"Funny quotes from 'less informed' pre-meds," On-Topic Edition

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I would have immediately responded by plugging his score into a percentile curve and calling out his bull****.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
A conversation I overheard between two pre-meds, presumably studying for Intro to Neuroscience:

girl 1: *pointing at back of neck* so this would be the cervical spine?
girl 2: Noooo, your cervix is down wayyyy lower!

Reactions: 18 users
A conversation I overheard between two pre-meds, presumably studying for Intro to Neuroscience:

girl 1: *pointing at back of neck* so this would be the cervical spine?
girl 2: Noooo, your cervix is down wayyyy lower!
In my experience, this is more common than you'd hope, but less common than you'd think.

Reactions: 3 users
In my experience, this is more common than you'd hope, but less common than you'd think.

I accidentally said cervical pain to a preceptor for neck pain because I was tired and almost mentally checked out. They gave me a strange look of disappointment and quickly corrected me.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 3 users
First time I've been on this thread, but wow. Call me sensitive, but many things I've read here is just plain mean.

Sure, this is just an internet forum, but laughing at other people doesn't make ourselves any better.

You have the lyrics of a serial sexual predator in your avatar... so hey, we all got blemishes.

Reactions: 12 users

Attachments

• 1359144418703.gif
    1359144418703.gif
    675.9 KB · Views: 101
Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
This is kind of relevant...

When I was in middle school someone asked me what I wanted to do. I told them I wanted to get my bachelor's in premed and then get a pH.d in medicine. :D

Reactions: 8 users
This is kind of relevant...

When I was in middle school someone asked me what I wanted to do. I told them I wanted to get my bachelor's in premed and then get a pH.d in medicine. :D
Ha! I did the same thing when applying for college. I knew I wanted pre-med but didn't know that wasn't a major... so I selected the med tech program as my intended major. :smack:

Reactions: 1 user
On 5+ different occasions:
"person: So what are your plans for after college?
me: I will be applying to medical schools next year
person: Oh that's cool, so you want to be a nurse?"

Another occasion:
"So you want to go to medical school? You should apply to John Hopkins, my cousin just got in and her GPA wasn't as good as yours, so it should be easy for you. Yeah she loves it there, shes getting her masters right now."

I know it's very common for people who are not familiar with medical schools or the application process to make these mistakes, but at this point I don't even bother explaining myself or correcting them anymore lol

Reactions: 9 users
Another occasion:
"So you want to go to medical school? You should apply to John Hopkins, my cousin just got in and her GPA wasn't as good as yours, so it should be easy for you. Yeah she loves it there, shes getting her masters right now."

I know it's very common for people who are not familiar with medical schools or the application process to make these mistakes, but at this point I don't even bother explaining myself or correcting them anymore lol

Or better yet, the good ol', "Yea you could totally get in, my little brother got into CTY last summer."

Reactions: 2 users
Overheard some kids at the gym: "Guys, just go to PA school. It's only three years and you get to do exactly the same stuff as a physician. People think a PA is less than a physician but they're pretty much at the same level"

Overheard some kids at the gym: "Guys, just go to PA school. It's only three years and you get to do exactly the same stuff as a physician. People think a PA is less than a physician but they're pretty much at the same level"
Although that statement is inaccurate, I feel like it's more right than wrong. PA is a pretty good gig and I think it should be more people's backup plan.

Reactions: 4 users
Friend: I have a 3.8 GPA (at a not difficult school), I don't need to study for the MCAT

Me: idk man probably not a good idea especially since you want to go to Baylor or UCSF

F: nah it'll be fine

M: k

F: *scores a 501* I'm not applying to UCSF anymore, but after looking at the site/MSAR I think I have a shot at Vandy, Pritzker, and Baylor.

Reactions: 4 users
Although that statement is inaccurate, I feel like it's more right than wrong. PA is a pretty good gig and I think it should be more people's backup plan.
Yeah I actually did do a lot of research after I overheard them. It's definitely a great backup for people who are incredibly interested in practicing and prescribing medicine and couldn't make the MD/DO cut.

Friend: I have a 3.8 GPA (at a not difficult school), I don't need to study for the MCAT

Me: idk man probably not a good idea especially since you want to go to Baylor or UCSF

F: *scores a 501* I'm not applying to UCSF anymore, but after looking at the site/MSAR I think I have a shot at Vandy, Pritzker, and Baylor.
With a 501, the only way he's getting into those three schools is as a standardized patient or a cadaver.

Reactions: 12 users

Lol...if there was a way for Vandy to reject him BEFORE their typical pre-secondary rejection, they would.

Just out of curiosity

Who are you people and where am I

Yeah I actually did do a lot of research after I overheard them. It's definitely a great backup for people who are incredibly interested in practicing and prescribing medicine and couldn't make the MD/DO cut.

PA is not really a good backup plan. It requires a crapton of work experience like emt that will take a long time (thousands of hours required iirc). It's also surprisingly difficult to get into PA school since there aren't that many spots.

PA is not really a good backup plan. It requires a crapton of work experience like emt that will take a long time (thousands of hours required iirc). It's also surprisingly difficult to get into PA school since there aren't that many spots.
Just because there's requirements and competition doesn't make it a bad backup plan though. The requirements are much lower than going to med school. Plus, if you have failed to get into med school on 2-3 cycles then you should have all of the experiences and hours. Also, there's 225 programs with many more scheduled to open, and there's not nearly as many applicants as there are for med school. So I wouldn't says it's surprisingly difficult. It's not like vet school.

Reactions: 1 users

It's definitely not a career you can walk into, but certainly one that you can work your way into. Most schools require around 500 hours with a handful that require 1000-2000. You can get that experience easily working full time as an EMT, CNA, RN, MA, plebotomist, etc. for one or two years (assuming that the applicant hadn't done any during undergrad). PA schools are a lot less holistic than MD schools, so an applicant with a good gpa (3.6+) and an above average GRE (312+) with enough patient experience has a really good chance of getting in. It's certainly not a cake walk, but if someone is set on practicing medicine and doesn't want to live the lifestyle of an MD, it's definitely attainable.

I heard a really good one recently.

"I can't wait to start med school, it's going to be so fun."

I mean, I think it's one of the more difficult back-up plans out there. The requirements aren't that much lower other than taking the GRE instead of the MCAT. Average GPA of matriculants is 3.5, you need several extra prerequisite classes pre-meds don't have to take. The average applicant has 2-3 years of clinical experience with most of it being direct patient care. Yes, there's more programs, but they tend to be smaller than medical schools (only 3 schools with >100 students in a class per this website), and 3.4 applicants per seat for PA school vs. 2.5 for MD schools (can't easily find data on DO schools). It's a viable back-up, but unless you were planning on having PA school as a back-up all along, it would take most applicants rejected from MD/DO schools a decent amount of time to build up the necessary experiences.
That is true

@md-2020 I felt that way before I began, to be honest...

@CharlieBillings It can be fun if you put things in perspective: you're learning new things and meeting new people. It's no cakewalk, but it can be enjoyed!

Today from Reddit: research makes up for low volunteer hours!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Today from Reddit: research makes up for low volunteer hours!

Depends what schools you're applying to and how significant the research is.

With a 501, the only way he's getting into those three schools is as a standardized patient or a cadaver.
I once met a person who worked as a standardized patient who claimed that she was smarter than the medical students because she was their teacher.

Reactions: 8 users
I once met a person who worked as a standardized patient who claimed that she was smarter than the medical students because she was their teacher.

Those SPs are super impressive, though!

Lol....
I guess patients are smarter than their doctors because they tell the docs their symptoms.

They must have some patience though...do they get needles placed? Man they'd be like pin cushions if so! I hope they're rewarded generously for their service lol.

They must have some patience though...do they get needles placed? Man they'd be like pin cushions if so! I hope they're rewarded generously for their service lol.

One of my buddies is a SP. I don't think they are ever poked and they do get paid pretty well. I think its like $12 an hour, which is pretty good for a flexible pre-med job.

Me as an SP:
tumblr_n4ev4rvcbT1r8nxtno1_250.gif

Reactions: 6 users
I think that there's a grain of truth in that!
Yeah, I suppose it was the context that was more important. She was saying it in terms of her expressing that she's superior to medical students as a point of argument/boasting. So yeah, the role of standardized patient is very important and respectable, but this particular person certainly wasn't.

One of my buddies is a SP. I don't think they are ever poked and they do get paid pretty well. I think its like $12 an hour, which is pretty good for a flexible pre-med job.
Yeah, its a great job for premed. This person was a pretentious theater major who's aunt was an administrative nurse at the University hospital or something and thought she was gods gift to the world and everyone in it. This was from ages ago when I was just starting undergrad where she was in one of my classes and did F@#$ all work for our group project in Statistics, which is what we were arguing about. She was super racist too and said some pretty nasty things about our professor (who was an absolute gem of a guy) because he's Asian. I probably still have screenshots of her emails somewhere. They were wild haha

said some pretty nasty things about our professor (who was an absolute gem of a guy) because he's Asian. I probably still have screenshots of her emails somewhere. They were wild haha
I think I saw her viral video a few years back...

...but there is a special group of SPs just for genital, pelvic, and rectal exams. They have stuff stuck into orifices like 5-10 times a day by med students who have no clue what they're doing.

$12/hour to get stuff jammed up my what?

This is why I chose dentistry.

Reactions: 1 users
I guess I'll join in on the fun.

I began volunteering at an ER at a local hospital. I spot one of the ER techs flipping through an MCAT prep book, so I decided to start a conversation with her since I was planning on applying too. After a few minutes of chatting, she tells me that she eventually plans on doing her residency in EM and a fellowship in plastics. I barely knew her, so I didn't have the heart to tell her that this was some of the most ridiculous **** that I've ever heard and that this "career path" pretty much never happens. I just replied with "Awesome! Good luch:oops:" (in my mind I was like, "wtf? o_O" and never brought up anything premed related again with her.

they were all super into it (in a non-weird way, if that's possible)
lol its not

Edit: But that is awesome. I can only imagine how nerve wracking that is-- Waking up as a nervous med student, knowing that day you have to do some unsavory things in the name of science and education. It's nice to know it (hopefully) won't be that bad.

Last edited: