"Funny quotes from 'less informed' pre-meds," On-Topic Edition

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I believe we can all agree with this, unless some of us are "less informed premeds" :naughty:

6152e3d0b66e2e5b82dab3064fcab067.jpg
This could be labeled things jsquared has forgotten since orgo.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Whatever! Love her either way- I had to actually go to wikipedia to find that out! The lengths people go to to prove someone wrong, on a tv show. sheesh
I actually had to go to wikipedia too, because I couldn't quite remember, but neurosurgery sounded off. Just poking a little fun! No harm intended 🙂
 
I was doing icebreakers for a friend's class. It was for high schoolers interested in medicine. Halfway through the lesson she suggested we go around asking who was interested in what.

Every person stated their interests in the form of "I'm going to be a ____."

The first girl said she was going to be a neurosurgeon. I was kind of flabbergasted; it's a bit presumptuous to say with any authority where you're going to match when you're 16. Someone said family med wasn't real med, and other people nodded.

This happened last year and it still rubs me the wrong way. They were all from wealthy families, and just expected to all become super-doctors. In reality maybe two or three in that room, statistically, will be any physician. Even a lowly primary care provider. Learn some humility. The absense of humility is how I'd describe every premed I've run across I haven't liked. It's been a minority, especially on the interview trail, but it's distasteful.
 
Last edited:
I'm a teacher. I was doing icebreakers for a friend's class. It was for high schoolers interested in medicine. Halfway through the lesson she suggested we go around asking who was interested in what.

Every person stated their interests in the form of "I'm going to be a ____."

The first girl said she was going to be a neurosurgeon. I was kind of flabbergasted; it's a bit presumptuous to say with any authority where you're going to match when you're 16. Someone said family med wasn't real med, and other people nodded.

This happened last year and it still rubs me the wrong way. They were all from wealthy families, and just expected to all become super-doctors. In reality maybe two or three in that room, statistically, will be any physician. Even a lowly primary care provider. Learn some humility. The absense of humility is how I'd describe every premed I've run across I haven't liked. It's been a minority, especially on the interview trail, but it's distasteful.

Most of them won't be physicians because they will find something they are much more interested in. Everyone that starts out as a bio major or pre-med in undergrad and doesn't end up a doctor didn't fail and have to choose a back-up plan. SDN seems to think being a doctor is the be-all and end-all of professions. It's not.
 
I'm a teacher. I was doing icebreakers for a friend's class. It was for high schoolers interested in medicine. Halfway through the lesson she suggested we go around asking who was interested in what.

Every person stated their interests in the form of "I'm going to be a ____."

The first girl said she was going to be a neurosurgeon. I was kind of flabbergasted; it's a bit presumptuous to say with any authority where you're going to match when you're 16. Someone said family med wasn't real med, and other people nodded.

This happened last year and it still rubs me the wrong way. They were all from wealthy families, and just expected to all become super-doctors. In reality maybe two or three in that room, statistically, will be any physician. Even a lowly primary care provider. Learn some humility. The absense of humility is how I'd describe every premed I've run across I haven't liked. It's been a minority, especially on the interview trail, but it's distasteful.

I don't know. I grew up in a place that would be described as "less desirable" in all the residency placement threads. I came from a family of doctors... who were all subspecialists, and all their friends were subspecialists. All the PCPs in the area were foreign trained. At my local state school, all but 2 of the residents in the IM program were foreign grads (***this has changed, btw***). I really had an impression until I got to med school that in general, US grads didn't do primary care.

Naievity can be overcome.
 
On the very last day of my MCAT class, a girl said "but [teacher], you never taught us about the writing portion of the exam!" We all stared at her, and she seemed genuinely surprised to learn that there is no longer a writing portion. Do people not even research the format of the test before undertaking it?????

Also, on the first day of the same class, our teacher asked us what day we were planning on taking the exam. One kid said April 2015. The teacher said "you know it will be a completely different test, right?" Again, the kid seemed genuinely surprised; he had no idea the test was changing. What is wrong with people???!!!!!!
 
Do people not even research the format of the test before undertaking it????? What is wrong with people???!!!!!!

