FSU Response?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey everyone, congrats on your acceptances!!!! I hope to hear from FSU soon, and I hope to report the same good news! :D :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

RunnerMD said:
Congratulations to all of you guys! I'm so happy for everyone :clap:

well I did undergrad in tallahassee so i am going to go next week and look for a place with a friend of mine. there are a bunch of places to live, but most of the ones right by school don't have leases that start in june.

I'm in!!!!!! She called me at 5:20 pm today but I AM IN!!! You guys all kept me sane, thank you so much and good luck to all of you!

Members don't see this ad :)
docturk said:
ME TOO!!!! DO YOU HAVE ANY IDEAS?

My friend gave me some suggestions but are you looking for a roommate or are you looking to rent someplace yourself? I can't tell you anything if it's the latter, but if it's the former, she sent me a list of accepted 2010 FSU COM students so that I can try emailing them and seeing if any of them are still looking for a roommate.

Congrats Dr. Slackpack! And good luck Frany!!! :luck:

Seems like yesterday was the big day.

Filibuster said:
Seems like yesterday was the big day.

I am so excited for everyone that has received an acceptance!!! :D :D
For anyone that does not llive in tallahassee already, and trying to find an apartment: If you won't have a chance to go to Tallahassee until school starts www.apartments.com is a good resource. All apartments are not posted on here. But on this website go to Florida and then search under Tallahassee. It can be very helpful. They provide photos of apartments, addresses, phone numbers and a lot of other helpful info.

I called on Tuesday morning and I was told that I was still on hold...I am still praying and crossing my fingers. Are there any others?

TrulyBlessed said:
I am so excited for everyone that has received an acceptance!!! :D :D
For anyone that does not llive in tallahassee already, and trying to find an apartment: If you won't have a chance to go to Tallahassee until school starts www.apartments.com is a good resource. All apartments are not posted on here. But on this website go to Florida and then search under Tallahassee. It can be very helpful. They provide photos of apartments, addresses, phone numbers and a lot of other helpful info.

I called on Tuesday morning and I was told that I was still on hold...I am still praying and crossing my fingers. Are there any others?

GOOD LUCK!!!!! :luck: :luck: :luck: And thanks for the tip. :)

I did some surfing around on the website and found a very helpful page written by the students of the c/o 2005 about life at FSU and the classes and well, just about everything you could think of. At the bottom of the page is a list of places they lived in, which I will copy and paste here:

WIND RUSH - Governor Square area. Quiet, lots of space, very clean. 2 bedrooms - $650/month. 10 minute drive from campus.

CAROLINA SQUARE - 3 minute WALK from campus (it's behind McDonald's on Tennessee). Relatively cheap - 1 bedroom for $385/month. Potential flooding area.

THE GATHERING - 5 minute drive from school. Very clean, quiet, nice place to live. 2 and 3 bedroom apartments only. Relatively cheap.

SILVERLEAF APPARTMENTS - nice apartment complex, however the area around it is not too impressive. Very quiet and relatively cheap - 1 bedroom for $405/month. 10 minute drive from campus. History of cars being broken into.

CASH HALL - It is extremely noisy and expensive. Rooms are small and you have to share the bathroom. Although a few meals/week are included in your plan, it will cost you $1,000 or more / month.

JACKSON SQUARE - is located on Hermitage Blvd, which intersects with Thomasville Rd and Capital Circle NE. The drive to campus takes about 15-20 minutes depending on traffic. This is a nice quiet place to live away from FSU. The complex offers amenities such as a swimming pool, racquetball court, tennis court, gym, pool table, free video rentals, a business center, gated access, car wash station, and a washer/dryer. They have a short turnaround time for repairs and there is plenty of parking. They offer a 1 bedroom/1 bath up to a 3 bedroom/2 bath. Unfortunately, their rent is a little bit higher than much of the other apartment complexes in town, but it's well worth it. Also within a short drive is an on ramp for I-10, Publix, Wal-Mart, Home Depot and many restaurants.

Erm, upon re-reading, most of these are not ideal places to live. Except for Jackson Square.

