"Funny quotes from 'less informed' pre-meds," On-Topic Edition

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Which reminds me. I hate it when people have French or other language-derived last names and they massacre it. There I said it. I HATE YOU PEOPLE.

Went to Montreal once. Tried to check into a hotel, our room was reserved under my friend whose last name is "Lajoie". Go to the front desk and try to check in:

"No, we don't have any rooms under the name 'lah-joy'. Sorry."

.......

"Could you check again? It's spelled l-a-j-o-i-e....."

"Oh, monsieur 'Lah-jshzwa'?"


You could tell that the guy loved doing this to tourists 😡
 
Went to Montreal once. Tried to check into a hotel, our room was reserved under my friend whose last name is "Lajoie". Go to the front desk and try to check in:

"No, we don't have any rooms under the name 'lah-joy'. Sorry."

.......

"Could you check again? It's spelled l-a-j-o-i-e....."

"Oh, monsieur 'Lah-jshzwa'?"


You could tell that the guy loved doing this to tourists 😡

A receptionist after my own heart. 😀

EDIT: My cousin and I went to Paris and were on the metro and these two girls were standing next to us and talking about us (our clothes, about how dumb Americans are) in French. I let them talk for like 5-10 minutes then when I was about to get off I said "oh... you were kind of right, but not all Americans are like us" in French. Their faces through the closing metro doors were pretty priceless.
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
A friend sent me the following to describe a related case that happened at his hospital few weeks ago.

PrickHisBoil.jpg
 
I was talking to a guy recently and he seemed really smart and well prepared. He told me he did really good on the MCAT, and told me that he took it twice. I am an MCAT instructor so I was curious about his scores and how he raised it. He told me his first score was a 37.
I said "wow, you retook that? Pretty bold, but it amazing that you raised your score from a 37."

Him: "no my second score was a 33"

Me: "..."

Him: "my parents convinced me that I could do better so I tried again, I never studied for either."

He seemed very pleased.


"Tis better to let someone think you are an idiot, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt."
 
Hey guys, thought I'd share this. The girl obscured by pink is your basic (pH=14), affluent by proxy sorority girl. She has failed general chemistry I twice, has failed general biology I despite the fact that she had a test bank, she is an excessive user of Clutch tutoring service, which charges $20 per lecture, she also has a propensity for belittling people and sequentially one-upping them, and her parents have connections, which allowed her to get her claws in some type of scribe position. Her latest caveat was making up a prize for herself and broadcasting it.

View attachment 190990

This worries me. May god have mercy on the doctors that have to review her charts.
 
This doesn't have to do with pre-meds so much as it has to do with people getting to know me.

New person: "What are you going to school for?"

Me: "Biology."

New person: "What are you going to do with that?"

Me: "Well, I'd like to go to medical school and eventually become a doctor."

New person: "Oh cool, yeah I could never do that: it takes too long, something about not liking blood, too much money, etc."

In my mind: "I don't give a s*** about whether or not you could get in medical school. It does not matter."
 
I also get made fun of for being a bio major from other pre-meds: "Everyone majors in biology ." *scoffs*

/rant inb4 back2math
 
This doesn't have to do with pre-meds so much as it has to do with people getting to know me.

New person: "What are you going to school for?"

Me: "Biology."

New person: "What are you going to do with that?"

Me: "Well, I'd like to go to medical school and eventually become a doctor."

New person: "Oh cool, yeah I could never do that: it takes too long, something about not liking blood, too much money, etc."

In my mind: "I don't give a s*** about whether or not you could get in medical school. It does not matter."
I think this is just called "hating small talk".
 
This doesn't have to do with pre-meds so much as it has to do with people getting to know me.

New person: "What are you going to school for?"

Me: "Biology."

New person: "What are you going to do with that?"

Me: "Well, I'd like to go to medical school and eventually become a doctor."

New person: "Oh cool, yeah I could never do that: it takes too long, something about not liking blood, too much money, etc."

In my mind: "I don't give a s*** about whether or not you could get in medical school. It does not matter."


