Friday thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I passed the EPPP yesterday and am going to celebrate today!!! I can’t believe the journey of 10+ years is almost over.
Now I am impatiently waiting for next steps. When do I get the jurisprudence exam???
I am still very much is shock!!

Members don't see this ad.

• Love
Reactions: 11 users
I passed the EPPP yesterday and am going to celebrate today!!! I can’t believe the journey of 10+ years is almost over.
Now I am impatiently waiting for next steps. When do I get the jurisprudence exam???
I am still very much is shock!!

Congratulations!!!!! I'll be having fish tacos and margs tonight in your honor :)

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Congratulations!!!!! I'll be having fish tacos and margs tonight in your honor :)
Thank you, that is so sweet! Please think of me as you eat them haha
I did not visit my parents for Father’s Day as I was too busy cramming and acting generally insane from the stress, so I’m going out today with my family to celebrate belated Father’s Day and also passing the test!

My biggest motivation to pass was not studying during the summer.
So many times I thought “the weather is SO nice, why am I freaking learning about how infants develop their eyesight?? I only have so many summers left in my life”

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Reschedule this morning, so unexpected free day! Exciting trip to Costco (the $45 1.75 of Larceny is back after a long hiatis!). Brought a truckload of junk to the dump, stopped of at the local watering hole for a quick bite and a cold beverage, now going to snuggle with pup and read a book before figuring out something tasty to do with that bourbon.

I have a bit of a dilemma (a good one).

It's a long weekend. But, my wife has tomorrow off and has to pop on in on sunday at around noon. So I was thinking about going on a quick camping/cycling trip to cooler weather.

The plan is to:
  • Leave at 10am tomorrow after having an nice morning.
  • After a 2.5 hour drive, arrive at destination by 1ish.
  • Ride from 1 to whenever, pick up a sando and some beer, and go to the "spot" and camp in the back of my truck.
  • Wake up at 4am chug some coffee, break camp, etc.
  • By 5 to 530 be on my bike for a 2.5 hour ride.
  • Dip out by 9am, at the latest.
  • Be back in town by 12 and meet wifey with the kids at her work.
Or just get a sitter and sleep in a bit.

Reactions: 1 users
3 CPRS notes away from 10 days of visiting family and hanging out on the beach....see ya!

Reactions: 5 users

It's a long weekend. But, my wife has tomorrow off and has to pop on in on sunday at around noon. So I was thinking about going on a quick camping/cycling trip to cooler weather.

The plan is to:
  • Ride from 1 to whenever, pick up a sando and some beer, and go to the "spot" and camp in the back of my truck.
Head up to whites and catch some apaches

The plan is to:
I'd already have my bags packed for that trip.

Members don't see this ad :)
The fly fishing is the easy part- especially for fish like that. They've never seen flies, so you can butcher the cast nd they still thinks it's a real bug

I'm more of a passive fisherman. Just want to sit on the dock and cast for bass/crappie/sunnies. If we're feeling amnitious, we'll get a boat out to go for the pike and walleye.

I started reading The Tyranny of Metrics. I'm still early in the book, but it is soothing a frustrated part of my soul. If I ever end up in any form of leadership or research, I might make it a yearly read.

• Love
first day on campus in two weeks and this was mailed to me, exciting!
working on APA posters today, anyone else headed to Minneapolis in a few weeks?
also a tetanus shot scheduled this afternoon :(
headed back to the woods next week

Attachments

• IMG-3445.jpg
    IMG-3445.jpg
    161 KB · Views: 84
Post-graduation celebration summer has been a blur. I don't even know what day it is.

I "had" to buy a new a new wheel set for my road bike because my rim cracked. For only 1100 dollars, you too can save a whole ten ounces. I've been cycling for close to 15 years and this is my first set of carbon wheels. Does anyone else feel extremely guilty when they spend good money on non-essentials? I guess there is always the "going on three hour rides at 5am is self-care" excuse.

To offset the expense, we purchased a bread machine for $7.50 at good will. The thing is the closet thing to magic i've ever experienced. You just slap the ingredients together and about three hours later you have fresh baked bread. 10/10.

I "had" to buy a new a new wheel set for my road bike because my rim cracked. For only 1100 dollars, you too can save a whole ten ounces. I've been cycling for close to 15 years and this is my first set of carbon wheels. Does anyone else feel extremely guilty when they spend good money on non-essentials? I guess there is always the "going on three hour rides at 5am is self-care" excuse.

To offset the expense, we purchased a bread machine for $7.50 at good will. The thing is the closet thing to magic i've ever experienced. You just slap the ingredients together and about three hours later you have fresh baked bread. 10/10.
Tell us about the bread you have made so far.

Tell us about the bread you have made so far.
We used some of the recipes from the book that came with it. But, we found the r/breadmachine subreddit and have been doing a couple from 50+ Delicious Bread Machine Recipes - Bread Dad. My wife makes a wonderful rosemary loaf with rosemary from our garden. I just made a cheesy jalapeno bread from Bread Dad. It's so funny - bread is not expensive, but it makes it even more inexpensive. The breadmachine sub has a good guide to buying a used machine (you should never buy one new - especially your first one). We eat a ton of PB&Js. It's just fun... Makes the house smell amazing.

A bread machine like basically does everything for you. You just add the ingredients (milk/water, flour, butter/oil, sugar/salt, bread machine yeast), and it has a little paddle in the bottom that combines and kneads everything for you, then it allows it to proof, a little, does a second round of kneading, then a final proof, and then it bakes it for you. It doesn't heat the house up or anything. Clean up is minimal.

Here is some video/pics I took today (sorry for the dirty toddler fork, bottles, cheerios, and crumbs...)

Last edited:

I LOVE bread machines probably far more than they deserve. So incredibly convenient

Been playing guitar for 20 plus years. Just snagged a high end Martin acoustic (they're the OG of acoustic guitars). I have plenty of guitars. Didn't need another one. But omg the dopaminergic high I got opening it up for the first time. Have yet to tell my gf how much it cost. Cross that bridge in a few...years. maybe. I'm also currently perusing for a new strat, so....ugh i have a problem.

Reactions: 3 users
Last day of postdoc today! Cleaning out my office and finalizing a few things then headed home to start packing for the big move next week!

Congrats!

Out of town for the weekend. Was supposed to do a travel IME and then meet up with the fam here for a long weekend in Lake Country. IME no-showed, so I get to bill and got an extra day of vacation.

Whoops, my state sent my license early.

Reactions: 3 users
Just catching up on the Friday thread this am and it looks like a lot of good things are happening for the folks on here. Congrats to all as you keep accomplishing the goals. I guess the moral of that is that the hard work pays off. I had the highest revenue again this month and I have one more week to go and I’m not even counting the significant payment from new intensive outpatient client. Hired new therapy intern and one intern is going to work part time as office support and I will be hiring another part time office support next week. I should celebrate too!

Just had an almost 5-year-old client whisper to me "don't tell my mom, but I have a girlfriend." Fortunately, he whispered it loud enough that his mother heard him from the waiting room, or I would've had to have a difficult conversation with him about the limits of confidentiality when work with preschoolers.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
My mom won tickets to see a fairly well known country/pop singer tonight. It's funny - she follows the social media of a local magazine and always plays in their giveaways and wins like once or twice a year. This last one had like 11 comments. So we're getting a baby sitter and having a date night. My wife is stoked for this show, me not so much. But, it'll still be fun.

It's ridiculously hot right now. I've started not wearing a shirt on my morning runs. Sure, I'm hairy, 25 pounds over my college weight, and jiggle jiggle, but the comfort is worth it. My dog doesn't seem to mind.

I'm gonna also not get much sleep tonight and ride my bike tomorrow early. I bought those rims and then promptly had another two flats on them. I said "f this... it's time to go tubeless and use the full potential of these rims." I've never done tubeless on a road bike - but used on my mountain bike when I had one. The tires have a sealant in them and have no problem with goatheads. Apparently they're faster and lighter too. What's weird is that you only roll like 65 psi in them - which is odd because tube and tire systems you have to fill up to like 120psi sometimes. The lower PSI helps with ride comfort and better rolling resistance (less bounce). Only downside is that you have to remember to top up the sealant and tires are more expensive. Hopefully the first ride goes smoothly.

• Wow
It would drive me nuts if the Friday thread went to the top on every day except friday.

It's Friday thennnnn its Saturday, Sunday, WHAT! Had to.

In other news, APA convention virtually was pretty decent. No major tech issues. I wish they had a wider array of Live CE sessions though, but there are probably logistics issues with how much the could live stream. It is what it is.

It's Friday thennnnn its Saturday, Sunday, WHAT! Had to.

In other news, APA convention virtually was pretty decent. No major tech issues. I wish they had a wider array of Live CE sessions though, but there are probably logistics issues with how much the could live stream. It is what it is.

Thanks for posting the video and reminding me what APA conventions used to be like. APA virtual definitely has fewer yachts and less dancing ;):lol:

Camping weekend with my best friends from undergrad was amazing. So nice to get back into mountains, push myself a bit physically, and relax with the people who know me best. Now back to the city for some front country fun

@WisNeuro I've got a beer name for your brewery - "Ivan Pavlov's Ale - A mouth watering IPA that'll have you classically conditioned." I'll PM you my address for some royalties. Kthxbye.

Last edited:
It was my birthday last week, and I was gifted my first ever case of COVID. Hasn't been horrible, but still pretty unpleasant. Isolation is pretty boring, though I did finish Forbidden West, and watched some interesting docuseries. The hardest think is trying to reschedule a week and a half worth of testing into a calendar that's booked out 18 months!

• Care