Friday thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Wordle strategy: What are you starting words?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
I usually start with STRIP because I find it harder to get consonants than vowels, so I try to prioritize getting a bunch of more common ones out there.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Ours was like three weeks ago. It's already a distant memory. ;)

Yeah, ours is late this year, which won’t leave much time when we’re back…We’re getting our 6 year old her first skateboard today. Hope to make it through break without any breaks

A little early for Friday, but mine is starting early. Taking a little trip South to some warm weather.
Also ate a chicken sandwich with donuts for buns to get the faux weekend started.

Reactions: 2 users
About to head out for a 55 mile ride in the morning twilight. Gotta make it back in about three hours so I can see my progeny do the neighborhood egg hunt. Might have to eat my halfway donut on the bike. I’ll get a half stale gas station maple bar I think.

Gonna sous vide some lamb chops for Easter (they’re tradition in my family). What are y’all having?

Last edited:
About to head out for a 55 mile ride in the morning twilight. Gotta make it back in about three hours so I can see my progeny do the neighborhood egg hunt. Might have to eat my halfway donut in the bike. I’ll get a half stake gas station maple bar I think.

Gonna sous vide some lamb chops for Easter (they’re tradition in my family). What are y’all having?
Sounds like fun! Just reheating some leftovers and getting ready to go for a long hike tomorrow!

Hey isn't it Friday? What are you all doing? Still working? Ugh! Actually I have one more patient coming in then call it quits for the week. Plans are to work around the house. My evil business partner (aka spouse) decided things were going well enough here at the office that I could devote the weekend to the home as opposed to the office.
on the floor fml GIF

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Had the day off. I picked up some clearance corned beef from Costco. I decided to smoke it to make home made pastrami.

It is Friday! I need to get one of those jobs where you can just leave when it's sunny outside.

I've got one of those, except I don't leave because I am working from home :shrug:

Refurbished and repainted the cornhole boards yesterday. Caught the first fish of the year (a rather unimpressive largemouth) this afternoon. Enjoying a vodka collins, making some shredded chicken and grilled poblano quesadillas, and watching some basketball as the last light of the weekend fades away. There's an old music venue reopening nearby this week, and being the hometown of Dinosaur Jr., they are doing the opening concert. I "won" the raffle for the oppeortunity to purchase tickets, so I'll be doing some damage to my hearing Wednesday night (last time I saw them in a small club it was so loud that it was literally physically uncomfortable in my chest- earplugs are a must!). Final projects for both my classes are due tonight, so there's some grading in my future.

Finals, which means entering final grades.

Friday: Patients all morning, administrative work all afternoon.

Saturday & Sunday: Some academic work. Some bigger picture planning, housework, etc. Probably mothers day stuff.

Doing a community event thing this afternoon with the local yoga studio. Marketing and networking. I hate it, but I already got one solid client referred from that direction so it might be worth it.

Doing a community event thing this afternoon with the local yoga studio. Marketing and networking. I hate it, but I already got one solid client referred from that direction so it might be worth it.

Definitely keep at it, marketing is important. Do you have to show up in yoga pants?

• Haha
Need to finish up car shopping this weekend, which is really a pointless exercise in futility right now. Some Mother's Day stuff and I need to get some workouts in and committee work wrapped up as well.

Definitely keep at it, marketing is important. Do you have to show up in yoga pants?
lol
That would be a scary sight. I am gradually getting my name out in the community and getting more referrals. The hard part is letting everyone know that "yes, I have availability for new patients, but no I do not take insurance." It always seems like a conversation killer.

Officially proposed my thesis and survived my first year of grad school!! Excited to spend the summer focusing on research, working out, video games, and time with doggo.

15 minutes into my assessment this morning and the child declares "I'm going to call you poop!" I usually don't get the poop talk until like the 4th or 5th WPPSI subtest! Kiddo then went on to either quit in protest before hitting the ceiling on each subtest, or point to every choice in the stimulus book, even when he obviously new the correct answer. I should've given him an ID diagnosis on principle and let him have to explain that the rest of his life!

Good old cheap cans of American adjunct lager tonight on the deck with a fire, Thai chicken burritos, and playoff hockey. Probably hitting a pond with the canoe tomorrow for some bass (and maybe a big northern), unless I change my mind and break out the fly gear and hit the river for some 'bows.

…The hard part is letting everyone know that "yes, I have availability for new patients, but no I do not take insurance." It always seems like a conversation killer.
Hang in there with that. Your schedule will be full eventually and you will be very happy not having to deal with insurance BS.

Hang in there with that. Your schedule will be full eventually and you will be very happy not having to deal with insurance BS.
Thanks for tha encouragement. They are coming in slowly but surely and it is nice not having to grind out the sessions just to try and pay the bills. Update on community event is that I had three solid people who communicated they would contact me for therapy and a couple of others who would send referrals. My wife spent 125 on some art from the next booth over so I better get at least one session out of the deal to make up for that. 😉

After a year or so of deliberation and searching, we're taking the plunge and getting a puppy. Picking her up on Saturday- a fluffy little 8-week-old labradoodle. I'm very excited, but also anxious.

