Full Ride at a newer med school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Salaam

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone! Looking for advice to help me choose a school.

I'm a Texas resident who recently prematched (received acceptances) at all 8 of the TX schools. I am very undecided about where I want to attend, but I really like the program and location at UTSW. However, I also just received a full tuition scholarship at Paul L. Foster School of Medicine in El Paso (a TTU school).

I also interviewed at Harvard and Baylor, but I won't hear back until the spring. I will have to commit to a TMDSAS school before then.

Anyways, should I go for the scholarship even though it's a newer school, or should I go for UTSW?

Members don't see this ad.

first off, congrats on all your acceptances. That is really impressive.

I would pick utsw over texas tech el paso because utsw is not really that expensive for the education you are getting. I think utsw is around 60k total for tuition and fees for all 4 years, which isn't bad at all.

The research opportunities, brand name and superior location would definitely lead me to pick utsw over tt if i were in your situation.

+1

Members don't see this ad :)
El Paso? You couldn't pay me enough to live there, dead srs. The weather there is just so terrible. Stick with UTSW :thumbup:

Agree with the above replies. Also, keep in mind that Dallas >>> El Paso.

Wait till you see what $$ other schools are offering. UTSW may very well give u a scholarship. Even if not, I would go to UTSW. Their tuition is pretty darn cheap anyway, and I think the extra money is worth it for the extra opportunities (atleast for me since I like research) and future name recognition (which is important despite what some on SDN might say).

Btw, I have the same choice as you, and I'm going UTSW. UTSW ftw.

There are a few things you really need to consider:

Does it come with a living stipend? Is it an MD school? Will you have any family support if you go somewhere else?

Do you have a significant bend towards any one specialty? This usually changes during school, but not always. If you're dead-set on ophtho, derm, radonc, etc, you may want to consider another school. Conversely, if you're set on family, IM, peds, etc, you'd be well served at the new school.

Do you have significant interest in research/academics? This may be harder from a new med school.

Remember, you can match neurosurgery from Podunk-U and people from UCSF go into family, it's just that certain school have it a little easier.

Finally, being in Texas, you have a rather unique situation. It's my understanding that Texas schools have some of the lowest cost of attendance around. If you were in the situation of having a private school with 60k tuition, it's a no-brainer, but that's not your situation. If I were anywhere else, I'd take the scholarship. I even applied to a school that did the same thing. But if you could go to UTSW, get a couple scholarships, some financial help from family and live very frugally, you could get out with under 100k in loans - I'd take that option.

Good luck. You're in a very enviable position and I don't think there's really a "wrong" answer. Enjoy your time before med school.

Wait till you see what $$ other schools are offering. UTSW may very well give u a scholarship. Even if not, I would go to UTSW. Their tuition is pretty darn cheap anyway, and I think the extra money is worth it for the extra opportunities (atleast for me since I like research) and future name recognition (which is important despite what some on SDN might say).

Btw, I have the same choice as you, and I'm going UTSW. UTSW ftw.

Name recognition is important, but only to a point. I have residency interviews at some powerhouse programs and I go to a lowly, no-name med school. Most of your app will be determined by you, not your school.

Name recognition is important, but only to a point. I have residency interviews at some powerhouse programs and I go to a lowly, no-name med school. Most of your app will be determined by you, not your school.

Still matters! Especially at top residency programs. There are also many other advantages UTSW has over el paso, the biggest is of which is that it is not located in el paso lol.

Go for UTSW. Their tuition cost is pretty low for such an outstanding program.

There are a few things you really need to consider:

Does it come with a living stipend? Is it an MD school? Will you have any family support if you go somewhere else?

Do you have a significant bend towards any one specialty? This usually changes during school, but not always. If you're dead-set on ophtho, derm, radonc, etc, you may want to consider another school. Conversely, if you're set on family, IM, peds, etc, you'd be well served at the new school.

Do you have significant interest in research/academics? This may be harder from a new med school.

Remember, you can match neurosurgery from Podunk-U and people from UCSF go into family, it's just that certain school have it a little easier.

