Friday thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Friday is close enough.

My office is hospital gray/brown. How do I make it feel less unappealing? Everything I can think of seems to be a fire hazard or tripping risk.
Got a window?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Friday is close enough.

My office is hospital gray/brown. How do I make it feel less unappealing? Everything I can think of seems to be a fire hazard or tripping risk.
How hard would it be to paint your office? If that’s a doable option, highly recommend. Good artwork is nice as well and a plant or two adds a nice touch. Glad to hear you have a window.

How hard would it be to paint your office? If that’s a doable option, highly recommend. Good artwork is nice as well and a plant or two adds a nice touch. Glad to hear you have a window.

At the VA you have to go through the right channels, and options are limited. You can add artwork of your own, though.

Yeah, I can't imagine they'll paint for me. They are supposed to be ripping out the ancient carpet in some of the rooms, but there is a 6 month delay. I did receive my metal, grayish brown bookshelf. The rest of the room is empty.

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah, I can't imagine they'll paint for me. They are supposed to be ripping out the ancient carpet in some of the rooms, but there is a 6 month delay. I did receive my metal, grayish brown bookshelf. The rest of the room is empty.

They should, just gouge some scratches in the paint and call facilities. Your choice of paint colors will be quite limited, but they may be able to do an accent wall.

At the VA you have to go through the right channels, and options are limited. You can add artwork of your own, though.

Depends in the type of artwork. Glass frames or breakable things are an issue for those random facilities checks I believe.

I wanted to hang flyers, but it might burst into flames unless it's behind very fancy, exclusive glass owned by the facility. They did compromise and say we can hang paper on our door if we put it in a sheet protector.

I wanted to hang flyers, but it might burst into flames unless it's behind very fancy, exclusive glass owned by the facility. They did compromise and say we can hang paper on our door if we put it in a sheet protector.
It's best to ask for forgiveness than permission.

We had to have specific/approved frames that had to be mounted by facilities for anything we hung on the wall. I hung a few things anyway, but they were on brackets that had been installed for a previous occupant, so they never got taken down. In my prior office, I'd had a few charts and things taped to the walls and they made me take them down during one of the rounds.

And we were technically supposed to have gotten permission from interior design anytime we moved furniture around or switched things between offices. That never happened, and no one ever said anything to any of us.

Most of the folks conducting therapy brought in their own lamps (usually floor lamps) to improve the VA lighting situation. I don't know if they had to get them approved by facilities since they were electric devices, but at least at our clinic, that was a pretty painless process. The lighting made a huge difference in most cases. Plants can also be great, just be sure they're not necessarily within easy reach of a pissed off patient who may try to throw them at you.

Reactions: 1 users
It has to be a grounded light, which is limiting my options. Due to the outlet situation, it might be easier to do something battery powered.

The amount of bureaucratic BS you VA folks have to go through just to get basic office decorations is ridiculous. That alone would pretty much be a deal breaker for me at this point.

I spend more time at my office than my home and office decor is a big deal for me. One of the things I love about private practice is coming into an office that is inviting, comfortable and personally designed to my taste. Patients often comment on it as well.

I have a great interior designer and like to change things up every 3-5 years or so when the mood strikes me. It’s a pretty simple process, too. I just give them a call, we meet to discuss ideas, agree to a plan and within a few weeks to months (depending on supply chain now), I have a very nice, new office environment that is a pleasure to spend time in.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
The amount of bureaucratic BS you VA folks have to go through just to get basic office decorations is ridiculous. That alone would pretty much be a deal breaker for me at this point.

I spend more time at my office than my home and office decor is a big deal for me. One of the things I love about private practice is coming into an office that is inviting, comfortable and personally designed to my taste. Patients often comment on it as well.

I have a great interior designer and like to change things up every 3-5 years or so when the mood strikes me. It’s a pretty simple process, too. I just give them a call, we meet to discuss ideas, agree to a plan and within a few weeks to months (depending on supply chain now), I have a very nice, new office environment that is a pleasure to spend time in.

Different life stages. The irony is that the largest office I ever had was at the VA as an intern. It was an old group meeting room. The downside was that all the intern meetings and didactics were held in my office. Some of the patient groups for my rotation were held in my office as well. Being remote, I don't worry about this stuff anymore.

