From the Bottom, Up! Clinic experiances..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

electric

Smutty Goodness
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there.

I've just started working as a kennel tech at a local cat hospital as part of my grand master plan for getting into vet school. I'm in the second year of pre-ved med and planning to apply for 2006. Anyone else where I'm at?

So, uh, discuss. :D

How about footwear? Dealing with other staff members, ie telling them your future plans, current school stuff, ect.? How you start to wonder how many times you've washed the same g*d damn towels in a week? Crazy animals and crazier owners?

To help start off, I watched my first euthanization today. Not ever, I had a pet cat that was euthanized, but in a work setting. This really cute Rex cat came in with tonns of fluid in his lungs (I got to see the xray) and was put down. I'm blanking on what he had, but he was pretty far gone. Most of the techs are great about taking a moment to show me what's going on, explaning current cases and such. A few are not, but I understand that it gets kinda busy.

For people who are applying for vet school, what animal experiance are you getting to beef up your application and (most importantly, IMO) ensure that this is a career you want?

Members don't see this ad.

Kennel tech! Best job in the world! Then again I've only really had two kinds of jobs, that and working bindery in a print shop. I've worked for three vet clinics as a kennel tech and one of those I was more of a vet assistant. I can't even begin to tell you all of the experiences you'll have. Euthanasia is probably the hardest though it is harder when someone wants to euthanize a completely healthy animal, but those don't happen too often and some vets will refuse. One of the best is seeing a pet recover from a serious problems. And there's so much in between.

I never had to have any special foot wear requirements except just closed toed tennis shoes and boots when I worked at a vet that cared for horses. I did have to have a scrub top for two clinics though, at one they provided it at the other I had to buy my own. I didn't mind cause it's real cute and I still have it. Learn as much as you can from other workers, that's one thing I wish I had done more. I just wanted to hang out with the animals, I didn't care about the people hanging around there :laugh: But they really can teach you a lot. They will be different personalities as well. Some vet techs I worked with went out of their way to teach me stuff, others just wanted me to stay out of their way. Just learn who is who and hang out with the cools ones. :) Laundry, laundry, and always more laundry. That will never end. Do you have to wash dishes too? I'm amazed how some animals can get their bowls so dirty and stuck on hard in less than a day :eek: Loved the crazy animals, they are the best . . . didn't have to deal much with crazy owners, the vets pretty much took care of them.

I'm applying for vet school right now (AGH WHAT A PAIN) but it's not too bad just seems to come so quickly. I really don't feel like I've done that much variety of working with animals. I of course worked at the different vet clinics with animals from cats and dogs, to horses and goats, to birds and various rodents. I also had horse back riding lessons that also taught me about caring for horses (yep, I can actually put that down as animal experience) and I fostered some puppies for a shelter. You can volunteer at shelters or foster if you can, get involved in some kind of club for cats, dogs, horses, whatever you are interested in, really anything that you can do that involves animals and is some kind of official organization or business. You could also talk to any professors in the science department and ask if they would like some assistance helping them with research they are currently doing. You probably won't get paid, but it definiately looks good on an application that you aren't just into the hands on "fun" experience, but are also willing to do extra research which isn't always as much fun.

Wow, I think that's the longest post I've made. I guess I should stop rambling now, hope I helped a bit though.

I've been working at a vets office for the past year. I work as a receptionist. I love it so much. My duties include, obviously answering phones, making appointments, and checking people in and out, but you do have to know a lot about vet med because people call up and ask you a lot of questions. I have learned so much in the past year. I also do nail trims, I can give shots, I can take out sutures, and I also draw up vaccines for the doctor when patients come in. I don't have to clean anything which is nice. We only have one tech where I work and she is totally willing to teach me anything. The doctor is really cool too. He lets me observe surgeries and euthanaisas and lets me ask as many questions as I want. I wear scrubs to work and the only requirement they have about foot wear is closed toed shoes. I like to wear running shoes because I have found them to be the most comfortable. I have high arches so I need the support. Advice about applying to vet school: get a letter of recommendation from your vet. That will help big time. Any other questions you have don't be afraid ask. I'll be happy to answer any questions you have.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yay! Great replies, keep'em comming!

I guess when I mentioned shoes, I meant more along the lines of what works best for comfort. My feet have been just killing me. I've gotten some really good insoles, I'm hoping this will help. One of the techs wears some sort of runner that she got at a nursing supply store that she just loves.

