Fun thread: What are three significant things that are not in any of your application materials (no bragging)?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Haven’t done a fun thread in a while, this one is a tactful no bragging three fun facts nowhere else in your application.

1) Along with my cat (who did make it to my primary) I have a Pomeranian named Leo who loves to give high fives and snores like a jet engine.
2) I was a homeowner and subsequently a landlord before I had my first credit card (long story that shouldn’t even touch my application with a ten foot pole).
3) I consider my cowlick my defining facial feature. So much swoop.

What about you?

Members don't see this ad.

If my cat gave high fives, that would have been marked as a meaningful experience on my AMCAS.

• Haha
Reactions: 12 users
1.) Was voted most likely to suck eggs in high school
2.) Am claustrophobic (afraid of Santa Claus)
3.) Last name is often misspelled as Tennisballs/Tortellini

• Haha
Reactions: 14 users
Members don't see this ad :)
  1. I don’t like pets...
  2. I held other jobs that didn’t make the cut including: working as a collections agent (mostly had to collect money from old people who didn’t realize what they were buying) and working as a TA in a machine shop (teaching students to mill, lathe, sand cast, and weld)
  3. Morbid fear of heights and car windows being open on the freeway

Reactions: 1 user
You have to be an OG to get this one.

Reactions: 5 users
Cowlick is located on the crown of your head, so it’s not the face. js

Unless it is on your face...? I actually don’t know if that’s possible. Which in that case I’d like to see pics.

Unless it is on your face...? I actually don’t know if that’s possible. Which in that case I’d like to see pics.

Cowlicks can actually be located anywhere on the head. They are just most common on the crown. Source: my wife is a cosmetologist

I am guessing meme has a gnarly one in the front

Reactions: 1 users
We always called cowlicks parts on the front side of the hair and parts on the back were crowns. There's probably a lot of variation in different regions

1) I can breathe really ear piercingly loud- like fill an entire room with this sound lol. I think its cool, but those on the listening-only end may not

2) I can do that pen twirl around my thumb forward and backward

3) t500 on overwatch/ maxed + completionist cape runescape account. yay for fantasy world achievements :lol: :lol: :lol:

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
1) I used to play guitar in a green day cover band

2) I won the "most improved" award for middle school basketball all four years (I must have started really far behind to be most improved and never win anything else)

3) my yawns sound like I'm speaking Wookie

am guessing meme has a gnarly one in the front
Yah, it is on my head, but it definitely pulls my face together lol This is without any styling...other than a comb

Attachments

• 952DD48E-16F0-445A-981F-BDFB4499C766.jpeg
    952DD48E-16F0-445A-981F-BDFB4499C766.jpeg
    12.7 KB · Views: 82
Last edited by a moderator:
I used to work in the newsroom of the largest daily newspaper where I grew up. That was fun.

I love to make things and I have many hobbies, but very few of them I do well enough that I can say "I'm a _____" (guitar player, artist, etc). My hobby is trying new hobbies and staying at the novice level at most of them. I would have more hobbies if resources allowed, but I don't have money, time, or space for it all.

I collect handmade mugs. I can't have many because of space issues, but I do enjoy buying one every year or two, even if it costs way too much money. I just got one at a renaissance festival I attended. I derive an inordinate amount of pleasure sipping tea out of it. I would love to be able to throw pottery and make my own, but alas, no money, time, or space for that.

My hobby is trying new hobbies and staying at the novice level at most of them.
Jack of all trades, master of none.
I derive an inordinate amount of pleasure sipping tea out of it.
The pleasure mug sounds like it would be one of those topless drive through coffee stands.
I would love to be able to throw pottery
Is this the term for making pottery...? I am just imagining you making a mug, using it, then chucking it at the wall to make another.

• Haha
Jack of all trades, master of none.

The pleasure mug sounds like it would be one of those topless drive through coffee stands.

Is this the term for making pottery...? I am just imagining you making a mug, using it, then chucking it at the wall to make another.
Haha, you know what I would enjoy better? Sitting in a booth at the front of a Dutch Brothers while yelling jeers at the drivers coming through while I sip my hot tea. Like r/roastme but in real life. It'd be in good fun though. You could make a business out of this. Tips appreciated. Bribes, too, for roasting the passengers.
And yeah, I think throwing is the correct term for the making of pottery, but what do I know? I'm a beginner at all of it. ;) Some days I would really enjoy some gratuitous mug smashing.

1) I have recently taken up punch needle embroidery cause I love to get crafty

2) I'm half-German and took four semesters of German in college (wish I had taken more). Trying to keep up with learning it via Duolingo. My hope is that if I get in this cycle that I'll do some traveling in German speaking countries before I start med school (if I don't totally blow my savings lol)

3) I have bad skin due to a medical condition and thus I'm a bit obsessed with skin care and sheet masks. Love me some Kbeauty. I can't spend a ton of money on skin care so sheet masks are a nice, relatively cheap indulgence (although I did just try like a $10 sheet mask out of curiosity :laugh:)

1.) I LOVE cats.

