FS Pay?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cavaor

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
can anyone break down the pay for a Flight Surgeon right out of internship that is up to date?

Members don't see this ad.

Navy flight surgeons get the basic year 1 flight pay that aviators and NFOs get. That's $125 a month, and starts about two months into flight surgeon training. Everything else is the same that your GMO colleuges will get: Base pay, BAH, BAS and VSP (which goes from about $125 to $450 a month after internship) You can look those up on the pay tables. All of that is monthly, and add onto that, your 15K ASP that comes in yearly.
I Don't know what the Army of AF get.

AF get the same, except our flight pay ($125) does not start until we have our Aeronautical Orders (AO) and we have done our first flight, hence after you graduate from Aerospace Medicine Primary (AMP). It is also important to remember that your pay grade is calculated by the time since you finished med school (Not when you were commisioned by HPSP OR When you first started Active Duty). Small detail, but you get a nice raise after your first year of service is up.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know about you sethco, but my pay grade is calculated based on when I entered on active duty, but I get credit for my ADTs. Thus, even though I started on AD in June, I bump up every year in December.

As for the Flight Pay thing, it is the same in the Army.

Ed

I don't know about you sethco, but my pay grade is calculated based on when I entered on active duty, but I get credit for my ADTs. Thus, even though I started on AD in June, I bump up every year in December.

Don't how you swung that, but be very careful. Upon starting AD, I was paid as an O-3 with 4 or more years of service. In other words, they were paying me for my HPSP time (When I was first commisioned). Despite all of my inquiries and protests, they continued to overpay me. Well, 9 months later they "finally" discovered their "mistake" and I had to pay the amount back over the next 12 months. It wouldn't be such a big deal, if my wife listened to what I was saying and didn't over-budget while we were getting overpaid.

Back to the original point, your pay scale is figured out by the date you graduated med school (not when you were commisioned or when you did your first ADT in med school). This has been confirmed by multiple individuals at Denver and Randolph AFB that strictly deal with military medical professionals only. However, I do not know how it works for USUHS, Academy grads, ROTC people, or Prior service individuals. I can only speak for HPSP individuals without prior military experience/commitments.

Don't how you swung that, but be very careful. Upon starting AD, I was paid as an O-3 with 4 or more years of service. In other words, they were paying me for my HPSP time (When I was first commisioned). Despite all of my inquiries and protests, they continued to overpay me. Well, 9 months later they "finally" discovered their "mistake" and I had to pay the amount back over the next 12 months. It wouldn't be such a big deal, if my wife listened to what I was saying and didn't over-budget while we were getting overpaid.

Back to the original point, your pay scale is figured out by the date you graduated med school (not when you were commisioned or when you did your first ADT in med school). This has been confirmed by multiple individuals at Denver and Randolph AFB that strictly deal with military medical professionals only. However, I do not know how it works for USUHS, Academy grads, ROTC people, or Prior service individuals. I can only speak for HPSP individuals without prior military experience/commitments.

Interesting. All the HPSP folks I have talked to have similar calculations. Mind you, we're talking about 3x45 day ADT rotations. I think this is how they treat reserve officers coming onto active duty. Maybe its an army thing -- anyone else know?

Ed