We have to buy our own scrubs, which wasn't too expensive. And we get to pick whatever type we want. I got two tops and a pair of pants right away, one with a really cute (but yes, a little dorky) cat print.

Working with the animals that are in kennels for most of the day has made me start thinking about possible ideas for enrichment. Most of these animals are healthy, they're just being boarded at the clinic, so they tend to get bored. I'd like to make some suggestions, but so far I've only come up with the idea of getting a bird feeder for the window that the cats can see out of. Any other ideas? What do you do for your own cats?

At the ones I worked for, I think they all provided toys like balls with bells in them for the cats to play with. Sometimes we would hang leashes on their kennel doors so that they would hang down and the cats could bat them. At the last clinic I worked for we had stuffed animals for the dogs and various kinds of chew toys. The cats had big cages, scratching posts and they were in a seperate room with a screen-door so that you could see in before you went in, and we would let them take turns being out in the room where they could look out the window and roam around a bit more (I know this isn't possible at most places but it was nice to have it like that there.) It's hard to find boredom-relieving activities for caged animals, as many knowledgable zoo worker will tell you.

There are some really great clogs that are comfortable, too. I know Ariat has some good ones. I'm looking around to buy a pair for myself. We spend a lot of time on our feet in anatomy lab. :) Something waterproof or water resistant is ideal.

Or if you prefer tennis shoes, get the gel inserts. Those are comfy, too.

You can start talking to the vet schools you're interested in now. Get to know the people in the admissions office, they can be very helpful!

Wow, totally crazy morning today!

Not only did I get to do a tube feeding on a cat (really sick guy, had a mass about 1/2 the size of my fist removed from his back), but I got to restrain a cat while the vet put in the decather. Sounds like really severe heart trouble... the cat isn't even holding his head up as she's trying to get the decather in. While she's doing this, I realize the cat hasn't breathed for a bit. I mention that just as the cat starts breathing again. The vet wasn't suprised, this cat was pretty far gone but the owners really don't want to euthanize.

I know the term client is used for the owners, and patient for the animal, but how do you describe the relationship between the animal and the person? Owner seems, well, cold. And parent, as in Fluffy's mommy, just seems odd and slightly demented. Any thoughts?

On a dog forum that I'm part of, a lot of times we call an owner the alpha but that confuses people who don't know what we are talking about and it isn't always true that the owner is the alpha. :) I guess I usually just say owner, doesn't seem too cold to me. Another term I have heard used is guardian.

HeartSong said:
On a dog forum that I'm part of, a lot of times we call an owner the alpha but that confuses people who don't know what we are talking about and it isn't always true that the owner is the alpha. :) I guess I usually just say owner, doesn't seem too cold to me. Another term I have heard used is guardian.

LOL! I can just imagine how bizarre that conversation would be:

A: Well, Spot's alpha came in today to pick him up.

B: You think he's the alpha?! I totally saw Spot humping that guy's leg. There is no way he's the alpha. :laugh:

Ect......

I like guardian, but owner is so much quicker. Eh, what can you do.

electric said:
I know the term client is used for the owners, and patient for the animal, but how do you describe the relationship between the animal and the person? Owner seems, well, cold. And parent, as in Fluffy's mommy, just seems odd and slightly demented. Any thoughts?

I use "guardian". I don't have a problem with the term "pet", but "owner" creeps me out. I own my car, but not my animals. The word "owner" doesn't begin to do justice to the human-animal bond.

I use "guardian". I don't have a problem with the term "pet", but "owner" creeps me out. I own my car, but not my animals. The word "owner" doesn't begin to do justice to the human-animal bond.

Something about "owner" is a bit distasteful for me, as well, but when people refer to themselves as their pet's "mommy" that really skeeves me out.

Wish there were a term somewhere inbetween that could actually do justice to the bond without conjuring images of women giving birth to litters of kittens... :barf: (my apologizes for the graphic nature of the barfing smilie :) )

Long ago and far away I started as a kennel tech in a very small hospital. The very first day a pup died from parvo in my arms. Only a few weeks into it and the only other tech that worked there had to leave. Before I knew it I was promoted and it has all been up hill from there. I very quickly learned how to monitor anesthesia, do dentals, draw blood, place IV catheters, cystos, run lab work etc. I think I was just in the right place at the right time. I also had someone who was willing to teach me and needed to teach me everything fast. After acquiring those skills, I was able to apply for tech positions instead of kennel when I moved on up.

