From consulting back to med school -- help with school list

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

arcticNE

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Cutting details out for confidentiality, sorry

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I think your app is great; the GPA is on the lower side for the top schools, but you should be able to work with it coming from an Ivy. For your out of state, I'd replace Georgetown and Brown with something else, like UVa or Case Western. Brown favors from their BS/MD program a lot and Georgetown gets a crap load of apps. Also look into Drexel/Temple is possible safeties.

It'll be very important to have your reasons for switching careers solidified.

You're on a publication and that's all that matters for research. Great app overall. Your list is a little top-heavy, though.

I disagree that you should replace GW and Brown with higher-end schools (Case's median MCAT is a 36 I think) but you still should replace them...maybe Virginia Tech, Tufts, Loyola for safer options?

Members don't see this ad :)
With your numbers and ECs, nothing wrong with aiming high!
Goro suggests:
SUNY Upstate
Hofstra
Vanderbilt
Northwestern
U VT
Loyola
USC
Tulane
U Miami
U CO
Rowan
U Cincy
U Toledo

• In-state Public: Buffalo / Downstate / Stony Brook
  • In-state Private: Cornell / Columbia / NYU / Sinai / Einstein
  • Out-of-state with In-range Stats: Duke / Emory / Pitt / Georgetown / Dartmouth / Brown

Stats just average for the Harvard/Hopkins set, but good ECs -- may get an interview. List otherwise OK, a bit top heavy but should get some love somewhere.

Last edited:
Deleted post -- sorry!

Last edited:
I know the difference is only 0.04, but the psychological difference between 3.69 and 3.73 may seem big to an adcom, especially at the highest-stat schools.
Not really. You will be compared to others with similar stats (of which there will be many). Most of the attention will shift to the evaluation of core personal qualities.

When did you submit your app and when were you verified?

Thanks @gyngyn , that's good to hear! My concern was that being officially below 3.7 would screen me out at some places or be seen as much "worse" than 3.73. Don't want to disadvantage myself anymore than I already have with fairly low GPA given my list.

GPA screens are much lower than 3.7, you don't have to worry about this.

Though your GPA is officially below the 10th percentile for Harvard (3.73) and Hopkins (3.7).

Thinking of adding BU and/or Tufts (primarily given Boston location, but also their clear commitments to the underserved and slightly more in-range stats given my top heavy list). I've heard they have a reputation of screening out "overqualified" applicants though, and just wanted to get your perspectives on whether or not I fall into that bucket? (My guess is no, given my lower GPA.)
Schools do not screen out "over-qualified" students. They prioritize students in each statistical stratum to maximixe efficiency while sampling enough in each group to produce the desired class size.

Reactions: 1 user
Could you recommend a list of schools. NY resident. GPA 3.4 overall gpa, at top 10 liberal arts school, 3.79 at Post-Bacc, 30 Mcat, 11 11 and 8 on the verbal, collegiate lacrosse player, research assistant at hospital, 200 hours shadowing and 200 hours volunteering at hospital. Thanks

With your numbers and ECs, nothing wrong with aiming high!
Goro suggests:
SUNY Upstate
Hofstra
Vanderbilt
Northwestern
U VT
Loyola
USC
Tulane
U Miami
U CO
Rowan
U Cincy
U Toledo

• In-state Public: Buffalo / Downstate / Stony Brook
  • In-state Private: Cornell / Columbia / NYU / Sinai / Einstein
  • Out-of-state with In-range Stats: Duke / Emory / Pitt / Georgetown / Dartmouth / Brown

Hi, Could you please recommend medical schools? 3.5 overall gpa, top 10 liberal arts college, 3.79 post bacc gpa, collegiate lacrosse player. Research assistant, 200 hours of shadowing, volunteer at hospital at family atrium.

Hi, Could you please recommend medical schools? 3.5 overall gpa, top 10 liberal arts college, 3.79 post bacc gpa, collegiate lacrosse player. Research assistant, 200 hours of shadowing, volunteer at hospital at family atrium.
Medlax,
Please start your own thread to get the best response for your personal situation, rather than sidetracking someone else's thread. Thanks

Reactions: 1 users
Medlax,
Please start your own thread to get the best response for your personal situation, rather than sidetracking someone else's thread. Thanks
I am new. How do I do this?

I am new. How do I do this?
Return to the main What are My Chances Forum. Read the second sticky that says, "Please read before Posting." When you're done, return to the main WAMC page and look for the button in the top right hand corner that says "Post New thread." It will open a window for you to type your information and questions. Good Luck.