From engineering physics to general physics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

brui

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a nontrad currently taking the first course (mechanics and energy) in an engineering physics series. I'm keeping up (barely) and have heard rough things about the courses that follow. I'd like to finish the class and then switch over to general physics w/ calc, but noticed my school won't offer gen physics 2 w/ calc again until next spring. I was aiming to submit my apps as early as possible, so I don't think I'll be able to wait to take the course. Would it be better for me to take:

1) General physics 1 w/ calc, then general physics 2 w/ algebra
2) General physics 1 and 2 both w/ algebra

Also, would admissions look down on me switching from engineering physics to general physics? Especially in option 1, if every semester I take an easier physics class? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I'll voice an unpopular opinion (here) that it's good to take challenging courses when available (calc-based physics being a prime example), it'll help you be a better thinker, problem solver, future physician etc. And in this case, it's "safe" against your GPA because it won't be on your initial application (if I'm understanding your post correctly).

Reactions: 1 users
Calculus is actually one of my stronger subjects, which is why I'm interested in taking calc-based physics. I think I'd be able to get an A, but I really would like to finish all my prereqs before submitting applications! Need that GPA to be as high as possible.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'll voice an unpopular opinion (here) that it's good to take challenging courses when available (calc-based physics being a prime example), it'll help you be a better thinker, problem solver, future physician etc. And in this case, it's "safe" against your GPA because it won't be on your initial application (if I'm understanding your post correctly).

Do you have a single study to back up this opinion? I've been staring at medical school admissions policies and trends for 12 years and I have never seen one shred of evidence to prove that calculus based physics is beneficial to people hoping to get into medical school. Calc based physics generally requires two terms of calculus and it forces the student to compete for grades with the biggest nerds on campus.

Do you have a single study to back up this opinion? I've been staring at medical school admissions policies and trends for 12 years and I have never seen one shred of evidence to prove that calculus based physics is beneficial to people hoping to get into medical school. Calc based physics generally requires two terms of calculus and it forces the student to compete for grades with the biggest nerds on campus.

Well, as I said, it's an opinion. And I recognize it's unpopular.

And no, you're mischaracterizing or misinterpreting what I said. Calc-based physics specifically may not have an explicit effect that you can tease out, and not just for getting "into medical school." What I said was that taking challenging classes (e.g. calc-based physics) on the whole will help you be a better thinker, problem solver, physician etc. (and maybe as a byproduct help you "get into medical school" as you develop different skills that benefit you in other classes or research for example, but I didn't and won't make that claim). Premeds often eschew more challenging courses to spare their GPA. At the individual class level, this is probably fine, but once it becomes a pattern it definitely can affect development as a "better thinker, problem solver, physician etc."

In this case, OP could in theory take the calc-based physics in the spring and still take the MCAT and apply early. I agree with gonnif it's generally not a good idea to take the MCAT without the course but it's not so black and white like that in the case of the OP, who is a nontrad, who has probably learned it before and could brush up with a review book. The point is moot if OP is applying to this upcoming cycle, I can't tell.

By the way, calling those students the "biggest nerds" feels a bit derogatory. We are all nerds here in some way, proudly.

Reactions: 1 user

I majored in math, so I guess that makes me one of the biggest nerds on campus.

Reactions: 1 user
Well, as I said, it's an opinion. And I recognize it's unpopular.

And no, you're mischaracterizing or misinterpreting what I said. Calc-based physics specifically may not have an explicit effect that you can tease out, and not just for getting "into medical school." What I said was that taking challenging classes (e.g. calc-based physics) on the whole will help you be a better thinker, problem solver, physician etc. (and maybe as a byproduct help you "get into medical school" as you develop different skills that benefit you in other classes or research for example, but I didn't and won't make that claim). Premeds often eschew more challenging courses to spare their GPA. At the individual class level, this is probably fine, but once it becomes a pattern it definitely can affect development as a "better thinker, problem solver, physician etc."

In this case, OP could in theory take the calc-based physics in the spring and still take the MCAT and apply early. I agree with gonnif it's generally not a good idea to take the MCAT without the course but it's not so black and white like that in the case of the OP, who is a nontrad, who has probably learned it before and could brush up with a review book. The point is moot if OP is applying to this upcoming cycle, I can't tell.

By the way, calling those students the "biggest nerds" feels a bit derogatory. We are all nerds here in some way, proudly.

Do you have a shred of evidence to support any of these statements? The sad fact is that medical school admissions offices generally do not fly speck transcripts to determine who had the toughest course load. Approximately 35% of the people getting into medical school aren't even science majors.

Tough classes and tough majors won't get get your foot in the med school door. A high GPA will. The OP is trying to get into medical school. He's not trying to become the second coming of Leonardo Da Vinci.

Do you have a shred of evidence to support any of these statements? The sad fact is that medical school admissions offices generally do not fly speck transcripts to determine who had the toughest course load. Approximately 35% of the people getting into medical school aren't even science majors.

Tough classes and tough majors won't get get your foot in the med school door. A high GPA will. The OP is trying to get into medical school. He's not trying to become the second coming of Leonardo Da Vinci.

The OP likes calculus, it's up to them. Again, I didn't make the claim that it helps with admissions. Not everything has to be about having a 4.0, and I don't think that's a good mindset to cultivate for future patient care.

Personal, unpopular, opinion.