Friday thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
This week was a lot. What alcoholic beverage tastes relatively good and will make me forget the week? My canned wine was judged harshly.
What's your budget?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
What's your budget?
Wines, I try to stick to $20 or less. I am a wimp when it comes to more potent drinks, but I like a good cocktail. I would be willing to splurge there.

Wines, I try to stick to $20 or less. I am a wimp when it comes to more potent drinks, but I like a good cocktail. I would be willing to splurge there.
Masso Antico Primitivo if you like red and can find it

Masso Antico Primitivo if you like red and can find it
I'll keep an eye out for it, but It doesn't look like they sell it in my usual places. I haven't had a red in a minute though. I should find a new cab to try. Thanks for the suggestion!

Step it up one notch. Ever heard of Fireball?
Fireball is my wife and my guilty pleasure when we go backpacking. Pack a camp mug with new fallen snow and top off with some fireball- you won't be disappointed in the drink (but you may be disappointed in the life choices that led you to find yourself in the middle of the woods with a plastic bottle of cheap liquor).

Tonight it's Greek food. Currently drinking a very nice Washington State pinot gris (Chemistry label- about $14 for the bottle). Started the evening (it is Friday, after all) with a nice Vieux Carre cocktail, as suggested in the thread a week or so ago.

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Tonight it's Greek food. Currently drinking a very nice Washington State pinot gris (Chemistry label- about $14 for the bottle). Started the evening (it is Friday, after all) with a nice Vieux Carre cocktail, as suggested in the thread a week or so ago.

Had a Negroni with dinner last Saturday! It was delicious, thanks for the suggestion.

Reactions: 2 users
IMG_2643.jpg

Here's the line up from the last backpacking trip, with the fireball holding its place just ahead of the boxed wine.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
This week was a lot. What alcoholic beverage tastes relatively good and will make me forget the week? My canned wine was judged harshly.
Sorry it was a rough week. What do you usually like to drink? I always recommend IPAs, scotch, or a whisky or gin based cocktail, but I have old man taste.

Edit: Missed this page. Homemade mojitos are pretty cheap and surprisingly good if you muddle with fresh mint.

Reactions: 1 user
I got my covid booster this afternoon and I'm starting to feel a fever coming on, so an early night for me and then work tomorrow.

I hope you feel better! I ended up getting wine because I'm lazy. I think a mojito sounds amazing.

Members don't see this ad :)
Also got my booster shot today and my arm is much more sore than the first 2 shots. ☹️

For tough weeks to forget about I generally turn to a rum concoction or a nice margarita (or 3...). To each their own !

I’ve had a rough 7-8 days but ending it with 5 upcoming staff psychologist interviews :cool: (GS-11, for the current/former VA folks in the thread)

Depends on what you like. As far as canned wine, may be a while to be accepted, like plastic corks :) I do think beverages taste different when coming from aluminum or glass, though.

I'm going out of town and I'm trying to convince myself it's going to be more fun than staying at home with my cat and ordering in.

I'm going out of town and I'm trying to convince myself it's going to be more fun than staying at home with my cat and ordering in.
I'm flying tonight and spending a week with my family. Wish I could hide home with my husband and pupper and order takeout. I'm going to need all the tequila to get through this.

She isn't a fan of cars. She tolerates it, but we let her stay home if it's going to be a long drive. She'll make friends with the drop-in person demand pets when we get back.

Interviewing is terrible. Can this not be a Harry Potter-style sorting hat kind of deal?

I can just see the body of literature that develops around the attributes a proposed sorting hat uses to determine selection

I'm old school. I first want a comparison of the efficacy of a sorting hat to the standard magic 8 ball.

Maybe Electronic Dream Phone would be an option?

"Does this position have teleworking options?"

"I'll never tell!"

We had a baby three weeks ago and this is my first week back. It's been a harder transition than I expected. I had a great three weeks with my family. The baby has her days and nights mixed up, but she is so cute, and this is the last time we're doing this, so I am trying to be present for it all. Our little guy is adjusting like a true champ. It's cool to see him care and love on her.

The birth and delivery were very drama free. Our baby girl had a nuchal chord, times three, but it's more common and she is doing great. I don't know if it's not being a first time parent or this one's temperament, but she seems so easy.

Last week, my wife got called into work. Despite being two weeks post partum, she went in. She works in a smaller IVF clinic, and the person her office hired to replace her had a death in the family and many embryos and eggs would have lost if she didn't go in this cycle. So I got to camp out in a office and text my wife when the baby was hungry. It was really cool to see my wife work though and, my wife is a strong lady to go help others get pregnant like that.

Today is like my Friday, so hopefully, things will be easy today.

• Care
Reactions: 9 users
I must be getting old—I had a presentation submission rejected at a conference (didn’t go for the poster option because graphic design is not my passion, and I know it), and my first thought was relief that I don’t have to do it.

On the flip side, I did have what will likely be my 100th peer-reviewed article get a minor revision decision yesterday, which I resubmitted in about 2 hours of receiving the decision (very minor wording changes).

Reactions: 3 users
I am technically off from work this week but my team had a covid case so I have a ton of paperwork/emails with employee health to contend with, as well as having to run my lab by myself (bc the clinical trials don't stop). And I'm worried about the person infected. And no daycare tomorrow or Friday.

I'll get a real vacation one day.

In other news my husband made a Total Wine order while I took a nap. 👍

Pt r/s due to being in the hospital, just worked on some end of the year tax stuff and scheduled a bunch of IME/legal stuff. Busy schedule through March. Glad I filed all of my S-corp stuff so I can shield a lot of that revenue from payroll taxes.

On the flip side, I did have what will likely be my 100th peer-reviewed article get a minor revision decision yesterday, which I resubmitted in about 2 hours of receiving the decision (very minor wording changes).

I think I speak for all of SDN when I say, we all look forward to seeing our special acknowledgment on your 100 article.

I think I speak for all of SDN when I say, we all look forward to seeing our special acknowledgment on your 100 article.
101st is where it's at, though, because then you can say "over 100 peer-reviewed publications" in your bios. :)

Btw, got back an email from the editor asking me to submit a clean (no highlights) version so that he can officially accept it. I did that, so hoping it comes through soon!

Honestly, I do kind of miss that.
When my cousin and his wife visited my parents for a vacation a few (5?) years ago (my parents live in ski country, so they get used as a free hotel a fair bit), his wife was incredibly excited to see the signs for Blockbuster and FYE in the same shopping center.

When my cousin and his wife visited my parents for a vacation a few (5?) years ago (my parents live in ski country, so they get used as a free hotel a fair bit), his wife was incredibly excited to see the signs for Blockbuster and FYE in the same shopping center.

Ah, the simpler times before we all became spoilt for choice.

Well this was a marathon of a week. I can't even remember Monday. I'm staying away from the 'rona this weekend. Going to get ahead of a few deadlines. The halfling had their first dose of the vaccine yesterday and is doing well. Super proud of that tiny human--they were so brave.

Accepted a job offer from one of my top ranked options this week. Trying to think of safe, creative ways to celebrate. One round of virtual drinks on me.

Reactions: 6 users
Huh, never heard of that. Does that make you miss beer more or is it a decent substitute?

It works pretty well, don't miss beer much. Which, I guess is part of the point of Dry January. If it were really hard to do, may be something else I'd have to address :) Also, for people who want a Almost Dry January, there are some "Non-Alcoholic" IPAs that are actually decent. Athletic Brewing makes a Run Wild IPA that is the closest substitute that I can find. It's technically like 0.5% alcohol, so not 100% no alcohol, but something easy to substitute here and there to cut down.

Laguintas has one called hop water or something that is wonderful.

Yeah, the Laguntitas Hoppy Refresher is the one I go with.

It works pretty well, don't miss beer much. Which, I guess is part of the point of Dry January. If it were really hard to do, may be something else I'd have to address :) Also, for people who want a Almost Dry January, there are some "Non-Alcoholic" IPAs that are actually decent. Athletic Brewing makes a Run Wild IPA that is the closest substitute that I can find. It's technically like 0.5% alcohol, so not 100% no alcohol, but something easy to substitute here and there to cut down.

Ha! I suppose that's true. I'm more on a sugar detox this month after all of the compulsory sweets endemic to the holidays. I don't eat the stuff regularly anyways, but I also try not to offend people in shared meals and whatnot. Haven't given up drinking for the month though, maybe it's my internal hipster that makes me want to buck a national trend...

It works pretty well, don't miss beer much. Which, I guess is part of the point of Dry January. If it were really hard to do, may be something else I'd have to address
The Swedes call it a "white month". Like differentiating hunger from bored eating: if you’ll take straight cabbage or vermouth: you have a problem.