Friday thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
It was my birthday last week, and I was gifted my first ever case of COVID. Hasn't been horrible, but still pretty unpleasant. Isolation is pretty boring, though I did finish Forbidden West, and watched some interesting docuseries. The hardest think is trying to reschedule a week and a half worth of testing into a calendar that's booked out 18 months!

I'm about 80% done, been slow going and I've been finishing up some side quests before getting back to main story mode.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm about 80% done, been slow going and I've been finishing up some side quests before getting back to main story mode.
Yeah- I milked the side quests so I could make it last longer. I enjoyed the game. Still have some rebel camps to clear and gear upgrade stuff I can do. I downloaded Final Fantasy VII, so it might be time to move on...

Reactions: 1 user
Taking it easy this weekend. Lost my dad last week and so I’m taking the weekend and next week off. One thing that stinks is I have a high proportion of clients with grief issues on my caseload. Going to be a challenge to work with something that butts up against what I’m going through. This psychologist thing can be tough!

Thinking about getting away for a few days next week to clear my head, but I’m not sure where to go. We’ll see.

• Care
Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
It was my birthday last week, and I was gifted my first ever case of COVID. Hasn't been horrible, but still pretty unpleasant. Isolation is pretty boring, though I did finish Forbidden West, and watched some interesting docuseries. The hardest think is trying to reschedule a week and a half worth of testing into a calendar that's booked out 18 months!
Tis' my greatest fear...

Just got back from an out of town IME. Easy report. Sportsball tonight. Fancy drinks and dinner w/friends tomorrow. Different sportsball Sunday. Sprinkle in a lot of IME report writing in between there. At some point I need to drop the last month's clinical billing as well.

I somehow got into four fantasy football leagues this year, so I’ll be prepping for drafts. This was the first week of classes, so hoping to get some solid research time in before everything picks up.

End of first week back after 2 weeks out with COVID. 5 assessments (and finished all reports), plus wrote 4 more reports that indidnt get to while out. Enjoying a Manhattan now, probably order myself a pizza and watch some preseason football tonight (wife working this evening). House cleaning and maybe dinner out tomorrow. Annual fishing trip with friends next weekend, so tying up some flies is also on the schedule for this weekend.

Got a couple of e-bikes and went riding quite a bit this weekend. Lots of fun! Commuted with it on Friday and my 12 minute commute by car only took 14 so plan on using it whenever the weather permits. Good exercise and stress reducer and save money on fuel and minimize environmental impact. Talk about win win.

Reactions: 3 users
Got a couple of e-bikes and went riding quite a bit this weekend. Lots of fun! Commuted with it on Friday and my 12 minute commute by car only took 14 so plan on using it whenever the weather permits. Good exercise and stress reducer and save money on fuel and minimize environmental impact. Talk about win win.
Please please please wear a helmet, high vis vest (nerdy but worth it, I dont use one), front and back blinky lights. Also, consider getting some nice waterproof panniers to put your stuff and enjoy that sucker! I also highly suggest a nice handle bar mounted cup holder and yet with mag slider lid for a beveragino of your choice. Also, a flat will happen. I higly suggest learning how to change a bike tire (dont waste time with a pump, get a genuine innovations co2 inflator) and getting a slime tube or something similar.

Reactions: 1 users
Please please please wear a helmet, high vis vest (nerdy but worth it, I dont use one), front and back blinky lights. Also, consider getting some nice waterproof panniers to put your stuff and enjoy that sucker! I also highly suggest a nice handle bar mounted cup holder and yet with mag slider lid for a beveragino of your choice. Also, a flat will happen. I higly suggest learning how to change a bike tire (dont waste time with a pump, get a genuine innovations co2 inflator) and getting a slime tube or something similar.
Definitely wearing a helmet and a high vis jacket. Panniers are on the way. Fortunately I can avoid busy roads for most of the commute so pretty safe. The cup holder is not a bad idea, I'll look into that as well as the inflator and slime tube. Never heard of that. My tires are supposed to be puncture resistant with some type of gel inside of them or something.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's the Friday before a long weekend. Just leaving this here in case anyone celebrates a bit too much and indulges in a bad idea. Looking at you @PsyDr .

Hooper Island Lighthouse
I was intrigued, until I saw that I can’t live there. After a heavy week of dealing with patients, living in a lighthouse surrounded by water doesn’t seem like too bad an idea to me and I haven’t even been indulging.

Anyone doing anything interesting this weekend? I have some Saturday clients and then we might go apple picking, but that’s about all the excitement here. Probably explains why I’m reading SDN on a Friday night!
M wife is doing goat yoga tomorrow with our friend who is also a psychologist. I’m going to be enjoying the heck out of my new e-bike which is my newest obsession and I think some apple picking might be in order too if any of the local trees have ripe fruit yet. Regardless, no work for me! I avoid weekend work like the plague.

It’s the first football Sunday of the year!!!!!!

Baby goat yoga tomorrow. My wife has done it with a friend a couple of times and now is insisting I go. I’d rather be on my new e-bike but wit the amount of stress our new business has brought to her, I’ll go play with baby goats.

It's been a somewhat eventful week.

I had a four day weekend... On Tuesday, I was chilling in my bed and heard something trying to get in through our dog door. I hop up and grab the self-defense device I keep very high up, thinking someone is about to break in. Our dumb aussie labradoodle chased it away. Then I heard some scurrying in our ceiling. So I pop a vent, push the duct out the way and see some rodent feces. Roof rats! Yuck. So I call a corporate exterminator and get quoted $1200 to set up traps and "seal" the attic - which involves stapling some mesh over a couple vents. We decided to call a smaller pest control company located in the nearby gayborhood. They show up the next day at 4pm and I get this text from my wife that says "I like rainbow pest control." I head home just as they're finishing up, and it's owned and operated by a lovely couple - one being a trans woman - who was fabulous. They quoted us $95 to get started and $75 a month for all the pest control. They also figured out how they're getting in. They told me to get a pole saw (ryobi) and to trim a mulberry tree that has branches resting on the power line that feeds from the alley to our room. Apparently, they're great tightrope walkers. They said our attic was pretty well sealed - and I just need to get some chicken wire and seal some vents with a staple gun this weekend. Easy peasy.

cancelling tomorrow's purple mermaid themed b-day party for our 4-year-old and instead riding out the first colds of the academic year...both our kids have 101+ fevers :(

Counter offer: "I'm having a party where the adults to wear undersized mermaid costumes"

• Hmm
Going to see comedian Steven Wright tonight. Co-worker and I have had tickets for 2 years- show has been canvelled twice due to Covid concerns. House/yard stuff tomorrow. Visiting daughter at college Sunday, and my ice hockey league starts Sunday night.

Counter offer: "I'm having a party where the adults to wear undersized mermaid costumes"

It's never the adults you want to be wearing undersized mermaid costumes that show up....unless HBO happens to be shooting your party.
ugly mikey day GIF by Saturday Night Live

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Catching up on work after getting a bit behind last weekend, and of course watching red zone most of Sunday. I managed to go 2-2 in my fantasy leagues week 1, made some decent changes, and excited to see how this round of games go.

One rat is dead. I'll keep y'all updated.

How old are you.... is your name lil' Albert by chance?
My son and I were checking the traps, theyre the kind in the black box, and he said "aww there's a sleeping "cat" in there. Let's be quiet."

Tonight is the yearly faculty recognition dinner, awarding faculty their respective mementos for years of service, beginning with 15 years and then every 5 years beyond. There's about 20 folks being recognized, from 15-45 years. I've never attended the event, but in a tradition starting this year, newly tenured faculty (7 of us) will also receive our fancy robes and funny hats tonight. I never bought my doctoral gown and have used a loaner for the 2 or 3 times/year we put the costumes on. It'll be nice to have my own and I appreciate the gesture from the College, also hope the steak is good.

Reactions: 7 users
First really cool day/evening of the season up here in the northeast. Fire in the Solo Stove (great item!) On the deck. Manhattans for me, Tree House Sap IPA and Downeast ciders for wife. Dogs and baked beans on the grill. I LOVE fall weekends in New England!

• Love
Tonight is the yearly faculty recognition dinner, awarding faculty their respective mementos for years of service, beginning with 15 years and then every 5 years beyond. There's about 20 folks being recognized, from 15-45 years. I've never attended the event, but in a tradition starting this year, newly tenured faculty (7 of us) will also receive our fancy robes and funny hats tonight. I never bought my doctoral gown and have used a loaner for the 2 or 3 times/year we put the costumes on. It'll be nice to have my own and I appreciate the gesture from the College, also hope the steak is good.
Congrats and enjoy!

Watching a certain reality show to laugh at the ridiculously dumb people on there…and that Amen guy makes an appearance. Picturing @WisNeuro having an eye twitch with this guy getting a platform on a major tv show 😆
1664501562447.gif

Watching a certain reality show to laugh at the ridiculously dumb people on there…and that Amen guy makes an appearance. Picturing @WisNeuro having an eye twitch with this guy getting a platform on a major tv show 😆
View attachment 360164
This f'in guy. One of his cronies who directs one of the regional clinics tried to recruit me last year. Finally left me alone when I asked him to send me peer-reviewed citations for the claims that they were making.

This f'in guy. One of his cronies who directs one of the regional clinics tried to recruit me last year. Finally left me alone when I asked him to send me peer-reviewed citations for the claims that they were making.
For 40% of what Amen charges, I'll use crayons to color in an outline of a brain. We can say it's what's going on in their brain.

"ohhh, you have the lighting bolt pattern. It's better than the AC/DC logo, but it's still not as good as the rainbows drawn on the brain pattern. Gonna need a crap ton of adderall."

I'll need to hire a stoner or kindergarten teacher, so I can learn how to say more vague things.

• Haha
For 40% of what Amen charges, I'll use crayons to color in an outline of a brain. We can say it's what's going on in their brain.

"ohhh, you have the lighting bolt pattern. It's better than the AC/DC logo, but it's still not as good as the rainbows drawn on the brain pattern. Gonna need a crap ton of adderall."

I'll need to hire a stoner or kindergarten teacher, so I can learn how to say more vague things.

Make sure to also include the "Follow the Mediterranean diet, sleep well, and exercise" to all of your treatment recommendations like all of the other Amen reports. Crayons are a good idea, I was just going to put MRI images under a spirograph or just put random pins in a LiteBright to show them "Activation patterns."

Make sure to also include the "Follow the Mediterranean diet, sleep well, and exercise" to all of your treatment recommendations like all of the other Amen reports. Crayons are a good idea, I was just going to put MRI images under a spirograph or just put random pins in a LiteBright to show them "Activation patterns."
“Sleep, diet, and exercise? Thank you Dr. Amen, I would have never guessed that those would help me function better.”
Is there a part of the brain that lights up when you are getting scammed?

“Sleep, diet, and exercise? Thank you Dr. Amen, I would have never guessed that those would help me function better.”
Is there a part of the brain that lights up when you are getting scammed?

Do you carry "sleep, diet, exercise" in pill form? Chewable gummies are preferred, I hate swallowing capsules.

• Haha
I think Miley Cyrus plugged this dude hard on a Joe Rogan podcast. Party in the USA still slaps tho.

Also, it’s pumpkin beer season! I’m not a big drinker. But there is just something about pumpkin beer. Last year, I hardly had any out of solitary for my v preggo baby mama. I just picked up a nitro pumpkin ale and a couple barrel aged ones. I’m so basic.

I celebrated my new job by getting linen sheets. I can never go back. I am a hot sleeper, and it was life-changing. Highly recommend.

I celebrated my new job by getting linen sheets. I can never go back. I am a hot sleeper, and it was life-changing. Highly recommend.
I live in a very hot climate - like we're still cracking the mid 90s. I love the feel of linen. But, in the summer, we use percale which has a looser knit and is thinner. Less luxurious feeling than linen. I can't wait for our three months when a duvet makes sense!

But, I've heard wondrous things about the bed jet. It's basically an ac unit for the bed.

Yeah, I love my cotton sheets for summer. It dropped below 50 briefly, and my husband is now ready for flannel. This was my compromise.

Last edited:
Friday is close enough.

My office is hospital gray/brown. How do I make it feel less unappealing? Everything I can think of seems to be a fire hazard or tripping risk.