2.) I'm 24 and am dating my high school sweetheart.

3.) I drink way too much Diet Coke. I am always holding and sipping on a Diet Coke.

1) Pretty sure my blood is half coca-cola @cat_person_19
2) I hiked up to a 15k feet altitude lagoon in the Andes (granted, we started pretty high up to begin with, but it was a whole day affair)
3) My step-dad has a seafood restaurant and I eat wayyyy too much free fried catfish...

We have a sushi place called sushi Maru where the whole thing is just a sushi conveyor belt. You can walk in, grab food off the conveyor belt as it comes by, eat to your hearts content, pay at the table and leave never having to interact with anyone. It is an introvert-that-loves-to-eat-out’s dream.

Ever in Raleigh let me know, Ill get you hooked up :laugh:
Damnit raptor, I was just in Raleigh! Ok, next time. This is my most valuable networking moment yet.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Threw the final match at a Magic the Gathering PPTQ tournament because it was 4am and I didn't want to actually go to the RPTQ
What deck did you run? My pride and joy is my Forrest mana-spawn deck. By turn 4, 10 mana and summoning a 15/15 with lifelink and trample directly from my deck. That be how it do.

What deck did you run? My pride and joy is my Forrest mana-spawn deck. By turn 4, 10 mana and summoning a 15/15 with lifelink and trample directly from my deck. That be how it do.
1568323225693.gif

Reactions: 4 users
1) Pretty sure my blood is half coca-cola @cat_person_19
2) I hiked up to a 15k feet altitude lagoon in the Andes (granted, we started pretty high up to begin with, but it was a whole day affair)
3) My step-dad has a seafood restaurant and I eat wayyyy too much free fried catfish...

thanks. Got this down to do before my re-app, now to get a stepdad and have him open a restaurant next week

• Haha
Was OGW Standard. It was a more budget-friendly version of the 4-color rally deck that was popular at the time.

1. There’s not a single seafood menu item that I dislike. Except maybe.. eel

2. YELP ELITE. And yes that is a thing for you food/drink connoisseurs

3. I wrote the wikipedia page for one of my former mentors. That page has a life of its own now and edited by others since! :)

• Love

Is this for a certain number of reviews? I always forget to review places but I use yelp religiously... I have an ongoing list of places my wife and I want to try that is 22 restaurants long right now

• Love
Is this for a certain number of reviews? I always forget to review places but I use yelp religiously... I have an ongoing list of places my wife and I want to try that is 22 restaurants long right now

Not just # of reviewS haha but usually Reviews should be thorough and of descriptive. Spell check it and etc bc once you submit it, you cant fix it and then you have to email the restaurant telling them about your mistake (just kidding ;) -srry lame AMCAS joke haha

But yeah I do love exploring new places/food so I make an effort to share my experiences and also keep tabs on places i want to try.
Also, elite members get invites to yelp events which have free food plus drinks to promote new venues! Free food Always a plus i think:)

Last edited:
1. I love dogs so much, but am also pretty allergic to them. It’s pretty ruff

2. I unironically love Shrek because it was the only animated movie my parents liked, so my siblings and I watched it 100+ times

3. I’m actually a pretty decent baker! That’s how my grandma and I connected lol

I unironically love Shrek because it was the only animated movie my parents liked, so my siblings and I watched it 100+ times
Shrek is love. Shrek is life.

Legit question though - do people love shrek ironically? Like, it is a pretty good movie. Is has 3 shameless money grabbing sequels, but shrek one and the fandom are fantastic.

If you ever want the Shreking time of your life:

Squiddy is that you?

We have a sushi place called sushi Maru where the whole thing is just a sushi conveyor belt. You can walk in, grab food off the conveyor belt as it comes by, eat to your hearts content, pay at the table and leave never having to interact with anyone. It is an introvert-that-loves-to-eat-out’s dream.

I fear that someone in front of my at the conveyor belt would take the food I wanted everytime it came out. LOL

1. I golf pretty regularly.
2. I'm sort of the king of games when it comes to Yu-gi-oh.
3. I am a big time mommas boy, she is my world and has done so much for my siblings and I to make sure we survived.

I’m rather misanthropic

Shrek is love. Shrek is life.

Legit question though - do people love shrek ironically? Like, it is a pretty good movie. Is has 3 shameless money grabbing sequels, but shrek one and the fandom are fantastic.

This might be a controversial opinion, but I think Shrek 2 is the best Shrek movie.

• Wow
  • Love
1. There’s not a single seafood menu item that I dislike. Except maybe.. eel

3. I wrote the wikipedia page for one of my former mentors. That page has a life of its own now and edited by others since! :)
Eel is one of the only seafood items I do like.
Eel is actually the best. Everytime I get sushi I always look for the eel ones first :love: