"Funny quotes from 'less informed' pre-meds," On-Topic Edition

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So help me, if I met someone who said something stupid, I would grab one of these, and smack them upside the head!:

:wow::wow::wow::wow::wow::wow::wow::wow::wow::wow::wow::wow::wow::wow::wow:

That's pretty much what my face did before proceeding to explain why lying is bad. Making use of my education degree :bang:

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Holy **** guys.
It happened.
I saw a freshman in the dining hall wearing a lab coat over some fancy clothing showing off to some girl. I could not make out what was being said but it gets better. The labcoat was embroidered with his name and he had his school ID clipped to it. I thought this was the stuff of legends! I still cant stop laughing.

Reactions: 28 users
Holy **** guys.
It happened.
I saw a freshman in the dining hall wearing a lab coat over some fancy clothing showing off to some girl. I could not make out what was being said but it gets better. The labcoat was embroidered with his name and he had his school ID clipped to it. I thought this was the stuff of legends! I still cant stop laughing.
Rest assured that this is someone who will not be going to med school.

Reactions: 10 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Seemed like the "I decided that finance/communications/exercise science is better fit for me" type of person to me. I am just shocked that these people exist.

Reactions: 3 users
Less a quote, more a story:

The pre-med ultra-gunner at my school goes on and on about how much research she does while constantly brown-nosing professors. She says going to Johns Hopkins is her destiny. As soon as she hears someone got their MCAT score back she hounds them about their score. She took the MCAT and kept bragging about how easy it was. Well, after she got her score back she was nowhere to be found and kept avoiding all of us. Turns out, she got a 502. Needless to say, after all her obnoxious boasting, there was some shade thrown her way.

The pre-med ultra-gunner at my school goes on and on about how much research she does while constantly brown-nosing professors. She says going to Johns Hopkins is her destiny. As soon as she hears someone got their MCAT score back she hounds them about their score. She took the MCAT and kept bragging about how easy it was. Well, after she got her score back she was nowhere to be found and kept avoiding all of us. Turns out, she got a 502. Needless to say, after all her obnoxious boasting, there was some shade thrown her way.

Lmao girl in my class is the same way. Said she studied for the MCAT by reviewing her class notes, got a 495, and submitted only one primary....to WashU. She says she is bound to get in b/c our UG is close to it, and that it is the only place she would consider going to school. There comes a point where its not funny anymore haha.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm currently a first year pre-med but in my gen bio class there's only one other girl that labels herself "pre-med". We had an exam today and I showed up about 30 min early to sit in the hall and study a bit. Had my notes out and such and she strolls up about 3 min before class starts and, "Why are you studying for this? Med schools don't care about GPA. They only care about your MCAT." I asked if she studied at all and she said, "No, I'm gonna breeze through undergrad, get a great MCAT, and have a much better college experience than the lot of you"

I'm probably not in a position to judge since I'm a baby premed but at least I'm not telling people I'm gonna breeze through college :ninja:

Talking to one of my undergrad friends, who I've known for a while and she was pre-med when I first met her

Her: "I don't want to be a physician anymore, I'm just going to go for my PhD"
Me: "oh, you're not pre-med anymore?"
Her: "no I am, I'm still going to medical school"
Me: "so you're going to do an MD/PhD program?"
Her: "no just the PhD"
Am I missing something here

Attachments

• IMG_3267.PNG
    IMG_3267.PNG
    297.7 KB · Views: 85
Reactions: 7 users

I want to believe you but how do you keep that from happening (as faculty)

It's not the faculty that really keeps that from happening. It's the likelihood that such an applicant would submit an app that was so pretentious and obnoxious that the adcoms would be like, "hmmm, why am I imagining that this person would have been the type to wear an embroidered white coat as a premed undergrad?" :D

Reactions: 1 user
Lmao girl in my class is the same way. Said she studied for the MCAT by reviewing her class notes, got a 495, and submitted only one primary....to WashU. She says she is bound to get in b/c our UG is close to it, and that it is the only place she would consider going to school. There comes a point where its not funny anymore haha.

