooking starts tomorrow. Doing lamb this year, no need for a giant turkey.

We're doing lamb as well this year. I am looking forward to a long weekend, this week has been crazy. Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Reactions: 3 users
This year, I am thankful that covid has given me an excuse to avoid my family for thanksgiving. Have a nice menu planned (pinot flight, roasted duck, Chinese spinach, arugula, fingerling potatoes, and a cassoulet). Probably gonna burn it.

Reactions: 5 users
This year, I am thankful that covid has given me an excuse to avoid my family for thanksgiving. Have a nice menu planned (pinot flight, roasted duck, Chinese spinach, arugula, fingerling potatoes, and a cassoulet). Probably gonna burn it.

Going to use any of the duck in the cassoulet?

@Sanman can you beat @WisNeuro 's lamb ideas?

Happy to be a taster for the Great SDN Psych Cook Off.

I've seen a lamb scotch egg that looked interesting. I am big on middle eastern food, so my first thoughts are more lamb donner kebab/gyro on pita, a nice lamb tagine with apricot and pomegranate over couscous, lamb curry, lamb meatballs.

This recipe for Moroccan eggs seems like a fun brunch idea.

• Dislike
I have the rest of the week off so this is my Friday! Happy Thanksgiving, everyone. We are having ham, which we prefer to turkey and is also far easier to prepare. :)

Had a zoom meeting today with my colleagues that we finished with my giving a cocktail tutorial (the drink of the day is called the "Colony Record"- rum, cranberry simple syrup, grapefruit, and bitters). Followed with zoom pie baking with the extended family. We made coconut cream, chocolate cream, and a maple pie at our house.. Pretty traditional for tomorrow, though we split a turkey breast and will be doing half with a buttermilk brine. Tomorrow's cocktails include the "Thanks Given" and a a "cranberry mule" (recipes from this site Thanksgiving Cocktail Recipes That You'll Be Thankful For). We usually go to an Inn for Thanksgiving, so I'm kinda looking forward to cooking dinner at home- its been 5-6 that we've been eating at a restaurant/inn . Only catch is daughter has to quarantine until next week (suite mate at college tested positive, right as semester ended!) So won't be able to come home yet.

Everyone please be safe- this could end if we all look out for each other.

I've seen a lamb scotch egg that looked interesting. I am big on middle eastern food, so my first thoughts are more lamb donner kebab/gyro on pita, a nice lamb tagine with apricot and pomegranate over couscous, lamb curry, lamb meatballs.

This recipe for Moroccan eggs seems like a fun brunch idea.

Not a fan of middle eastern cuisine @PsyDr? French lamb stew more to your taste?

Working all weekend. Long run at some point. Gotta go buy a lamp, which is 900x more difficult than I would imagine.