"Funny quotes from 'less informed' pre-meds," On-Topic Edition

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I don’t think it stops until you’re actually a doctor, and even then it probably doesn’t stop for women. I’ve had a number of people ask me what I’ll be when I graduate. And they don’t mean what specialty. They mean what healthcare profession.

Yep. If I'm feeling feisty enough that day I'll usually follow that exchange up with, "Are you assuming that I'll be a nurse because I'm a woman?"

One of the physicians I shadowed was a female surgeon, and I lost count of how many times we went into pre-op or into a patient's room in clinic to hear, "When is the doctor coming in?"

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 9 users
I feel like I have some version of this conversation about half the time I tell someone I'm starting medical school in the fall:

Person: "What do you do?"
Me: "Right now I'm doing blahblah, but I start medical school in the fall"
Person: "Oh that's great! We need more nurses. What kind of nursing do you want to do?"
Me: "... I don't want to do nursing. That's why I'm going to medical school."
Person: "Huh?"
Are people really this stupid??? Somebody who doesn't understand what med school does needs a good neurologist!

Reactions: 3 users
Are people really this stupid??? Somebody who doesn't understand what med school does needs a good neurologist!

yes... yes they are. I have literally been asked "so are you going to be an LPN or RN or CNA...?" - by OTHER medical professionals, after I said I was a med student and going on residency interviews.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Honestly, it used to surprise me. But now I see all of these stories along with some personal experiences and it’s getting less cringey every time. It’s kinda sad

Reactions: 2 users
yes... yes they are. I have literally been asked "so are you going to be an LPN or RN or CNA...?" - by OTHER medical professionals, after I said I was a med student and going on residency interviews.
giphy.gif

my cousin is a nurse, and when we talk about it she routinely says that she "went to med school for nursing" rather than "I went to nursing school."

I just let it go.

my cousin is a nurse, and when we talk about it she routinely says that she "went to med school for nursing" rather than "I went to nursing school."

I just let it go.
Props to you for letting it go... I would go full red-head rage on her after about the second time.

Reactions: 2 users
Me talking with a pre-med friend about clinical experiences and vented about something that had happened

Fr: I'm glad I haven't done any shadowing or volunteering, sounds annoying.
Me: ....Uhhhh you haven't shadowed or volunteered at all?
Fr: I have research... and if your grades are good they won't care
Me: ...ok................... (argued for a bit about this)

Eventually I convinced them to at least shadow for a bit but I'm scared for them lol

Members don't see this ad :)
Not a premed, but...

Once when I was moonlighting, I was in the ICU dropping off a patient who was in police custody and the corrections officer asked about my ACU-pattern cap. I told her I was an Army doctor. She said, "You should look into the Army's educational programs. They'll pay for you to go back to school and get your BSN." The CRNA with me said, "Honey, he's the MD...he's already way past a BSN." It was awkward.

Reactions: 26 users
Not a premed, but...

Once when I was moonlighting, I was in the ICU dropping off a patient who was in police custody and the corrections officer asked about my ACU-pattern cap. I told her I was an Army doctor. She said, "You should look into the Army's educational programs. They'll pay for you to go back to school and get your BSN." The CRNA with me said, "Honey, he's the MD...he's already way past a BSN." It was awkward.

I'm surprised you're a guy. Usually we get all those comments.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 4 users
Not a premed, but...

Once in the OR we had a foreign body removal from a prisoner’s hand. Tons of glass and plastic. As we were getting ready to knock him out and get started, one of us asked him what he did to his hand.

He said, as calmly as if he were talking about the weather, “I filled a coffee pot with bleach and punched a guy in the face with it.”

Needless to say, the CRNA immediately pushed the prop and said nighty night.

Some kid had a name "broke med student" on a forum. He was 18-20 /premed.

Me: you are not a broke med student. you are a broke premed. You are pretending to be someone you are not.
Brokemedstudent: I'm not pretending to be someone. If i'm gonna go to med school and am currently at loyola anyway I'm already technically a med student so I'm not pretending to be something I'm not.
Me: No... you are not technically a med student. That's like saying a med student is technically a doctor. Just no.
Brokemedstudent: When your dad is a cardiothoracic surgeon and you go help out in the hospital he works in to learn from other doctors while taking biochem to be a neurosurgeon, you can call yourself a med student.