That's just as bad as when I tell people I served in the Marine Corps and they say that they thought about enlisting but never did.... What do I say to that? "Ummm cool dude"
 
That's just as bad as when I tell people I served in the Marine Corps and they say that they thought about enlisting but never did.... What do I say to that? "Ummm cool dude"

As if thinking about enlisting earns them brownie points or something. lol
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
No, they just want him to know that if they wanted to do it they could have done it and that they are definitely equal to him if not better, in their mind(s).
I always saw that sort of reaction as "oh, cool, I am somewhat familiar with the basics of that and it is something I could have seen myself doing aka I have respect for what you do and perhaps we have some common ground somewhere, however slight."
 
Hey guys, thought I'd share this. The girl obscured by pink is your basic (pH=14), affluent by proxy sorority girl. She has failed general chemistry I twice, has failed general biology I despite the fact that she had a test bank, she is an excessive user of Clutch tutoring service, which charges $20 per lecture, she also has a propensity for belittling people and sequentially one-upping them, and her parents have connections, which allowed her to get her claws in some type of scribe position. Her latest caveat was making up a prize for herself and broadcasting it.

View attachment 190990
Update: she switched out of the physics major because she learned she had to take math classes beyond calculus I.
 
Something that has developed into a pet peeve of mine after hearing these few statements in the past two weeks:

"I want to be a cardiologist" -premed with zero experience
"I'm going to be a neurosurgeon"-premed with zero experience

I swear if I hear another "I'm going to be" or "I want to be some specialty" I'm going to pull my hair out. One sounds much more intelligent and open-minded if you say "right now I'm interested in cardiology but that may change." For the love of god, end the career-oriented myopia. Or if you're going to speak about a specialty at the very least have some experience with it.... Life isn't television.
 
Something that has developed into a pet peeve of mine after hearing these few statements in the past two weeks:

"I want to be a cardiologist" -premed with zero experience
"I'm going to be a neurosurgeon"-premed with zero experience

I swear if I hear another "I'm going to be" or "I want to be some specialty" I'm going to pull my hair out. One sounds much more intelligent and open-minded if you say "right now I'm interested in cardiology but that may change." For the love of god, end the career-oriented myopia. Or if you're going to speak about a specialty at the very least have some experience with it.... Life isn't television.

Calm down.

There are enough opportunities to lose hair later in life.
 
Something that has developed into a pet peeve of mine after hearing these few statements in the past two weeks:

"I want to be a cardiologist" -premed with zero experience
"I'm going to be a neurosurgeon"-premed with zero experience

I swear if I hear another "I'm going to be" or "I want to be some specialty" I'm going to pull my hair out. One sounds much more intelligent and open-minded if you say "right now I'm interested in cardiology but that may change." For the love of god, end the career-oriented myopia. Or if you're going to speak about a specialty at the very least have some experience with it.... Life isn't television.
That's not bad at all; everyone does that. A want implies the fact that it may or may not happen, anyways.

This is really annoying - I volunteer with this high school senior who says hello to me and then immediately tells me how busy she is going to be when she gets off observing maxillofacial surgeries.

One time she complained about seeing "a thousand of them" and how MF surgeries were becoming boring. Finally, I asked, "Well, do you think I could observe with you sometime?" She took my number down three weeks ago, and I haven't heard a peep.

She also had this knee-jerk reaction when she found out I got my scribe job. LOL. She made this face like she was drinking sour milk.

Luckily for me she transferred to same-day-surgery to "pursue her love of surgery."
 
That's not bad at all; everyone does that. A want implies the fact that it may or may not happen, anyways.

Everyone does it early on. I just think it's incredibly stupid to talk about wanting something you know nothing about, looking back.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Everyone does it early on. I just think it's incredibly stupid to talk about wanting something you know nothing about, looking back.
They're just a product of our culture. Most people prop physicians on the highest social pedestal as if it's not just another job; they want to fit in.
 
Something that has developed into a pet peeve of mine after hearing these few statements in the past two weeks:

"I want to be a cardiologist" -premed with zero experience
"I'm going to be a neurosurgeon"-premed with zero experience

I swear if I hear another "I'm going to be" or "I want to be some specialty" I'm going to pull my hair out. One sounds much more intelligent and open-minded if you say "right now I'm interested in cardiology but that may change." For the love of god, end the career-oriented myopia. Or if you're going to speak about a specialty at the very least have some experience with it.... Life isn't television.

I'm definitely going EM if nothing else interests me more. 😛
 
So this is the appropriate thread for this I believe. So I am in Biochemistry this semester, which I never took for my undergrad and I start talking to this young guy in the class who's a junior and wants to go PA.