A girl in my organic chemistry class told us that her boyfriend took the MCAT in January. He had been studying for the new version and was completely taken by surprise on test day when he saw it was still the old format. I can imagine the score that sort of ignorance would lead to. She really picked a winner. :laugh:
 
On the very last day of my MCAT class, a girl said "but [teacher], you never taught us about the writing portion of the exam!" We all stared at her, and she seemed genuinely surprised to learn that there is no longer a writing portion. Do people not even research the format of the test before undertaking it?????

Also, on the first day of the same class, our teacher asked us what day we were planning on taking the exam. One kid said April 2015. The teacher said "you know it will be a completely different test, right?" Again, the kid seemed genuinely surprised; he had no idea the test was changing. What is wrong with people???!!!!!!

The way some of these kids act, you'd think google was invented yesterday....
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So my friend from bio lab (she's really sweet, smart and conscientious, so I don't know where this came from) wants to be a doctor. She was somehow under the impression that med school was just two years and then you could totes practice and be a doctor.

Oh my dear, sweet, summer child. Have a seat. How much time do you have?
 
"College has ruined many a good truck driver" -attributed to Bart Giamatti, Commissioner of Baseball

On the very last day of my MCAT class, a girl said "but [teacher], you never taught us about the writing portion of the exam!" We all stared at her, and she seemed genuinely surprised to learn that there is no longer a writing portion. Do people not even research the format of the test before undertaking it?????

Also, on the first day of the same class, our teacher asked us what day we were planning on taking the exam. One kid said April 2015. The teacher said "you know it will be a completely different test, right?" Again, the kid seemed genuinely surprised; he had no idea the test was changing. What is wrong with people???!!!!!!
 
Most of them won't be physicians because they will find something they are much more interested in. Everyone that starts out as a bio major or pre-med in undergrad and doesn't end up a doctor didn't fail and have to choose a back-up plan. SDN seems to think being a doctor is the be-all and end-all of professions. It's not.

On a related note to this and less informed premeds, this video was uploaded by a bunch of guys from a campus radio show who (with permission from the real prof) pretended to be the Gen Chem I professor on the first day of class to crush the hopes and dreams of young, bright-eyed freshmen.



The reaction to the demonstration at ~1:20 is priceless.
 
On a related note to this and less informed premeds, this video was uploaded by a bunch of guys from a campus radio show who (with permission from the real prof) pretended to be the Gen Chem I professor on the first day of class to crush the hopes and dreams of young, bright-eyed freshmen.



The reaction to the demonstration at ~1:20 is priceless.

This was at my undergrad campus! It was absolutely hysterical to read about in the school paper, and then it was awesome to have it spread online. Those poor freshmen were terrified.
 
On a related note to this and less informed premeds, this video was uploaded by a bunch of guys from a campus radio show who (with permission from the real prof) pretended to be the Gen Chem I professor on the first day of class to crush the hopes and dreams of young, bright-eyed freshmen.



The reaction to the demonstration at ~1:20 is priceless.



LOVE IT
 
I have at least 10 friends I've known that have taken the MCAT with zero prep, and another ~3-5 who bought prep courses during a semester of 16+ upper division hours and didn't devote any time to it. None of them scored over 28. I don't really understand why you'd take the test that decides if you get the future you want without prepping but more power to them I guess.

The pre-med advising at my school is absolutely abysmal as well. My adviser tried to tell me if I didn't maintain at least 18 credit hours a semester med schools might reject my application. Like wut. He also told me to try to take the MCAT without any prep if it means I'd graduate in 4 years over 5 which may explain my first point. :smack:
 
I have at least 10 friends I've known that have taken the MCAT with zero prep, and another ~3-5 who bought prep courses during a semester of 16+ upper division hours and didn't devote any time to it. None of them scored over 28. I don't really understand why you'd take the test that decides if you get the future you want without prepping but more power to them I guess.

The pre-med advising at my school is absolutely abysmal as well. My adviser tried to tell me if I didn't maintain at least 18 credit hours a semester med schools might reject my application. Like wut. He also told me to try to take the MCAT without any prep if it means I'd graduate in 4 years over 5 which may explain my first point. :smack:

I'd probably complain to a dean about the misinformation being spread here.
 