What I noticed is that in order to move up and be taught from the ground up I needed to be in a small one on one environment to get the best benefit. The Dr. and I were always in the same vicinity so he was basically "forced" to answer my questions and had to call on me when he needed a hand.

Once I got to the bigger hospitals I realized that I hardly ever saw the kennel people at all and the Dr.'s sure did not. It was kind of unfair because I knew there were people there who wanted to learn more, but nobody had the time or took the time to teach them. It was very very hard for these kennel techs to move up even though many were very capable.

Other animal experiences, volunteered at a wildlife shelter and wildlife park, worked as an emergency veterinary technician, surgery assistant, kennel, receptionist etc. I think the fact that I did not have that much large animal vet experience went against me a bit but I did have some.

The gel inserts from Dr. Scholes saved my back...they really are the best in any shoe. Def. start taking care of your feet now you will be on them a long time.

Good luck!

-Christina
Murdoch 2009

I know what you mean - but I would avoid using the term "guardian" once I am a veterinarian for legal reasons.

Position Statement
The Oregon Veterinary Medical Association supports maintaining the current terminology of “ownership” as it pertains to the relationship of humans to animals in the state of Oregon.

Background
While the OVMA appreciates the term “guardian” may reflect current emotional and social trends of the human relationship with animals in our society, the legal ramifications of making such a change in terminology from “owner” to “guardian” have far reaching consequences that may not always be in the best interest of animals or society....

An owner, by law, bears full legal responsibility for his or her animal. In the legal sense, an animal is considered personal property, owned and protected by the individual. Such ownership protects a pet from being taken away without due cause, but also places responsibility on the owner to care for his or her animal in a safe and humane manner. An owner is legally responsible for his or her animal’s welfare, protection and actions during its lifetime. A guardian, on the other hand, would have limited or temporary possession of the ward (animal). This may result in the following scenarios:

The guardian not being able to make medical decisions regarding that animal

Third party intervention on how the animal is treated/managed, directed at the guardian and veterinarian.

It may become illegal to buy or sell animals, thus decimating the breeding industry for any animals.

Public safety could be jeopardized since guardians do not have the same legal responsibilities regarding managing the actions of aggressive or dangerous animals.

There could be significant impact on the livestock industry.

Inability to sell/trade animals for breeding or slaughter

Raising animals as an agricultural commodity may be jeopardized

Third party intervention on how the animal is treated/managed may cause lawsuits or liabilities that could impact the economics of the industry

Governmental agencies could possibly face significant costs.

Replacement of all paperwork and posted signs to reflect the change in terminology

Establishment of a system to protect these wards (animals) if a guardian were to fail in his or her duties

Establishment of a system to oversee guardians

Court time and costs associated with a third party lawsuit over the removal of guardianship, where perceived care does not meet the third party’s standards

A change in the status would cause difficulty and lawsuits when local government tries to enforce its animal control and public health regulations, since all city, county and state laws are predicated on the fact that animals are property, albeit a special class of property....

Members don't see this ad :)
heh heh heh, been there, done that, got the holey clothes.

I started out cleaning the stalls (which is like the large animal version of kennel assistant)

I highly advise you to stop calling yourself a tech though, that is the fastest way to po your co-workers (the licensed technicians) Unless and until you get your AS and pass the VTNE, you are not a technician, you are an assistant (I couldn't really care less what you call yourself, I just have seen too many people get yelled at-trying to save you some grief here) It's also important to note on your applications that you don't refer to yourself as a technician, rather an assistant (some interviewers feel very strongly about this issue) even if the hospital you work at refers to non-certified/licensed individuals as technicians if you're in this category-put yourself down as veterinary assistant or "non licensed technician" (although putting the latter would make me nervous) I've seen too many good people get rejected.

Footwear: OR=clogs (keep a spare pair in the locker in case of bloody/dirty surgeries) day to day stuff=sneakers or clogs, depending on my mood and what I'm doing-if I'm running rooms for the orthopod then it's sneakers baby-lots of jogging for lameness exams. If I'm in back doing rads and prepping for surgery, then it's the squishy clogs. God, I could wear those all day long, it's like walking on clouds.

To get experience, you need BREADTH, not DEPTH. They don't care that you've scrubbed in on cat brain surgery (although that might pique your interviewer's interest) they want to know that you've seen the day to day practice nitty-gritty of cats, dogs, pocket pets, maybe some exotics, some food animal (aka ag animal), throw in some camelid, and definatley some equine in there too. They want you to have a little bit of everything, not a lot of one thing.