Hey TrulyBlessed and Filibuster, you guys are still on Hold too? I called yesterday and Jaime told me the committee has not reviewed my application. I kind of feel bad that I'm pestering her. But now I'm really anxious because I was accepted into USF's MS program and I think I might have to commit to them REAL soon. I hope to hear from FSU Monday or Tuesday whether its good or bad. Good luck everyone! :luck:
Also, moonstone thanks for the information about the apartments. Even though I'm not going there, I love looking at apartments lol.

moonstone said:
GOOD LUCK!!!!! :luck: :luck: :luck: And thanks for the tip. :)

I did some surfing around on the website and found a very helpful page written by the students of the c/o 2005 about life at FSU and the classes and well, just about everything you could think of. At the bottom of the page is a list of places they lived in, which I will copy and paste here:

WIND RUSH - Governor Square area. Quiet, lots of space, very clean. 2 bedrooms - $650/month. 10 minute drive from campus.

CAROLINA SQUARE - 3 minute WALK from campus (it's behind McDonald's on Tennessee). Relatively cheap - 1 bedroom for $385/month. Potential flooding area.

THE GATHERING - 5 minute drive from school. Very clean, quiet, nice place to live. 2 and 3 bedroom apartments only. Relatively cheap.

SILVERLEAF APPARTMENTS - nice apartment complex, however the area around it is not too impressive. Very quiet and relatively cheap - 1 bedroom for $405/month. 10 minute drive from campus. History of cars being broken into.

CASH HALL - It is extremely noisy and expensive. Rooms are small and you have to share the bathroom. Although a few meals/week are included in your plan, it will cost you $1,000 or more / month.

JACKSON SQUARE - is located on Hermitage Blvd, which intersects with Thomasville Rd and Capital Circle NE. The drive to campus takes about 15-20 minutes depending on traffic. This is a nice quiet place to live away from FSU. The complex offers amenities such as a swimming pool, racquetball court, tennis court, gym, pool table, free video rentals, a business center, gated access, car wash station, and a washer/dryer. They have a short turnaround time for repairs and there is plenty of parking. They offer a 1 bedroom/1 bath up to a 3 bedroom/2 bath. Unfortunately, their rent is a little bit higher than much of the other apartment complexes in town, but it's well worth it. Also within a short drive is an on ramp for I-10, Publix, Wal-Mart, Home Depot and many restaurants.

Erm, upon re-reading, most of these are not ideal places to live. Except for Jackson Square.

Jackson Square is really expensive. Try around $900 for a 1-bedroom apartment. They are small too. Great area of town though. If you want this side of town, look into Eagles Landing or Paddock Club instead. Bigger apartments, still really nice, a few med students currently live there (I live in Eagles Landing). Email me at [email protected] with questions. I'll be one of your TAs for anatomy. I'm willing to help you in this stressful/exciting/adventurous transition. Congratulations!

There's also an older complex called Shamrock Village that's north of I10 off of Thomasville Rd...the Killearn area. I lived there during grad school. The prices are reasonable and it's easier to get into than some others. There are families there, but we never had a single problem with noise...I was convinced that nobody lived next to or above us, but of course they did. There are also a lot of grad students. It has a pool and a small exercise room. It's quiet and has really lovely scenery (including a large pond...get an apartment next to the pond if you can). We paid $775 for a three bedroom...not sure what the other prices were. We were near Walmart, Target, Home Depot, Lowe's, Albertsons, Books a Million, lots of restaurants...

It's not listed in most of the apartment books, so you'll have to hunt it down. It's definitely on the quiet side, so you'll have to decide if that's for you. Congratulations to everyone!! Good luck!

congrats to everyone who has been accepted, and best of luck to those still on hold. I think we're going to see even more acceptances next week. :luck: :luck:

Thanks for the suggestions bmcgilligan and jace's mom! Those places all sound really nice, although I can't seem to find anything about Shamrock Village on apartments.com or apartmentfinder.com.

So...anyone interested in getting one of these apartments with me? =P Lol, I know asking around on a messageboard isn't really a good way to get a roommate, but I figure it's not much worse than blindly emailing people about roommate situations....

Anyway, here are the pages for the communities for anyone who's interested:
Eagles Landing
Paddock Club
Jackson Square

Oddly enough, there's a negative correlation between sq ft and cost. Smaller apartments cost more? I'm guessing the amenities make up for the loss of space.

And good luck to everyone still waiting! :luck:

Congrats to you all who got their acceptance letters..... I'm still waiting to hear back... everytime I inquire, I get the usual response that you all get..."your application is currently on hold and is being reviewed....blah blah blah..." It's kind of ridiculous how they make you wait until literally school starts!! I mean, how are ppl supposed to move and get a place to live n stuff within a day or two!?!

Members don't see this ad :)
moonstone said:
Thanks for the suggestions bmcgilligan and jace's mom! Those places all sound really nice, although I can't seem to find anything about Shamrock Village on apartments.com or apartmentfinder.com.