In intro bio laboratory (~25-30 people), we all had to introduce ourselves with our name, major, hometown, and "an interesting fact about ourselves." For the interesting fact, one girl (a freshman) said she was a triple major in biochemistry, molecular bio, and neuroscience and that she was going to attend Johns Hopkins Med and do a double neurosurgery/surgical oncology residency, also at JHU (not quite sure they offer that particular program lol). The way she said it was really aggressive, and it definitely made us all feel awkward because most people were saying things like, "I play intramural soccer." On top of that, she would always answer every question the T.A. asked without raising her hand and she would constantly interrupt other students when they were answering a question. 90% of the time she was WRONG, but it didn't deter her at all from arguing with the TA and sometimes the professor. I also had the joy of having her in my orgo 1 lab, where she introduced herself in the same way and was super aggressive during discussion and lab, except her wrong percentage went up to ~99%. Unfortunately (tears), she stopped coming to class halfway through the semester and I never saw her in any of my classes again.

I think it's safe to say that she never made it to her double residency lol.
 
I have at least 10 friends I've known that have taken the MCAT with zero prep, and another ~3-5 who bought prep courses during a semester of 16+ upper division hours and didn't devote any time to it. None of them scored over 28. I don't really understand why you'd take the test that decides if you get the future you want without prepping but more power to them I guess.

The pre-med advising at my school is absolutely abysmal as well. My adviser tried to tell me if I didn't maintain at least 18 credit hours a semester med schools might reject my application. Like wut. He also told me to try to take the MCAT without any prep if it means I'd graduate in 4 years over 5 which may explain my first point. :smack:

This is why I never saw the premed advisor at my undergrad. I've never had a good experience with advisors/counselors at schools, so I got used to just researching issues on my own. Much better.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Most allopathic medical schools are now moving to a grading system of H/HP/P/DO. I believe it has something to do with the upcoming residency merger.
Could you elaborate? I'm unfamiliar with the acronyms and out of touch with the merger (been hearing about it for a while).
 
Could you elaborate? I'm unfamiliar with the acronyms and out of touch with the merger (been hearing about it for a while).
They were making a joke by substituting in 'DO' where 'F' would usually go in the H/HP/P/F grading system. That is not how the merger actually works, but is more a sarcastic commentary on those who denigrate DOs as somehow lesser than MDs.
 
Hey guys, thought I'd share this. The girl obscured by pink is your basic (pH=14), affluent by proxy sorority girl. She has failed general chemistry I twice, has failed general biology I despite the fact that she had a test bank, she is an excessive user of Clutch tutoring service, which charges $20 per lecture, she also has a propensity for belittling people and sequentially one-upping them, and her parents have connections, which allowed her to get her claws in some type of scribe position. Her latest caveat was making up a prize for herself and broadcasting it.

Screen Shot 2015-04-06 at 8.22.49 AM.png
 
Last edited:
Hey guys, thought I'd share this. The girl obscured by pink is your basic (pH=14), affluent by proxy sorority girl. She has failed general chemistry I twice, has failed general biology I despite the fact that she had a test bank, she is an excessive user of Clutch tutoring service, which charges $20 per lecture, she also has a propensity for belittling people and sequentially one-upping them, and her parent's have connections, which allowed her to get her claws in some type of scribe position. Her latest caveat was making up a prize for herself and broadcasting it.

View attachment 190990



http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nobel_Prize_in_Physiology_or_Medicine


She's not wrong. Just not using the full title.
 
Maybe I'm missing something on the link, but she said "Nobel Peace Prize in Medicine" as opposed to Nobel Prize in Medicine, which is what I'm thinking you saw. The last time I checked, which was before looking a the link you provided, The Nobel Peace prize is actually one of the five that exist, she combined it with the Nobel Prize in Medicine or Physiology to create the aforementioned hybrid.
 
Maybe I'm missing something on the link, but she said "Nobel Peace Prize in Medicine" as opposed to Nobel Prize in Medicine, which is what I'm thinking you saw. The last time I checked, which was before looking a the link you provided, The Nobel Peace prize is actually one of the five that exist, she combined it with the Nobel Prize in Medicine or Physiology to create the aforementioned hybrid.

Oh I get yah.

I just didn't read your post carefully enough before responding. 😳
 
Hey guys, thought I'd share this. The girl obscured by pink is your basic (pH=14), affluent by proxy sorority girl. She has failed general chemistry I twice, has failed general biology I despite the fact that she had a test bank, she is an excessive user of Clutch tutoring service, which charges $20 per lecture, she also has a propensity for belittling people and sequentially one-upping them, and her parents have connections, which allowed her to get her claws in some type of scribe position. Her latest caveat was making up a prize for herself and broadcasting it.