I would suggest moonlighting at an ER if your hospital would allow it, if not, ask to go observe like one-half shift a week. Also, find a large-animal exclusive but mixed vet (not an equine only doc but one that sees horses and ag/food animals) so you can ride ambulatory rounds with him/her and observe the guts of the practice-you'll be amazed at how much you'll pick up just watching.

I've been a herd health manager on a racehorse breeding farm, show groomed on the national/A circuit level for several horse trainers, worked as a CVT for two specialty clinics (small animal orthopedics, internal medicine, and soft tissue surger), small animal general practice, and also large animal inpatient and ambulatory practice.

Thought for the day: there is something to be said for ambulatory food animal practice. You can just get in your truck and drive away if you had a bad call-if you have a bad call in the inpatient hospital it just follows you around all freaking day (not to mention the interesting/crazy clients know where you work lol)

^^great info!!

You could also talk to any professors in the science department and ask if they would like some assistance helping them with research they are currently doing. You probably won't get paid, but it definiately looks good on an application that you aren't just into the hands on "fun" experience, but are also willing to do extra research which isn't always as much fun.

Just thought I would put in a good word for research expierences. Although research is not for everyone, some people find that they love it (myself included.) You'll never know if you'll find it "fun" unless you try, plus you'll learn so much. I can honestly say research was one of the highlights of my academic career (tied with working at an animal hospital :) )

I highly advise you to stop calling yourself a tech though, that is the fastest way to po your co-workers (the licensed technicians) Unless and until you get your AS and pass the VTNE, you are not a technician, you are an assistant (I couldn't really care less what you call yourself, I just have seen too many people get yelled at-trying to save you some grief here) It's also important to note on your applications that you don't refer to yourself as a technician, rather an assistant (some interviewers feel very strongly about this issue) even if the hospital you work at refers to non-certified/licensed individuals as technicians if you're in this category-put yourself down as veterinary assistant or "non licensed technician" (although putting the latter would make me nervous) I've seen too many good people get rejected.
To get experience, you need BREADTH, not DEPTH. They don't care that you've scrubbed in on cat brain surgery (although that might pique your interviewer's interest) they want to know that you've seen the day to day practice nitty-gritty of cats, dogs, pocket pets, maybe some exotics, some food animal (aka ag animal), throw in some camelid, and definatley some equine in there too. They want you to have a little bit of everything, not a lot of one thing.

I honestly didn't even think about listing my job as something other than a veterinary techinican on VMCAS. In MA, you don't need to be registered to be a vet tech and I was hired as a vet tech and I do everything the techs do. You've got me worried now:scared: . Hopefully if they ask, I'll be able to explain myself this way. Anyone else have expierence with this?

I agree that getting breadth is great, it gives you a wonderful overview of the entire field, however depth is important also (in my opinion.) It shows you can stick with something, gives you a better chance of getting a good/well-informed letter of recommendation from the vet you work with, and you will be given more responcibilities as the vet or head vet tech sees that you are capable. Just a thought...

Lisa

I honestly didn't even think about listing my job as something other than a veterinary techinican on VMCAS. In MA, you don't need to be registered to be a vet tech and I was hired as a vet tech and I do everything the techs do. You've got me worried now:scared: . Hopefully if they ask, I'll be able to explain myself this way. Anyone else have expierence with this?

You should only say your were a tech IF you went to school and became one...aka licensed. Otherwise you are a vet assistant. You can list your responsibilities so that they know what you did, but you can't say your were employed as a tech.

You will get nailed. It's really about the same as saying animal rights and animal welfare are the same thing because "rights" and "welfare" may *seem* to indiacte the same idea on the surface.

You should only say your were a tech IF you went to school and became one...aka licensed. Otherwise you are a vet assistant. You can list your responsibilities so that they know what you did, but you can't say your were employed as a tech.

You will get nailed. It's really about the same as saying animal rights and animal welfare are the same thing because "rights" and "welfare" may *seem* to indiacte the same idea on the surface.

Did you do the same thing when you applied last year, and they gave you trouble about it at your interviews? If so, how did you handle the questions? If not, where did you hear this from? I've already submitted VMCAS, so it's a little late to change it, but it wasn't like I was intentionally trying to decieve the adcoms. I guess honesty will be the best policy in this case (ie. I didn't realize terminology between "tech and assistant" were that important because in the state I work at, non-licenced vet "helpers" can work as techs, etc.)

Lisa

Every state has slightly different requirements as to what needs to be completed to be a registered/liscensed or certified technician.
In Massachusetts, to be a veterinary technician (they are certified) you must pass the VTNE and provide:

Documentation of fulfillment of one of the following:

Degree from a program in veterinary technology accredited by the
American Veterinary Medical Association

Degree from a program in veterinary technology which is not
accredited by the AVMA or a bachelors degree in animal or
biological sciences and one year full time (1500 hours) practical
experience as a veterinary technician

Associate degree in animal or biological sciences and three years
full time (4500 hours) practical experience as a veterinary
technician

Employed five years full time (7500 hours) as a veterinary
technician plus (18) eighteen semester hours (college credits) in
animal or biological sciences

Employed eight years full time (12000 hours) as a veterinary
technician

So, if you haven't fullfilled these requirements (including the VTNE and filed the appropriate paperwork with the state), you are an assistant. You cannot say that you don't have to be a credentialled technician to perform their given duties - you're allowed to do these things as a lay person because no one enforces the state practice act...which is wrong, imho.

::Happy dance:: I just checked over VMCAS and saw that I never actually called myself a vet tech

Did you do the same thing when you applied last year, and they gave you trouble about it at your interviews? If so, how did you handle the questions? If not, where did you hear this from? I've already submitted VMCAS, so it's a little late to change it, but it wasn't like I was intentionally trying to decieve the adcoms. I guess honesty will be the best policy in this case (ie. I didn't realize terminology between "tech and assistant" were that important because in the state I work at, non-licenced vet "helpers" can work as techs, etc.)

No I didn't do this. I do know people that have who got nailed and have heard it from the mouths of adcoms to not make this mistake. Also in one of my interviews they sort of poked to see if they could get me to say I was a tech and asked if I knew the difference.

It doesn't really matter what your state regs are. Some states are open to who does what and others are more strict. In a lot of places it's not required, however AAHA hospitals, academia, etc. will require their techs to be certified and so even though it's not illegal otherwise, there is a difference.

Wow, I never even thought of the difference between Tech and assistant, but I think you are right. We were all just called techs on the job description and I was introduced as a technician that will be helping with your animal. Sometimes we were called assistants, but I never even thought it made a difference. I wonder how many people actually know this or am I one of the last ones to realize?:confused:

I didn't know the difference when I applied and called myself a tech multiple times on VMCAS. I got into all the schools I applied to and no one brought it up...

I didn't know the difference when I applied and called myself a tech multiple times on VMCAS. I got into all the schools I applied to and no one brought it up...

yep, i called myself a vet tech and (even though i applied to schools out of state, and got into three of those out of state ones) no one said a thing. i knew that you could get certified, but didnt think it was necessary in order to call yourself a tech. certainly i wouldnt have called myself a *certified vet tech* if i wasnt, but i still consider myself to have been a vet tech in any case.

yep, i called myself a vet tech and (even though i applied to schools out of state, and got into three of those out of state ones) no one said a thing. i knew that you could get certified, but didnt think it was necessary in order to call yourself a tech. certainly i wouldnt have called myself a *certified vet tech* if i wasnt, but i still consider myself to have been a vet tech in any case.

My guess is that once you graduate and go into practice, if you tell your credentialed techs that you "were a tech" before vet school, you're going to get some eye rolls. You weren't a technician, you were an assistant, regardless of what your individual hospital "let" you do. Staff that work in human hospitals don't call themselves RNs because they're not - they don't have the educational background and they haven't taken the appropriate board exams. Why isn't it the same in the veterinary setting?

Every state has slightly different requirements as to what needs to be completed to be a registered/liscensed or certified technician.
In Massachusetts, to be a veterinary technician (they are certified) you must pass the VTNE and provide:

So, if you haven't fullfilled these requirements (including the VTNE and filed the appropriate paperwork with the state), you are an assistant. You cannot say that you don't have to be a credentialled technician to perform their given duties - you're allowed to do these things as a lay person because no one enforces the state practice act...which is wrong, imho.

Acctually, the laws up her just changed from my understanding. I can look up the date it went into effect tomorrow at work. I was under the impression the law was to change on Jan 1, 2007 but I may be wrong and it may have already changed. Regardless, this is a new development in Mass and untill now the requirments were not anywhere near as strick as to who could take the exam. Previously anyone could sit the exam and if you passed you were and LVT, even without classes or massive hours of work. It is still true here in MA that an assistant can do *most* everything an tech can do. There is little difference between what a tech and assistant can legally do. Most of the distinctions are between supervised vs. unsupervised duties if I remember correctly.

