Full Ride at a newer med school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Definitely go to UTSW, it's a truly amazing school. I have been doing research there all this year and it has been nothing short of spectacular. The students/staff are very laid back and seem to all move with purpose, rather than the lethargy exhibited by some of the other schools I have visited. Also, their academics are astounding and their resource network is giant (literally endless). I could go on forever, but I won't. :)

Members don't see this ad.

So, just to elaborate a bit. If the scholarship only extends to free tuition, I would probably go to UT-SW. The name could help you some if you want to go somewhere competitive or into something super-competitive. I think it would be worth the difference of <60K, especially if you could get some scholarship money and/or help from your family.

Seeming somewhat contradictory, I still don't think name matters all that much. My school has only been graduating med students for a few years, we have very few residencies associated with our school, most students have a pretty low MCAT/GPA and we aren't a big research institution (for medicine). I love my school, but it isn't a prestigious school by any measure. That being said I found great research opportunities (published and presented at a big conference), got great grades and got all the prep I needed to kill my boards. If you want to say "well, name matters if you want to go to a big name residency" - maybe, but I've gotten a total of 1 rejection and 2 WL out of 31 apps - without entirely outing myself to residency programs (if they ever search the pre-med boards), I have an invite at every big name program you could want.....I've actually been turning down a ton of stellar programs. A few months ago (before I applied), if you told me that I'd be turning down some of these places, I'd tell you that you're crazy. Really, it's the applicant >>>>> the school.

Again, relax. You're in an awesome situation and you can't go wrong (unless you go to the school with the scholarship and take that as an opportunity to spend whatever you want and rack up like 200K in debt, lol).

Good luck.