Finally, being in Texas, you have a rather unique situation. It's my understanding that Texas schools have some of the lowest cost of attendance around. If you were in the situation of having a private school with 60k tuition, it's a no-brainer, but that's not your situation. If I were anywhere else, I'd take the scholarship. I even applied to a school that did the same thing. But if you could go to UTSW, get a couple scholarships, some financial help from family and live very frugally, you could get out with under 100k in loans - I'd take that option.

Good luck. You're in a very enviable position and I don't think there's really a "wrong" answer. Enjoy your time before med school.

This.

It all depends on your future goals and current financial situation. Congrats on the scholarship.

Congrats dude. I would say take it and destroy step 1, so that you can match into whatever you want... No debt = freedom. IMO

Congrats dude. I would say take it and destroy step 1, so that you can match into whatever you want... No debt = freedom. IMO

Scholarship doesn't cover living expenses. There will still be debt.

Members don't see this ad :)

I'm a Texas resident who recently prematched (received acceptances) at all 8 of the TX schools. I am very undecided about where I want to attend, but I really like the program and location at UTSW. However, I also just received a full tuition scholarship at Paul L. Foster School of Medicine in El Paso (a TTU school).

I also interviewed at Harvard and Baylor, but I won't hear back until the spring. I will have to commit to a TMDSAS school before then.

Anyways, should I go for the scholarship even though it's a newer school, or should I go for UTSW?

Oh wow!! Congrats on all of it, really. UTSW is a great school (I'm aiming for that one in the future) and in the case of the TTU school, full scholarships shouldn't be ignored. One thing I personally "regret" about my undergrad years was choosing not to go where I had a full ride (Valparaiso). I went for name brand and location instead (University of Georgia).

Tough call.

I'd be more inclined the accept the full ride if the other schools don't pan out. Texas Tech isn't a back of the woods school. It holds it's own merit.

FSU is a no-name med school? It may not be a highly revered medical school, but I doubt no-name is an accurate description.

Still matters! Especially at top residency programs. There are also many other advantages UTSW has over el paso, the biggest is of which is that it is not located in el paso lol.

Wow I didn't realize you had applied to residency programs. Please share more of your first hand insight.

He just said name recognition is important but only to a point. Maybe you missed that.

Considering 4 years at UTSW is as much as a year or two at most other schools, I think you shouldn't worry about price (even though free ride does sound nice).

Name recognition does matter for residency. The individual student does matter more, but that doesn't mean a big name can't give you a little boost.

How new is this school? There may be a difference between little name recognition and no recognition. More importantly, new schools may have to work out kinks with their first classes in terms of curriculum, etc. As well, are there other opportunities at this school in El Paso? UTSW will have all specialities (and highly ranked ones) that will allow you to get research opportunities and LORs from people in your desired specialty. Does El Paso have those same opportunities?

Money is an important factor for sure. But don't listen to the people who come on here and only say "go to the cheaper school, period." It is not that simple.

El Paso? You couldn't pay me enough to live there, dead srs. The weather there is just so terrible. Stick with UTSW :thumbup:

+1
I really would only go to El Paso if it's the only school I got an acceptance at. 60k is a small sum once you finish your training, go to the better school :)

First off, well done...the Texas sweep is no small accomplishment!

Hold off for a few days until you hear back completely from all of the schools. Wouldn't be suprised if you land a sizeable award from someone else as well, which would render this discussion pointless.

The cost difference of 60k is significant but I don't think is large enough to be the ultimate deciding factor. Go where you think you will be happiest. IMO name matters a little bit, but it is you, and not the school, that will ultimately determine how far you will go.

Wow I didn't realize you had applied to residency programs. Please share more of your first hand insight.

He just said name recognition is important but only to a point. Maybe you missed that.

I know he said important to a point. I agreed with my statement "still matters", as in yes it is important to a point but it still can make a difference.

Just because I don't have first hand experience with something doesn't mean I can't be informed about it. I never claimed to have first hand insight so I'm not sure why you brought it up...

:confused: Soo unnecessary. I guess all us pre-med's should just stop commenting on medical school and residency since we don't have "first hand insight"

No, no you shouldn't try to refute what someone who is actively going through through the residency application process says concerning residency applications. You just look like you have no idea what you're talking about (which is true). It'd be like if someone from high school tried to tell you about how to apply to medical school.