Different life stages. The irony is that the largest office I ever had was at the VA as an intern. It was an old group meeting room. The downside was that all the intern meetings and didactics were held in my office. Some of the patient groups for my rotation were held in my office as well. Being remote, I don't worry about this stuff anymore.
Yep to different life stages. I could have tolerated that as an intern but not now - at least not without my permission. I view my office as a kind of sanctuary and am rather protective of the space.

My actual pt office is meh, but it's also where I spend the least amount of my time. I prefer writing in my home office with my many screens. And also, a good deal of my work happens traveling either within my immediate region, and with some overseas work. So, I make sure my home office and travel stuff is all up to snuff.

Yep to different life stages. I could have tolerated that as an intern but not now - at least not without my permission. I view my office as a kind of sanctuary and am rather protective of the space.

Can't blame you. Having entered the VA grey zone, I feel like I am always a few annoyances away from quitting and going PP. I'll hang on as long as life stays easy.

I'm counting my wins! I finally have a phone. I don't have an extension, but the phone is now in my office.

In terms of setup, getting a portable monitor has been huge for being productive on the go. A lot of research work is wildly more productive with two screens, so I've been a very happy Dazen the last few weeks.

My office is essentially a cave directly on a unit. Outside of a giant entire wall bookshelf with my texts and some buckeye memorabilia, it's pretty bare bones. A colleague of mine has a couch in his that i know he uses on the regular; however, I've never been jealous, cause...you know.. it's a "state" couch. gross.

Yeah...mine is pretty bare compared to my previous office back in Ohio. I decided to not decorate as much. It was a pain to haul stuff up to the top floor and the VA wouldn't allow me to be parked out front very long, so I had to use a wheelchair to bring my stuff up on a Saturday. The furniture here seems as if its from a 1980's Fort Lauderdale dental office. Still no window. Maybe when I get to GS-13 next year that upgrade comes with a window view :p

At this point, my office would be better if I just used the books as furniture..

Business is finally back to baseline. This weekend I'm going to drink some wine, do some academic writing, and talk psylady into a pizza night.

Reactions: 3 users
At this point, my office would be better if I just used the books as furniture..

Business is finally back to baseline. This weekend I'm going to drink some wine, do some academic writing, and talk psylady into a pizza night.

Pizza sounds good as long as it is real New York style and not that other stuff. ;)

I may talk the wife into homemade pizza since it is a long weekend, though we are running around a bit and cleaning up as family is visiting next weekend.

Finally caught up for the most part, but I need to do a couple months of clinical billing. Need to make some hot sauce with my final harvest. Apple picking and a date day this weekend with the. Had to postpone anniversary celebrations last month due to international travel and other stuff.

The VA decor discussion above reminds me that I am completely ruined for working for other people. After working in solo practice, I can never go back to working for someone else. I'm apparently too much of a rebel to be confined. ;)

Looking forward to the weekend. I have half a day of clients tomorrow, but other than that, I imagine a visit to a pumpkin farm is in my future. My son loves that sort of thing, even though it is not a cost-effective way to buy pumpkins!!

Reactions: 4 users
Football Sunday!!! Went 4-0 in fantasy last weekend so I want to keep riding that high. Otherwise catching up on some work after a few lower productivity days due to the covid booster

Very behind on grading, so need to catch up at some point. Looking forward to the next few weekends: escape rooms with friends, fall parties with family, etc.

Heading to Glacier NP again this weekend. Trying to get a break from work, but my brother and sister-in-law have a kid in treatment so I will be pulled into some unpaid work regardless. Maybe I’ll let my wife provide the empathic support and I’ll do my best to dodge it.

Reactions: 3 users
Because of the temperature drop, there is a significant chance I will wake up with my cat requesting to snuggle under the blanket. She'll curl up by my side and purr. She is my first kitty. Best decision I've ever made!

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Had an early assessment on the calendar today (only one for the day). Left office yesterday knowing I wouldn't get home until later in the evening and would not be doing work, so left the laptop and files at the office (it's kind of freeing to do this every now and then!). Of course, i get a call this morning that kiddo is sick and will need to reschedule, so no need to go to the office. Of course I needed my computer and files to work from home, and already was dressed in my finest work clothes and placed my DD order for pickup. Good thing office is only 20-25 minutes away.