*dying here*

Reactions: 13 users
Talking to a senior in high school asking about Biomedical Engineering.

“I like how BME is more applied and doesn’t have so many bio and chem classes that are useless for medical school. What exactly do bioengieers do?”

“You know that those classes are still crucial parts of being a doctor right? I wouldn’t take them lightly. Plus they are important if you want a solid foundation in conduction biomedical research.”

“Yes you’re right they will be important for research and internships I have to do. Thanks for the advice”

This man will not be premed after his freshman hear.

Reactions: 1 user
Not exactly a less-than-informed pre-med, but there is this pre-med girl at my CC that has this laptop cover with "its a beautiful day to save lives" on it. um, you are a freshman doing pre-reqs, not saving lives lol. I cringe every time I see it.

Reactions: 8 users
Not exactly a less-than-informed pre-med, but there is this pre-med girl at my CC that has this laptop cover with "its a beautiful day to save lives" on it. um, you are a freshman doing pre-reqs, not saving lives lol. I cringe every time I see it.

It's a quote from Grey's Anatomy. Not sure if that makes it any less cringe-worthy, but I'm fairly certain she isn't talking about herself. :)

Reactions: 8 users
Context: I have O chem 2 with a peer who is 41 or 42 y/o that graduated from UC Irvine law supposedly top of his class. Apparently he has been taking med school pre reqs to take the pattent bar.

Last week he informed me that he will "try" the MCAT at the end of the summer and apply to a DO school locally. Outside of having a law degree and a strong GPA he has no ECs, no volunteering of any kind, no research, nothing. He would like to "get rich" off of patenting and selling stem cells. He routinely talks down to the professors as he makes "200 K a year" and has a net worth of "2.5 million."

Last edited:
Context: I have O chem 2 with a peer who is 41 or 42 y/o that graduated from UC Irvine law supposedly top of his class. Apparently he has been taking med school pre reqs to take the pattern bar.

Last week he informed me that he will "try" the MCAT at the end of the summer and apply to a DO school locally. Outside of having a law degree and a strong GPA he has no ECs, no volunteering of any kind, no research, nothing. He would like to "get rich" off of patenting and selling stem cells. He routinely talks down to the professors as he makes "200 K a year" and has a net worth of "2.5 million."
My student interviewers will look forward to eating this person alive.

Reactions: 22 users
Context: I have O chem 2 with a peer who is 41 or 42 y/o that graduated from UC Irvine law supposedly top of his class. Apparently he has been taking med school pre reqs to take the pattern bar.

It progressively went from mildly weird to I want to slap this man

Reactions: 14 users
It progressively went from mildly weird to I want to slap this man
You should feel what it's like when he says, "If you need help on our next exam I'd love to show you my insights and what I think is important." He said this in attempt to essentially belittle me because he scored 1 point higher on a previous exam. If I score higher its because he did not have time to study even though we both are taking the same number of credit hours and work fulltime. :rolleyes:

Writing this out makes me think I should distance myself a little.

Last edited:
Reactions: 10 users
You should feel what it's like when he says, "If you need help on our next exam I'd love to show you my insights, and what I think is important." He said this in attempt to essentially belittle me because he scored 1 point higher on a previous exam. If I score higher its because he did not have time to study even though we both are taking the same number of credit hours and work fulltime. :rolleyes:

Probably, unless you're looking for more /r/iamverysmart

You should feel what it's like when he says, "If you need help on our next exam I'd love to show you my insights, and what I think is important." He said this in attempt to essentially belittle me because he scored 1 point higher on a previous exam. If I score higher its because he did not have time to study even though we both are taking the same number of credit hours and work fulltime. :rolleyes:

Holy textbook attribution theory/actor-observer bias

Reactions: 1 users

Making money off of stem cells was one of the major evils my a prof last semester told me about.....( how ppl make money off of BS cures to desperate people).
I just....can't.

Making money off of stem cells was one of the major evils my a prof last semester told me about.....( how ppl make money off of BS cures to desperate people).
I just....can't.

I'm assuming you're talking about some shady, back-door, stem cell "doctor" that probably peddles it for pseudoscientific applications?