Guy: Man, no offense to MD's, but I would rather goto an Naturopathic Doctor
Me: You know your gonna work under MD's right?
Guy: Yeah but I am gonna be more natural focused and more holistic
Me: :smack:

Same guy Later: Dude your a nurse, I didn't know that, can you answer something for me?
Me: sure
Guy: So I saw a DO in the hospital and I am not sure why he was there I thought DOs can't work in hospitals
Me: DO's are fully licensed physicians they can do any specialty a MD can.
Guy: Are you serious? I thought they were all about alternative medicine....

A short time later
Premed #2: Yeah DO can't be surgeons, the orthopaedic surgeon I shadowed with said so.
Me: He was joking, I work with DO surgeons everyday
Premed #2: What! DO's can do surgery!?! Are you sure?
Me: Yes
Premed #2: Well I will just go MD to be sure...
Me: thinking:enjoy the Caribbean.

And last but not least, a 'accepted' premed student (condensed version):
Me: So what have you been upto since I last saw you
Premed #3: I got into medical school
Me: Congratulations man, which one?
Premed #3: Southwest College of Naturopathic Medicine
Me: :wow::smack: So what made you decide to go ND?
Premed #3: I am really into preventative medicine and MD's just treat the symptom not the disease.
Me: You don't seriously believe that
Premed #3: Its true, thats why they (MD's) shoot down alternative treatments. ND's base their care on each pt's need that's why they don't always work.
Me: Maybe it doesn't work cause it doesn't work. Thats why MD's (and DO's) do evidence based care. If the naturopathic way worked, you could prove it was evidence based, and than MD's would use it.
Premed #3: Well that's cause they focus on treating symptoms, you can't always show that things work.....
Me: Yeah, no.

Same guy, now he wants to goto actual medical school

Premed #3 talking to other students excitedly: Yeah I looked it up and Lecoms average MCAT is a 24!
Me: Yeah that's not true
Premed #3: No it really is!
Me: *No comment*

Week later:
Premed #3 now has a First Aid Step 1 USMLE book
Me: Getting alittle ahead of yourself there partner?
Premed #3: No, this thing will be great prep for the MCAT
Me: Have you taken a practice MCAT exam yet?
Premed #3: No, I am saving it for later, but I am gonna study with this.
Me::bang:
 
Last edited:
A receptionist after my own heart. 😀

EDIT: My cousin and I went to Paris and were on the metro and these two girls were standing next to us and talking about us (our clothes, about how dumb Americans are) in French. I let them talk for like 5-10 minutes then when I was about to get off I said "oh... you were kind of right, but not all Americans are like us" in French. Their faces through the closing metro doors were pretty priceless.

I love when people think you can't understand them, when you can!
 
So this is the appropriate thread for this I believe. So I am in Biochemistry this semester, which I never took for my undergrad and I start talking to this young guy in the class whose a junior and wants to go PA.

Guy: Man, no offense to MD's, but I would rather goto an Naturopathic Doctor
Me: You know your gonna work under MD's right?
Guy: Yeah but I am gonna be more natural focused and more holistic
Me: :smack:

Same guy Later: Dude your a nurse, I didn't know that, can you answer something for me?
Me: sure
Guy: So I saw a DO in the hospital and I am not sure why he was there I thought DOs can't work in hospitals
Me: DO's are fully licensed physicians they can do any specialty a MD can.
Guy: Are you serious? I thought they were all about alternative medicine....

A short time later
Premed #2: Yeah DO can't be surgeons, the orthopaedic surgeon I shadowed with said so.
Me: He was joking, I work with DO surgeons everyday
Premed #2: What! DO's can do surgery!?! Are you sure?
Me: Yes
Premed #2: Well I will just go MD to be sure...
Me: thinking:enjoy the Caribbean.

And last but not least, a 'accepted' premed student (condensed version):
Me: So what have you been upto since I last saw you
Premed #3: I got into medical school
Me: Congratulations man, which one?
Premed #3: Southwest College of Naturopathic Medicine
Me: :wow::smack: So what made you decide to go ND?
Premed #3: I am really into preventative medicine and MD's just treat the symptom not the disease.
Me: You don't seriously believe that
Premed #3: Its true, thats why they (MD's) shoot down alternative treatments. ND's base their care on each pt's need that's why they don't always work.
Me: Maybe it doesn't work cause it doesn't work. Thats why MD's (and DO's) do evidence based care. If the naturopathic way worked, you could prove it was evidence based, and than MD's would use it.
Premed #3: Well that's cause they focus on treating symptoms, you can't always show that things work.....
Me: Yeah, no.

Same guy, now he wants to goto actual medical school

Premed #3 talking to other students excitedly: Yeah I looked it up and Lecoms average MCAT is a 24!
Me: Yeah that's not true
Premed #3: No it really is!
Me: *No comment*

Week later:
Premed #3 now has a First Aid Step 1 USMLE book
Me: Getting alittle ahead of yourself there partner?
Premed #3: No, this thing will be great prep for the MCAT
Me: Have you taken a practice MCAT exam yet?
Premed #3: No, I am saving it for later, but I am gonna study with this.
Me::bang:

Don't be upset. These people make our applications look fantastic.
 
I love your tagline, I thought it was serious for a second, and then realized it was a joke and got a great laugh out of it. Yes, Asystole is indeed, not a shockable rhythm.

Glad you find it entertaining - I know I do! It matches the avatar - "the face you make when movie medics shock asystole." Which happens ALL THE TIME for some reason. I wonder how medical consults in Hollywood still don't address this?

Incidentally, the "shock flatline" is something I've heard even from premeds when I tell them I'm an EMT. Bad imitations of CPR usually follow, lol
 
Glad you find it entertaining - I know I do! It matches the avatar - "the face you make when movie medics shock asystole." Which happens ALL THE TIME for some reason. I wonder how medical consults in Hollywood still don't address this?

Incidentally, the "shock flatline" is something I've heard even from premeds when I tell them I'm an EMT. Bad imitations of CPR usually follow, lol
The words in your avvie are cut off for some people. You can parse out what it's saying if you try, but it doesn't jump out at you. Makes it harder to detect the sarcasm, I guess?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Every premed at my school:

Goes on one week international volunteering trip, claim that they are set for the rest of undergrad volunteer experience.

Do one summer session of research, "I'm doing this to get into duke because I heard duke really likes research."
I have a friend who nearly quoted your second line. She did a summer research program at Duke and said "I'm going to apply to Duke because I did a summer program there"
She made a 28 on her MCAT and their 10 percentile is a 31.
Granted she isn't completely oblivious and knows it's a reach, but I'm not sure if she realizes how much of a reach it is hah.
 
Today a senior was telling me how our undergraduate pre-med adviser was a dream crusher and overall not very helpful.
This particular student got chewed out for applying to MD only schools from the adviser who specifically told him to apply to both and emphasize DO apps.

I asked him his stats and he said he scored a 29 on the old MCAT and had a < 3.6 GPA.

Also, he has very mediocre volunteer activities and little research. He basically isn't okay with being a DO so he's convinced himself he's a fit for most MD schools.
 
I remember mentioning this in your previous "Off-topic" thread about how bimbos get so impressed when someone is studying "pre-med." When I was walking in the hallway, I overheard a girl telling her friend that she was so proud of her boyfriend as a "pre-med" major, as if it was an automatic acceptance to Medical School :eyebrow:.... SMH
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Not stupid, mostly lazy, winch is worse in my book.

Taking post-bacc classes at a local state school two years ago. Pre-med advisor suggests I arrange a mcat study group. Message everyone. Seven people commit. Show up to the library. No one there. Wait. No one. Give up after 15 minutes, go study on my own. Guy walks in 45 minutes late to study.

This is the yield at my bush league state school. 45 minutes late, or no showing.

Home boy who shows up wants to study ochem instead. Cool. Start studying, dude drops that he hasn't read the book or done practice problems all semester. Only wants to do practice problems, manages to get most wrong. Show him the right answers. Afterward he says "Oh of course!" "Oh, obviously." "Guess I overthought that one!" "Indubitably."

"Indubitably."

Who says indubitably. Am I being pranked? Is Jamie Kennedy about to jump out?

Credit where it's due, guy has dope research, seems smart, if only half as smart as he thinks he is. Ask where he wants to go. Harvard is his target, is unwilling to go to any school outside of the top 10.

Fast forward two years. I actually don't have a follow up. But I seriously hope indubitably got into Harvard.