Friends that make fun of you for being on SDN?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RySerr21

i aint kinda hot Im sauna
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anybody else have friends or family that make fun of you for being on SDN?? my friends always give me crap for being on here (many of whom are pre meds themselves). they always ask what i'm doin and answer their own question by saying "are you on the nerd site?" or they ask "what are the nerds sayin today?"

its kind of funny...but at the same time kind of irritating. especially since they dont spend their time doing anything better (aka playing guitar hero or til 4 in the morning and then sleeping in til 3 in the afternoon). i'm just like...dude back off i enjoy the site and its actually really useful so leave me alone...ya know?

Members don't see this ad.

They hate on me for it until they have a question that I know the answer to because it's a very useful resource.

My entire Kaplan MCAT prep class one day was making fun of online forums. Sadly, only 1 person besides myself gained admission (to my current knowledge).... They were laughing hysterically at "mods" and things that are associated with forums. If they only knew how helpful SDN can be. I guess the joke is on them....

Members don't see this ad :)
My entire Kaplan MCAT prep class one day was making fun of online forums. Sadly, only 1 person besides myself gained admission (to my current knowledge).... They were laughing hysterically at "mods" and things that are associated with forums. If they only knew how helpful SDN can be. I guess the joke is on them....

kind of off topic...but how do you become a mod?

You have to make a deposit/check payable to Fabu1ous in the amount of $1k... to hold your spot yah know :D

Anybody else have friends or family that make fun of you for being on SDN?? my friends always give me crap for being on here (many of whom are pre meds themselves). they always ask what i'm doin and answer their own question by saying "are you on the nerd site?" or they ask "what are the nerds sayin today?"

its kind of funny...but at the same time kind of irritating. especially since they dont spend their time doing anything better (aka playing guitar hero or til 4 in the morning and then sleeping in til 3 in the afternoon). i'm just like...dude back off i enjoy the site and its actually really useful so leave me alone...ya know?

I used to play MMOs at the top level in highschool, so my friends know all about how nerdy I am haha. Then again, they are all pretty nerdy themselves.

One time I had to tell them I was going to see my grandma (so I could stay at home and play computer games). They still bring that up every once in awhile.

You also need to shadow a mod and have some decent clinical experience. It's not an official pre-requisite, but competition for mod positions has become so intense that it is virtually required nowadays (unless your your post count is in the top 98 percentile).

Just wait until you get into med school, and they don't.

Then, when they give you crap about being on that "nerd site," just calmly say "Well, they have some great tips about how to deal with the first year of med school, and it gives me a chance to meet some of my future classmates. You should check it out for that reaso...."

Then say, "Oh, yeah...NOT AN ISSUE FOR YOU NOW, IS IT? Oops. Well, it'll be something to keep in mind when...uh...IF...you get in some day." Then smirk, and go back to browsing the forums. :D

(I know. That's mean. But oh well.)

You'll still get made fun of for it once med school starts. I basically try to keep my head down whenever the topic comes up and cringe that I didn't come up with a clever user name that people couldn't figure out!!! :laugh:

I hate myself sometimes for being a member of this site ... others don't usually comment though.

A lot of times, I get made fun of for being too awesome.

Members don't see this ad :)
A lot of people make fun of forums, because they don't think that the forums contain useful information. In some cases that can be true, but I find everything on SDN to be valuable. A lot of the time I'll tell my girlfriend something, and she'll ask me where I read it...and I'll tell her on a forum. She doesn't think that is a good enough source.

ANother Mod has to die...usually by assassination
fatgirl.jpg

it's all about the thong

good lord. That picture is disturbing. My eyes. My eyes. :scared: Make it stop.

Um...my friends ARE on SDN....
::waves::

Hiya fifi :D. I'm with her. some of my good friends right now I've met around here. Everyone is interested in the same thing, and are acheiving the same goals and stuff. And they are cool as ****.

::waves::

Hiya fifi :D. I'm with her. some of my good friends right now I've met around here. Everyone is interested in the same thing, and are acheiving the same goals and stuff. And they are cool as ****.

AND WE'RE GOING TO DISNEY WORLD! OMG!

You also need to shadow a mod and have some decent clinical experience. It's not an official pre-requisite, but competition for mod positions has become so intense that it is virtually required nowadays (unless your your post count is in the top 98 percentile).

: )

long live SDN!!! :laugh:

ANother Mod has to die...usually by assassination

It was an uneventful day, cloudy with a constant haze in the background. I was walking up to my door after a long tiresome day when I noticed 3 men in black suits, black ties, and dark mirrored sunglasses standing in my doorway. They said they were from the AOA, subdivision of Associazione Dottore Studente and presented me with a once in a lifetime offer.

After a 30-second attempted beat-down by former gunners turned rejected medical school applicants, I arose from the pile of bodies renewed and accepted into this new group. To date, I still bear the scars on my shoulder and thigh, but it is nothing like the injuries I inflicted on those who dare challenge the sacredness that is SDN.

To those who dare laugh at your association with SDN - let them laugh. Just let them laugh. Let's see how long they laugh.

My girlfriend frequently asks me if I am on "Stupid Doctor Network" again

My ex-fiance used to bust on me about it all the time. That's why I had her killed. :)

My current gal-pal is neutral on it but always is amazed how i know so many answers about stuff and i usually cite SDN... or I claim super psychosexual powers... she tends to believe the former.

I know a few people in my class that are posters/lurkers on SDN. I HOPE that commander isn't really in my class otherwise I have lost faith in PCOM admissions...

Ditto!

Wow, she sounds like a real peach. :cool:

I think she just gets annoyed when we are sitting in the same room and i am on SDN instead of spending time with her

I think she just gets annoyed when we are sitting in the same room and i am on SDN instead of spending time with her

:laugh: Okay I forgive her. She is justified. ;)

They're just jealous, because I've been chatting online with babes all day.

TT and PrionsRbad, make fun of me as if it were a religious exercise. hehehe

Hey look, it's another one of my friends! :hello:;)

Yep! Definitely! :D I think we should get one of those friendship necklaces where you get one half and I get the other. ;)

i know i am a year behind you all and dont have the cool acceptance to med school yet.....but can i be friends with you all too!?!?! :laugh::banana::biglove:

i know i am a year behind you all and dont have the cool acceptance to med school yet.....but can i be friends with you all too!?!?! :laugh::banana::biglove:

Of course you can be part of the BFF club. ;)

Yep! Definitely! :D I think we should get one of those friendship necklaces where you get one half and I get the other. ;)

I'll be waiting for my half of the necklace in the mail!:D

And you wonder why they make fun of you...

:smuggrin:

Some of my pre-med friends think it's funny. Most of my other friends are already on car forums. This makes SDN just another forum to them dedicated to a common interest. Forums sure help when somethings wrong with your car and you're absolutely clueless! It's also great to talk to people that share the same struggle as you do. Also, nowadays there's just about a forum for anything you can think of.

I was just thinking, I bet all your friends that make fun of you are on facebook.... :rolleyes:

We can post on SDN if we want to
We can leave your friends behind
Cause your friends don't post on SDN
And if they don't post on SDN, well
They're no friends of mine