FSU had already said that name matters and then gave his reasoning behind why it matters to a certain point after writing an entire long post concerning the pros and cons for a number of different factors. When you respond with a line that basically goes "Oh yeah? Well I'm right too." like some little kid you deserve to get a response of "For real?" especially when you have no experience in the matter.

Last edited:
No, no you shouldn't try to refute what someone who is actively going through through the residency application process says concerning residency applications. You just look like you have no idea what you're talking about (which is true). It'd be like if someone from high school tried to tell you about how to apply to medical school.

FSU had already said that name matters and then gave his reasoning behind why it matters to a certain point after writing an entire long post concerning the pros and cons for a number of different factors. When you respond with a line that basically goes "Oh yeah? Well I'm right too." like some little kid you deserve to get called on it especially when you have no experience in the matter.

So it's basically the "we are med students, we are right" argument? Come on bro, you can do better.

Well as an El Pasoan I can tell you its really not that bad here. And cost of living is relatively cheap.

I would calculate just how much you would be saving. If its a significant amount >40k then I think the answer is pretty easy.

However you have to think about a lot of things, distance from family, clinical opportunities (TT-El Paso is some what limited in their rotation choices), and if you'd be happy living in a desert for 4 years.

Best of luck with whatever u choose.

It's more of the "someone else has already done it so they probably know more than you" argument.

You're right. I should definitely be required to apply for residencies before I make the completely uncalled for remark that name recognition does matter even if the extent is arguable. Hell, I should probably be required to be an attending with 50 years medical experience before I can even post on SDN...

many people at utsw get a 6k grant once you fill out your fafsa stuff. so, utsw

You're right. I should definitely be required to apply for residencies before I make the completely uncalled for remark that name recognition does matter even if the extent is arguable. Hell, I should probably be required to be an attending with 50 years medical experience before I can even post on SDN...

Your butthurt is showing bud.

For the record, I agreed with your first post about waiting for the fin aid to come back from UTSW. It was the second post that made me lol.

Utsw. 60 k isn't much at all for a top tier school. I can't imagine going to el paso. The location is not the best (neither is lubbock). It's also a newer school. I also think the techs have a strong emphasis on primary care, so you probably have way more opportunities at utsw if you want to specialize. Most schools give out money and financial aid so you prob will end up paying less than 60k.

Oh and as someone else said...rotation sites will probably be limited. I think it's good to make connections during that time so going to a school in a location in which you probably won't stay at is not as advantageous as going to utsw and rubbing noses with people at those hospitals in Dallas. Prob have a better shot at a better residency in a better city if you go to utsw.

Last edited:
Your butthurt is showing bud.

For the record, I agreed with your first post about waiting for the fin aid to come back from UTSW. It was the second post that made me lol.

Ah. So now we've switch to the "you mad" argument. I guess it's better than the med student card.

In an attempt to get back on topic, I'll reiterate what I was saying earlier:

OP, I have the exact same choice you do. I am choosing UTSW and here's why:

1. It's already cheap, and you might get scholarship money at UTSW as well
2. Research is big goal of mine, and UTSW has much much much more research potential than El Paso
3. School name matters somewhat (especially for top residency programs)
4. LORs matter, and you have a better chance of getting good LORs from UTSW as well as good connections in general
5. Dallas>>>>el paso
6. As far as I could see, el paso didn't have a hospital system that even remotely compared to parkland
7. el paso is surprisingly far from all other Texas cities, which meant Id have a 12 hour drive from friends and family

There are many other less important reasons, but these were the main ones for me.

Go with the one you prefer, scholarship or not, if your grades are as good as they seem, you will be able to pay it back in the future.

Edit: Your*

Last edited:

Baylor doesn't save all of its acceptances for spring. I got accepted in October last year (along with some other students, of course), and some others got accepted during November and December, from what I remember.

Also, don't forget how cheap tuition is at the TX med schools (even at Baylor). You won't dig yourself a very deep hole no matter what you decide.

Ah. So now we've switch to the "you mad" argument. I guess it's better than the med student card.

05d.jpg

Baylor doesn't save all of its acceptances for spring. I got accepted in October last year (along with some other students, of course), and some others got accepted during November and December, from what I remember.