Going to dinner and first college hockey game of the year tonight with son, with alma mater (go Minutemen!) facing off against defending national champs Denver. Home improvement, yard work, and my own hockey on tap for rest of weekend. I have a few Jack's Abbey Copper Legend Oktoberfests left over to help me make it through the weekend. I love this time of the yea- marzens are one of my favorite beer styles.

Had an early assessment on the calendar today (only one for the day). Left office yesterday knowing I wouldn't get home until later in the evening and would not be doing work, so left the laptop and files at the office (it's kind of freeing to do this every now and then!). Of course, i get a call this morning that kiddo is sick and will need to reschedule, so no need to go to the office. Of course I needed my computer and files to work from home, and already was dressed in my finest work clothes and placed my DD order for pickup. Good thing office is only 20-25 minutes away.

Going to dinner and first college hockey game of the year tonight with son, with alma mater (go Minutemen!) facing off against defending national champs Denver. Home improvement, yard work, and my own hockey on tap for rest of weekend. I have a few Jack's Abbey Copper Legend Oktoberfests left over to help me make it through the weekend. I love this time of the yea- marzens are one of my favorite beer styles.
What's your dunk's order, man?

Casey Affleck Fighting GIF by Saturday Night Live

I submitted an application to my state licensing board to sit for EPPP. Heading the processing time could be 2-3 months so I’ll start studying now and try to take it in January 2023.

Finally finished my GRFP app and feeling good about what I put together. Applying is something I’ve been working towards for over a year, so it’s very satisfying to be ready to submit

Full clinical schedule today. Followed by dinner and wine.
Saturday: chores, forensic work, prepping a presentation, and doing something with psygirl.
Sunday: traveling for work.

Very happy it's finally Friday. Been a long week with more than usual follow up phone calls, script refills, PAs, letter writing, etc.

Just finished a 14-patient day and ready to head out after a couple more scripts to call in. Looking very forward to Blue Point and Well Fleet oysters with a glass or two of Muscadet prepared by the SO when I get home.

I have an ungodly number of reports to catch up on, some of which will hopefully happen this weekend. Other than that, going to finally enjoy some nice weather (for once).
this hurts because me. freaking. too. I have 3 more next week too, but some of those are super fast at least. there are 5 I'm doing that I'm DREADING because of the history and file review

ah well. at least I have legos tonight.

Reactions: 2 users
this hurts because me. freaking. too. I have 3 more next week too, but some of those are super fast at least. there are 5 I'm doing that I'm DREADING because of the history and file review

ah well. at least I have legos tonight.
What’s worse is that no one will ever read the history and file review.

I like my Fridays because it involves German beer, and typically some grilling out by our pool, and now that we just installed a heating system, we can use the pool year-around. I also got to work from home yesterday....so that was nice.
What kind of heating system? We have a new solar one, works nicely. I’ve been happy with it.

What kind of heating system? We have a new solar one, works nicely. I’ve been happy with it.
We just installed a Hayward heating system. We just moved into this house and we had to get pay to get a new sub-panel installed to accommodate the heating system. We also had them remove the existing pool system so they could lay about 6 inches of concrete slab to be on par with our two AC units to get the system off the ground, then they put in new plumbing and then put the heater next to the pool system. Funny enough, the pool heater was brand new out of the box; they installed it but couldn't get it to turn on, so they are having a technician from Hayward come out. They think it's something with the motherboard or something like that.

What are your go to German Beers?

My favorites:

1. Weihenstephaner (Original Helles, Vitus, Hefe Weissbier)
2. Hofbrauhaus (Original, Muchner Weisse, Oktoberfestbier, Dunkel).
3. If I am in a pinch, I will settle for Paulaner

My favorites:

1. Weihenstephaner (Original Helles, Vitus, Hefe Weissbier)
2. Hofbrauhaus (Original, Muchner Weisse, Oktoberfestbier, Dunkel).
3. If I am in a pinch, I will settle for Paulaner
Nice list. Can't go wrong with Weihenstephaner. The dive bar we go to after hockey had the pilsner and festbier on tap. Great after-exercise brews. Vitus is a favorite.