OMG

Imagining score-crazy WUSTL looking at her app....if it somehow made it to the point of review by human eyes. :wacky:

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
I've noticed that those most vocal about being pre-med last in it shortest.

Since I'm an old person, I've noticed that the PARENTS and students who are the most vocal are the ones whose premeds quickly weed out. For over two years two different parents blasted all over Facebook that their high school students were going to be doctors...surgeons, nothing less!...and certainly would be going to a top med school. Both of their students stopped being premeds after the first couple of bio and chem exams.

Reactions: 1 users
This happened to me today. Not exactly a misinformed premed as much as a misinformed parent, but as soon as I left the store I was laughing really hard.

I went to B&N to buy some books and bought "the pre-med survival guide".
The woman at the check out counter: My daughter just graduated from medical school!
Me: Oh, really?! (excited to chat since I was the only person in line) Where's she planning on going to residency?
Woman: Residency?
Me: Yeah, you know the training doctors do after the graduate med school.
Woman: Oh, she's not doing that. She's a NP midwife.
Me: .... Oh. Nice (inwardly disappointed)

Was expecting doctor talk and got the nurse talk. Do people really think nurse = doctor?!

Was expecting doctor talk and got the nurse talk. Do people really think nurse = doctor?!
No, but they think "medical school" means "any school for any level medical profession"

Reactions: 6 users
This happened to me today. Not exactly a misinformed premed as much as a misinformed parent, but as soon as I left the store I was laughing really hard.

I went to B&N to buy some books and bought "the pre-med survival guide".
The woman at the check out counter: My daughter just graduated from medical school!
Me: Oh, really?! (excited to chat since I was the only person in line) Where's she planning on going to residency?
Woman: Residency?
Me: Yeah, you know the training doctors do after the graduate med school.
Woman: Oh, she's not doing that. She's a NP midwife.
Me: .... Oh. Nice (inwardly disappointed)

Use the word "physician" and it bypasses the whole conversation.
Most graduate schools = doctor
Medical school = doctor
Graduate school ≠ physician

Reactions: 4 users
I had a conversation with a premed about two days ago. They took the MCAT and scored poorly, so they were about to ship themselves off to the Caribbean. I brought up the option of podiatry or optometry school. She just went "ew feet" and scoffed at the very notion.

Me "Well, would you rather give a prostate exam as a PCP or remove a toenail as a pod?"

Her "I wont have to do that as a primary care doctor"

Me "..." "You do know how medicine works right? Like you will have to examine feet as a PCP as well?"

Awkwardness intensifies

Me: "Well, I hear the islands are nice this time of year, good luck!"

Reactions: 11 users
Use the word "physician" and it bypasses the whole conversation.
Most graduate schools = doctor
Medical school = doctor
Graduate school ≠ physician
Lol it surprises me that even the lay person gets it. I've had multiple people try to tell me their parents were doctors, and as soon as I clarified with, "like physicians?" they proceed to tell me, "Chiro". Okay.

Some background. We are both in the same year. I applied to med school this cycle, and he is taking a gap year or two. He hasn't taken the mcat yet.

Student: Pchem sucks. I hope I pass.
Me: Yeah I imagine. Thank god I didn't need it for my major. Heard it was one of the hardest chem classes.
Student: Yeah, but it's all good since you need it for the mcat.
Me: No... its not required to take it for the test.
Student: Yeah it is. There's a lot of pchem on it.
Me: There might be some thermodynamic questions, but nothing that wasn't taught in gen chem for that topic.
Student: No you need pchem for the exam.

I just ended it there because he already made up his mind. He knew I had already taken the mcat. Pchem won't hurt you, but it's definitely not required to do well.

Same student on a different day.

S: Yes! She's going to write me a lor.
Me: Awesome! She's so sweet. It was weird because she actually sent me the letter even though I marked I didn't want to see it.
S: Why wouldn't they show it to you?
Me: For the committee you have to sign a paper you give your letter writers. On it you mark that you won't see the letter.
S: Well I'm not going to go through the committee. That's just dumb. I'm gonna make sure all my writers send it to me then I can decide which ones are good. If they write a bad one I won't use it.
Me: Ok.

