Friday thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Glad you're alright.

Going to try and spend some time relaxing after a very busy week (internship application reviews). Maybe open a bottle of wine or a cocktail tonight.

What cocktail makes you forget about reams of paperwork?
Palomas

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
REALLY long week at the old assessment center, making up for some lost time due to some scary- but ultimately relatively benign- medical issues (who knew that there are migraine symptoms that mimic a stroke?). When you're booked out 10 months, there's really no convenient place to put rescheduled clients. Bought a 6 pack of Sixpoint Resin. Highly recommended. Wife and I heading up to Tree House tomorrow to pick up a supply of Julius and similar offerings. Playing Last of Us Part 2 now. Compelling but not enjoyable. Watching some college hockey on TV later tonight, and in-person tomorrow. Can't complain too much.
My buddy got one when we’re twelve that made him aphasic. It was wild they thought he had meningitis - but dehydration what the thing that triggered it.

Reactions: 1 user
If anyone's every up for an adventure, try out the Vieux Carre. Such a great rye cocktail.
If anyone's every up for an adventure, try out the Vieux Carre. Such a great rye cocktail.
That looks great. Anyone have any recommendations on Cognac? That's a spiritual not very familiar with. Love me a nice Side Car, but never gave much thought to the components.

That looks great. Anyone have any recommendations on Cognac? That's a spiritual not very familiar with. Love me a nice Side Car, but never gave much thought to the components.
Can’t help you with a cognac recommendation, unfortunately. But looking forward to a 2014 Vigo Etna Rosso along with homemade linguine puttanesca for dinner tonight. 3 patients down today, 10 more to go…

Members don't see this ad :)
My wife passed a huge test for her job and got a huge certification. We're about two weeks out from Baby #2, and I'm just like "pls not yet" because I've got a lot to do. I'm almost to pre-pandemic weight. I want to get a lot of miles this weekend.

Last edited:
If anyone's every up for an adventure, try out the Vieux Carre. Such a great rye cococktail.
Drinking one at the moment. Redemption Rye, Dolins Vermouth, and Dujardin VSOP (cheap stuff). Pretty tasty.

Off for the holiday (which means I'm only spending a few hours per day writing reports and/or grading papers). Happy Thanksgiving to all of you. Be safe, have fun, and recharge.

Reactions: 1 users
Glad you liked it! It's been a go to when I get tired of drinking Manhattans. I also use Redemption Rye and then Antica for the Vermouth.
Swap out the cognac for Campari and you basically have a Boulevardier, which is another great bourbon cocktail for when you're sick of manhattans.

Are these antiques also business furniture?

No. Not that type of thing. The office is fully furnished. Unless I replace usable stuff with fragile, non ada compliant, bad ergonomic things.

Can you sell personal assets to your llc? Or is that a capital contribution?

doesn’t matter.

I don't understand T-Swift. She's alright, but a bit overblown, IMO.
She's just a boring rich kid with well connected parents, lean looks, and blonde hair - the ketchup of the music industry. That might be the reason.

She's just a boring rich kid with well connected parents, lean looks, and blonde hair - the ketchup of the music industry. That might be the reason.

Right?! Her music is super standard mainline pop with an occasional country twang thrown in to keep it interesting. Hardly worth the hype.

Man, Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday for a few reasons. First, I love to cook for people. I try to do most things from scratch and have my turkey pretty down pat (spatchcock by removing the backbone with some shears and flattening out the bird on a cooking sheet - cuts the cooking time down, and helps get the different types of meats to their preferred temperature as white meat is best at 150 degrees and dark meat needs to render connective tissue and fat at 175+ in half as much cooking time).

But, this year, we are on baby watch and will be going to in-laws where there is a bit of lack of pride in the cooking (lots of corner cutting and Costco sides). Oh well, I guess I'll just drink my FIL's Blanton's. It will still be great seeing everyone.

I'm a little worried because they had the ole C-1 niner last week, but are testing clear now. Thank goodness we're all vax'd.

Yes, but I haven't seen it there.

You won't. But if you;re signed up for their Rewards program, and shop there occasionally, you can sign up for a twice yearly "raffle" to buy rare whiskey and bourbon at MSRP. Essentially, every dollar you spend in the time period counts as a raffle ticket. It's how I bought my Rip Van Winkle for $70 a couple years back

You won't. But if you;re signed up for their Rewards program, and shop there occasionally, you can sign up for a twice yearly "raffle" to buy rare whiskey and bourbon at MSRP. Essentially, every dollar you spend in the time period counts as a raffle ticket. It's how I bought my Rip Van Winkle for $70 a couple years back
I will have to look into this. Total wine is a bit out of the way for me, but close to some friends I visit. Picked up a Whistle Pig Rye for Thanksgiving as I will be at home this year. Curious to try it for the first time, I have heard good things.

Last edited:

Oh, wow. Noted. Thanks for the advice!

I will have to look into this. Total wine is a bit out of the way for me, but close to some friends I visit. Picked up a Whistle Pig Rye for Thanksgiving as I will be at home this year. Curious to try it for the first time, I have heard good things.

Yeah, you can order some things in for pickup (not the rares, though) so you could just do an order for when you go over there to get some tickets.

Oh, wow. Noted. Thanks for the advice!

Of course. As payment for the advice, I'll gladly take the first rare you get ;)

I'd take that, actually. People around here pretty much buy up most of the Buffalo Trace distillery offerings as soon as they hit the shelf.
Right?! I used to have no problem finding a bottle, but now it's non-existent. I can find BT, but ER or EH Taylor? Forget about it.

I'd take that, actually. People around here pretty much buy up most of the Buffalo Trace distillery offerings as soon as they hit the shelf.
Same here. I actually found my first Eagle Rare in the wild. I really like it for the price. In my neck of the woods, Total Wine gets the Buffalo Trace (EH Taylor, Weller, Saz, etc.) on Weds or Fri. People line up for it. I have more bourb than i'll ever drink. I think that's a good problem to have. It's a fun little hunt. Also, don't sleep on Wal Marts for Eagle Rare.

Same here. I actually found my first Eagle Rare in the wild. I really like it for the price. In my neck of the woods, Total Wine gets the Buffalo Trace (EH Taylor, Weller, Saz, etc.) on Weds or Fri. People line up for it. I have more bourb than i'll ever drink. I think that's a good problem to have. It's a fun little hunt. Also, don't sleep on Wal Marts for Eagle Rare.

I'd have to cross state lines to take advantage of that one.

Nope, just one of several states where you have to go to a liquor store as you cannot buy in grocery stores.
Utah is also one of these states, unsurprisingly.

Submitted a revised manuscript (minor revision) today that I received the decision for on 11/24--hoping for a quick and positive outcome, as this is a passion project MS for me (and related to psychology training)!

This week was a lot. What alcoholic beverage tastes relatively good and will make me forget the week? My canned wine was judged harshly.