Having some reno done in the basement (new bath and egress window), in anticipation of my kids never being able to afford to live anywhere else- one is a psych major, afterall! Of course they found black mold behind all the paneling- including in area we weren't going to be doing anything to. Double edged sword- dramatic increase in cost, but that stuff is nasty, I hang out down there a lot, and my asthma has been horrible last few winters. I'm glad they found it and can get rid of (plus, I'll have a cute puppy to play with while I'm "trapped" upstairs).

• Love
Reactions: 10 users
Wrapping up a clinical day and heading out to see Pearl Jam with my wife. Last day of classes early tomorrow...and then seeing them again tomorrow night. Never done that before. Her idea, I'm definitely a fan but probably wouldn't have considered going twice. Looking forward to a whirlwind next 24+ hours and many memories from high school/college days.

Reactions: 4 users
Wrapping up a clinical day and heading out to see Pearl Jam with my wife. Last day of classes early tomorrow...and then seeing them again tomorrow night. Never done that before. Her idea, I'm definitely a fan but probably wouldn't have considered going twice. Looking forward to a whirlwind next 24+ hours and many memories from high school/college days.
Pretty cool. I saw them 30 years ago (!) At Lollapalooza 2. Great show- Chili Peppers, Soundgarden, Jesus and Mary Chain (a personal favorite), Ministry, et al. Man- I used to be cool!

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Pretty cool. I saw them 30 years ago (!) At Lollapalooza 2. Great show- Chili Peppers, Soundgarden, Jesus and Mary Chain (a personal favorite), Ministry, et al. Man- I used to be cool!
nice! I think went the following year...Beastie Boys, Cypress Hill, Green Day, Tribe Called Quest...
last night's show was great, looking forward to see what changes tonight...and classes are DONE!

Seeing @MamaPhD deleted her account in another thread has me in my feels as she often shared helpful information :(

Seeing @MamaPhD deleted her account in another thread has me in my feels as she often shared helpful information :(
Sad if they are leaving. I wonder why you would delete an account as opposed to just not using it? MamaPhD was someone that I exchanged quite a bit of information with back in the day and I recall appreciating their perspective on topics in our field. I will often challenge other posters and play a bit of devils advocate for various reasons and I always felt that even when I would go out on one of my limbs, I could trust them to be supportive of my perspective. A good balance to some of us who can get more strident with our opinions.

Never sent, but graduated with my M.A. on Friday. Moving into my PhD in fall.

Gonna spend this summer doing a whole lotta nothing (and traveling/fitness stuff)

Reactions: 7 users
First week of puppy ownership in the books. Going relatively smoothly so far. Good, smart dog who came to us already pretty far along with training. She's the cutest thing in the world and totally has me smitten, but I'm being a good behavior analyst and reinforcing the good stuff and putting the other stuff on extinction, plus I get to do some clicker training, which is very cool. Going to my first live conference in years next weekend (ABAI Annual in Boston), and there is a presentiontation on puppy training!

Reactions: 5 users
Two big things:
  • Gonna watch Hulu's version of Under the Banner of Heaven (excellent book by Jon Krakauer if your curious about early mormonism, polygamy, and the fundamentalist sects).
  • NEW DOWNTON ABBEY! It's gonna be SO DRAMATIC.
My wife has the audacity go to a work dinner tonight, so it looks like I will be wrangling our little hobgoblin and administering bottles. Wondering if this daddy should brave going out to eat with them...

Two big things:
  • Gonna watch Hulu's version of Under the Banner of Heaven (excellent book by Jon Krakauer if your curious about early mormonism, polygamy, and the fundamentalist sects).
  • NEW DOWNTON ABBEY! It's gonna be SO DRAMATIC.
My wife has the audacity go to a work dinner tonight, so it looks like I will be wrangling our little hobgoblin and administering bottles. Wondering if this daddy should brave going out to eat with them...
Do it! When my first born was a baby, I had Fridays off and my wife worked, so I always went out to lunch with the baby.

Am I allowed to rant for a second? I DON'T CARE I'M GOING TO ANYWAY

I just got fired by the parents of a teen I work with. They have been micromanaging therapy (constantly sending me emails about what we should be focusing on in session), pushing back on suggestions, etc., as part of a pattern where they accommodate the **** out of their kid out of their kid's anxiety and distress. Anyways, I provided them with feedback on this issue and they fired me. It was ugly. This is a frustrating job sometimes.

Reactions: 5 users
Am I allowed to rant for a second? I DON'T CARE I'M GOING TO ANYWAY

I just got fired by the parents of a teen I work with. They have been micromanaging therapy (constantly sending me emails about what we should be focusing on in session), pushing back on suggestions, etc., as part of a pattern where they accommodate the **** out of their kid out of their kid's anxiety and distress. Anyways, I provided them with feedback on this issue and they fired me. It was ugly. This is a frustrating job sometimes.
Congrats on having a spine. They’ll be back. My mom was a speech path. When I rant to her she tell me her mantra which is “parents have a right to mess up their kid.”

Seriously though - you could have beard stroked or given useless platitudes. However, you turned to a difficult convo. I’m impressed.

Reactions: 3 users