Hopefully he can come up with a good reason explaining why he didn't use the committee. Besides, you shouldn't ask people who might write you a bad letter. I thought that was common sense??

Teacher in general psych class (I'm like the only non-freshman): "If you're wanting to go into psychiatry change your major now, the field will be dead and obsolete in 5-10 years. GPs will prescribe anything a psychiatrist can and people will use other professionals, like psychologists or therapists."

A good 10+ kids started frantically talking to their neighbor or googling info on psychiatrist jobs.

*she wanted to be a psychiatrist but didn't get into med school and now is in grad school*

Reactions: 8 users
A good 10+ kids started frantically talking to their neighbor or googling info on psychiatrist jobs.
Also an interesting method to see who's there because they think it would look good for future profession/see how much of her class is composed of 'those neurotic-SNDer's'

Wow... this is my first post ever but man is it a doozy.
There's a girl in my Bio 1 lab class. I think she's a freshman. She's always SO extra.
Today we all did brief presentations on our research topics, and one group talked about progeria (a fatal genetic disease that causes children to appear to age rapidly, among other things). At the end it was opened up for questions.

Girl: So is this, like, Benjamin Button disease?
Presenter: Umm... no, this is sort of the opposite of that, where young children appear to age very rapidly.
Girl: Oh. So, like, does Benjamin Button disease exist?
Presenter: ................ No.
(God bless them for being able to give a straight answer. I would have lost it.)

There's a girl in my Bio 1 lab class. I think she's a freshman. She's always SO extra.
Today we all did brief presentations on our research topics, and one group talked about progeria (a fatal genetic disease that causes children to appear to age rapidly, among other things). At the end it was opened up for questions.

Presenter: Umm... no, this is sort of the opposite of that, where young children appear to age very rapidly.
(God bless them for being able to give a straight answer. I would have lost it.)

Technically, I gotta side with Ms. Know-it-all on this one. Progeria is colloquially dubbed "The Benjamin Button" disease, so the presenter incorrectly answered both her questions as presented.

Benjamin Button Disease: The Reason Kids With Progeria Experience Premature Aging, Look 10 Times Their Age

If she had asked, "Is this like what happened to Brad Pitt or if Brad Pitt had progeria in the movie, etc.," then the presenter's answers would be correct.

Technically, I gotta side with Ms. Know-it-all on this one. Progeria is colloquially dubbed "The Benjamin Button" disease, so the presenter incorrectly answered both her questions as presented.

If she had asked, "Is this like what happened to Brad Pitt or if Brad Pitt had progeria in the movie, etc.," then the presenter's answers would be correct.
but... that's literally the opposite of the Benjamin Button thing...
and anyway, she was dead serious about asking if there was a "Benjamin Button" disease wherein someone aged in reverse, like in the movie. She specifically mentioned the movie.

A girl I work with tutors french, and started up a french club. She invited me to their first meeting and said that a lot of the people going don't know french/aren't a french major, and I agreed to go because said girl is very attractive.

I go, and stick out like a sore thumb. Literally the only one there who doesn't know a lick of french. This girl tries to get me to pronounce a french word, I sound like a *****, and everyone goes "awww" and pity laughs.

I end up sitting next to this freshman, he seems nice/not very frenchy either, so we talk for a bit.

Me: Whats your major?
Him: Pre-med, but I was thinking about double majoring in french.
Me: Oh...pre-med, do you mean bio?
Him: No, I'm going to medical school after I graduate.
Me: Pre-med isn't a major at this uni...
Him: Yes it is so-and-so told me that it is, and we are sister schools with (insert top 10 med school), so it is very easy for us to get into their program.
Me: Oh yeah, it would be awesome to go there.
Him: Yeah I'm going to be a neurosurgeon! (fml)

I tried to inform him about the majors at the school, that your major doesn't matter etc etc etc, but this kid wasn't having it. I honestly feel bad for him...he was obviously brainwashed or misinformed by someone. Usually people just think it's easier to tell non-majors that they are majoring in pre-med, but this guy legitimately thought that he was graduating with a premed degree...and that he was getting into an elite program b/c he goes to a small liberal arts school ~15 mins away from it...LOL

Bruh...

A girl I work with tutors french, and started up a french club. She invited me to their first meeting and said that a lot of the people going don't know french/aren't a french major, and I agreed to go because said girl is very attractive...
That story strangely reminds me of myself...except I've been every person you mentioned in it at some point or another.

girl I work with tutors french, and started up a french club. She invited me to their first meeting and said that a lot of the people going don't know french/aren't a french major, and I agreed to go because said girl is very attractive.
Well, what happened with the girl???

Reactions: 7 users
At interview day:
"I think I asked good questions at the pre-interview social, so that will definitely increase my chances of being accepted."

EDIT: I didn't have the heart to correct him. He seemed so happy with himself and it was his first interview of the season.

Last edited:
I love perusing these.

This happened with my sister a few weeks ago, who happens to know a good amount about med school through me.

My sister: What are you majoring in?
Pre-med: I think I want to do pre-med, but maybe not since I'm also interested in dermatology.
My sister: Huh, why do you think those are mutually exclusive?
Pre-med: Because dermatologists aren't real doctors. They don't go to med school because skin is really simple.
My sister: I'm pretty sure dermatologists have to go to med school and do residency and stuff. My sister says they get really high test scores and have to do really well.
Pre-med: Yeah.... okay. *proceeds to roll eyes*

Lol.

Reactions: 13 users
Girl: "I just met this guy. He is really smart and plays college football. He also just got accepted to one of the best medical schools in the country."

Me: "cool, where is he going"

Girl: "Im not for sure but he said he starts in January"

Me: *oh dear*

Reactions: 20 users
Girl: "I just met this guy. He is really smart and plays college football. He also just got accepted to one of the best medical schools in the country."

Lol....note that there wasn't a mention of which country.
#HopeHeDoesntMindHurricaneDamage

For some reason, this reminds me of the girl from my high school who stormed up to a guy, screamed, "You only gave me this ring so I would sleep with you!", and threw the ring in his face. Not sure why that memory comes to mind...

For some reason, this reminds me of the girl from my high school who stormed up to a guy, screamed, "You only gave me this ring so I would sleep with you!", and threw the ring in his face. Not sure why that memory comes to mind...
I remember that too. Odd. Good times.

"I can't wait to be done with these standardized tests"
@ a coffee shop, girl with Mcat book open.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 13 users
On a plane during my interview trail. I decided to start and finish all of grey's anatomy during this interview season.

Premed girl next to me
Girl: grey's anatomy!!!
Me: yeah, trying to finish all 13 season while I have some down time
Girl: good choice. I learn so much from that show

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

No, but they think "medical school" means "any school for any level medical profession"

I feel like I have some version of this conversation about half the time I tell someone I'm starting medical school in the fall:

Person: "What do you do?"
Me: "Right now I'm doing blahblah, but I start medical school in the fall"
Person: "Oh that's great! We need more nurses. What kind of nursing do you want to do?"
Me: "... I don't want to do nursing. That's why I'm going to medical school."
Person: "Huh?"

I feel like I have some version of this conversation about half the time I tell someone I'm starting medical school in the fall:

Person: "What do you do?"
Me: "Right now I'm doing blahblah, but I start medical school in the fall"
Person: "Oh that's great! We need more nurses. What kind of nursing do you want to do?"
Me: "... I don't want to do nursing. That's why I'm going to medical school."
Person: "Huh?"

I don’t think it stops until you’re actually a doctor, and even then it probably doesn’t stop for women. I’ve had a number of people ask me what I’ll be when I graduate. And they don’t mean what specialty. They mean what healthcare profession.

Reactions: 5 users
I don’t think it stops until you’re actually a doctor, and even then it probably doesn’t stop for women. I’ve had a number of people ask me what I’ll be when I graduate. And they don’t mean what specialty. They mean what healthcare profession.

Yep. If I'm feeling feisty enough that day I'll usually follow that exchange up with, "Are you assuming that I'll be a nurse because I'm a woman?"

One of the physicians I shadowed was a female surgeon, and I lost count of how many times we went into pre-op or into a patient's room in clinic to hear, "When is the doctor coming in?"

Reactions: 9 users