Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi there.
I've just started working as a kennel tech at a local cat hospital as part of my grand master plan for getting into vet school. I'm in the second year of pre-ved med and planning to apply for 2006. Anyone else where I'm at?
So, uh, discuss. 😀
How about footwear? Dealing with other staff members, ie telling them your future plans, current school stuff, ect.? How you start to wonder how many times you've washed the same g*d damn towels in a week? Crazy animals and crazier owners?
To help start off, I watched my first euthanization today. Not ever, I had a pet cat that was euthanized, but in a work setting. This really cute Rex cat came in with tonns of fluid in his lungs (I got to see the xray) and was put down. I'm blanking on what he had, but he was pretty far gone. Most of the techs are great about taking a moment to show me what's going on, explaning current cases and such. A few are not, but I understand that it gets kinda busy.
For people who are applying for vet school, what animal experiance are you getting to beef up your application and (most importantly, IMO) ensure that this is a career you want?
I've just started working as a kennel tech at a local cat hospital as part of my grand master plan for getting into vet school. I'm in the second year of pre-ved med and planning to apply for 2006. Anyone else where I'm at?
So, uh, discuss. 😀
How about footwear? Dealing with other staff members, ie telling them your future plans, current school stuff, ect.? How you start to wonder how many times you've washed the same g*d damn towels in a week? Crazy animals and crazier owners?
To help start off, I watched my first euthanization today. Not ever, I had a pet cat that was euthanized, but in a work setting. This really cute Rex cat came in with tonns of fluid in his lungs (I got to see the xray) and was put down. I'm blanking on what he had, but he was pretty far gone. Most of the techs are great about taking a moment to show me what's going on, explaning current cases and such. A few are not, but I understand that it gets kinda busy.
For people who are applying for vet school, what animal experiance are you getting to beef up your application and (most importantly, IMO) ensure that this is a career you want?
But they really can teach you a lot. They will be different personalities as well. Some vet techs I worked with went out of their way to teach me stuff, others just wanted me to stay out of their way. Just learn who is who and hang out with the cools ones.
(my apologizes for the graphic nature of the barfing smilie
. Hopefully if they ask, I'll be able to explain myself this way. Anyone else have expierence with this?