View attachment 190990
My god.... this is a bit sad. Though I wish MY parents were that supportive, haha!
 
Community college. Gym class.

Me: So what do you wanna be when you grow up?
Pretty Classmate: I'm gonna be a psychiatrist!
Me: Wow! That's pretty cool, I'm pursuing the same profession! Where are you at? Almost ready to transfer?
PC: Not yet. I'm in my third year. I want to take some extra time with algebra because I didn't do so well. And then I think I'll take general chemistry... (At this point I tuned out and simply enjoyed the view of her jogging on the treadmill)
Me: Oh...that's very interesting...

On a side note another very pretty classmate from that gym class failed out due to attendance (lack thereof) to do a porno. I didn't find out until a few weeks later when my classmate saw fit to show me the evidence on his phone.

Ah...community college...
 
Hey guys, thought I'd share this. The girl obscured by pink is your basic (pH=14), affluent by proxy sorority girl. She has failed general chemistry I twice, has failed general biology I despite the fact that she had a test bank, she is an excessive user of Clutch tutoring service, which charges $20 per lecture, she also has a propensity for belittling people and sequentially one-upping them, and her parents have connections, which allowed her to get her claws in some type of scribe position. Her latest caveat was making up a prize for herself and broadcasting it.

View attachment 190990
Burn her with fire.
 
I was talking to a guy recently and he seemed really smart and well prepared. He told me he did really good on the MCAT, and told me that he took it twice. I am an MCAT instructor so I was curious about his scores and how he raised it. He told me his first score was a 37.
I said "wow, you retook that? Pretty bold, but it amazing that you raised your score from a 37."

Him: "no my second score was a 33"

Me: "..."

Him: "my parents convinced me that I could do better so I tried again, I never studied for either."

He seemed very pleased.
 
Maybe I'm missing something on the link, but she said "Nobel Peace Prize in Medicine" as opposed to Nobel Prize in Medicine, which is what I'm thinking you saw. The last time I checked, which was before looking a the link you provided, The Nobel Peace prize is actually one of the five that exist, she combined it with the Nobel Prize in Medicine or Physiology to create the aforementioned hybrid.

What are you talking about dude? Of course the Nobel Peace Prize in Medicine is a real thing, but you need to do a double residency in Pediatric cardio-neurology and slaying poontang at Johnny Hopkins to qualify.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Couldn't remember if I posted this on the old thread but there was a Freshman way back when I was taking prereqs who would wear a doctor's coat with his name embroidered on it. Arrogant and seemed like he didn't understand anything in his classes. I wonder where he is now....

Oh and it was always hilarious hearing students waiting to apply to MD programs in October because they were telling me it doesn't matter when you apply. They also only applied to 4 schools. I ran into them 6 months later and they didn't get any interviews and were really depressed. One of them decided it was a better idea to get his Master's in chemistry now so he can reapply in 2 years (when his MCAT score is no longer valid). I didn't say anything though... not like they would have listened anyway :smack:
 
I think someone was lying to you.

I was talking to a guy recently and he seemed really smart and well prepared. He told me he did really good on the MCAT, and told me that he took it twice. I am an MCAT instructor so I was curious about his scores and how he raised it. He told me his first score was a 37.
I said "wow, you retook that? Pretty bold, but it amazing that you raised your score from a 37."

Him: "no my second score was a 33"

Me: "..."

Him: "my parents convinced me that I could do better so I tried again, I never studied for either."

He seemed very pleased.
 
It's french for hospital.

Yeah but I think that was the guy's last name (Guillaume de l'Hôpital). Kind of like how I don't translate Beaumont into beautiful mountain or the million other translatable last names. Which reminds me. I hate it when people have French or other language-derived last names and they massacre it. There I said it. I HATE YOU PEOPLE.
 
Yeah but I think that was the guy's last name (Guillaume de l'Hôpital). Kind of like how I don't translate Beaumont into beautiful mountain or the million other translatable last names. Which reminds me. I hate it when people have French or other language-derived last names and they massacre it. There I said it. I HATE YOU PEOPLE.
Pourquoi tu ne l'aime pas?