Frustrated with Deposits!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DustinfromCA

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone else drop tons of cash on deposits to schools they eventually are not going to go to. Especially for me it just seems timing is sooo off! I pay money for a deposit and then find out 2 weeks later I get into somewhere else, and then pay another deposit and then now I'm waiting for another school that I'd chose over the school I paid the 2nd deposit for? So I might have to pay another.. does that make sense?

And yes I'd like some cheese with this whine! :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad.

Why didn't you ask for like an extension to pay the deposit from the second school and that will allow you to hear from the other schools? I guess you didn't think that far!!! Some schools will offer you to pay half of the deposit and you can pay the rest in 2 to 4 weeks. You must be rich!!!!

Anyone else drop tons of cash on deposits to schools they eventually are not going to go to. Especially for me it just seems timing is sooo off! I pay money for a deposit and then find out 2 weeks later I get into somewhere else, and then pay another deposit and then now I'm waiting for another school that I'd chose over the school I paid the 2nd deposit for? So I might have to pay another.. does that make sense?

And yes I'd like some cheese with this whine! :rolleyes:

I am going through the same situation!! I am paying for my second deposit this week while I am waiting for my interview with my top school. I am so broke as it is..jeeze..

Dr. Biassi, thanks for the advice. I am going to call the school (I am sending the second deposit to) tomorrow and ask if I can do some sort of payment plan. Might as well!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I think alot of people would love to be in your shoes so you might not want to complain about it. It's like telling poor people about how hard it is to walk around witha roll of hundreds in your pocket. I mean I understand where you are coming from but it's just that, you might not get alot of sympathy.

Get over it. Pay the cash and in 4.5 years the last thing you will be worried about is 500 bones

I swear they strategize on how to scoop up the most deposits possible.:laugh: But I agree, 5 hunj is no big deal looking at the big picture. Dr. Biassi has a good point; didn't think of that.

Why didn't you ask for like an extension to pay the deposit from the second school and that will allow you to hear from the other schools? !

Hi, Doctor, I think you point out a great idea--extension. but what kind of excuse we can ask for extension, I don't want saying that I am waiting for another school and put the school that accepted me in the 2nd place.....

Get over it. Pay the cash and in 4.5 years the last thing you will be worried about is 500 bones

I've gotta agree with sputnik25...You've got to remember that as much as schools are educational institutions, they're also businesses. Money makes the world go round.

It is one thing to give one deposit away to one of your lesser choices, but why multiple? IMO, I would identify my top choice and then pick one backup school to give away a deposit if need be.

I would also find out when your top choice will be making their decision. If it is soon, I would advise you to request an extension at another school. It may or may not work, but at least you will have given it a try!

I put a $1000 deposit down on a school a couple weeks ago ... there are about 3 schools that I'm still waiting to hear from that I would rather go to ... it stinks that I may lose that $1000, but its a small price to pay to ensure that I have a backup if my top schools don't work out ...

Same here for me, I really got screwed. My deadline for my deposit at Midwestern-CPG was Feb 28, and I was not supposed to find out from University of Arizona until March 1st, so when I recieved my letter from Midwestern I just sent them the $750 deposit because they were my second choice, but on Feb 27th I got my status updated to accepted on UofA's website, so I could have saved myself the $750 dollars....oh well, I will almost save $20,000 dollars on the first year tuition, so it works out in the long run...lol

I sympathize with ya man....I dropped $1000 on two schools just to get accepted at a third and only have to pay $100....yes, One Hundred dollars! And, no....I'm not rich! When I finally moved to school I had to scrimp and save every single dollar I could because of paying the first deposits.

For those wondering why you would drop money on more than one school...I'll lay it down as it happened to me.

First, I get an early decision from a school that isn't my top choice. I wait 2 weeks, request an extension, wait another week (or 2..can't remember) and then finally pay. Happy to have gotten into pharmacy school (and grateful for the chance), I gladly pay.

Several weeks later I get an acceptance from a school that I have wanted to go to for a very long time...number one choice as far as I'm concerned. As there's no chance in you-know-where that I'm going to get into the UC...I gladly pay....happy that I'm going to my "number one choice"

Weeks and weeks and weeks later.....I get the impossible acceptance letter....UC Pharmacy school. So, again, the decision was already made for me. I pay the third deposit and wave goodbye to my first 2 deposits. It hurt like crazy I tell you....it really did....but in the end it was worth it.

Anyhoo....just my story since some people wonder why you would pay for more than one school!

Have a great day.

I applied to five schools and the deposits are $0, $100, $100, $150, and 2 x $400. I scheduled my interview at 2 x $400 on the last possible date because of the deposit. I already got in to my #1/#2 school which has $0 deposit, so I will only be out of $150 in deposit money when this thing is over.

I think alot of people would love to be in your shoes so you might not want to complain about it. It's like telling poor people about how hard it is to walk around witha roll of hundreds in your pocket. I mean I understand where you are coming from but it's just that, you might not get alot of sympathy.

lol! yah, i'm frustrated with people who are frustrated that they have options! boo-friggin-who! get outta here!