Also, don't forget how cheap tuition is at the TX med schools (even at Baylor). You won't dig yourself a very deep hole no matter what you decide.

Baylor hasn't sent any acceptances yet this year it seems :/

Edit: except early decision

Can you elaborate? What is the name of the grant? Who would be eligible?

I dont remember the name of it. I think it was actually a 5k grant and 1k scholarship. Most people get the 5k grant, unless you're really rich.

FSU had already said that name matters and then gave his reasoning behind why it matters to a certain point after writing an entire long post concerning the pros and cons for a number of different factors. When you respond with a line that basically goes "Oh yeah? Well I'm right too." like some little kid you deserve to get a response of "For real?" especially when you have no experience in the matter.

I understand, I probably misinterpreted-- it sounded snooty when I read it so that's why I responded but if those weren't your intentions then I apologize.

I dont remember the name of it. I think it was actually a 5k grant and 1k scholarship. Most people get the 5k grant, unless you're really rich.

This may be a dumb question lol but do they do this for people who apply out of state? Or is it a texas resident kind of thing?

Hypothetically, would now be a good time for the OP to write LOIs to the non TMDSAS schools if he/she would prefer one of them over the TMDSAS schools?

What is the GPA/MCAT range of the avg student like OP, who gets accepted to every TX school and a full ride?

What is the GPA/MCAT range of the avg student like OP, who gets accepted to every TX school and a full ride?

I had 4.0/37 and got those results. A friend of mine did it with ~3.7/34, but he had good ECs. You have to be an above average applicant but not a superstar like alot of people on here.

I had 4.0/37 and got those results. A friend of mine did it with ~3.7/34, but he had good ECs. You have to be an above average applicant but not a superstar like alot of people on here.

what about 3.6/31/ORM ? with above average research and volunteering

what about 3.6/31/ORM ? with above average research and volunteering

I dunno. Your realm is more nebulous. My friend has ~3.8/32 with above avg research and no volunteering and his only first day prematch was el paso. He'll definitely get more, but he's not getting all the prematch offers on the first day wtih scholarship like some are.

Point is, you'll probably get into a good school, but not necessarily all of them and not necessarily on the first day. The application cycle is rough for everyone, you just have to be patient and do your best and you will end up ok.

I would take the full scholarship at El Paso. Honestly, you're a good student and will have good scores and grades no matter where you go, making you very competitive for residencies. Think how nice it would be to have ZERO loans to pay back. I think your future self would thank you.

I would take the full scholarship at El Paso. Honestly, you're a good student and will have good scores and grades no matter where you go, making you very competitive for residencies. Think how nice it would be to have ZERO loans to pay back. I think your future self would thank you.

So, I ended up getting interviews at UTH and UTSW and I pre-matched at UTH! I'm thrilled!!!! Still hoping for an eventual acceptance from UTSW but I'm not sure how likely that is.

12b4c19c69614a419999135e6dca5283.jpg

I also have no scholarship offers, which would definitely affect my preferences. Thank you.

Thank you for all of your responses! It has been very helpful in this time of decision-making to hear a variety of opinions. I think I'm leaning toward UTSW because that's where I felt the strongest fit. And incidentally, my family lives in the Dallas area, which is another draw. I think I'm going to conduct a few "second look" visits at my top choices (including El Paso), and hopefully that will bring further clarity.

I'm thankful that the tuition in Texas is cheap!

As for Baylor, I don't anticipate hearing anything from them until the Spring, just because I hear that's when the majority of their decisions come out. I'm really interested in their curriculum. From Harvard, who knows what to expect? It was great to interview with them, but I'm keeping my expectations low :)

I've known three other people who have prematched at all 8. Their stats were: 4.0 39, 4.0 36, 4.0 35. I'm 4.0 35. If that's your goal, based on these and what sliceofbread said, it looks like it's helpful to have a high GPA and an MCAT score in the mid-thirties or above. However, I'm sure there are many exceptions to this! Ultimately, there was not a single school in TX that I didn't like when I visited. It's nice to have some options, but certainly not necessary!

GrinchMD, thank you for the link. I found the article really helpful. Sliceofbread, best of luck in your decision making! Who knows, maybe we'll be classmates.

THANKS AGAIN EVERYONE!