So...anyone interested in getting one of these apartments with me? =P Lol, I know asking around on a messageboard isn't really a good way to get a roommate, but I figure it's not much worse than blindly emailing people about roommate situations....

Anyway, here are the pages for the communities for anyone who's interested:
Eagles Landing
Paddock Club
Jackson Square

Oddly enough, there's a negative correlation between sq ft and cost. Smaller apartments cost more? I'm guessing the amenities make up for the loss of space.

And good luck to everyone still waiting! :luck:

Look into Azalea Place and Arbor Village.They are managed by the same company and they are very nice apratments. They are far away enough from campus to get away from the crazy undergrad partying but not more than a 10-15 minute drive. Also there is a place called Planter's Crossing (Off Old Bainbridge somewhere) that is also pretty nice and quiet. Here are the places to STAY AWAY FROM:

Frog Pond
Campus Lodge
Chatue DaVille and Berkshire Manor
High Park Village
The Gathering -- Very Ghetto!

And for last I saved the diamond in the rough: A place called Harbin Terrace on Pensacola Street - you could walk to the med school if you want. The place is managed by Craig Harbin and he will take very good care of you if you stay there. The rent is relatively cheap too, you could probably get an apartment for the fall if you act quickly. Also a very convenient place if you like going to the football games. If you want more specific info on any places in Tally PM me, I lived there for 5 years and when you consider that I delivered pizzas all over town and installed flooring in practically every student apartment complex, I can tell you a little about any place. Good luck to you guys at FSU.

For you lucky ones that are already looking into apartments.... i think it'd be a good idea if you could start telling us which apartments are all booked up for the summer...

For undergrad, I lived in Polos on Park...it's not a far drive to school, but far enough to stay away from the undergrads!! When I lived there, one of my professors lived beside me along with some law students beneath me....good crowd to live around. I'd also suggest Azalea Place and Arbor Village as VinylFever mentioned. Also, I lived in a place right beside Polos on Park called Park Avenue Villas the first year of school-they are pretty quaint little "apartments"....more like a one-story townhome-but they were $500/month!! They had a fireplace and your own parking right in front of each townhome...I really liked living there-no college kids at all!

Shamrock Village doesn't have a website or anything (this is how low-key they are). I forgot to mention that drive time was about 15-20 minutes, but not a bad drive at all. Here's the address and telephone number:

Shamrock Village of Killearn
(850) 893-1197
3711 Shamrock St W
Tallahassee, FL 32309

Good luck to all of you! I love Tallahassee and miss it very much! :(

Wow, down in the middle of third page.

Good luck everyone! Hopefully you'll get a call today! :luck: :luck: :luck:

Well, its Tuesday!!! Big day of decision making i bet..... share any news you guys get!

Hello everyone I'm new to this thread. I was wondering if anyone has gotten an acceptance to the bridge program? Does anyone know how the program works? Or when we should hear back from them? Thanks for all your help

milo33410 said:
Hello everyone I'm new to this thread. I was wondering if anyone has gotten an acceptance to the bridge program? Does anyone know how the program works? Or when we should hear back from them? Thanks for all your help
I'm not 100% sure but I think they have filled to seats for the bridge program. One of my friends was accepted into it about 2 weeks ago.

Anyone else out there nervous bout all the "paperwork"! My doctor still has not forwarded my Hep B vaccination records and my Polio and Dpt results I am sending in now...and they are all due Tuesday May 30. I don't know, I may be worrying for nothing, but I can just picture Ms. Oglesby revoking my admissions offer because of deficient documentation. Should I be concerned! Current med students?? THANKS in advance for your responses!

Only the best of luck to you all still waiting.

Syringe3131 said:
Anyone else out there nervous bout all the "paperwork"! My doctor still has not forwarded my Hep B vaccination records and my Polio and Dpt results I am sending in now...and they are all due Tuesday May 30. I don't know, I may be worrying for nothing, but I can just picture Ms. Oglesby revoking my admissions offer because of deficient documentation. Should I be concerned! Current med students?? THANKS in advance for your responses!

The paperwork makes me want to cry. I'm waiting on the results of the Hep B blood test and the varicella titer and hoping that they'll be done by Friday. I had trouble going to sleep last night because I was worried I'd be denied admissions when I got to FSU because my health forms weren't in order. And I'm still looking for a place to live and a roommate to share it with. :scared: :eek:

Ms. Oglesby told me that it'd be faster at this point to bring the papers with me when I go to Tallahassee because if I mail them, they'd have to go through campus mail, which takes about 7-10 days.

I have a feeling that the level of stress I'm feeling now is not a good way to prepare for medical school.

Does anyone happen to know where we're supposed to go for orientation? And what time are we supposed to show up? And what the schedule's going to be like for those four days?

Good luck to those still waiting. :luck: You've got to hear something soon!

ETA: Have you heard anything about your financial aid package?

milo33410

I'm not sure if all the seats have been filled, but I know that about 8 of them are filled (10 are supposedly available). The way it kinda works:

Once you're accpeted in Bridge, you attended the summer session with regular admitted students (Doctoring and Clinical Anatomy). In the fall-- I'm not exactly sure-- but you take a few classes with the current 1st year students, but then you are placed on a research tract. In the spring, you are responsible for completing a research experiment (not sure about the details, but I think it's 6 weeks). Once you've satisfied the necessary requirements they've set for you in regards to the experiment, you are automatically accepted with the incoming students that summer.

So basically, it's a 5 year med school deal. I've had some of my friends attend and they loved it. I mean, if you haven't been accepted via regular admit, then it's a better alternative than actually taking the MCAT again and re-applying (which doesn't offer any gurauntees). And from what I hear, a good number of the Bridge students go to do exceptionally well.. and I dont think that FSU has had a situation where a Bridge student has not been admitted after completion of the program. But trust me... there are no bad stigmas associated with individuals that do go thru Bridge.. as a matter of fact, FSU COM 1st Bridge student graduated with her class this past weekend... and received quite a few academic awards.

I hope this helps!!

Jlm02u

Considering I live down in Wakulla county I am highly considering FSU..I was just wondering if any of you can get the match list to show up on the website. I know they focus on primary care stuff but I'd still like to see what the matches are and it doesn't want to seem to work with me...

jlm02u said:
milo33410

I'm not sure if all the seats have been filled, but I know that about 8 of them are filled (10 are supposedly available). The way it kinda works:

Once you're accpeted in Bridge, you attended the summer session with regular admitted students (Doctoring and Clinical Anatomy). In the fall-- I'm not exactly sure-- but you take a few classes with the current 1st year students, but then you are placed on a research tract. In the spring, you are responsible for completing a research experiment (not sure about the details, but I think it's 6 weeks). Once you've satisfied the necessary requirements they've set for you in regards to the experiment, you are automatically accepted with the incoming students that summer.

So basically, it's a 5 year med school deal. I've had some of my friends attend and they loved it. I mean, if you haven't been accepted via regular admit, then it's a better alternative than actually taking the MCAT again and re-applying (which doesn't offer any gurauntees). And from what I hear, a good number of the Bridge students go to do exceptionally well.. and I dont think that FSU has had a situation where a Bridge student has not been admitted after completion of the program. But trust me... there are no bad stigmas associated with individuals that do go thru Bridge.. as a matter of fact, FSU COM 1st Bridge student graduated with her class this past weekend... and received quite a few academic awards.

I hope this helps!!

Jlm02u

Actually, Bridge students only take Anatomy over the summer, not Doctoring. Then in the fall they take Histology with the med students and some other classes that med students don't take.

Syringe3131 said:

Don't stress. They aren't going to revoke your admission. There are quite a few blocks of time placed into the orientation week schedule to get all your documents in order. If you haven't had all your immunizations, Thagard student health center can do them.

edit: This post was a joke. The poster I quoted is a very good friend of mine, and actually dictated what to write as he sat next to me (laughing, might I add). It was so to be a satire of how UF can come across as very competitive, however without context it could be easily misconstrued. I apologize if I have offended anyone.

jlm02u said:
milo33410

I hope this helps!!

Jlm02u

Thanks for the info. it has been very helpful.

edit: See edit comment two posts above.

Has anyone on the wait list heard anything? I haven't seen anyone post any acceptances since last Friday...Is FSU finished with the list?

Heh, who freaking knows. I called during the week and they claimed my application was still on Hold and has not been reviewed, orientation begins Tuesday and they could 'possibly' call during orientation but they typically call up until classes start yet they can't give me a specific date when I would know whether I was rejected or accepted. I pretty much gave up on FSU and plan on goin to USF's master's program.

frany584 said:
Heh, who freaking knows. I called during the week and they claimed my application was still on Hold and has not been reviewed, orientation begins Tuesday and they could 'possibly' call during orientation but they typically call up until classes start yet they can't give me a specific date when I would know whether I was rejected or accepted. I pretty much gave up on FSU and plan on goin to USF's master's program.

I know...I've sat around for the past two weeks waiting for a phone call and nothing...I've received the same phone response as you...what is the deal?

has anyone heard since last Friday when all those acceptances were given???

Hey Guys- I'm new to this thread but like most of you guys on hold I'm sure you are going crazy waiting like me. Jamie just called me and offered me an acceptance so I'm sure many of you will be hearing the good news! Best of luck :) :luck:

gtrgrl5 said:
Hey Guys- I'm new to this thread but like most of you guys on hold I'm sure you are going crazy waiting like me. Jamie just called me and offered me an acceptance so I'm sure many of you will be hearing the good news! Best of luck :) :luck:

wow, congratulations...hopefully I'm next

HI GUYS,
I JUST CALLED AND DECLINED MY ACCEPTANCE AT FSU. MY HUSBAND WAS JUST ACCEPTED TO MEHARRY SCHOOL OF DENISTRY AND I WAS PREVIOUSLY ACCEPTED TO MEHARRY'S MEDICAL SCHOOL. HOPEFULLY THEY WILL OFFER MY SPOT TO ONE OF YOU GUYS!!!! IT'S BITTERSWEET TO DECLINE FSU BECAUSE THE SCHOOL IS SO AWESOME. :thumbup:
GOODLUCK TO YOU ALL IN THE FALL :D

docturk said:
HI GUYS,
I JUST CALLED AND DECLINED MY ACCEPTANCE AT FSU. MY HUSBAND WAS JUST ACCEPTED TO MEHARRY SCHOOL OF DENISTRY AND I WAS PREVIOUSLY ACCEPTED TO MEHARRY'S MEDICAL SCHOOL. HOPEFULLY THEY WILL OFFER MY SPOT TO ONE OF YOU GUYS!!!! IT'S BITTERSWEET TO DECLINE FSU BECAUSE THE SCHOOL IS SO AWESOME. :thumbup:

Great News! I'll stay by the phone!

docturk said:
HI GUYS,

Wow, that's awesome! It's great that you and your husband will be able to go to the same school. Congrats to both of you and best of luck!

Congrats to you too, gtrgrl5! It's nice to see some more acceptances around here. :) See you at orientation!

For those of you going to Orientation tomorrow, a) have fun! and b) tell us all about it!!!!! How many ppl showed up?? How many more seats do they have to fill, etc etc.. keep us fellow sdners updated!!!

aishoo84 said:
For those of you going to Orientation tomorrow, a) have fun! and b) tell us all about it!!!!! How many ppl showed up?? How many more seats do they have to fill, etc etc.. keep us fellow sdners updated!!!

Will do! I'll look around and start my counting soon, and keep a special ear out about open seats. Best of luck to you all still waiting and looking forward to meeting my future classmates (Study Group anyone? lol...well, not really).

Syringe3131 said:
Will do! I'll look around and start my counting soon, and keep a special ear out about open seats. Best of luck to you all still waiting and looking forward to meeting my future classmates (Study Group anyone? lol...well, not really).

Thanks Syringe!! We will all appreciate it a lot! Do keep an eye out for people who decide to withdraw during orientation and try to get some info outta Jamie or Rhonda Collins about the seat availability :)

Syringe3131 said:

Thanks for your help

did anyone hear or find out anything at orientation today? Still anxiously waiting

frany584 said:

On the bright side if you do well in USF's masters program, then you most likely will get in somewhere in the following year.

Good luck!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry to hear that things didn't work out this cycle.

gujuDoc said:
On the bright side if you do well in USF's masters program, then you most likely will get in somewhere in the following year.

Good luck!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry to hear that things didn't work out this cycle.

Hey guju,

Are you going to the USF masters too? I remember you were interested awhile back..

And thanks for the info. on FSU Syringe. :)

Originally posted by GujuDoc

Good luck!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry to hear that things didn't work out this cycle

Hey Guju! Yeah, this application cycle was quite a disappointment (back when I received my MCAT scores), but I am confident that I will do well in the USF program and get into USF (which is where I REALLY want to go! :) ) Will you be at USF this upcoming school year?

frany584 said:
Hey Guju! Yeah, this application cycle was quite a disappointment (back when I received my MCAT scores), but I am confident that I will do well in the USF program and get into USF (which is where I REALLY want to go! :) ) Will you be at USF this upcoming school year?

what are you going to do your masters in frany? is it a one year program or a 2 year program??