I did look into this specifically to apply last year. I listed myself as an assitant but did make sure to list what exactly my duties, all legal mind you, were. If I had made the mistake or calling myself and Tech in good faith <shrug>. Honesty is a good policy in my book and thats how I'd approach the interviews, if it even came up.

~Marie

My guess is that once you graduate and go into practice, if you tell your credentialed techs that you "were a tech" before vet school, you're going to get some eye rolls. You weren't a technician, you were an assistant, regardless of what your individual hospital "let" you do. Staff that work in human hospitals don't call themselves RNs because they're not - they don't have the educational background and they haven't taken the appropriate board exams. Why isn't it the same in the veterinary setting?

I don't know what state you're from, but its pretty common here to call "vet assistants" "vet techs" whether or not its legal to do so. I doubt I would get any eye-rolls, considering that all the vets ive worked for and the technicians i have worked along-side with never batted an eye at me being called a vet tech. Again, I would never call myself a "certified vet tech" because I am not. Although the only reason I did not become certified was due to a lack of time and money to dedicate to the pursuit - I decided very early that I wanted to be a veterinarian, not a vet tech, for the rest of my life and getting an undergraduate degree that would help me with that choice was more worthwhile than taking a couple years off to get certified. Although I didn't know you could just take an exam (perhaps you still can't in florida?) as per one of the above posters.

And um, yes, other hospital staff do not call themselves RN's if they are not - because they don't actually do any nursing as far as I can tell. The medical profession only allows RN's (and possibly CNA's) to do any nursing, whereas the veterinary profession does allow for "on the job training" of techs or assistants or whatever. I'm not saying its right - just that its not a very apt comparison.

As for educational background...well, you kind of make it sound like if you're not a "certified" vet tech you have had no schooling at all...many of the "techs" i worked with were in the middle of their biology degrees and even though they werent certified, were quite capable and competent. myself, i have an animal sciences degree which took me longer and cost me more than any vet tech degree would.

I don't know what state you're from, but its pretty common here to call "vet assistants" "vet techs" whether or not its legal to do so. I doubt I would get any eye-rolls, considering that all the vets ive worked for and the technicians i have worked along-side with never batted an eye at me being called a vet tech. Again, I would never call myself a "certified vet tech" because I am not. Although the only reason I did not become certified was due to a lack of time and money to dedicate to the pursuit - I decided very early that I wanted to be a veterinarian, not a vet tech, for the rest of my life and getting an undergraduate degree that would help me with that choice was more worthwhile than taking a couple years off to get certified. Although I didn't know you could just take an exam (perhaps you still can't in florida?) as per one of the above posters.

And um, yes, other hospital staff do not call themselves RN's if they are not - because they don't actually do any nursing as far as I can tell. The medical profession only allows RN's (and possibly CNA's) to do any nursing, whereas the veterinary profession does allow for "on the job training" of techs or assistants or whatever. I'm not saying its right - just that its not a very apt comparison.

As for educational background...well, you kind of make it sound like if you're not a "certified" vet tech you have had no schooling at all...many of the "techs" i worked with were in the middle of their biology degrees and even though they werent certified, were quite capable and competent. myself, i have an animal sciences degree which took me longer and cost me more than any vet tech degree would.

Whatever. You don't get it.

Biology degrees have little to do with applied veterinary medicine (key word APPLIED). Where in a biology or animal science degree (for example)do you learn how to properly administer or monitor GA?

I too, have an animal science degree. I chose to do both a BS and a veterinary technology degree (at the same time but from different schools -and I worked full time during both so there was no "time off" taken to get one degree or the other). It actually cost me less because my employer paid for the remainder of my BS degree because I was a RVT with them. As for cost - there are many private AVMA accredited veterinary technology programs that cost more than resident tuition at a state school. With respect to time taken to get an animal science degree vs a veterinary technology degree, again, there are at least a handful of four-year veterinary technology programs in the US.

It basically comes down to this: veterinarians and credentialed veterinary technicians are not respected as members of the medical community...and we (as veterinary students or pre-vets) shouldn't perpetuate this issue within our own profession by not recognizing those individuals that have sought out degrees, taken board exams and professional registration/liscensure/certification. This includes the inappropriate use of the title.

The issue of credentialed-vs-non credentialed is becoming more and more of a hot button topic, especially since AAVSB purchased the VTNE (the vet tech board exam)

It may be that as recently as a few years ago no one really cared what you called yourself, but more and more techs, assistants, vets, state associations and schools are pressing the issue (which IMO they should. I didn't jerk around for all those years, I worked my ass off to get my CVT)

Taking the extra step to make the distinction between assistant vs L/C/RVT may be small peanuts, but all those small peanuts add up to the big issue-GETTING IN. And we all know the most important thing-the elephant with the most peanuts is the one that gets into school :)

Whatever. You don't get it.

Biology degrees have little to do with applied veterinary medicine (key word APPLIED). Where in a biology or animal science degree (for example)do you learn how to properly administer or monitor GA?

Not saying you do, and that is something that can be left to CVT's, and if there aren't any at the practice and the vet has trained an experienced vet tech to do it...then they can do it. or the vet can be left to do it him/herself. I'm not saying that a biology degree can be interchanged with a CVT degree, I'm just saying that yes, you can be competent, very experienced, and deserving of the title "vet technician" without being certified.

I too, have an animal science degree. I chose to do both a BS and a veterinary technology degree (at the same time but from different schools -and I worked full time during both so there was no "time off" taken to get one degree or the other). It actually cost me less because my employer paid for the remainder of my BS degree because I was a RVT with them. As for cost - there are many private AVMA accredited veterinary technology programs that cost more than resident tuition at a state school. With respect to time taken to get an animal science degree vs a veterinary technology degree, again, there are at least a handful of four-year veterinary technology programs in the US.

Awesome, thats great for you. Fortunately my employers trained me on the job, and I had a scholarship to cover my undergrad degree. Just out of curiosity, how on earth did you manage to work "full time" (which I assume equals about 40 hours a week) while getting two degrees concurrently? My course load during my undergraduate degree at UF was often 18 credit hours, and although I was able to have a part-time job it was pretty crazy.

It basically comes down to this: veterinarians and credentialed veterinary technicians are not respected as members of the medical community...and we (as veterinary students or pre-vets) shouldn't perpetuate this issue within our own profession by not recognizing those individuals that have sought out degrees, taken board exams and professional registration/liscensure/certification. This includes the inappropriate use of the title.

I don't disagree with you, I just think that there is little distinction between "vet assistant" and "vet tech". Especially regionally, I'd never heard anyone called a vet assistant before, it was: Kennel Tech, Vet Tech, CVT. Even at the university of florida veterinary medical center, their "vet techs" are usually trained on the job...they even go on to specialize as surgery techs etc using the "on the job training" system.

Not saying you do, and that is something that can be left to CVT's, and if there aren't any at the practice and the vet has trained an experienced vet tech to do it...then they can do it. or the vet can be left to do it him/herself. I'm not saying that a biology degree can be interchanged with a CVT degree, I'm just saying that yes, you can be competent, very experienced, and deserving of the title "vet technician" without being certified.

I disagree. The title of veterinary technician should be reserved for those who have met the requirements as such.

Awesome, thats great for you. Fortunately my employers trained me on the job, and I had a scholarship to cover my undergrad degree. Just out of curiosity, how on earth did you manage to work "full time" (which I assume equals about 40 hours a week) while getting two degrees concurrently? My course load during my undergraduate degree at UF was often 18 credit hours, and although I was able to have a part-time job it was pretty crazy.

Easy. Full time was anything over 32 hours - I worked 3 - 12 hour shifts (Friday, Saturday and Sunday midnight to noon) which gave me 36 hours -did this for a year and a half then switched to second shift (5- 8 hour shifts)and picked up a teaching job, which was well over 40 hours/week since I had to write lecture powerpoints, prepare materials, etc. My average course load was around 15 credits.

I don't disagree with you, I just think that there is little distinction between "vet assistant" and "vet tech". Especially regionally, I'd never heard anyone called a vet assistant before, it was: Kennel Tech, Vet Tech, CVT. Even at the university of florida veterinary medical center, their "vet techs" are usually trained on the job...they even go on to specialize as surgery techs etc using the "on the job training" system.

This I think is sad. Any teaching hospital should employ only credentialed technicians to be providing patient care and teaching students. Do they not teach?

This I think is sad. Any teaching hospital should employ only credentialed technicians to be providing patient care and teaching students. Do they not teach?

oh puh-leeze. do get off your high horse, they employ credentialed technicians of course, but they also give many undergraduate pre-vet students the opportunity to gain valuable experience working in one of the major animal referral centers of the southeast. and yes, they are trained by vets and credentialed vet techs - and this is not a detriment to the veterinary profession or our medical center.

edit: and the student vet techs do not usually teach (unless in some cases they have been working there for years and years) usually only CVT's actually teach the vet students, and these also have to be pretty high up. the vet students also learn from interns, residents and board certified specialist veterinarians. my point was that there are many vet techs that work there that do a fabulous job and were trained on the job.

oh puh-leeze. do get off your high horse, they employ credentialed technicians of course, but they also give many undergraduate pre-vet students the opportunity to gain valuable experience working in one of the major animal referral centers of the southeast. and yes, they are trained by vets and credentialed vet techs - and this is not a detriment to the veterinary profession or our medical center.

edit: and the student vet techs do not usually teach (unless in some cases they have been working there for years and years) usually only CVT's actually teach the vet students, and these also have to be pretty high up. the vet students also learn from interns, residents and board certified specialist veterinarians. my point was that there are many vet techs that work there that do a fabulous job and were trained on the job.

I'm not high up on anything, thanks. My point is they are NOT STUDENT VET TECHS. THEY ARE ASSISTANTS. If they are student vet techs, this implies that they are enrolled in a program of veterinary technology and completing clinical rotations. I made the statement that I did because you said that the medical center employs OJT 'technicians'. As a pet owner - would you rather have someone maintain anesthesia on your pet that was a high school graduate shown how to turn the knobs on a anesthesia machine or would you rather someone that understands physiology, anatomy, pharmacology and pharmacodynamics of the controlled poisons that are being pumped into your pet?

I'm done with this thread. It's clear that my point cannot be made about the improper use of the term veterinary technician so I'd rather not waste my time arguing about it. Have a great day.

Ok so if I take a vet tech or any person that's worked in a clinic forever and teach them a little about surgery and how to spay and neuter, they can call themselves a DVM right? Surgery's just about threading needles and tying knots right? I mean if I can pull up drugs in a needle that means I can prescribe them right? (BTW this is exactly what groups are lobbying to do-- they want RVT/CVTs to be allowed to perform minor surgery)

Like Wildcat said...I think those with confusion on this, don't get it at all.

Yes experience matters, but that's true where ever. Also like everywhere else in the world, if you go to school and take the time to work toward a specific degree or cert you ARE DIFFERENT then those that didn't. It's not too difficult of a thing to just respect the small semantic distinctions. I'm not saying that the really great vet assistant that we all know or are should be automatically be made subservient to every CVT/RVT that pops out of school....but you do need to realize that the person who just got out of school has often made a greater focal time and money commitment to their career with animals.

I have to agree with what has been said about the value of R/C/LVTs versus someone OJT. Are there great OJT people who know a ton about vet med? Absolutely. Are there bad R/L/CVTs? Absolutely. BUT, the education and the EXAMINATION that an R/C/LVT must pass to call themselves a technician automatically gives them a leg up in the vet world.

There are very few states these days that do not have some form of regulation (one of these is Mass). For states that do regulate, you must pass either the NVTE or the state boards in CA, to call yourself a technician. In many states there is a huge difference in the tasks you are legally allowed to do if you aren't a technician. In CA, where I am, technicians are legally allowed to induce anesthesia, apply casts and splints, perform dental extractions, and suture exisiting skin incisions, as well as administer drugs and fluids in an emergency situation. Assistants are not *legally* allowed to do those above tasks.

I've taken classes in a veterinary technology program; they teach you the hows and whys behind the everyday tasks which you don't necessarily learn on the job. Here in CA, as an assistant, I restrain, draw blood, run labwork, place IVCs, take radiographs, monitor anesthesia, assist with euthanasias, assist in sx and more. In other states, assistants are very limited in their tasks.

Future veterinarians should be pushing for required regulation of assistants/technicians. We don't use OJT nurses, and our pets deserve the same standard of care.

mtrl1

I think that the OTJ versus R/L/CVT discussion should be a seperate thread, we are getting way off topic of the OP's topic:oops:

I listed myself as a Vet Tech, and I never had an interviewer ask me anything about it at all. I ended up with offers to two schools, so apparently it didn't make much difference. In any case, now I'm kind of cringing about it. I really didn't know that that was a no-no.