Full post bacc or apply Spring 2022

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

handnerd

Reaction score
I am hoping for some advice regarding how to proceed. I am a non-traditional applicant trying to chart the most sensible course towards medical school. At this juncture, my main question is whether or not I should take a year of post bacc classes, or if I should take a few this semester and proceed with the MCAT/application Spring 2022. I already have a few post bacc courses under my belt that I took to get into graduate school, so that's why I already have a post bacc GPA listed. The question is if I need MORE classes to become a more competitive applicant.

Here is a bit about me:

Undergrad c GPA/s GPA: 3.71/3.08
Post bacc c GPA/s GPA : 3.76/3.38
Grad GPA: 3.99 - second in class (strong upward GPA trend. I have not made anything less than an A since my junior year in UG).
MCAT: ? have not taken yet. Got >500 on a diagnostic with no prep and all hard sciences classes taken over 10 years ago
ECs: president of global brigades chapter at my UG, led a public health mission in Honduras. Hours volunteering at a community clinic in UG. Spent several years working for a non-profit who's mission was to expose under privileged children to the outdoors. president of grad school honors society. > 40 hours shadowing. In the process of clinical research, but am unlikely to be published by the time that I apply. Most volunteer work was several years ago at this point. I would like to do more but will struggle to find time if I intend to apply in the Spring.
Work/clinical: I am an occupational therapist/hand therapist. I have advanced practice in hand therapy and wound care. I have been working 2 years full-time.
State: CA / grew up in Texas

I am turning 30 in a few months, so I obviously do not want to prolong this process any more than I have to. However, if I give myself another year to take courses I could inch my science GPA up and have a year or so to just focus on studying for the MCAT/volunteer. There is also a chance I could get published.

I am of the mindset that I would rather apply once and do it correctly than apply several times. However, if I have a chance at getting into a program if I apply next cycle, that would be hard to turn down. Full disclosure, my post bacc classes would have to be online. This is my only option due to financial and location constraints. My goal at this point is an ortho or plastics residency because I have fallen in love with the anatomy of the hand! What's the best way to move towards this goal in your opinion?

Members don't see this ad.