Because stem cell therapeutics have well researched and supported clinical value in several areas (Assuming you're actually seeing a real doctor). Regenerative medicine is very much a real thing.

Anyway...

A coworker of a friend of mine recently got admitted to med school. She/He promptly decided to remove the name tag from the cubical and hand write in "MD c/o 2022" after his/her name. Because, you know, if everyone doesn't know you got in... like, what's the point... /s

Context: I have O chem 2 with a peer who is 41 or 42 y/o that graduated from UC Irvine law supposedly top of his class. Apparently he has been taking med school pre reqs to take the pattent bar.

Pity him. Two years ago, I was basically that guy. Except with lots of volunteering and less douchiness. Maybe he’ll join SDN and absorb a clue.

A coworker of a friend of mine recently got admitted to med school. She/He promptly decided to remove the name tag from the cubical and hand write in "MD c/o 2022" after his/her name. Because, you know, if everyone doesn't know you got in... like, what's the point... /s

Yeah, it’s up there with having a username or profile that says “future ____” (cardiologist, surgeon etc)... it’s so cringey. If you need to constantly tell everyone about it, you’re probably not cut out for it.

I'm assuming you're talking about some shady, back-door, stem cell "doctor" that probably peddles it for pseudoscientific applications?

Because stem cell therapeutics have well researched and supported clinical value in several areas (Assuming you're actually seeing a real doctor). Regenerative medicine is very much a real thing.

Anyway...

Right, I meant shady people who don't know what they're doing.
The person that poster was talking about ( someone who wants to make money off of stem cells and talks down to profs and has a high networth or something) seems like the type who may do this. I am not talking about actual doctors coming up with actual cures with real stem cell research.
Should have made that more clear.

In physics lab

Preppy bro: oh man what happened to your hand
Me (with hand in cast): I broke it during my jiu jitsu class
Preppy bro: I’ve never broken a bone in my body

Yada yada

Hot girl lab partner (sitting down): omg what happened to you!
Me: I broke——
Preppy bro: I broke my back!
Girl: what?
Me: what?
Preppy bro: yeah, I broke it in high school, full body cast, healed up in a few months though. That’s why I want to be a doctor

More Yada yada (but with total confusion to this dude)

Hot girl: so I got my new apartment
Me: oh cool, how is it?
Hot girl: it’s——
Preppy bro: (rudely interrupting) I don’t even have an apartment! Know anyone I can talk to?

Yada yada (confused beyond all hell to this homeless dude in my physics lab)

Me and girl keep talking as preppy dude searches on his phone

10 minutes later

Preppy bro: (rudely interrupting us, again) I just bought a house!

Me and girl completely confused:
What???

Preppy bro: yeah, just found it on Zillow and called my realtor, can’t wait to move in, only 300k for the mortgage.

Me: oh, I didn’t here you make a call
Preppy bro: yeah, I just did it so quick and told the realtor to buy me whatever, didn’t want to miss anything in lab
Me: (knowing this dude is so full of it) ok cool man, congrats

Preppy dude: can’t believe you broke your hand man, I never broke a bone before. I can’t wait to help people as a doctor, what med schools do you wanna go to?

Me: applied to a bunch of md and do schools, no real preference.
Preppy bro: DO’s aren’t doctors, can’t even practice in all states. I want to be a surgeon and they can’t even do that.
Me: oh, thanks for the tip

Yes, this is real. And what makes it funnier is the dude was like the quintessential guido.

Reactions: 22 users
In physics lab

Yada yada

Preppy bro: yeah, I broke it in high school, full body cast, healed up in a few months though. That’s why I want to be a doctor

Preppy bro: (rudely interrupting) I don’t even have an apartment! Know anyone I can talk to?

10 minutes later

What???

Preppy bro: yeah, just found it on Zillow and called my realtor, can’t wait to move in, only 300k for the mortgage.

Preppy bro: yeah, I just did it so quick and told the realtor to buy me whatever, didn’t want to miss anything in lab

Preppy dude: can’t believe you broke your hand man, I never broke a bone before. I can’t wait to help people as a doctor, what med schools do you wanna go to?

Preppy bro: DO’s aren’t doctors, can’t even practice in all states. I want to be a surgeon and they can’t even do that.

Yes, this is real. And what makes it funnier is the dude was like the quintessential guido.
" I want to be a surgeon and they can't even do that"
:rofl:
I mean I can't believe he just...bought...a house....

In physics lab

As a fellow jiu jitsu fighter who is only 6 months in, can you tell me exactly how you broke your hand so I can avoid the same mistake? :confused::ninja:

As a fellow jiu jitsu fighter who is only 6 months in, can you tell me exactly how you broke your hand so I can avoid the same mistake? :confused::ninja:
My advice would be to watch your rolls, whether getting rolled or rolling your opponent. I was sparring with a guy who had 70 lbs on me; I hook swept him but landed on my hand lol. Another time I saw someone hard plant their hand to try preventing getting tipped off a side mount but he bent his wrist back.

My advice would be to watch your rolls, whether getting rolled or rolling your opponent. I was sparring with a guy who had 70 lbs on me; I hook swept him but landed on my hand lol. Another time I saw someone hard plant their hand to try preventing getting tipped off a side mount but he bent his wrist back.
:confused::confused::confused: I’m always planting my hand to avoid being taken down, and I always knew that was a terrible idea! :eek:

If you keep training I can tell you with 100% certainty you will get injuries, which may or may not be worse than a hand fracture (knee ligament injuries especially come to mind). I got my blue belt last summer and have not trained consistently since due to continuous injuries. There are huge risks and benefits with jits. However, there does appear to be a very small population of people that can make it to black belt with very few injuries. Typically these people have superior physical attributes.

If you keep training, which you probably will, choose your training partners WISELY and tap if you're getting subbed. Peace.

he probably didn't...
Well, even pretending he did tho. Like just suddenly being like " I bought a house" just makes you seem like a freaking lunatic.

Well, even pretending he did tho. Like just suddenly being like " I bought a house" just makes you seem like a freaking lunatic.
I don’t think a lunatic is capable of understanding that about himself

Overcrowded mat, we were near the edge, which is about 1.5 ft above a tile floor. We started in the standing, he does judo too and wanted some practice. He did a sacrifice take down and we went off the edge of the mat and I broke my fall with my fist on the tile. The way he had grabbed me and performed the take down I couldn't get my hand out and properly break my fall. Falling off the mat also f'd up the move, but that's what we get for losing our mat awareness.

In physics lab

Yada yada

10 minutes later

What???

You should have started saying some random (fake) things you did that progressively got more and more ludicrous so he would have to keep up with “one-upping” you... so that in the end he would be saying something like he went to space in Elon musk’s Tesla

Reactions: 18 users
You should have started saying some random (fake) things you did that progressively got more and more ludicrous so he would have to keep up with “one-upping” you... so that in the end he would be saying something like he went to space in Elon musk’s Tesla

Yesssssssssssssssss, do it and report back

I thought of it but was kinda scared.

I had two classes with him that semester. At the end, I was happy I would never have to see him again. Until the start of this past fall semester....FML. I'm walking down the hall to my next class and run into him and he stops me and starts chatting up a storm. That's when I realized he is standing outside a lecture hall, the same one I am waiting for.

He asks if i'm here for this class, and thankfully I remembered there are 4 or 5 entrances to the lecture hall. So I say no that i'm heading over yander to meet a few people and break away from him. He gave me a good ole fist bump on my shoulder and said, "see ya later lab bro". So I enter into the lecture hall from the back and see him sitting in the front row. No joke ya'll, I see him turn his head around slowly like hes the chick in the exorcist, and make direct eye contact with me. Swear he put a tracking device on me somehow. He stares at me for like 10 awkward (felt more like a full minute) seconds, and then finally gives me the biggest, exaggerated head nod I had ever seen. I looked away, and never looked back.

Him: “oh, you got accepted to a school? Which one?”

Me: “[com]”

Him: “is that a D.O. school?”

Me: “yes”

Him: “Well, you can still be proud of that even though it’s D.O.”

Reactions: 6 users
Him: “oh, you got accepted to a school? Which one?”

Me: “[com]”

Him: “is that a D.O. school?”

Me: “yes”

Him: “Well, you can still be proud of that even though it’s D.O.”

Thank goodness you got permission!

Reactions: 16 users
In physics lab

Yada yada

10 minutes later

What???

What’s his name and address? I just wanna talk

I’ll pick you up on the way ;)